South Beach Diet - DF is starving!

View Full Version : DF is starving!

jerseygiiirl
09-19-2011, 07:50 PM
He's eating what I'm eating but feeling the need to snack way more. How many servings of cheese can we have? He already had a 2% cheese stick, light laughing cow cheese with celery, green peppers, a sugar free Popsicle, 2 phase 1 pb cookies I baked last night and planning on having a pb cup tonight!!! This is all besides the 3 meals for the day! Sheesh!!!

jenne1017
09-19-2011, 09:05 PM
he needs to be eating more veggies and some beans. The sweets should be limited to 50 cals. a day. The 2 servings of cheese should be enough. How about milk then? Water???

jerseygiiirl
09-19-2011, 09:10 PM
I told him to start downing water. Gave him a glass of milk and he is ok now. He def needs to drink more water. I also have to add in beans to our meals. So not a fan of beans though :(

murphmitch
09-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Extra protein snacks like boiled eggs, nuts or nut butters, deli meat roll-ups, veggies with hummus (get the beans in there), plain yogurt will help keep you full too!

Sakai
09-19-2011, 10:52 PM
Protein is his friend. There's half a dozen different beans out there. I'm sure you'll find a few that you and your husband will like. I love great norther beans(white beans) i only discovered them last year. Garbonzo beans (chick peas) is what's in hummus and my DF and i LOVE hummus. we throw beans in everything, soup, salads, mass them into dip and make wraps with them.

jasmtnljj
09-20-2011, 08:04 AM
if he is not drinking enough water he can mistaken the dehydration feeling for hunger and keep trying to satisfy his thirst with his food. He needs to be drinking water all day long and before meals. He will find his appetite shrinks when he is properly hydrated. And he needs a lot more protein! Give him some chicken breasts etc. The things u listed would be processed on the quicker side

jerseygiiirl
09-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks everyone. I told him more water, water, water!!!

SouthLake
09-20-2011, 10:27 AM
What are you eating for your "normal" meals? DH gets hungry on plan too unless we kind of bulk things up. I found what has helped with us is having two different veggies at each meal, especially dinner. We'll usually do one that's kind of a faux starch (like cauliflower) or a little fancier (like green beans with a little bit of bacon and onions) and one that's more simple (steamed broccoli or roasted brussel sprouts). That way he gets variety instead of feeling like he's chugging broccoli. Plus, it makes the meals feel more substantial to him. He is generally not a salad for a meal kind of guy- unless it is very hot, and then, sometimes, he's okay with a salad for lunch.

For snacks, we make sure he has nuts, some string cheese, some veggies, some meat roll ups, a hard boiled egg, etc. I give him lots of options so that if he feels that he is really hungry and needs them, he has them. Most of the time, he only eats one or two, but he likes the feeling of knowing that he is choosing not to eat them, not that he can't. Also, while I keep my meat portions to roughly 4 oz, he has 6, sometimes more. We also do beans a fair amount- especially with like fajitas, or homemade burrito bowls.

Water also helps- instead of counting glasses- we got him a 1 liter Nalgene bottle and he aims for two a day. He prefers that over 8 individual glasses, and he drinks more if he keeps his water bottle with him.

jerseygiiirl
09-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks for all the info. I need to incorporate more veggies at dinner. I hate most veggies so I live on salads to get my veggies in. I'll have to start making him more variety of veggies. Definetly have to do beans too but again not a fan of them either, lol.