Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/175/125

Height: 5'3"

Question Thyroid Issue?

I am curious to know if anyone found that it was a thyroid condition that kept them from losing weight. What made you go to Dr to check on thyroid issue?
Mouse46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW210/CW189/GW115

Height: 5ft

I felt like I was having trouble losing weight, my weight gain didn't really match what I was eating (or so I thought at the time). My hair felt like straw, and my skin was really dry, I was also truly very tired all the time. Then I saw something on television about symptoms of hypothyroidism and I was convinced I had it.

Turns out I was fine, but it was nice for a minute to think there was a reason why I was having so much trouble losing weight

I was already getting excited at the thought that the doctor would prescribe me something and I would be able to pop that pill and the weight would just melt off. In reality hypothyroidism is a serious health problem and I am truly grateful that I don't have it in the end.

If you're concerned and you have health insurance... just go get tested. If you don't have health insurance then statistics say there is a 90% chance that you don't have it so the odds are on your side

I did find out though that I had low levels of vitamin D as well as vitamin B12, and low levels of both are linked to weight gain so you might learn something else useful to your weight loss. I did buy supplements but I'm really bad at remembering to take them, but when I'm consistent I honestly feel better all around.
luckyme0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/175/125

Height: 5'3"

Thank you LuckyMe. I have felt exactly the same way "prescribe me a pill to help me lose". It would be nice wouldn't it. You are right though... I wouldn't want hyperthyroidism. It is a very serious thing.

Thanks for the reminder on Vitamin D & B 12. I have heard they help in energy & weight loss.
Mouse46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

One sign would be if you had all the other symptoms, you'd be more concerned about them than your weight. Some thyroid problems can leave you feeling really tired and never having enough energy.

luckyme0510, when you were checked did they test for anything else? Or did the vitamins make you feel better? Since you listed some of the symptoms, and it wasn't hypothyroidism, what else could it of been making you feel tired?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote