Weight Loss Support - How much for a plus size to drop a size?

fitwayoflife
09-16-2011, 05:52 AM
I started out at 270 and am now at 256.2. My clothes have been getting looser, but I haven't dropped a size yet. I know that plus sized clothes are cut bigger, so it is going to take me a while to drop a size. Should 30 pounds do it? I know everybody is different, just trying to get an idea of when I might go down a size. I'm so tired of being an 18W!

Lori Bell
09-16-2011, 06:41 AM
It takes a little less for each size down. I started at 333 pounds and at a comfortable size 30. It took around 30 pounds to drop to the the next size down, (28). It took around 25 to drop to the next size (26) then it was pretty much 20 pounds per size for a while, and by the time I got to a size 10 it was around 10 pounds per size. All I can tell you for exact sure is it took me 190 pounds to drop 12 dress sizes...from a 30 to a 6! :)

My theory is, once you make it out of the 20's it takes the number of pounds as the size your are trying to get out of! LOL

zoodoo613
09-16-2011, 07:20 AM
My theory is, once you make it out of the 20's it takes the number of pounds as the size your are trying to get out of! LOL

I have no idea if that actually works, but I like the sound of it! :)

toastedsmoke
09-16-2011, 07:31 AM
It takes A WHILE! I started at 275 so pretty close to your starting point wearing a 20 or an 18W. It took me 40-50lbs (225) to need a 16W (although to be fair I probably could have gotten into the 16W sooner maybe, but that's the weight when I really couldn't deny I was no longer an 18W), then a further 20 lbs (205) to need a 14, then 10lbs (195) to get into a 12 and need a belt for a 14. And another 10 lbs (185) to need a size 10. Right now I'm at 183 and can comfortably button and zip size 8 jeans but I'm very self conscious about any appearance of muffin top so i'll wait maybe another 3-5 lbs but I think when I'm 177-180 it should be fine.

It IS very frustrating, but keep at it, the further you go, the faster the sizes drop.

runningfromfat
09-16-2011, 07:37 AM
Have you tried on 16's at all? You're taller than me and I was wearing (tight) 16's at 225lbs so they might actually fit pretty soon for you! After that it really depended on where I lost weight. I was in tight 14's before I hit Onderland so it was about a 20-25lb difference. I was in 12's in the low 190's and now I'm in 10-12's in the low 180's (in the last 10lbs I haven't lost much around my bust/waist/hips but rather my arms/thighs/face/back).

So, yeah, I think maybe 20-30 per size in plus-sizes and then roughly 10lbs for non plus-sized clothes. I like to track my measurements so I know where I'm losing so I don't get disheartened if I'm not dropping clothes sizes as quick as I'd like. For instance, right now you might be losing a lot in your arms/back/neck/calves/thighs etc but not in the mid-part of your body, which is what allows you to drop a size.

BTW, good job on your weight loss, I'm sure you'll be seeing the next size down soon! ;)

April Snow
09-16-2011, 07:39 AM
I started at 261 and it took a good 25-30 to see a difference in clothing sizes and it's still going pretty slowly to see a full fledged size change at this point (over 45 lbs now)

sontaikle
09-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Dropping a size doesn't mean that your clothes will be falling off you :) Have you tried on any 16s? You could drop a few sizes and still be able to wear a bigger size depending on the garment as there aren't any HUGE differences between sizes usually.

I can still wear some of my bigger clothes depending on how they're supposed to fit. For example I still wear a pair of size 14 jeggings (I'm a size 6/8 now) that don't fit like they're supposed to (i.e. skin tight) and are quite loose. However they're really really comfortable and great for days when I feel like lounging around.

I know I started out at a 16/18, but I can't tell you how much weight it took for me to drop to a solid 16. Looking at pictures of me in high school (I didn't weigh myself in hs) I can see I was probably above 200 and didn't realize it. I got down to 200 as I left high school and was a solid 16 at that point.

berryblondeboys
09-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Now you all got me worried - I just bought a slew of size 12s as they now fit (14s are wearable but baggy). I have 10 more pounds until my initial goal and I'm sure it will take me at least 2 months to lose those 10 pounds now that the weight is coming off more slowly. I assumed that in 10 pounds or even 15 pouds I would still wear a size 12 and not need a 10. I hope this size will last through winter!

runningfromfat
09-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Now you all got me worried - I just bought a slew of size 12s as they now fit (14s are wearable but baggy). I have 10 more pounds until my initial goal and I'm sure it will take me at least 2 months to lose those 10 pounds now that the weight is coming off more slowly. I assumed that in 10 pounds or even 15 pouds I would still wear a size 12 and not need a 10. I hope this size will last through winter!

It really, really depends. Like I mentioned above it's been slower for me to get into 10's completely vs. 12's because I've been losing weight everywhere else but my bust/waist/hips. Also, I wouldn't go by sizes that you used to wear in the past due to sizes getting bigger, in general. I used to wear 8's in HS at 140lbs but considering that I'm already into mostly 10's and some 12's, well it seems like I'll be there way before 140lbs! I have a feeling, though, that my 8's then are probably like 4's or 6's now. I'm honestly not sure. :dizzy: Also, you lift right? So that helps you fit in smaller sizes sooner, just to add to the fun! :lol:

rachaelm
09-16-2011, 10:14 AM
What a great question. I don't know the answer, as I'm just starting my journey, but kudos to all you size dropping folks!!!

Lovely
09-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Speaking about my first time losing weight:

Took me a good 50 pounds my first time.

I was sausage-casing stuffed into my size 24's. Took 50 pounds to fit comfortably into a 22, but I didn't actually buy new pants until size 20's/18's.

berryblondeboys
09-16-2011, 10:20 AM
It really, really depends. Like I mentioned above it's been slower for me to get into 10's completely vs. 12's because I've been losing weight everywhere else but my bust/waist/hips. Also, I wouldn't go by sizes that you used to wear in the past due to sizes getting bigger, in general. I used to wear 8's in HS at 140lbs but considering that I'm already into mostly 10's and some 12's, well it seems like I'll be there way before 140lbs! I have a feeling, though, that my 8's then are probably like 4's or 6's now. I'm honestly not sure. :dizzy: Also, you lift right? So that helps you fit in smaller sizes sooner, just to add to the fun! :lol:

Sizes have DEFINITELY changed - I wore a size 12 for a microsecond in HS. I wore 9/10s when I was 140 pounds and still growing/filling out. I wore a 14 most of HS at 160s and got up to a size 16 when I graduated HS at 179 in 1988. I know they did a shirt in sizing in the mid 90s, but they must have done another in the 2000s.

I have my wedding suit in a size 16 - it fits me now (getting looser though). I weighed 189 or so when I got married. I have a LLBean skirt in my closet in a size 16 that just fits now.... vanity sizing - big time! I about died when I had to buy a ten in a couple designer's stuff - so what do TRULY small people wear - a negative 4?

For sweaters/shirts I need a large - but in some sweaters, medium and i'm chesty - 38 DD/DDD. I actually feel sorry for the petite/thin women - finding clothes has to be getting harder and harder in the US.

sontaikle
09-16-2011, 11:41 AM
I have my wedding suit in a size 16 - it fits me now (getting looser though). I weighed 189 or so when I got married. I have a LLBean skirt in my closet in a size 16 that just fits now.... vanity sizing - big time! I about died when I had to buy a ten in a couple designer's stuff - so what do TRULY small people wear - a negative 4?

I think they're actually making/talking about making negative sizes. I know there was some backlash because size 0 is "too skinny" apparently. :?: I think most people just think of 6+ foot tall models who are size 0 or 00, but forget about shorter women and naturally petite women who are size 0 naturally when at an ideal weight.

I've read some petite fashion blogs and the women there often lament that an XXS is too big for them!

Lovely
09-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Vanity sizing... Ugh.

You know what I'd love to see? INCHES! Like guys use.

Just... measure my inseam. Measure my hips. There. There's my size. You can't vanity-size my hips!

It'll still be like before in that you have to find the right brand that fits correctly, of course. (And guys have to do that, too.) But, at least it's no-nonsense.

ennay
09-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Vanity sizing is ridiculous. When I was at my low weight a couple years ago I was wearing a size 4 - even had a 2 in a couple brands. I pulled out my favorite size 10 jeans from highschool (acid washed baby!) and I could not button them. Granted in highschool I had to lay on my bed and exhale to button them, but they were still a size 10.

How people order from catalogs baffles me because I have no idea from day to day and brand to brand what size I am.

I had been wearing gap size 8 jeans at one point on my journey and lost weight so I ordered a pair of size 6 SAME STYLE AND CUT online 1 year after buying the 8's and they were BIGGER than the 8's. One year

As to the original question the first size always takes longest because most people are squeezing in to a size before they make a change in their life and then once you get used to clothes feeling comfortable instead of pinching you you dont want to go back to sausage so you lose way more than a size before you change sizes. Right now my clothes are uncomfortably tight so I am guessing a good 20 lbs before I move 1 size because really I should be wearing a bigger size but I refuse to spend $$ on fat clothes.

April Snow
09-16-2011, 12:15 PM
oh, vanity sizes!!

I tried on my old school Victoria's Secret jeans yesterday - they are heavy weight 100% cotton, not a smidge of stretch in them. 16s and I couldn't even pull them all the way up, forget about buttoning them. Meanwhile, the 16s I've got on today are practically falling down! (but these are excessively large and I think I'm a pretty normal 16 at this point, as long as they are cut right - a normal 16 won't fit my waist at all but if they are low rise, I can wear them as my hips are the right size for them, just not my waist!)

toastedsmoke
09-16-2011, 12:20 PM
berryblondeboys: That happened to me at size 14 and size 12. In January I had the first massive shopping spree since I began my weight loss journey and was soooo excited to fit into size 14 and a tight size 12 (so I bought lots of half my jeans and pants-like 6pairs- in 14s and half in 12s thinking I was being smart). Unfortunately, only 15-20lbs later in March/April, 14s were unwearable (really baggy in the thigh and butt and 12s needed to be belted) and I had to get a couple of 10s, now I try not to go too crazy when I go shopping since I'm not yet ready to be in maintenance mode. I went on vacation and 10s needed a belt, but still fit ok in the thigh so I got one 8 that I'll wear for special occasions in 3-5lbs. I'm still going to rock my 10s, 12s and 14s with a belt though... I don't have the luxury of getting only 4 months wear out of clothes. I confess I only recently stopped belting my 16s and 18s to wear at home (I do have standards for if I'm leaving my house) because I was made to realize how ridiculous they looked.

Lovely: The sad part is that even in Europe where some of the continental-type stores sell pants by measurements, some of those measurements have been found to be off. Like selling 30" waist jeans (for men) that were measured and found to actually be 36". So even with measurements, YMMV. It's all down to the brand.

ennay: I heard that Gap changed their sizing a couple of times in the 2000s. Like at the beginning of the 2000s they ran small to true but then people complained that they're clothes were too small (kind of like how people complain about shops like H&M) so then around like the mid-late noughties they changed their sizing and started running really big like up to 2 sizes big. They're supposed to have fixed that and only be running about 1 size too big now. I prefer Old Navy personally for play or Banana Republic for work but I got all this from my friend who's obsessed with them and frequently has rants about their sizing issues.

runningfromfat
09-16-2011, 01:16 PM
On the issue of vanity sizing I found this blog pretty interesting: http://www.vanitysizing.com/ I will say, though, that the tone can be pretty condescending at times so be warned!! :lol:

However, basically the idea is that they have to market to their customer base and since the US is getting larger, in general, the sizes keep going up. :dizzy: HOWEVER, what drives me NUTS is that the measurements for the sizes in the charts don't match the actual clothes. I get that some clothes (especially with a lot of stretch material) can fit a larger number of measurements but couldn't they at least put a range of measurements up there? It just seems to me that they'd save a lot of money on returns!!!

FWIW, I don't have a problem with them readjusting the sizes to their consumer base. It probably makes it earlier for them to sell more clothes. I just wish they were more upfront about who they are marketing to. So, say, a company wanted to market their clothes to shorter, pear shaped women, fine! But say that so then I don't spend time browsing your store, using your dressing rooms and messing up your store when I won't end up buying anything. I just don't get why there has to be so much mystery and chaos behind it. Obviously, they have to use measurements to make the clothes and they try them on fit models so why not just tell us who these clothes were intended for???? :?:

fitwayoflife
09-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I will wait until 240 pounds, which should be at the end of November, until I try a smaller size again. That will be about 30 pounds total. I can't wait until I can get into an 18 regular or a 16W.

FitGirlyGirl
09-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Here are my weights and sizes. I use the weight I got on the morning of the day I first discover I am able to fit into a new size.

245 - Just barely needing a 22
230 - 20
221 - 18
212 - 16w
201 - 16
189 - 14
180 - 12
169 - 10

Then I gained nearly 30 pounds back and then started over. When I started over losing weight again I added weight lifting and it changed what size I wore at what weight. With weight lifting:
190 - 12
176 - 10
162 - 8/9

Vanity sizing drives me insane. It also makes me mad. Obesity is our number 1 health problem in this country. Telling a woman who is actually a size 18 that she is a size 12 is not helping the problem! I'm also now driven nuts by the fact that once we get down to single digits some companies use even numbers and some use odd.

KaeLynnB
09-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Vanity Sizing...Sigh*

It's caused me so many issues. I have like 10 pairs of size 18 jeans, that I bought probably 5-6 years ago, that I cannot get my butt into, much less past my thighs, yet still wearing that size 18 jeans....its CRAZY!!!

mzKiki
09-16-2011, 09:46 PM
YES!!! A LOOOOONNNNGGGG Time :mad:
Everytime I go shopping I have a wtf!? moment lol.
I started around 267 (size 20) Lost 32 lb and stillllll in an 18. Although I was able to button and zip a 16 (looked a little sausagey and was way uncomfortable, but they were buttoned and zipped! lol).

free1
09-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Lori Bell....I so admire your success!!!