Support Groups - Steel Magnolias #44

View Full Version : Steel Magnolias #44

Maggie
09-15-2011, 07:49 PM
:comp:GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly day here in the Hearland in the 50's. Looks like we are in for some showers this day which is welcomed for sure. Looks like we will be having pork chops for dinner for our guest just brought in a package of them and placed them on the counter. Then was gone in a flash. I will make some mashed taters and gravy and biscuits to go with it & a veggie & a nice salad. I can count my points and be a good eater for I can have mostly salad and just a tad bit of the other stuff.:D He is going to record an interview for his radio show of Will today in regards to some western history which should be interesting for listeners here in Hays and round about. I am doing a no~no right now. I have my bamboo bowl of Blackend Chcken Alfredo, which is a TV dinner type meal by Schwans (one of the "Live Smart" individual dinners they offer), eating it here with my chop sticks in my office while typing this. I have a rule for myself not to eat in here and I am breaking it now. I am home alone and didn't want to eat out there in the kitchen. I am good with a pair of chop sticks and don't slop it around or get it on my computer keys. :p

DONNA FAYE I also make lists. It sure saves on agervation later when you slap your forhead and say to yourself that you should brought it along. We have those hanging LL Bean bags that hold toothpaste etc. We just keep them loaded for the next trip. Then I always go through them to make sure we didn't take anything out to use it while at home. Those are the times I don't take my electric toothbrush.:p We often stay where there are no "hook-ups" so have to do things differently than at home for sure. I remember the time that my brother and his wife went camping with us. She was whining in the morning because there were no hookups and so how was she to make the toast which was her job to do for breakfast. We showed her how to make it over an open fire and she loved it. Wanted to learn more and was constantly picking our brains. We could have always made it with the Coleman stove but we didn't want fried toast, we wanted toasted toast. We had the neatest little camping oven that can be used on a bruner of a camp stove. I'll have to see if I can find another one of those . . . We would be set for primitive camping that way. Have the Coleman camp stove now the grill and a oven would be the ticket.

JEAN I hope it doesn't rain and dampen your fun at the fair. What will you be making at the craft club? I went to one once and learned how to make little 3 inch tall teddy bears with moving arms and legs. I still have mine and it is sitting on the hood of a toy yellow jeep up on my shelf above my desk. It is so cute, make of brown fuzzy velvet type material. I sewed a tiny little red heart on his paw. I think I may still have one cut out ready to sew up and stuff. Reminds me I should dig it out and finish it up. It is really cute, looks just like a brown bear should. :p

Howdy :wave: SUSAN & GAIL I hope all is going well for you this beautiful day.

Jean
09-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Maggie -- It hasn't warmed up much here and the clouds rolled in late this afternoon. It was cool at the fair and there weren't alot of people there so no waiting in line for anything. We did sit in on a free show of a men's quartet that sang old hymns and gospel music. The recognized the veterans and had them stand which I thought was special. We don't make anything while at crafty club -- the gals bring things they have made, a book review, pictures, whatever interesting thing they might have to share. One gal cut the long sleeve from a man's shirt, left the cuff and buttons on, sewed a square piece of fabric for the bottom, and a strap on the cuff end. The one she saw in an AZ craft store was $10; you take a bottle of wine, or whatever, as a gift in it. Another idea was to put an umbrella in it or hang it on a doorknob with silk flowers in it. Your teddy bear sounds cute. :yes: Guess I will go read for awhile before I head off to bed.

Jean
09-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Good Morning, Flowers! It's cloudy and a chilly 44 degrees in my corner of the world this morning. We did get enough rain drops to make everything wet before I got up this morning. I took my bp cuff into the doctor's office this morning to have it checked, and it read the same as their's. Bob didn't think it was working right -- I don't think he knew what he was doing! :twirly: I have a pot of chili on the stove and now need to attack the fur bunnies that are running around here. Ernie is curled up in a tight little ball like he is cold. If he only remembered how cold it will get this winter! :lol:

I need to put together a salad to go with my chili so better get a move on. Have a fantastic Friday and enjoy your day! :D :wave:

Maggie
09-16-2011, 03:08 PM
:comp: GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly day here in the ♥land this day. We are slated for a few showers. Hope we get more than a few for it was said we would get showers yesterday and just got a few spits. We need rain. I slept in this day because it was very difficult to get to sleep last night. Earlier while in the middle of :chef: cooking dinner last evening I started getting a migraine :barf:. Usually I go right then and take my Vanquish and lay down in a dark room for half hour then I am good to go without any pain whatsoever. Well I didn’t just quit making dinner at that point and so when I could see again I got some pain and my head wouldn’t settle down to sleep. The pain is gone today for which I am thankful for. :cp: They are sure making some trick things for us camper type folks. I was looking at ovens and found an oven with burners on top for camping. I would rather not have them connected for I don’t use the oven as often as I use the camp stove. So they make a separate collapsible oven that you can heat by setting it on a burner on your camp stove. The oven is large enough to hold a muffin tin that makes 6. I like the fact that this oven folds flat. Looks like that they have improved it since I had one years back which worked great and kept a true temp for baking. I will round up some baking pans that will fit in it. They make more things to use for baking in camping ovens than they did when I had mine but I found as many small items to use in it then as I needed. It will be fun to find things in my cupboard that will work with it. We do have some different sized Dutch ovens which are great for baking things in over coals but sometimes we camp where you aren’t allowed to make a fire on the ground. Biscuits baked in a Dutch oven over coals are sooooo good. Before we go out and about we plan our meals and buy supplies that we will need. I have my little camping recipe booklet I made up and we are set. It is fun to replace some of the things we got rid of when we moved into that motor-home. We didn’t need to lug all the camping gear around since we had a kitchen right there with us. But now we only get the things that we know we will use. I tried to do that last time but folks gave us some stuff and you know how that goes. “I might just use that sometime.” We got rid of some stuff “out there.” Made some dumpster divers happy. My camp kitchen will consist of just what I need and I’ll use what is necessary. We need an overhead rack for the Jeep to carry all our camp gear. If we put it overhead like that we will be more conscious of what we lug along. Guess it all depends on if we pull a tent trailer or primitive camp. I know one thing we won’t be taking and that is the dogs. Don’t want them to end up being bear meat. They would want to play and Mr.Bear doesn’t know “play.”

JEAN It is cooler here also and almost sweater weather. I can see winter approaching. Sounds like you had a nice time at the fair especially when you didn’t have a big crowd to tend with milling all about. I got a chuckle about your kitty cat. I want a Manx kitten and Will just shakes his head. Maybe if I tell him that is what I want for my Birthday and if that doesn’t work I could ask for it for my Christmas present. Oh I see your craft thingie is a show and tell deal. That sleeve sounds like it with a slit in the bottom would be good also to stuff plastic bags from the grocer in. What a novel idea she had. Sounds like a fun group to belong to. I don't take my BP at home. Chili sounds good on a day like this for sure. I know I don't have any in the freezer but do have some delicious soup I could heat up. Will just got in from doing some errands and brought me in a ger-prize. A brand new electric toothbrush called a Spinbrush with two moving heads. I expected him to bring new brushes for my old one. I will take it in and get it charged up and use it tonight.

All other Magnolias - Howdy to you this day. :wave: Type at y'all later.

Jean
09-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Ernie and I just got up from our nap in front of the tv. My legs were asleep and I guess he got hot because he jumped off my lap and woke me up.

Maggie -- Sorry about your migraine last night. When are you going camping with all of your new camping "toys?" Bob is hoping to plow his field tomorrow. The weatherman says it will be sunny and warmer. I guess our breezy/windy days are back again. :( Enjoy your new toothbrush tonight! ;) I'm going to watch the 10:00 news then head off to bed and read for awhile.

Maggie
09-17-2011, 01:47 AM
:comp: GOOD LATE NIGHT MAGNOLIAS :wave:

JEAN I am not exactly sure when we are going to go on vacation. We are just in the process of gathering up the necessary things to take camping so when we go we will have what we need. We got rid of all our camping gear and now have to replace it and can't afford to do it all at once. I am going to play a game of spider solitare and then go to bed. By then it will be time to cut some zzzzz's.

Type at y'all later. :wave:

Jean
09-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Good Morning, Flowers! It's cloudy and "cold" again this morning, but since I'm walking and talking under my own power I won't complain about the weather. I won't, I won't, I won't! :p I couldn't get to sleep last night so feel like I'm dragging around this morning -- no ambition to be found. Bob just left to plow a field and I have a kitchen that looks like a tornado went through.

Maggie -- I think I have spider solitaire as one of my choices on my game site. I'll have to give it a try. I usually play Klondike, Golf, or Pyramid solitaire. I was in bed when you posted but tossing and turning well into the wee hours of the morning. :mad:

I need to put a load of towels in the washer and pick up my kitchen! Have a super Saturday and enjoy your day! :D :wave:

Maggie
09-17-2011, 05:16 PM
:comp: GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is 70 degrees in the Heartland with 68 percent humidity. All is well and I have been putzing all day. I decided to pull things out of my pots and pans cupboard and see what I had hidden back behind the things I use daily. I did find a surprise that I didn't think we had anymore back there. It is a small burner sized square cast iron flat ridged grill and has a press that is ridged to go along with it to make great paninis with out electricty but using on a camp stove or outside grill. The grill does filp to have a smooth side up also. While heating the grill you heat the press on the other burner and then presto you have top and bottom to press a sandwich in between. I used that a lot in our motorhome. Since the stove top oven I am going to get will accommodate things that are 10 inches that limits what I will take along to bake in. I do have a small cookie sheet that fits and some other things such as a square 8 inch pan and bread pan and a small 6 inch spring form pan and an 8 inch pie pan and 6 hole muffin pan. All of those can be used for baking what ever I want to bake. Iwon't need to buy anymore baking pans except the one I found on a web site that has children sized goods. There is a perfect sized pan that has small sides on it with a grate that goes in it that will work fine in that small oven. I am glad that I did save some utensils that we used with the small oven we had also. You would be surprised to know that it is so hard to find things that will work in such a small oven. You want to have air all around the container and so they have to be smaller than the 10 inches. Anyway it is fun to gather it all together to see what I have and to find out I won't have a lot to purchase.

JEAN I didn't get to sleep until about 3 am myself last night. I never sleep well after I have had a migrain because my mind won't settle down and rest. Just wants to think about this and that. It still hasn't really settled down but I sure hope it does by night time for I will need a good nights sleep for tomorrow is Sunday and I can't sleep in. I think you would like playing spider solitare so give it a try. If you look over the hand you get and don't like it ~ it doesn't count against your score to dump it and load a different hand. Last night I won 6 games in a row. :p

Have a great afternoon Magnolias. :wave: Type at y'all later.

Jean
09-18-2011, 01:20 AM
Maggie -- Your little stove looks cute; it's almost doll house size. I just made my last trip downstairs, for a drink of cold water, and noticed it has started to rain which the weatherman said would happen. The sun is supposed to show its face tomorrow afternoon. I hope both of us get a good nights sleep tonight! :crossed: I did check and I don't have spider solitaire so will do a search when I have the time. I'm heading off to bed. :yawn:

Gail -- What are you doing this weekend? :spin:

Susan -- Hope you are enjoying your retreat! :twirly:

"Gma" -- I trust you and Jack are enjoying Branson tonight! :)

Jean
09-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's been another gloomy day in my neighborhood, but it is a tad bit warmer. The sun is supposed to shine this afternoon and I'm impatiently waiting. I went to early church and "greeted" -- it's always nice to say hello to people I don't get to talk to very often. An 80+ year old man and his wife both thanked me for his birthday card this past week. I came home full of ambition to make a mostaccioli casserole only to discover I didn't have the right kind of noodles after I had the meat browned and simmering with the sauce. After we ate leftover chili I went to get the pasta. I decided I will share with a former co-worker who has been in the hospital with an infected gallbladder and then pneumonia. I want to try a frosted pumpkin cookie recipe (box mix) later after I'm done here. If they turn out I will share those too.

I don't think the pixies are going to do my dishes so I'd better get them done before the next round of baking. Enjoy the rest of your day! :D :wave:

Maggie
09-19-2011, 12:37 PM
:comp: GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is going to get up into the 80's again this day in the Heartland so I guess summer is still with us. :( Fall weather will surely get here soon. The dogs are off to the groomer for a bath and here I sit. I did show a "maintain" at weigh in this day so I will watch it closely this week so it doesn't become a streak of them. Need to go down down down. I have been having fun going through all my spices of which I have a lot and tossing the ones that are absolutely too old which aren't used a lot. If I need them for a recipe I will buy new but not until then. I saved all the little plastic containers and soaked off the labels and put the spices in them that we plan on using while camping. Ones that are used almost daily ~ just a few like the ones to season meats for grilling and ones used in eggs when scrambeling. That sort of thing. It is nice to have them all in a group to round up easily when we do go out and about. Meanwhile I can be using them and refilling them as needed. If I do any baking "out there" it will be from pre packaged things such as muffins. I do like having my ducks in a row so to speak. :p Before we go "out and about" I always make up a menu of what we will be eating and round up the necessary ingredients. That way I don't pack "un-necessary" extra stuff along. Works for me. Today I need to mix up a batch of Mexican Seasoning Blend for I notice I am just about out. Here is the recipe if anyone wants it:

MEXICAN SEASONING BLEND
Mix all together and place in a container that seals tight.
1/2 cup chili powder
1/4 cup paprika
2 Tbsp ground cumin
2 ts garlic powder
1 tsp red pepper
Makes @ 1 Cup
If you want to add salt (which I leave out)
1/2 tsp salt

JEAN Your casserole sounds yummy. Yep have to have the right shape noodles for that dish. Otherwise it doesn't really matter what you use in most recipes. That camp oven will accommodate bake pans 10 inches or smaller. Did I mention that it folds down to a smaller size and fits in a cary case. I can bake anything in it that I can here at home in the oven ~ just have to make a smaller size. The rack adjusts to three different positions. When I get it I will play around with it here at home and have some fun baking some things in it. :p

All y'all have a lovely Monday. It is the beginning of a new work week. :wave:

Jean
09-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a nice sunny 75 degree day in my corner of the world . . . finally! I had a challenge trying to balance at church this morning. After checking the computer, the envelopes, and the adding machine tape 3 different times I found where I had entered $1.00 instead of $10.00. *sigh* I need to run a couple errands, bake my casserole, and maybe do the gift shop deposit this afternoon. I have card club tonight and the dentist just called to come in tomorrow morning for my first bridge work appointment.

Maggie -- :congrat: on maintaining this week. It is important to be able to do that as well as lose. :yes: What do you put the Mexican seasoning on? You have more "fun" cooking than anyone I know! :lol:

I do need to get a move on and accomplish something this afternoon. Enjoy the rest of your day! :D :wave:

Maggie
09-20-2011, 01:52 AM
:comp: GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I made a huge pot of chicken noodle soup today and froze some of it and have some in the fridge to have some more tomorrow. I also tried out a new recipe that was a real good which I will post below. I will definitely make them again.

MEATBALL BUBBLE BISCUITS

INGREDIENTS:
1 can (12 oz) Pillsbury® Grands!® Jr. Golden Layers® refrigerated buttermilk or flaky biscuits
10 frozen cooked Italian-style meatballs (about 5 oz), thawed, each cut in half
2 sticks (1 oz each) string cheese, each cut into 10 pieces
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup marinara sauce, heated

DIRECTIONS:
• Heat oven to 375°F. Separate dough into 10 biscuits. Separate each biscuit into 2 layers. Press each biscuit layer into 3-inch round.
• Place 1 meatball half, cut side up, and 1 string cheese piece in center of each dough round. Wrap dough around meatball and cheese, pressing edges to seal. In ungreased 8- or 9-inch round cake pan, place seam side down in single layer. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
• Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and biscuits are no longer doughy in center. Serve warm biscuits with warm marinara sauce for dipping
3 POINTS+ each

JEAN I use that Mexican seasoning on things like mac and cheese, baked potatoes, grilled sandwiches, different soups, scrambled eggs and on boiled eggs, just to name a few things.:p Glad you finally found out it was just a typo with the money count. Hope all goes well at the dentist tomorrow.

Everyone have a nice sleep this night. Type at y'all later. :wave:

Jean
09-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Good Morning, Flowers! It's a sunny 65 degrees with a slight breeze in my corner of the world this morning. The dentist appt. was for 45 min., but I was in and out in less than a half hour. She took impressions just like with a crown. I stopped at the store on the way home for salad stuff and now have laundry going. I'm meeting with the former treasurer to finish up paying a couple bills and balancing the books with the bank after lunch. I should donate blood after that but will see if there is a waiting line.

Maggie -- Thanks for sharing the recipe -- I love the Grands biscuits! We used to be able to get 4 in a smaller container, and I bought them often, but not any more. :tantrum: I did buy 4 crescent rolls the other day. :T

Gail and Susan -- What are you up to today? We have missed you! :p

My dryer should be buzzing soon so I need to change loads. Have a terrific Tuesday and enjoy! :D :wave:

Maggie
09-20-2011, 02:00 PM
:comp: GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS :wave:

It is said to be a beautiful day here in the Heartland in the high 70's. I can dig it. I function so much better in cool weather. The day is fast approaching when I can order that camp oven for I will get it with my allowance. Will bought a set of the red speckled enamel dinner wear to put with our camping gear. It is a set for 4 but I will only take two sets and all the mugs for the extras will be great for soups and broth or cereal. I find it amusing we are filling up our tent trailer with goodies before we get the trailer. But since we had one before we kinda know what will fit in there nicely. Just the basics is my motto. I have my eye on a small set of pots from Cabellas that are stainless which will be what we need. I am not taking any of my pots from the house because they are very heavy, very heavy indeed. I will buy all the condiment things such as soy sauce, worchestershire sauce and sandwich spreads in small containers. Small is the key for it cuts down on weight. I have been toying with the thought of buying small plastic containers and transfer the items out of my source here in the fridge. But it would sure be easier to just buy small sizes.:p You can tell I am now on a quest to get all our "get away" things rounded up for when the day comes we will be ready. I like having all my ducks so to speak in a row. Will kinda knows what is on my list and that is why when he was out and about found that dinner set and called me to see if that would do. I put it all in the dishwasher and now it is packed away with the other things. He also brought home a bright red plastic egg carrier. :D I found a source where I can purchase the enameled speckled dish basin, pitcher and collander I want. I like that ware for it is lite and easy to clean plus you can put it on the fire. The big pitcher is great for heating water in for doing dishes and taking a possible bath. My mother had one of those big pitchers and made iced tea for a crowd in it during the holidays. She had that for as long as I can remember which tells me they have been making them for a long, long time. Anyway I was happy to find those things on a web site. I got a kick out of a "back packers" list of items to take along on an extended hikeing trip. It had so many items listed that I don't know how heavy that back pack would be for they were items we are going to put in the tent trailer. Interesting. But they would be only packing for one but that particular list didn't even list first aid things or sleeping bags and such. They have trick little back pack stoves and such nowdays which are lite weight and effecient. Plus little containers you can put your food items in. Ah, life is good.

JEAN Isn't it nice when you can get in and out of the dentist office so quickly.:p Hope they do a wonderful job on your bridge work. I don't normally buy those biscuits but they sure did work well in that recipe. I am thinking of making them for a pot-luck in the future. In fact they would be good to eat with a tossed green salad for a meal. Like I said - the guys sure liked them. I think for lunch we will have some of that yummy soup and a couple of the biscuit thingies. :cool: I don't have a clue yet what I am going to make for dinner. I didn't know that they let folks that take BP meds donate blood. They told me years ago that was the case but things change don't they. I think donating blood is a worthy to be commended thing.

SUSAN & GAIL We do miss you! Also we miss DONNA FAYE but we know she is on vacation. :p

Hope everyone is having a lovely day. :wave: Type at y'all later.

QuilterInVA
09-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Good afternoon, ladies! A sunny day and 77 degrees.

I spent the weekend with my friend in Moon. Now I've got to hurry up and get my things ready to leave for retreat Thursday night - be back on Tuesday.

My bill for phone, internet and tv went up to $153+ and I said enough is enough. Changed back to Verizon with increased internet speed, DirectTV (210 channels and free DVR), and phone for - $76.99 a month for 24 months. I'd have been stupid not change.

It is sure apparent that fall is starting Friday. It's still dark when I get up now and the nights are down in the low 60s so I put a quilt on the bed.

Jean, you are a good lady to be giving blood. I'd like to but they won't take it because of my medications. I love Spider solitaire! I have Hoyle Game Pack on my computer.

Maggie, you will be all prepared for camping before you know it. My idea of camping is a Motel 6 instead of the Marriott! I like enamelware a lot. It reminds me of the farm where I grew up.

Have a great day!

Jean
09-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Maggie -- My iron count was one point too low to donate blood, :( maybe next month. My iron was where the doctor wanted it to be, but the blood bank requires it to be higher. Red dishes would be my choice of color! ;) You will be out camping soon!

Susan -- The neighbor's leaves have started to turn colors and a few have fallen. I guess fall must be here or at least almost. I was thinking you were gone on the retreat this past weekend. You are a good friend to your friend in Moon. Can you get the local tv channels for news and weather with Direct TV? I don't remember which satellite company it is, but people around here had to put up antennas is they wanted local channels. I'm sure all the prices will continue to go up. :( I know there are technology smart people who can bypass "whatever" and get their service "free." That makes me mad!

I am heading off to bed. :yawn: See you tomorrow!

Jean
09-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Good Morning, Flowers! It's a cloudy cool day in my neighborhood this morning. I've been to get my nails done, took Bob to get his tractor at the plowing site, and then back to where he will store the plow to wait for him to come over hill and dale the back way. I have the hospital auxiliary board meeting at one and then bell practice later. Meanwhile am trying to finish up laundry in between my coming and going.

I need to change clothes and keep moving. Enjoy the rest of your day! :D :wave:

Maggie
09-21-2011, 02:18 PM

It is currently 57 here in the Heartland and not expected to get over the 60's before this day is over. Cool. Fall is in the air. Not much happening around this berg this day. This month is already over half over and where does the time fly. I am not ready for real cold weather but some cooler fall days are nice. I really need to get that berber jacket to the cleaners. I cleaned out my hall closet that has shelves in it that I use for a pantry and it is nice and orderly now. I keep those large containers of spices I have in there where it is cool and nice and dark. Also containers of pasta and mixes live in there. The other hall closet houses some of Will's cleaning supplies and miscellaneous things. It only has one shelf at the top. I think for dinner this day I will make a stir fry of some sort and serve it over rice. Sounds good to me ~ all those yummy crispy veggies with some chicken. Yep ~ stir fry it will be. Don't get your "ah-ha" up over the "fry" part for I only use a skiff of oil to season the wok and the rest is spray. I don't use a ton of oil like they do in the restaurants. :p Those little "baked mozarellla bites" I got from Schwans are sure good. I had a few points left last evening and those are only 1 point apiece and sure go good with fruit. Life is good.

JEAN Yep those red dishes are nice looking. The rest of my spekeled ware is blue. I am so glad I have located a source where I can get the items on my list that we will need that we used to have and used a lot. Like the pitcher, collander and dish washing basin. All which can be put on the fire. However, I never put the collander on the fire but was able to use it other than just draining fruit and veggies.:o I am so glad I am able to find the things I know will work and do double duty. For instance I have some flat stainless plates with just a 1/2 inch rised rim about the edge which I will only take one along for it will work as a round sheet in that oven to bake things on. Use it as a serving tray also. I used to have a set of 4 but I don't know what happened to one and now I have 3 so if I put one in my camping gear that will leave 2 in the house. I use them a lot here in the house also and have had them for years and years. Anyway my point is that things should do double duty to earn their place in my camp kitchen.:p Have fun ringing the bells. What color are your nails this day? Don't you just love having them done. Sounds like you have a full day being out and about.

SUSAN Nice to hear all is well with you and you are keeping busy. Sounds like you have some fun adventures planned. :D I am hooked on Spider solitare ~ HAVE to play a game before going to bed. It is a ritual. You know there is some of the spekeled ware that is on the antique list. It has been made for lots and lots of years. There is a little market out in CA that we loved to visit and they had lots and lots of different things made out of that spekeled ware. That is where I acquired my tall coverd wire bailed pot which is still in good shape after being used a lot while camping. It is just the right size to heat water or soup in on one burner of the camp stove.

Have a wonderful humpday Magnolias :wave: Type at y'all later.

Jean
09-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Maggie -- It stayed in the low 50s and got windier as the day went along . . . not a nice day to stand around outside. :no: My nails are "Pink of Heart" by OPI. I usually stick with pale pink for my fingers. My toes probably won't see the light of day again until January 31st when we land in Maui. :lol: We had turkey filets, baked beans, apple sauce, a roll, and ice cream tonight; we had tickets for the Rotary bar-b-q, but it isn't really a bar-b-q anymore. I'm going to pick up the kitchen, watch the 10:00 news, and head for bed shortly. We are heading to Ames tomorrow to take Bob's 93 year old aunt out for lunch!

Maggie
09-22-2011, 03:33 PM
:comp: GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS :wave:

It is said to get into the high 70's this day and work it's way up into the 80's by the end of the week. I like it. I am having lunch, as I type, of a Schwans individual lite dinner of Beef & Portabella mushrooms with a medley of other veggies also which is yummy. Of course I am eating it with my chop sticks.:p Will is at his volunteer job at the museum and the dogs are snoozing outside and so I am home alone. We had colonel cluck last night so I will do the stir fry this evening I had been planning on doing. I like the chicken that is baked without skin from there. Very tasty indeed and fits nice and cozy into my program.;) I have located all the things I plan on purchasing for our camping excursions, I do believe, so it is now a matter of ordering them when I get the do-re-me. When I had all these things I want to get again I was able to go into just a couple stores back then and get them. However, now I find them on line for we don't have any stores around here that carry most of the items we need.

JEAN Your nail polish sounds like it is very pretty. Makes me want to polish mine. I have several bottles of pretty pale shades and the base and top coats also. Your weather sounds like winter is arriving. Burrr. Sounds like the Rotary put on a good feed. What fun to take out Bobs aunt for a meal. Does she live alone?

Have a wonderful day my Magnolia friends. :wave: Type at y'all later.

Jean
09-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Good Evening, Flowers! It's a very cool :brr: 49 degrees here tonight. Most of the day was cloudy and cool, but the sun finally came out around suppertime. We drove 2 hours to visit with Bob's 94 year old aunt. She treated us to lunch at Red Lobster; she hops in and out of our car easier than I do. I'd even taken a little stool along to help her get in and out. Nothing would do be we have pie and coffee before heading home again. She does all of her own cooking even though she lives in an assisted living facility. She is planning her 95th birthday party next May!

Maggie -- Bob's aunt lives in Ames which is where Iowa State University is located about 2 hours from us. The eating places and shopping places are abundant for sure. She lives in a senior "care" center I guess you would call it. There is one main building that is built on multiple levels and angles so doesn't resemble a hospital or office building in any way shape or form. There are several 4 plex units scattered around the outside area which is woody with winding lanes and sidewalks. She has her large 1 bedroom apartment in the main building. There is "help" available should she ever need it, but for right now she does all of her own cooking and laundry. I think the housekeeping staff comes in once a week to dust and vacuum for her. There is also a health care unit where she can go if or when needed. Her building has the "country club" feel when you walk in the front door -- very nice. She delivers mail to the health wing, helps with bingo, and gives tours of the part she lives in. She is quite the gal! Bob says he likes old relatives! :lol:

I have a load of Bob's farm clothes to fold before I head to bed. Hope to see more posts tomorrow! :D :wave:

Jean
09-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and it's a :brr: 38 degrees this morning. So far no wind which is a pleasant surprise. I need to do some dusting and vacuuming today. I have a couple coupons from the local shoe store so may take a look and see if they have something I like. I need some "jeans" shoes besides tennis shoes.

I need to check my church birthday card list and get the day going. I'm thinking may have to stop at the grocery store after I check on the staples. I hope the sun is shining on you, have a fantastic Friday and enjoy! :D :wave:

Maggie
09-23-2011, 04:52 PM
:comp: GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day here in the Heartland. Wills printer got used up so he had to go and get another new one. He has worn out two now and I am still using the first one I got three years ago but it cost 3 times more than the ones he buys. :p Plus I don't do the volums of printing he has to do on his. He really needs one working properly since he is resetting that book for the museum so they can get it in print again and sell it. He has to take the pages and redo each one in a bigger font and change the columns and replace the pictures on the page. OH folks, I got my Thomas Kinkade "Glory to the Newborn King" Nativity Tree delivered today. It is so neat. I will make sure it lights up then repack it in its delivery box for storage until Christmas time. All around the tree are tiny folks and buildings and animals. Something to see on every side of the tree. It will look great on my dining room table as a centerpiece. I am very happy with it, can you tell. I also ordered my camp oven today because it went on sale for half off so now was the time to get it. Such a deal. I ordered the stainless pots and pan set also since it came from the same company. The handles are trick and come off for easy packing. My list of what I need to order is shrinking.:D

JEAN It is chilly in your neck of the woods. Not so here for we are still in the fall type weather pattern. I hope you find some shoes that will work well with your "casual" attire. It will be nice when all the Magnolias get back to us and post regularly won't it. Bob's aunt sounds like she is doing well. Those assisted living facilities are real nice that I have seen also.

Have a wonderful afternoon Magnolias :wave: Type at y'all later.

Maggie
09-23-2011, 06:43 PM
:comp: GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS :wave:

I just got the neatest book in the mail that Will had ordered from one of his favorite book sites for me. Eat This Not That by David Zinczenko with Matt Goulding, which is the new 2011 edition and Will got it for 25% off for me. It has the best and worst of foods to order when eating out in many, many places. Pictures of each also. And at the grocerie store which packaged foods to buy and which to not buy. It is so interesting on telling what we buy regularly we can make better choices of which of whatever item to buy. They went by the calorie, fat and sodium totals for their determination. So when I make out my grocerie list I will consult this book. We already do buy some of the suggested brands they have chosen as "best for you." It is all about choices isn't it. There are so many products on the shelf today and it is not always easy to pick the best for you all the time. This book will help me a lot I do believe. What is really neat is that they have pictures of every product they speak of. Can you tell that I like it a lot? Will just came in with a real nice 14 inch tall bronze statue of a cowboy holding a saddle at his side. The ladies of the museum, where he volunteers, gave it to him as a "thank you" for all his good volunteer work that he has been doing for them. Now he is out buying another shelf to hang on his office wall on which to display it. :p Life is good.

Type at y'all later. :wave:

Jean
09-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Maggie -- I never did make it shoe shopping today. I forgot it was Homecoming week and the parade was this afternoon. There was NO way I was going downtown when all the crazy "don't know how to drive" people would be gawking as they obliviously drove around. I did go have a former neighbor, who is a retired nurse, check my blood pressure. We had a nice quick visit, and always agree not to wait so long to get together again. I'm supposed to be checking my bp, at home, and will go back to the doctor next week with my readings. WM used to have a machine by their pharmacy but it was gone when I checked there. I'm glad your Nativity tree arrived in good shape. When we were in Penneys yesterday they had several large decorated trees up. I think this is way too early, but what do I know!? :dizzy: I know that Susan is gone, Faye should be home this weekend, and Gail is mia. It is quiet here. Enjoy your new book! It sounds like it would be a good one.

Jean
09-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly and it's supposed to be warmer weather for the next few days. Bob is off to change the oil in his tractors so they are ready to go when the combine fires up. The guys are thinking they will be in the fields next week. Bob and Jason finished closing the cabin yesterday afternoon. They were taking the dock out and somehow Bob stepped on a loose board and into the lake he went! He always takes dry clothes along; he said the water wasn't nearly as cold as he thought it would be. Jason borrowed the pickup to go hunting in Wyoming so guess the boat won't leave the driveway for another few days. :smug:

I baked cookies last yesterday. :T I bought a pumpkin mix in a box and they are good! I have to bake a couple of different kinds of cookies for a meeting in October so think I will definitely bake them again.

I need to unload the dishwasher and start a load of laundry. I also need to sort through my computer desk pile of notes that I write to myself and then never use. :rolleyes: Have a relaxing weekend and enjoy! :D :wave:

Maggie
09-24-2011, 12:56 PM

The weather folks say this will be an 86 degree day with partial clouds here in the Heartland. Another week is winding down and now we have an official day in Fall for it has arrived. :welcome: to the cooler weather. It is so quiet here for Will is out and about and took the dogs along. That stir fry was yummy last night and reminds me I should do that more often. I think today we will grill some pork chops outside. They are back and Beanie delights in playing vigerously with his plastic milk carton in this office. It makes wonderful noise as he drags it and bangs it on this floor. More fun for him than on the carpet. What a charmer. Have you seen that commercial on TV with the little kid dressed up like Darth Vader? What a cute one. Kids and babies make the best commercials I do believe. OH and don't forget the dog that works for Travelers Insurance. He is a well trained pooch. Yep, I like that dog. They don't make the containers anymore that I like to put my stuff in for cooking out so I have been going through mine and changing them into other containers and putting the reclaimed ones into the dish washer. These are the Rubbermaid small ones that are straight up and down and they now make them all a different rounded style which don't fit tightly on a shelf. Anyway I like the older version better to fit in limited space so have them now to put powdered milk, pancake mix, Bisquick, instant potatoes, instant rice and misc. packets of Splenda, bouillon cubes and soup mix etc. That is 6 I have now to take camping. Not all at once probably but when I make a menu up for whatever time we will be out and about I can just take along the containers I have already prepared for the occasion and leave the others on the shelf. Meanwhile they can sit on a pantry shelf and be used and refilled as needed but ready to go also.:p I will type up the instructions for the mixes and will put them in small zip lock bags inside the containers.

JEAN You know it is good that Bob takes a clothing change with him when he is out and about. I can just see the surprised look on his face when he sliped right into the lake. Time sure flys for it doesn't seem like too long ago you were just putting the boat into the lake. Harvest time is here and there across our land. I love this time of year. The combiners. I have never tried those boxed cookie mixes and you have reminded me they make them so guess what I will be doing one of these days. I will add a box to my shopping list. What other cookies do they have beside the ones you got?

Time for me to get going. :wave: Type at y'all later

gma22
09-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Hey gals, we are back! We picked up Fortune and came home and unloaded then went and got a bite to eat. My house is a disaster, but we will dig in tomorrow and get everything put away and laundry done and such.

We had a fabulous time, so much fun, and giggles galore. I am including a few pictures. Some of the theaters let you take photos and some not. Let's see, I got a bear, a kiss, sung to and "Elvis's scarf at the Elvis concert. At the production show "Hooray for Hollywood" they did a tribute to the Blues Brothers and their movie and "Jake Blues" (Dan Ackroyd's part in the movie version) came down, sat in my lap, sang to me and ran his fingers through my hair!!! :lol: We also were in the second row on the end at the Oak Ridge Boys concert and not only were up close and personal, Larry Gatlin was in the theater and came up on stage (see pics) We have wonderful food, great times and fun, fun, fun. There were almost zero kids except for locals and almost everyone was over 50 so cordial and friendly. Our hotel had cobbler and ice cream every night between 9-11 pm after the 8 o'clock shows and so a lot of us sat around eating and talking. Met a lot of great folks from all over the country and even Canada. The murder mystery dinner was fun, their food was ICK though. We did a lake lunch cruise on a yacht and I snapped a picture of the romance writer, Janet Dailey's house and one of my honey too!!!

I will check in tomorrow and catch up on things. Enjoy the photos. Faye

gma22
09-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Here's a couple more. You can only upload 5 at a post.

Jean
09-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Maggie -- I have seen the Darth Vader car ad and get a kick out of it each time. :lol: I always like the Aflac duck commercials too. My cookie mix was Pillsbury Pumpkin, and I used canned cream cheese frosting. I know that Betty Crocker has mixes in bags and I've made some of those a long time ago: sugar, chocolate chip, and peanut butter. :T I don't bake cookies very often because I can't leave them alone.

"Gma" -- WELCOME HOME!! :grouphug: I'm so glad you had such a good time and enjoyed your time away. :cheer: Thanks for sharing the pictures! They make me want to go back to Branson even more. I'd really like to take the Christmas bus tour but that won't be this year.

Jean
09-25-2011, 01:09 AM
On Monday, Dr. Oz is supposed to have something on the program regarding WW. Just got an email to watch.

gma22
09-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Good morning ladies. Got a decent night's sleep, though I have been having night sweats a lot, got up and fed Fortune and started the first load of clothing. I put away the snacks we took with us, will tackle the pantry this week and straighten it up as well as wash out the fridge and pitch too. This next weekend is commissary weekend so want everything to be cleaned up that way. When Jack gets up will help haul stuff upstairs to put away and continue doing the laundry. I put on some chicken last night in the crockpot and will debone and shred it for chicken and noodles tonight for dinner.

I have had a sore "pinky" toe on my left foot for a few months now and thought it was the nail on the toe, but come to find out looks like a corn so I bought stuff last night and put it on to try and heal that up. I have the worst feet partly because I have very flat feet and the huge swelling I had when I was on the Norvasc really did a number on them permanently. I am going to talk to the dr next week when I see her about them just to make sure they are a-ok as well as about a 100 other things. I am making a list since she is a new dr! :lol:

Jean: I ended up having to buy a pair of close toed shoes on vacation because the weather was so bad and cool. We had rain a lot, so thank goodness we weren't on a beach vacation! :^: The pool was so beautiful too, but the temps stayed mostly in the 60's way too cool to swim so I never even put my toe in. Your cookies sound yummy! Like you, if I bake, I eat so no baking for me. Jack and I are back home and back to strict WW eating now. I have to peel off the lbs for our cruise next year.

Maggie: Sounds like you are gearing up for vacation. I am just not a camping gal for sure. We did it when I was a kid and I didn't like it even back then. We took a rented pop up trailer decades ago when Jay was a toddler on a weekend with our church, but poor little guy fell off the side of the mountain and scraped himself up pretty good and that soured my weekend right there. Tx for all the recipes and I want to get that book as well. He is on the internet all the time with info on what to substitute with restaurant foods and such.

Susan: Hope you are having a grand time. I really like having Directtv. Our bill will go down now that MLB extra innings is done for the year. We aren't going to do that again. Big waste of money if you don't watch it a lot or in our case your team stinks! :lol:

Gail: Hope things are going well for you.

I guess I better get back to get working done as it won't do itself. We dragged in a ton of leaves and stuff so I have to sweep the kitchen and vacuum the living room besides everything else. Have a grand day all. Faye

Jean
09-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Good Morning, Flowers! It's a "sort of" sunny morning in my corner of the world; chilly 48 degrees with a breeze. We've been working together on sorting through Bob's shirts for the SOS box. Some look like they have hardly been worn but he just doesn't like them so doesn't wear them. Way back when he first started selling insurance he was told to never wear green because that isn't a good "sales" color. I've got laundry going and have read the Sunday paper.

"Gma" -- It didn't take you long to get back into your routine again. ;) I'm sure Fortune is glad to be home again too. I hope your toe will heal ok; I hate it when my toes or feet hurt. I'll be glad when the cookies are gone because they keep calling my name. :( I may take some to church in the morning and pawn them off on the staff there. There aren't many left. :o Bob even liked them and said he was surprised since there is no chocolate chips in them.

I hear the dryer buzzing so time to change loads. Enjoy your day whatever you are doing! :D :wave:

Maggie
09-25-2011, 07:00 PM
:comp: MAGNOLIAS

Please post on #45 which I have just started. Thanks.