100 lb. Club - Giving up pop!

View Full Version : Giving up pop!

runningfromfat
09-15-2011, 03:44 PM
After watching Sugar: The Bitter Truth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM) last night, it really was the final push for me it give up Diet Coke. I know it doesn't have HFCS or sugar in it but I really don't feel comfortable with the company's practices described in the video (something I've known about but I really needed a good reminder!). The whole ad campaign with HFCS bothers me too. Also, my nutritionist has been bugging me to give it up but I've really been dragging my feet... :o

So, I dumped out the remainder of the Diet Coke at home and am on Day 1 today. It's funny because after dinner last night I had some Diet Coke (before watching the video) and almost immediately afterwards I felt hungry even though I had plenty to eat at dinner. It seems counterintuitive for me to eat healthy and then drink something that makes me hungrier so I'm determined to do this! I'm writing this here to keep myself accountable.

Anybody want to join me? :)

Trazey34
09-15-2011, 03:48 PM
BAHAHAH sorry but at first glance, I thought your post was "Giving up POOP" lol

I know what you mean about the evils of Diet Coke, i was soooo in love with it at one point - and i never just drank it on its own, it was ALWAYS with a delicious salty snack, or even a sweet one! multi purpose ;)

I'll have one now and again if i'm out for supper and it's soooo delicious still to me!!!

desiresdestiny
09-15-2011, 04:10 PM
i am on day 13 of no diet soda......its hard for me lol but one day at a time

Gale02
09-15-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm really glad sometimes that I can't have artificial sweeteners. I can see myself becoming a hard core diet Dr. Pepper addict if given the opportunity. My DH just switched from regular soda to diet and it's been a good change for him. He was averaging around 5 regular Cokes per day, and now he's drinking maybe 3 diet sodas a week instead. It's been a good change for him, but he's not one to snack at all.

After all that (mostly pointless) rambling, good luck! You can do it! :cheer3:

CherryPie99
09-15-2011, 04:49 PM
I never drank diet thanks to being allergic to most artificial sweetners. However, I was a serious Mountain Dew drinker - and haven't had one since May of 2010. I'm not going to lie - I really miss my Dew, but the trade off has been worth it!!

April Snow
09-15-2011, 04:58 PM
nope, sorry, you'll have to pry my Diet Coke out of my cold, dead hands! I enjoy it, it makes me happy to stay on plan and I only have 1 or 2 a day with no adverse affects.

But good luck to you - this is such an individual journey and if this works to make it a better experience for you, then yay!!

EagleRiverDee
09-15-2011, 05:10 PM
"Sugar the Bitter Truth" has me on board as well! I am going to be label reading. I wasn't a soda drinker but I liked Orange Juice and I thought it was okay. The video showed me why I was wrong about that.

I'm with you!

Jen516
09-15-2011, 05:27 PM
I gave up soda 9 months ago and I am SOOOO happy with the results! I stopped drinking mainly because I started drinking more water and I can only drink so much liquid! I was also trying to cut out the artificial sweeteners. I used to drink as much as a 6 pack in a day!! After a few weeks, I wasn't even craving it. Recently, a friend brought me a DrPepper and I decided to indulge. And it tasted terrible to me! It was way to bubbly and made me feel uncomfortably full! So, I think I'm cured! I don't even think about it or miss it anymore. I think there is a lot of truth to the explanation of how your body processes the sugar or sugar substitute and how that can effect your hunger levels...

K9Owner
09-15-2011, 06:23 PM
nope, sorry, you'll have to pry my Diet Coke out of my cold, dead hands! I enjoy it, it makes me happy to stay on plan and I only have 1 or 2 a day with no adverse affects.

But good luck to you - this is such an individual journey and if this works to make it a better experience for you, then yay!!

:rofl:

I only have a few drinks of choice: White Merlot, Water, and Diet Coke--in NO particular order. :D
I usually only have DC when I go to work at night, and I limit it to only 2 in a 12 hr shift, but now that you've brought it up, I think I'll have one, kinda off plan for the day. If I decided today to trash it, it wouldn't be the end of the world-I mean, I've almost given up cake and that was my ultimate FAVE!

TransformingMyself
09-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Congrats on giving up the pop! I gave it up 2.5 months ago! :)

linJber
09-15-2011, 07:55 PM
I only drank caffeine free diet soda on occasion, so there wasn't the caffeine problem, too. But I stopped drinking soda in January when I decided to lose weight. My DD left a 12 oz bottle of diet root beer here after a recent visit and I admit it tasted good when I drank it - over the course of 4 or 5 days. Just a little taste treat after supper. I applaud you for quitting it cold turkey! It's hard to change long term habits.

Lin

Rainbowgirl
09-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Hi. My name is Rainbowgirl, and I am a Coca-Cola (Classic) addict.

Pause for bored "Hi Rainbowgirl" chorus.

It's great that you are going to give it up - I wish I had that much willpower. I will say, that I have been able to cut back significantly. I was drinking 2-3 cans at work plus a 591 mL bottle at work, plus a can or two at home after work. Since September 6, I have had 4 cans (three of which were on my ultra-off-plan day last Saturday). I had one can last night and drank maybe 3/4 of it. I wasn't even craving it, I just felt like having it. And I don't even really remember drinking it, to be terribly honest.

It is probably one of the hardest things to quit that isn't nicotine, alcohol, or drugs. At least for me anyway. And I would wager that much of my weight is due to over-indulgence of Coke rather than anything else.

I will probably never give it completely up, but I am going to strive to treat it the way we did growing up: as a treat.

I wish you the best of luck on it! :) And while I'm "in", I'm only partially "in" because I don't think I'll be totally abstinent from it.

WannaBeLoserAgain
09-15-2011, 09:35 PM
I will admit to being a Mountain Dew drinker. I slowly weaned myself off the caffeine and sugar. Once I started WW, I was not drinking the soda...I must of weaned myself off of the stuff because I was not craving the stuff.

I do have 48 Mountain Dews still sitting in the box and they are not tempting at all. When you are a soda drinker, you wait for the sales.

I could never drink the Diet stuff because I would get headaches going into migraines, so I went with the real stuff and I guess you could say the weight was going up.

Now, that I got all the caffeine and sugar out of my system, I am not craving sugar. I need to read the article above on sugar, I may be sorry I read the article and end up trashing the leftover Mountain Dew.

Great going on giving up the soda!

1049jess
09-15-2011, 10:38 PM
I also gave up sodas two weeks ago! I feel much better! I'm trying to avoid artificial sweeteners too.
I love iced tea, and I've started drinking some sparkling waters.

Gabe
09-16-2011, 02:29 AM
I tried giving up diet soda.

Now, I'm the girl who used to consider fried chicken a food group, and who hasn't had it since February. I've kicked Second Life, which is only slightly less addictive than crack. In short, I've got plenty of moxie when it comes to this sort of thing.

Yeah. I lasted about two days. Luckily, Diet Coke actually *slakes* my appetite when I'm on-plan.

Good on you for doing this. I admire *your* moxie. :)

trishn222
09-17-2011, 01:44 AM
I have brought myself down to maybe one a week (Diet Coke) that is. I enjoy my treat and don't miss it terribly. This is going from eight to ten a day. I have been off of it for about six months now and I am glad that I did it. The first few days were tough though.

Nikki6kidsmom
09-17-2011, 03:55 AM
It's been 1 1/2 years now since I gave up all soda. I do not miss it one bit. Even when I have tried to drink it just a taste it was no longer good to me at all. I am amazed I was able to go on with life without missing it ,the biggest hurdles was being out and just wanting something with some flavor. I have opted for a very occasional 1/2 sweet 1/2 unsweetened tea but mostly it's water for me. But result is I only buy soda for my kids as a extra special treat when it used to be a MUST HAVE like milk. They have grown used to it but there friends have made comments. One of my daughters best friends jokes the Jenny Craig must live here because I don't buy crap food she is used to.

WannaBeLoserAgain
09-17-2011, 08:39 AM
I am accountable, I am here. Monday is weigh day, so I plan on staying on plan the weekend.

ButterCup85
09-17-2011, 08:53 AM
You'll be so glad you did! There is no need to drink calories. Giving up soda was the start of my journey 5 months ago, and I am so extremely pleased with it. I was an avid drinker of mountain dew and cherry coke. Avid as in 8 mt dew's a day when I'd work 16 hour shifts and days off 3 or 4 cherry cokes. The first week was a bit difficult. But, after that not so much. I tried cherry coke again 3 weeks after and it was gross now it's even worse. My taste buds are very appreciative of anything mildly sweet these days. The pop seriously is disgusting. It's like drinking syrup with straight sugar. Good luck and stick it out, you'll be glad you did!

toastedsmoke
09-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Personally I'm an occasional diet coke drinker. I drink it when it's there or if it's available. I don't crave it or really think about it either way otherwise. It DOES help me though when I'm craving sweets or have that endless hungry feeling even though I just ate because it's sweet and the gas fills my stomach.

That being said, congratulations on the decision to give up the DC. It's not like it's beneficial or nutritious in any way, so it's unnecessary and since you feel convicted against it, I think you're definitely doing the right thing for yourself and I applaud you for that. Stay strong!

runningfromfat
09-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks everyone for the support! Now that it's been a few days I can really feel the difference. I don't have that starving hungry feeling anymore (especially at night) and we're saving money in the process too. ;) It's made it a lot easier to stay on plan so here's hoping I see some results from it soon!

Good luck to those who are going through the same thing now! Also, thanks to those who shared their own stories too. it's great to hear it can be done. I've managed to give up diet coke before when I was pregnant but that was always with the idea in mind that it wouldn't be permanent. Now I need to do it for real.

BreathingSpace
09-17-2011, 02:04 PM
I quit Coke three weeks ago. I have slipped up twice - once I shared some from McDonalds with my BF, and then last night I bought a small bottle. When I drank it last night I didn't enjoy it like I used to.

The thing that helped me quit was Perrier - Grapefruit flavor. It gives me the bubbles and the slightly sour taste that I am always craving. But I notice after a while without Coke I didn't really even need the Perrier anymore either.

It's tough I know, so congrats!

~BreathingSpace~

Gale02
09-17-2011, 03:06 PM
I love that you're already seeing results, Running! Another benefit of not drinking soda - one that's not visible - is that you will be doing your bones a gigantic favor. The phosphorus (I think) in the carbonation process actually eats away at your bones, making them weaker. Less carbonation = stronger bones. Woohoo!

Wyllowbelle
09-17-2011, 03:47 PM
a wonderful and strong choice, Running! Good Job! I just gave up coffee about a month ago. I didn't PLAN to give up coffee, but I cut out my really bad flavored creamer and started drinking it with no sugar and 1% milk. At first I'd just nurse it along, but then came the day where I'd pour a cup, drink a few sips, and then it would just sit there and go cold. So one day, I stopped pouring it all together.

As someone who drank 3 - 5 cups A DAY, I never thought I'd be able to do it. Bonus that it helped me get my water consumption up to at least 10 glasses a day. I think you can totally do it!! Netflix as motivation does wonders to help!

Good Luck,

-Kiki

EagleRiverDee
09-17-2011, 09:29 PM
a wonderful and strong choice, Running! Good Job! I just gave up coffee about a month ago. I didn't PLAN to give up coffee, but I cut out my really bad flavored creamer and started drinking it with no sugar and 1% milk. At first I'd just nurse it along, but then came the day where I'd pour a cup, drink a few sips, and then it would just sit there and go cold. So one day, I stopped pouring it all together.

As someone who drank 3 - 5 cups A DAY, I never thought I'd be able to do it. Bonus that it helped me get my water consumption up to at least 10 glasses a day. I think you can totally do it!! Netflix as motivation does wonders to help!

Good Luck,

-Kiki

You might get a pleasant surprise on your next bloodwork- my doctor told me to quit drinking coffee (which was very difficult for me, as I love coffee) because my cholesterol was too high. Apparently in some people coffee causes high cholesterol. You may see a benefit in that your cholesterol will drop, as well. :)

she31
09-18-2011, 02:39 AM
I want to give up soda but its hard and I don't do diet I drink the real stuff and those calories can really add up..everyday I say no soda today but I always end up with one before the day is over with

baker23
11-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Congrats on giving up Soda. I'm on Day 10 and while the first few days were hard due to the lack of caffine, I already feel better. I used to drink 3-4 12 oz cans of diet coke a day -.- so much

kaplods
11-10-2011, 09:37 PM
I spent nearly a year without artificial sweeteners, caffeine or carbonated beverages (except for the occasional unsweetened mineral water).

A friend had half-convinced me that aspartame had "caused" my fibromyalgia, so I gave up soda and artificial sweeteners for almost a year.

I didn't really notice any difference in my symptoms one way or the other.

I was still having problems with fatigue (the most debilitating symptom of my fibro), so I asked my doctor about medications. I was given provigil for "special occasion" use, but for every day my doctor suggested caffeine, just not within six hours of bedtime.

I explained that I hated coffee, and didn't like unsweetened tea, and asked if diet soda would be ok. My doctor said that I had been off artificial sweeteners long enough that if I did have a problem with them, I should notice right away.

So I reintroduced Diet Mountain Dew Code Red back into my life (for medicinal purposes, LOL). I didn't notice any ill effects, so I don't really worry about it.

I also started researching all of the supposed "links" between artificial sweeteners and health problems, and found that the scariest claims just weren't substantiated by the research. The information was either false or misleading (for example aspartame does break down into methanol and formaldehyde - but so do many natural foods - and in greater concentrations than aspartame). I think it was a graduate school biology professor I had, who said that a banana breaks down into far more formaldehyde and methane than a can of diet soda.

But you know, you hear about the horror stories long enough, and you start to believe they might be true (even if you know most of them aren't).

I don't use aspartame as much as Splenda, and I try to keep my amounts modest, because I do believe that the more sweets a person eats, the more they want. So, I've cut back on quantities dramatically, but I don't stress over what I do choose to include.

Diet sodas and sugar free jello pudding mix are sanity savers for me. I can't control myself with "real" sugar. Even fruit can trigger a binge, but the fake sugars satisfy the craving without triggering a binge.

I mix sugar free jello pudding mix into greek yogurt, and it tastes and feels like I'm eating cheesecake (cheesecake really was my only dessert downfall. I've never been a huge fan of desserts except cheesecake. My sugar downfall was hidden sugars - sugars in savory dishes like sweet and sour chicken or barbecue sauces).

I do try to drink fewer carbonated beverages, because I don't have very strong dental enamel, but my dentist said I don't have to give up carbonated beverages entirely, I just have to give up "sipping on them all day." He said to use a straw, and to rinse my mouth out after I've had a soda.

So far, that's been working well.

Rainbowgirl
11-10-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm more or less back on the wagon here, only because the way I've been told to eat doesn't allow for the extra calories in the Coke. That said, I have only had 2 cans all week, which is a major improvement from how I was. I've switched mostly to Diet Coke, and even then I'm having 1 can.

Slowly but surely.

Trazey34
11-11-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm all about Canada Dry Diet Ginger Ale these days LOL When I have a fizzy drink (on a Saturday usually) that's my new go-to. I always think the horror stories about diet sodas, etc., are because that person drank a 2L bottle of the stuff a day for 10 years LOL A can or two a week isn't going to do anything??

Elladorine
11-13-2011, 03:02 AM
Although I've allowed myself a very occasional indulgence (maybe three times in the past year), I've given up on my old daily doses of regular soda. And when I do pick up diet, I make sure it's sweetened with splenda or stevia, but not aspartame (because aspartame gives me horrible migraines). I probably haven't even bought a case of diet soda since this past spring.

Soda was only an occasional treat as a kid, and remembering that helped me with my mindset when I decided to lay off. It most certainly can be done, and you'll feel better for it. :)

Something I do mess around with is Sodastream, although I add unsweetened cranberry juice to the water instead of syrup.