Weight and Resistance Training - Help needed for a confused lifter.

Persicae
09-15-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm having trouble creating a strength training routine for my ST days.
I am trying to figure out compound exercises that work multiple muscles at once. I am looking more towards doing bodyweight training and/or using dumbbells.

Does anyone have any ideas or routines for a full-body workout that they wouldn't mind posting in here?
And if possible, please list next to the exercise what muscles are worked?
Links to websites listing these works as well. :D

Also, I am wondering about how to work out a few muscles such as the inner and outer thigh and the hips? Or are these muscles used when performing lunges and squats?

Thank you all for your help! :^:

DietVet
09-15-2011, 09:53 PM
If you're going to do full body work outs, why not do a program like the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It takes 6 months to finish and you'll gain lots of strength and gym confidence in the process. Plus it's really fun.

If you wanted to do lower/upper splits, you could do something like:

Leg day:
Squats
Deadlifts
Lunges--you could mix this up with step ups and bulgarian split squats
Swiss ball crunches

Upper body day: (I'm copying this from a post I wrote a couple of weeks ago). These exercises hit all the muscles in your back, shoulders and arms. They are organized according to direction and push/pull: a vertical pull, a vertical push, a horizontal pull and a horizonal push. You can swap out particular exercises, but a basic version would look like this:

Horizontal pull: rows (seated or standing)
Horizontal push: push ups are simplest and best (you can do them at an angle to start if you're not able to do them the regular way.)
Vertical pull: lat pull down
Vertical push: military or bench presses.

Happy lifting!

baldchocnsexy
09-26-2011, 02:14 AM
If you're going to do full body work outs, why not do a program like the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It takes 6 months to finish and you'll gain lots of strength and gym confidence in the process. Plus it's really fun.

If you wanted to do lower/upper splits, you could do something like:

Leg day:
Squats
Deadlifts
Lunges--you could mix this up with step ups and bulgarian split squats
Swiss ball crunches

Upper body day: (I'm copying this from a post I wrote a couple of weeks ago). These exercises hit all the muscles in your back, shoulders and arms. They are organized according to direction and push/pull: a vertical pull, a vertical push, a horizontal pull and a horizonal push. You can swap out particular exercises, but a basic version would look like this:

Horizontal pull: rows (seated or standing)
Horizontal push: push ups are simplest and best (you can do them at an angle to start if you're not able to do them the regular way.)
Vertical pull: lat pull down
Vertical push: military or bench presses.

Happy lifting!

Great set of suggestions!

indiblue
09-26-2011, 02:44 AM
Check out Stumptuous.com. It's an awesome resource for beginner/intermediate lifters. It's especially targeted to women and provides great ideas for routines.