Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 09-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #1  

Default Dermaroller

Hi everyone.

Thanks to many years of cystic acne I've been blessed with I have major scarring on my face. Most of it is from the corner of my mouth down to my chin (where my otherwise very nice smile goes..) I'm very upset by them, even now after the acne finally subsided with a years worth of accutane and countless creams and procedures.. The acne really made me very self-concious and a bit of a shut in to be honest.. I'm happy they are gone but the scars are there and no make up can hide them. My derm has been talking to me about some lasers and other stuff we can do to try and remove them but I really don't have enough money for it. He also mentioned dermaroller - the DIY version. I've ordered it and it's here, waiting for me to roll my face with it
I'm kind of scared because I'm really insecure about my skin and I don't want to make it any worse..
So, do any of you girls use the dermaroller? Any tips or warnings? I've read so much about it and I'm just getting more and more confused with all the info out there..
It's also used to treat body scars, wrinkles, stretch marks etc. But I would just like some info regarding acne scars..
khat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Personally I would never use anything on my skin that I wasn't confident in, you should be able to feel good about what you're doing to help your skin heal, not worrying it might have adverse reactions!
I've heard a few bad stories about these rollers, but everyone will react differently to them, just make sure it's kept really clean and maybe test a patch on your face for a while and see how it goes.

On that note, I think anything with you apply to your face whether its a flannel/sponge/cleansing mitt/your hands - As long as you're massaging your face well you're going to get a similar effect. I'm a real fan of these silicone cleansing pads, they massage and cleanse, are easy to keep clean and it means you're not rubbing your face with your hands You could also consider trying out some microdermabrasion products. Coconut oil also has a good reputation for fading scars, but since you have had acne you might not want to risk using an oil.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #3  

Thanks for your answers girls.

serendipity907: I tried dermarolling and it wasn't that bad. I see a mild improvement but I think have to do this a few times to actually see results. I've tried so many things in these past few years I'm just tired.. I'm going to try this and we'll see. I was just afraid I'll make it worse. There was just mild redness for an hour after rolling at that was it.. But I am very very careful with cleaning everything and letting my skin heal between rolls (I think I'll give it a week or two).

Brown: My acne has thankfully cleared up last year thanks to accutane so I am now acne free. Only the scars are there to remind me of the horror.. I have tried OCM before, it was nice but I don't use it as my regimen, but I do use jojoba oil every night. My diet is also super clean and almost vegan-like but that's because I feel best on that kind of diet. I have never found any corelation with my cystic acne outbrakes and food I ate. I was very careful and concius about these things.

I'm curious to see if this will make my scars appear better.. I did some before photos and I'll compare in a few months! Fingers crossed..
khat is offline   Reply With Quote