Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - How to make oatmeal tastier?

View Full Version : How to make oatmeal tastier?

Martina
09-12-2011, 10:45 PM
I've been trying to eat regular old oatmeal lately. Now I'm from the South so I'm used to grits with lots of butter, but obviously that isn't an option. I know there are flavored oatmeals available, but I'm trying to steer clear of those.

I've put a bit of honey in it, and I've also tried cinnamon. But I thought I'd ask you guys, how would you flavor it up?? And what is your preferred method of preparing it?

Riemontana
09-12-2011, 10:47 PM
I like to stir in a little peanut butter and splenda

124chicksinger
09-12-2011, 10:50 PM
My mom always made it with a splash of milk and some raisins, and that's still how I like it. I like the saltiness of it without sugar, and the raisins add that missing sweetness. The milk makes it just a little bit creamier than just water.

I do like that you added cinnamon. How about a drop of maple syrup?

kelly315
09-12-2011, 10:58 PM
peanut butter plus a scoop of low-sugar chocolate flavored protein powder.

puneri
09-12-2011, 11:06 PM
I make it spicy. I saute onion, tomatoes, ginger in olive oil and put little saultl. Then I put Oats and water. It cooks in 2 min and water dries. It tastes good to me.

steinanwine
09-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Just the tiniest sprinkle of brown sugar, soo good when it melts into the oatmeal, and fresh fruit! peaches, bananas, berries, etc. Maybe a little bit of sugar free jam/jelly.

Beck
09-12-2011, 11:14 PM
I eat mine with a 1/2 cup of frozen sweet cherries (50 calories) and some stevia. I've also put in mixed frozen berries.

indiblue
09-12-2011, 11:43 PM
- Frozen mixed berries
- 1 tbs of peanut butter or Nutella and 1 scoop protein powder.
- Pumpkin pie spice (or just separately add nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, cloves)
- Diced apples

OR
- Blend yogurt, berries/bananas, a tad bit of honey, and oatmeal in the blender for a smoothie with some texture. My fiance introduced this to me and I love it now!

Another thing is steal-cut oatmeal is much tastier than the instant kind. I definitely recommend trying it out :)

JoJoJo2
09-13-2011, 12:13 AM
I chop up an apple in my oatmeal before I cook it. That adds a bit of sweetness to it. I've also added canned pumpkin to my oatmeal. Mostly I use the steel-cut oatmeal these days. Occasionally I will use the regular. I never use the instant oatmeal packets. Never, never, never.

AlanaRae
09-13-2011, 12:50 AM
I add low fat plain Greek yogurt, almonds or pecans and cinnamon.

evilwomaniamshe
09-13-2011, 08:48 AM
I eat oatmeal daily, but I LOVE to eat it dry (old fashioned quaker oats which are larger flakes). I dump a scoop 1/2 cup dry oats into a bowl, add in a chopped apple (or banana or grapes), then dump in a greek flavored honey yogurt. Stir it all up & sprinkle with ground flax & cacao nibs! Try it, you may like it, very dessert like. I mix it up sometimes with strawberry greek yogurt & banana, blueberry greek yogurt & apple, mango greek yogurt & nectarine etc. I LOVE it & it's a quick go to meal anytime of day.. YUMMO

josey
09-13-2011, 01:28 PM
mixed nuts and ground flax seeds plus some honey or maple syrup

Martina
09-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks so much!! You've given me so many ideas!!!! :)

cuppycake
09-14-2011, 11:23 AM
I love making it with almond milk, mandarine oranges and coconut with a packet of sweetner. It is so yummy. And if you want, add a sliced bananna on top. It is like heaven in a bowl. Also Hungry Girl has alot of recipes for oatmeal on her website. Good luck!

geoblewis
09-14-2011, 12:08 PM
It's more about the texture to me. I don't like instant oats and I don't like it too mushy. Makes me gag!

I also don't make it sweet. It's all savory for me. I cook the steel cut oats or the extra thick rolled oats. I toast them first in a dry pan, then add water or broth to cook them. When done, I top it with a poached egg, a drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. Salt, freshly ground pepper and a little cayenne or Sriachi pepper sauce.

On rare occasions, should I feel like having them sweet, I'd add chopped apple, dried cranberries, shaved raw coconut and a little coconut cream.

4myloves
09-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Little bit of sugar-free jello. Can turn the oats some funky colors, but tastes great!

Esofia
09-14-2011, 04:25 PM
A chopped date or two added at the start of cooking, or some molasses on top at the end.

kidjng
10-23-2011, 10:31 PM
I make overnight oatmeal using steel cut oats.

One cup oats
One cup low sugar almond milk
One teaspoon (or more) vanilla extract
One teaspoon (or more) lemon zest

Soak overnight. In the morning I heat it up in the m'wave and add a tablespoon of chopped walnuts. Sometimes I add a tablespoon or so of half and half to get that creamy texture.

You can also add low sugar/unsweetened applesauce or pureed pumpkin & cinnamon as someone mentioned. A teaspoon or two of brown sugar doesn't add many WW points. Honey or molasses...

zenor77
10-24-2011, 12:26 AM
I make steel-cut oats in my rice cooker. You get more nutrients out of oats if they are soaked with an acid overnight. So, before bed, I put 1 cup steel-cut oats, 1/4 cup plain yogurt, a pinch of salt and 3 1/2 cups water in my rice cooker. My rice cooker has a timer, so I set that for when DH wakes up. This makes 3-4 servings.

Usually, I like to add 1T ground flaxseed, fruit, walnuts, cinnamon or nutmeg and a bit of honey. My fruit varies a lot. I've put in pureed pumpkin, berries, raisins, dried cranberries, chopped apple and banana before. Occasionally, I'll put in peanut butter and jam. If you use jam, no sweetener is needed.

GwenSue
10-24-2011, 10:35 AM
My son is allergic to soy and dairy, so I always have almond milk on hand. It really makes the oatmeal better, just make sure to use Unsweetened Vanilla version.

I always add cinnamon. I also add chopped apple or frozen fruit (blueberries) to the oatmeal if in the mood for those. Sometimes if I am out of fresh/frozen fruit I add raisins or craisins and a few chopped walnuts.

I can't eat gluten, so buy the certified gluten free oats made by Bob's Red Mill. So it takes a little longer than the packet stuff to make, but is worth it!

Lorislosinit
12-02-2011, 02:48 AM
Such great ideas! I also don't like mine really sweet, but I do like some texture and crunch in there. I usually add some nuts, granola, or fresh apple (Honeycrisp is perfect). 1/2 container of berry or vanilla flavored Greek Yogurt adds protein and flavor. Easy as well. I also like the steel cut oats, but takes a lot of time in the morning. My BFF adds steel cut oats and HOT water into her thermos the NIGHT before. Apparently, cooks and is perfect in the morning. I haven't tried it myself.

melodymist
12-02-2011, 03:16 AM
Cinnamon! Apples, raisins or choc chip bits!

Beck
12-02-2011, 07:14 AM
My kids have been enjoying Pumpkin Pie oatmeal and banana split oatmeal lately.

Pumpkin pie oatmeal:

steel cut oats
canned pumpkin puree
cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg, ginger
stevia

banana split oatmeal:

5 grain oatmeal
fresh or frozen banana slices
unsweetened cocoa
stevia

Esofia
12-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Current version: jumbo rolled oats, half soya milk and half water, tablespoon of soy protein powder, one date, chopped, salt, black pepper, allspice, sometimes another spice too such as mace. Making it savoury started off as an accident but I like it much better this way, and after all, dates are used in savoury cooking in many countries. Scots friends of mine have pointed out that porridge should be savoury, or at least eaten with a bit of salt, and that it's the bloody English who started making it sweet. (I'm an Englishwoman living in Scotland.)

MagpiePDX
12-03-2011, 02:41 AM
Cinnamon, diced fresh apples (usually one of the more tart varieties) and chopped walnuts. This time of year it's especially tasty.

wickedlady
12-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Making a week's worth of steel-cut oats on the weekend has revolutionized breakfast for me! I cook mine with water, then when all the water is absorbed, I cook them through with 1/2 c milk. I like to add some vanilla and/or almond extract.

I highly recommend roasting some fruit and adding that in! My favorite are bananas... but pears and apples are really nice, too. The roasting caramelizes the fruit, which makes the oats sweeter once you mix it all together. I don't even need to add any sugar at all! It's not super sweet, but really tasty nonetheless :)

AnnieDrews
12-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I put some apple pie spice in mine recently and love it!

I usually do a small amount of frozen blueberries or dark cherries. Yum!

popspry
12-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Peanut butter is probably my favorite (for added texture use crunchy). I also like it with some fruit butter in it. An out there variation I do on occaison is with some unsweetened cocoa powder and sweetner.

Nibbles
12-06-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm from the South too...and oatmeal is meant to be eaten with butter and brown sugar. ;) Failing that: I do pinhead/steelcut/Irish oatmeal (name depends on where you buy it...soooo much more flavorful with than regular) and add dried fruit and salt. I think the salt is critical.

Also, if you can get your hands on cane syrup...the real stuff, not that flavored corn syrup that try to pass off in the grocery stores...just a drizzle of that will go a long way. It adds a lot of complexity, and I've heard it's rich in iron.

I'll have to try peanut butter. That might be nice.

Esofia
12-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Making a week's worth of steel-cut oats on the weekend has revolutionized breakfast for me!

That sounds like a recipe for food poisoning to me! You really shouldn't keep cooked food in the fridge for more than three days, and while we're on the subject, it should also be in the fridge within an hour of being cooked.

arizonaskye
02-01-2012, 06:28 AM
I made some oatmeal with cinnamon, and sugar free syrup. Simple but delicious!

erickael
02-01-2012, 06:46 AM
I do half a chopped apple with cinnamon and splenda (with a teaspoon of butter), or peanut butter with a banana and a little splenda. Love them both that way.