Weight Loss Support - Real morning routine vs. ideal morning routine

abbysue715
09-12-2011, 01:10 PM
I always think about what my morning routine should be but its very rare that its ever that way. So I was just wondering if I am the only person out there that doesnt have the best morning routine.

I am a mom of a 6 month old little boy and we co-sleep and he is up about every 2 hours to eat.

On a bad morning: Roll out of bed and come downstairs to start the day.
On a normal morning: Roll out of bed, get dressed, brush my teeth, and come down stairs to start the day.
In my ideal world: Roll out of bed, put on my shoes and exercise, jump in the shower, get dressed, brush my hair, brush my teeth, put on deodorant and maybe even a little makeup, come downstairs to start the day.

So, I am the only one? :?:

Amberkkski
09-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Oh def not! I always set my alarm for 5:30 so i can go to the gym in the a.m. too and i sleep through it wake up late run around trying to make my breakfast and get myself read

ideal: 5:30 wake up, gym, shower, cook breakfast, relax, get dressed, brush teeth and leave for work

Rana
No. My sister who has a 5 month old has a similar routine. I don't think I remember the last time she exercised. She also cosleeps and feeds every two hours, if she's lucky!

sacha
Nope! I'm the same.

And coincidentally my son woke every 2 hours to eat at your boy's age too. I just focused on good food choices and survival, LOL! He's started to sleep through most nights now (15 months) so the ideal mornings happen more & more.

I feel your pain...

JayEll
09-12-2011, 01:25 PM
My ideal morning never includes exercise before eating and drinking coffee. Exercise on an empty stomach just doesn't work for me. I get up at 6, and if I do decide to exercise in the morning, I go for a walk around 8.

I prefer to exercise in the afternoon.

Jay

mzKiki
09-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Ahh The joys of co-sleeping. My 2 yr old is still sleeping glued to my side every night and refuses to even look at her bed except to play on.
But you arent the only one.
Typical Morning: Alarm goes off 6:30 press snooze 3 times get up at 6:45, rush to bathroom, wake up son and daughter & get them dressed and fed. Drive son to school, run errands with daughter.

Ideal Morning: Wake up at 5:30 exercise for 1 hour, take a shower, get dressed. Then dress and feed kids and leave early instead of late!

One Day!

carter
09-12-2011, 01:36 PM
I don't have a child. And even so, I don't have any illusions about hopping out of bed to exercise in the morning. I am simply not a morning person. If I tried to get up early to exercise, the result would be that I would never exercise. Instead, I schedule my exercise for a time when I am more amenable to doing it (in my case, after work in the evenings).

There is nothing wrong with striving to make improvements to your routine - but there comes a point when you have to be realistic about what you can achieve and not let "perfect" become the enemy of "good enough". If you are not finding a place for exercise in your morning routine, and that is getting in the way of you exercising at all, then there is no shame in acknowledging that morning exercise just isn't for you, and doing it some other time of the day!

Lovely
09-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Heck I don't even have any kids to care for, and my mornings don't usually go as planned!

Normal: Crawl out of bed. Brush teeth. Weigh. Eat breakfast.

In my dreams: Wake refreshed and sparkling with the birds singing. Dance my way to the bathroom where I brush my teeth and weigh myself. Twirl to the kitchen to make an elaborately healthy and tasty meal. Get out to the local produce store where everyone bursts into song as I buy the fruits and veggies I need for the rest of the day....

Maybe I'm aiming too high? ;)

kelly585
09-12-2011, 01:41 PM
I am a stay at home mom so I just get up and hang with the kids for a bit and then we eat and get dressed and on with our day... I think having kids you never know what the plan is and nothing ever goes as planned

djs06
09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I don't know Lovely- maybe the twirl to the kitchen is slightly high, but not quite out of reach! ;)

I don't have kids, so I can't speak to that, and I'm sure that I cannot fathom just how challenging that is. I do work out in the morning, which I would have found laughable even just last year, and it has kept me consistent. Still not perfect, however. But I think the important thing is starting out small and going for consistency. Even if you get up and exercise once or twice a week, and if you do it on the mornings where your child hasn't had quite as rough a night, it's one or two ideal, or close to ideal, mornings to add to your list!

Ideal morning: Get up at 6:30, get dressed for the gym, make breakfast, drink coffee (set on auto the night before), leave the house by 7:15, work out for 45-50 minutes, shower, dry hair and make self look presentable, get to work between 8:30 and 8:45.

The usual morning: Press snooze twice, get up at 6:50, read email on my phone, throw on clothes for gym, stalk the cats for a few minutes, clean out coffee pot and make coffee, make breakfast, scowl at clock and swear I'm going to leave within 10 minutes, do something stupid on the computer or sit staring at the walls for another 10 minutes, brush teeth, grab bag, make lunch, go. Get to the gym around 7:40, do 40 minutes, shower and half-dry mangy hair, and drive to work, where I'm late by 15 minutes and thus struggle with parking.

The bad morning: Snooze. Then reset alarm for 8 AM. Shower, then waste time until 8:40, then get dressed. Late for work without even having a good reason or workout to blame. Ah!

banananutmuffin
09-12-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm a SAHM to a 3 year old and a 9 month old. The baby still wakes periodically (2-3 times) throughout the night, the older one still comes to our bed in the middle of the night, plus Hubby likes to stay up late (past midnight usually).

Ideal day: Wake at 5:30. Exercise for 45-60 minutes, shower/brush teeth, eat breakfast and do a little meditation/prayer before Hubby leaves for work.

Typical day: Wake up just as Hubby is leaving in the morning. Suck down 2 cups of coffee or hot tea to get my eyes open. Eventually get around to brushing my teeth sometime before lunch. Never manage to exercise.

OhThePlaces
09-12-2011, 01:54 PM
We co-sleep with our 8 month old too. Thankfully she sleeps well. My typical morning is wake up, feed the baby, eat breakfast and feed my toddler, then we head to the Y where I drop them in the Stay & Play and get some exercise...then the park (some days), home for lunch, then naps! I'm a SAHM... I give so much credit to moms who are working to lose weight while care for babies and work outside of the home!

EagleRiverDee
09-12-2011, 02:09 PM
You are totally not alone! I am just NOT a morning person. I know I should get up and exercise early, I should eat a good breakfast at home, etc. Instead, I get up at the last second, take breakfast with me to work, and everything is rush-rush-rush in the mornings for me. I end up exercising at night, and always wish I'd got it out of the way that morning.

RJ 1980
09-12-2011, 04:51 PM
LOL I am sooo not a morning person and I have a horrible routine. I'm a sahm to a 4 year old and five month old- luckily they both sleep about 12 hours straight through, in their own bed/crib.

Ideal- I wake up at 7am, which is a few minutes before my husband leaves for work, so I can get a shower, dressed and get breakfast ready for the kids. The kids wake up at around 8:30 and I have them fed and dressed by 9 or so, ready to go out or take a walk or something. This has NEVER happened. :o

Real- I wake at around 8 when my 4 year old comes to watch tv in my bed. My 5 moth old wakes up around 8:30 and we all stumble downstairs and I feed them. At around 10:30 my baby takes a nap and this when I shower. Our day doesn't really even start until like noon.

NEMom
09-12-2011, 05:09 PM
My kids are older and can take care of themselves but oh do I remember the getting up every two hours and kids sleeping in my bed. I have to admit that I do NOT miss those days.
Five days a week (m-f) I get up at 5:30, take care of my dogs, make coffee and exercise for 45 min - hour. Is it easy, no way! Early in my weight loss journey, I would promise myself tonight I am working out but then I would get home and thinks kept getting in the way and the more that got in the way, the guiltier I felt. It became a vicious cycle of guilt. I thought, there is no way I can get up an hour early to exercise, I needed my sleep but I knew that the only way to free myself from the guilt was to just do it. So I do, not happily most mornings but I do it.

ChickieChicks
09-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Nope! I'm the same.

And coincidentally my son woke every 2 hours to eat at your boy's age too. I just focused on good food choices and survival, LOL! He's started to sleep through most nights now (15 months) so the ideal mornings happen more & more.

I feel your pain...

YES! It is so normal...SURVIVE! LOL

My bad choices all came from using food and caffeine to get me through those crazy early years.

toraziyal
09-12-2011, 11:15 PM
I wish I was a morning person! Ideally I would get out of bed at about 5 am and workout, eat, shower and get ready. I used to get up at 5 am to workout for year because I was a member of a rowing team. So i had accountability to be there for my team, but now, for myself there is none of that. Tt makes it so much harder to get up and workout.

These days, I roll out of bed to get on the computer to start working. Unfortunately, the team that I work with is all in another timezone so the only time I have overlap with them is early in the morning. Then I eat, shower and get dressed if I go to the office.

Magalo
09-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Ideal morning : wake up at 6:00, go run with my neightbor's neglected dog (it' so sad!) during 30 min, go shower, dress up and get pretty, take breakfast, be ready at 7h30-45 to work/go to school. energized and all pretty.

Real morning : Snooze my alarm until 7:15, jump in the shower, get to school/work in a hurry with my hair wet and quickly put on mascara in the car so I don't look like if I just woke up (it's the case). Sleep in class, hungry and tired. :)

GonnaTurnHeads
09-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Ideal:
Wake up at 230pm.
Brush teeth, wash my face, weigh in.
Eat a healthy breakfast.
Go to the gym and work out for 90 minutes.
Come home and shower.
Eat a small recovery meal.
Go about my day.

Reality:
Not even hear the 230pm alarm, snooze through multiple alarms until about 530pm, which is when I have to run around like a crazy person, rush out of the house - then I haven't eaten and I swing through Taco Bell, grab a couple soft tacos and then speed to work looking in the rear view mirror for cops the whole time hoping not to get a ticket.

:-\

jendiet
09-13-2011, 09:06 AM
I am a stay at home mom so I just get up and hang with the kids for a bit and then we eat and get dressed and on with our day... I think having kids you never know what the plan is and nothing ever goes as planned

hahhaha! That is soo the truth~ I wouldn't know what ideal is if it jumped up and bit me on the a$$. I have a 4 month old and we semi-co sleep. He has been doing my favorite cluster feeding--so about every hour. every 3 hours at night...and I don't know what NORMAL is.

sacha
09-13-2011, 09:22 AM
hahhaha! That is soo the truth~ I wouldn't know what ideal is if it jumped up and bit me on the a$$. I have a 4 month old and we semi-co sleep. He has been doing my favorite cluster feeding--so about every hour. every 3 hours at night...and I don't know what NORMAL is.

Oh boy! I remember that one well. It's also called the "wonder week 19", I thought I was going to die of exhaustion. Hope it passes for you soon! ;)

sontaikle
09-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Ideal morning routine: going running, then shower, make lunch, eat breakfast and go to work.

Actual: subtract the running and the rest is my actual routine. I have a hard time incorporating running into my mourning routine because I'm so hungry in the morning, but if I eat when I would have to wake up 5:00am then I would be starving wayyy too early in the day.

I'm thinking of splitting breakfast into two smaller meals.

djs06
09-13-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm thinking of splitting breakfast into two smaller meals.

That's what I do, and it helps so much! I highly recommend it. It helps me because a) I need to eat before I work out or I won't be able to make it through and b) I get SO HUNGRY after a workout, regardless of what I've eaten. So I'll eat a high fiber english muffin and some egg beaters before, and maybe some greek yogurt after. works like a charm!

zoodoo613
09-13-2011, 11:50 AM
There have been a few times in my life when I made exercise in the morning happen. I like the idea of it, but just can't quite pull it off. My kid is 9, so I can't blame him. And at some point between the ages of 2-4 I did get out of bed and exercise while he was still asleep. (Our sleeping arrangements have flopped around so much over the years, and I don't remember what they were at that point, but I can guarantee that it wasn't him in his bed by himself all night.)

For months I had my alarm set for about 5:45, with the idea that I would get up and get some exercise in before leaving for work at about 7:45. That happened maybe twice. Most of the time I hit snooze, or read in bed, or maybe goofed around on the computer. This week I set it for 6:45 and used that time to sleep, which all things considered, I think was the better choice.

sontaikle
09-13-2011, 11:51 AM
That's what I do, and it helps so much! I highly recommend it. It helps me because a) I need to eat before I work out or I won't be able to make it through and b) I get SO HUNGRY after a workout, regardless of what I've eaten. So I'll eat a high fiber english muffin and some egg beaters before, and maybe some greek yogurt after. works like a charm!

I love those high fiber English muffins! :D

I'm glad to see splitting breakfast works for you, I think I'll try it within the next few days once I get a little more accustomed to waking up early (I'm a teacher and my new school starts REALLY early).

Thanks for the tip :)

Kahokkuri
09-13-2011, 12:01 PM
My ideal morning would be waking up more than an hour before I need to leave for work, showering, eating breakfast while I check my websites/do any necessary prep for the day and walking out the door with a lunch I had prepared the night before.

My actual morning is waking up 40 minutes before I need to leave, showering, throwing a haphazard lunch together, skulling a Bio yogurt and walking out the door, usually forgetting something in the process.

sandcar150
09-13-2011, 12:02 PM
In my dreams: Wake refreshed and sparkling with the birds singing. Dance my way to the bathroom where I brush my teeth and weigh myself. Twirl to the kitchen to make an elaborately healthy and tasty meal. Get out to the local produce store where everyone bursts into song as I buy the fruits and veggies I need for the rest of the day....

Maybe I'm aiming too high? ;)

Lovely, this post just seriously made my day. How wonderful it would be if this could actually happen each day! But I'm pretty sure this only happens in Disney movies. Okay, maybe in Denise Austin's life as well. :D

I, too, have grown kids and still cannot stick to my fairly simple schedule. I have it written out and taped to my desk where I stare at it every morning and think, "Yeah, right!" If I get even half those things done in a day, I consider that a very productive day.

So you are definitely not alone with not sticking to your daily routine.