UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:03 AM   #1  

Location: Glasgow, Scotland usually but Afghanistan at the mo

S/C/G: 294/238/168

Height: 5ft 7

Default Diet Coke......

HELP!!! I think I rely far too much on Diet Coke... I try to drink loads of water ( plus being out in Afghan you need to) But I feel like I need the Diet Coke to stop me from snacking on rubbish like chocolate and Haribo haha

How much is too much ?

Gill x
GillW23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 273/273/176

Height: 5 Foot 5 inches

I attend a weight management class with a dietitian as the leader and I was told that Diet fizzy drinks such as Diet Coke were a part of the "Unlimited" section....i.e. you can drink as much of it as you want so long as it's Sugar Free.

Maybe, if you feel you drink too much Diet Coke, you can add a little more variety. Perhaps try Diet Orangeades like Fanta, Diet Cherryade, Diet Cream Soda...things like that?

Or, if you think you drink far too much fizzy juice in general, you can try Sugar Free diluting juice/squash? You can get many different flavours and flavour combinations (Orange, Orange and Mango, Orange and Pineapple and Apple and Blackcurrant being some examples).

Hope I helped!
KH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Diet Coke fills me up more than water and keeps me from snacking too. I never understand these studies that say it makes you want to eat more, but maybe I'm weird.

That said I try to limit myself to one can a day, around lunch time. I need the caffeine boost but I know that too much soda isn't healthy for you.

I don't drink coffee so I need to get some caffeine somewhere I guess.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/tracker/130

Height: 5'1"

I've been getting sh*t from people at work about how much Diet Coke I drink (which, by the way co-workers, you're not my doctor, nutritionist or even a beloved family member looking out for my health, it's none of your business!!!) Of course, drinking water would be a healthier choice and eventually I would want to cut back on my intake as it is 4-5 cans a day, but while I'm struggling through other diet changes, I just can't give up my DC! It satisfies my snacking cravings with no calories.

The studies about it making you hungrier might be true for some people, but if you don't feel it and are otherwise monitoring your calories to make sure it's not sneakily making you eat more, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

(Just to compare, can we take an informal survey of how many cans people drink?)
ald41085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:01 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ald41085 View Post
I've been getting sh*t from people at work about how much Diet Coke I drink (which, by the way co-workers, you're not my doctor, nutritionist or even a beloved family member looking out for my health, it's none of your business!!!) Of course, drinking water would be a healthier choice and eventually I would want to cut back on my intake as it is 4-5 cans a day, but while I'm struggling through other diet changes, I just can't give up my DC! It satisfies my snacking cravings with no calories.

The studies about it making you hungrier might be true for some people, but if you don't feel it and are otherwise monitoring your calories to make sure it's not sneakily making you eat more, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

(Just to compare, can we take an informal survey of how many cans people drink?)
HERE HERE!!! It really does stop me from eating crap- Would rather drink all the diet coke that eat a big chocolate bar-- Well I would rather have the chocolate but to save me from the calories...

I would probably be on 5-6 Cans a day on average sometimes more sometimes Less.. Its night time here I put away 3 Cans haha
Old 09-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH20 View Post
I attend a weight management class with a dietitian as the leader and I was told that Diet fizzy drinks such as Diet Coke were a part of the "Unlimited" section....i.e. you can drink as much of it as you want so long as it's Sugar Free.

Maybe, if you feel you drink too much Diet Coke, you can add a little more variety. Perhaps try Diet Orangeades like Fanta, Diet Cherryade, Diet Cream Soda...things like that?

Or, if you think you drink far too much fizzy juice in general, you can try Sugar Free diluting juice/squash? You can get many different flavours and flavour combinations (Orange, Orange and Mango, Orange and Pineapple and Apple and Blackcurrant being some examples).

Hope I helped!

Thank you- Unfortunatley out here in Afghan I get One Option on diet stuff - Diet Coke

I found a really good powder you add to your water- Lipton Green Tea to Go- Mandarin and Mango Flavour (Sugar Free, antioxidants, 0 Calories, No Carbs) Is really nice and if you freeze it makes for something different...
(just remembered I actually had these lol)
Old 09-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #7  
I'm more fab than flab <3

S/C/G: 354.2/334.6/150

Height: 168

regardless of how much coffee and tea i drink etc i try to get in at least 4 glasses of water and i hope to eventually reach 8 glasses. i love diet coke too in fact i think normal coke is manky and wont touch it. i try to stay away from fizzy drinks though simply because it rots the teeth from your head. a friend of mine went to the dentist and was put straight you either stop drinking it or you lose your teeth. 2 months after not drinking it everyone noticed a difference in his teeth and the dentist said that all the damage could be undone now that he had stopped drinking fizzy drinks.

that scared me i love my teeth more than i love coke.
becckii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #8  
On week 124

S/C/G: 317/242/157

Height: 5'6"

There are pros and cons to drinking diet soda's and I think the chemicals alone in these products are enough to consider the eventual impact when considering the many years of consuming them that's sure to come.

I keep to the philosophy that putting any food or drink on a BANNED LIST only serves to create more cravings. I try to find a balance with the foods and drinks that I know I have trouble keeping in moderation. The fact that I want to eat or drink something without limits is a sign to me that I am justifying it and need to consider the overall impact. I do love the refreshing taste of a diet soda, but how many do I really need? I guide myself by using 3 meals a day as my standard, then 3 drinks (any kind) a day go with that. Water is what I drink otherwise. It works for me.

I have learned that putting foods and drinks in categories like "unlimited" and "banned" only serve to make me want them more. I would rather find a comfortable balance in all things.
one small bowl is offline   Reply With Quote