Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-12-2011, 03:38 AM   #1  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

Default Help with Stopping Lattes

I need to be held acountable for not having iced latte's anymore. I am doing calorie counting and have been unsuccessful. Even though the lattes are only 190 calories, all the sugar and carbs are not being burned off I should have something more healthy for 190 calories.
This week I am allowing myself a small instead of a medium. At 160 calories they are 30 less cals, 3 less carbs and 3 less grams of sugar than the medium.
Today counting the latte I only ate 1200 calories because I slept in today so its only fair. But anyways I want to post on here and be held acountable for not drinking the lattes anymore or have a small Thanks!
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:40 AM   #2  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

I am allowed 1400 calories a day to lose weight
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I actually think lattes made with skim milk and just 1 pack of brown sugar are a great component to a low-calorie diet. Milk has protein, lots of nutrients and lattes are very satisfying and can keep you from indulging in other less virtuous snacks.

A small latte with skim has only 100 calories, so I imagine the drink you are getting with 160 is a flavored latte with syrup in it? If so, perhaps switch a regular latte with skim milk.

Another option is chai. Not starbucks chai-syrup-from-a-box, but a cup of half water, half steamed milk with a chai tea bag and one packet of sugar. (Sorry I love sugar and can't do substitutes- if you can though maybe opt for that). It's even fewer calories, very flavorful, and quite satisfying.

Anyway, whatever you choose to do, good luck with accountability!

Last edited by indiblue; 09-12-2011 at 03:46 AM.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:23 AM   #4  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I was going to suggest something very similar to indiblue. I'm a calorie counter, and I drink an iced latte with skim milk and sugar free syrup/sugar substitute just about every weekday. I have since the beginning of my weight loss. The skim milk is a good source of protein, which fills me and keeps me pretty satisfied throughout the morning. I allow myself 1200-1500 calories per day, and my 110 calorie iced venti latte fits in just fine.

The switch to a smaller size is a good way to cut back on the calories, but otherwise consider just cutting back on the amount of sugar in your latte. I'm fine with artificial sweetener, but if you prefer not to consume any, try drinking your latte with just a small amount of sugar or with stevia.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #5  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I am a frappuccino addict. I can't eliminate them completely, so I allow myself two a week and get the light version (150 calories for a medium). I also count calories and just make sure to work it into my budget.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/216/160

Height: 5'8"

Also have you tried making your own? I don't have an espresso machine, but I will make a latte with strong coffee and light vanilla soymilk or almond breeze and sf vanilla or caramel syrup. Pretty good!

Another thing I learned is that you can cold brew coffee so that it is not bitter at all- you just mix the coffee grounds with the water and let it sit in your fridge overnight, then strain the grounds out. It's AMAZING- sweet and almost chocolatey- something about the chemical makeup of coffee not getting bitter because you don't heat it. I heard about it on the internet and I've been doing it ever since. It also makes it easy because you can put it in a container with a spout in your fridge and just pour some into your glass, top with milk, and voila!
DezziePS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/185/160

Height: 5'6

I'm also a iced coffee addict! I allow myself a small as a treat every now and again. Like everyone else said, if you get them made with low fat or skim milk they are actually a reasonable indulgence.
TL0812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #8  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I'm a mocha addict, so I "budget" in 1 a day. If I get it at Starbcusk, I get it "super skinny" and it works out to 150-220 cals, depending on how high I can go that day. I also make a killer skinny mocha at home that is only 160 cals. Good protein, low sugar and lots-o-caffeine!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #9  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

I agree I wouldn't (and I don't) cut them out. If you want something for at home... I can recommend the Dolce Gusto coffee makers. They are not cheap (machine and capsules) but the lattes are great and they have something like 84 cal and not much fat.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #10  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezziePS View Post
Another thing I learned is that you can cold brew coffee so that it is not bitter at all- you just mix the coffee grounds with the water and let it sit in your fridge overnight, then strain the grounds out. It's AMAZING- sweet and almost chocolatey- something about the chemical makeup of coffee not getting bitter because you don't heat it. I heard about it on the internet and I've been doing it ever since. It also makes it easy because you can put it in a container with a spout in your fridge and just pour some into your glass, top with milk, and voila!
Details, please! Do you use the same ratio of coffee grounds to water as when making coffee in a coffee pot? I'd love to try this!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

I broke myself of lattes by home brewing coffee and adding flavored creamer. Eventually you get used to it and it has less calories (35-70 depending on the morning) and doesn't carry that awful aftertaste of some sugar free syrups.
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/216/160

Riddy- this is the how-to from Pioneer Woman's blog (she is totally awesome if you haven't ever checked out her blog before!). She uses one pound ground coffee to two gallons water. I usually don't make such large quantities, and I do use the same ratio that I use in a coffee pot. Let me know how you like it- it's truly revolutionary!!
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...t-iced-coffee/
DezziePS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the others, the best option is skim milk and low sugar/sugar replacement. You can't give up what you love and expect to stick to the diet forever! Better to work these things in.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #14  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezziePS View Post
Thanks so much for the link! I'd heard about this recipe (and blog) but had forgotten about it until you brought it up.
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #15  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Thank you so much, Dezzie! I can't wait to try the cold brew coffee!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote