Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 212/209/125

Height: 5' 1.6"

Default It's nice to be here :) Read my story! (LONG) Input! Input! :D

Never did it even cross my mind to join a supportive community. Not until I was browsing Google one day looking for weight loss tips, that I found a link to this site. I thought the name of this community was cute with the picture of the chicks, I thought the creators of this community are creative and humorous for that idea. I snuck on at work a bit checking the forums and seeing such kindness and support here, and posting a few times for my 2 cents worth. I've wanted to actually write a proper introduction for myself. So here it is, after being a member for a week now, its time for me to delve in and really join this community.

This is my story...

A few years back I thought it'd be in my best interest to take on a personal trainer 3 times a week, a small branch from a gym called Unlimited Fitness. For the sake of privacy, let's say this trainer's name is Tom. I don't even remember how long I was working with this guy, but he HATED me. I signed a contract though and I couldn't get out of it, and they wouldn't reassign me to someone else. Tom would always compare my weight loss to other clients of his. Honestly the workouts were tremendous, I'd feel vomitty during each one. But after a while of just tolerating him I did kinda give up. I'd do the vomit inducing workouts with him, but I didn't eat properly. He'd never bother to go over food nutrition with me. It was all about the workouts. The worst part of it was they threatened to cancel my sessions because I had so many unused sessions and we were nearing the end date of the contract. Now I'm not perfect. I did make some cancellations in that time. But this trainer had his own share of cancellations with me, to work on other clients or to do marathons, or whatever his excuses were. Finally that contract was over. I vowed never to take personal training again.

After a year I decided to get back into working out again. THIS time, on my OWN schedule. I joined GoodLife Fitness, and during the introductory sessions I met a female Trainer who we'll call Ariana. She was calm, soft spoken, such a nice girl. Guess who got talked into personal training again? At this same time I went to my Doctor's office for the usual yearly checkup. I got my blood tested and she put me on hypothyroid medication. So I'm Hypothyroid now? does that mean working out is pointless if my metabolism doesn't work properly anyway? Is this going to be double the work now? I was very discouraged. But Ariana was awesome and supportive. I worked with her for about 3 weeks, I loved it. I had my food journal, I was eating all the right foods, I magically didn't crave any bad foods anymore at all. I didn't need weekly treats. I just had more energy, I felt great. I had lost 8 pounds! But then she quit and went to work somewhere else and I got transferred to someone who we'll call Dean. Oh great, another harsh male trainer... All in all Dean was a nice guy. But I wasn't able to keep my schedule like I had with Ariana. He had me change it to times that were less convenient for me. He worked me like a dog. Vomit inducing type workouts again, cramps in my side, just work through it! Like with a drill sargeant. He says you're supposed to get sick. There was a time we'd done a full hour's work out and he had me running on the treadmill, I was beat I said I couldn't do anymore, I wanted to stop or slow down. He said to keep going, as per usual, I ALWAYS had to keep going no matter how tired. So I don't know if I passed out for a brief second or if I fell asleep, but I fell off the treadmill. He was casual about it, and said that I'm out of energy and now I can go home. Dean was a nice guy. But he'd get really mad if you expressed that the time frames he wanted didn't work for you. He kept badgering me to come in at 5 in the morning instead of in the evenings so that he could schedule other clients. It got REALLY annoying to have that argument 4 nights a week. Dean had me on a plan to eat 1800 calories a day, and I found I did more muscle training than cardio. Only much later did I learn that you can't lose weight eating 1800 cals a day. I think I have plenty of muscle already as it is. I'm fine with maintaining them, and I get that the more muscle you have the faster you burn cals even when you're just sitting. But really I was in this for the weight loss, not to become a body builder. Dean comes to me while I'm only 6 months into my year's contract and says to me that he will be taking a test to upgrade his training lvl, and that if I want to keep working with him, I should pay upfront now for next year's training lessons before the costs rise up. I was very conflicted and stress thinking about having to pay $9000 bucks upfront like that when i wasn't feeling like i was in the best place with him anyway, but he was my only hope too. In the end I did the right thing and didn't renew right there and then, cause as it turns out soon after that. Dean had to put me with ANOTHER trainer as he decided he couldn't take me in the evenings anymore. Okay....

So I got paired up with a girl trainer who we'll call Janice. I liked her, it was great to be working with a girl again. She was fun and awesome. But I had her for 2 weeks before she quit to do an acting job for a movie.

So.... that leaves me to my last and final trainer who we'll name Nancy. She is a bit more than my weight, and she also had a lot of muscle on her. She wanted me to do strictly body building, SAYING I'd lose weight that way, that my body is built for muscle training because of my broad shoulders. :S She worked me, and she's talk about how I should do competitions and win Skull trophies for strength. I was near the end of my contract, I still had a lot of sessions left. But I quit cause I couldn't take this anymore.

I was at GoodLife Fitness for a year. I did the daily food journal, for the majority of that time I ate carefully, but I think the recommendations I was given sometimes was wrong. The trainers don't all really know what they are talking about. I was eating too many calories. I was eating the calories of a body builder. From February 2010 - March 2010 I weighed 210 lbs and then 202. Then April 2010 - Feb 2011 when my contract ended I was back to 210.

I just went on the scale today, this being I guess 7 months later, and I am at 212 pounds... I'm not sad! That's actually really not that bad considering how long I've been off the wagon. I'll be okay. I was on a another medication prescribed by my doctor when I joined GoodLife Fitness. It was an anxiety medication, but I only recently learned that this med makes you gain weight. I decided to just live with the anxiety, its not worth gaining any more weight! Stopped taking it.

So here I am today. I've let my membership at GoodLife Fitness roll on and on unused since March. and just the other day I finally went in there and I quit. I joined the newer bigger more luxurious gym in the same area, called The Atheletic Club. I'm going to start going this week, and it will be good to be working out somewhere with no bad vibes and no bad history. I think I'm doing the right thing.

LG
Love Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #2  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

Hey, welcome!! :-) so I read through your story and am sorry you've had such a hard time with personal trainers! But maybe you can turn your experience into a good thing? Hopefully there is at least SOMETHING good that you've learned from each trainer... And with your history of working with so many different people, maybe you can sit down and make your own plan, where you piece together a bunch of things that you liked/worked for you from each trainer? I know having a plan written out for me to follow really helps me to stay on track as far as working out goes. Anyways- welcome and good luck on your journey! I hope you can find the support that you're looking for!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #3  

Your problem seems to be that you think these people are responsible for your weight loss or lack there of - and you can lose weight on 1800 calories. I'm hypothyroid and have lost over 200 pounds. You seem to think exercise is going to help a ton with weight loss - sorry but it's more like 20% exercise and 80% what you eat. If you thought they had you on too many calories, why didn't you eat less? It's your body and you have to take responsibility for what you eat and what exercise you do. I am 70 years young and have a personal trainer who works me like a dog and I love it. It has helped me lower my thyroid meds, lowered my blood pressure, toned my body and helped me build bone (I have osteoporosis).
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #4  

Thanks Danzingurl77, I really love your positive spin, and you're right I do have a lot to take from this experience, I have learned a lot about what to do and what not to do, the myths and truths about weightloss, how perhaps some things may work for some and not for others. I was confused through the time I had been there but I did have plenty of time to think about things more clearly.

QuilterInVa, I'm very happy to hear that you've found success with your trainer and have been able to find your solution. I do ask nicely though that you please not put words in my mouth and walk all over my view and belittling my experiences. I meant only to post a pleasant introduction with my experience.

At the time I did believe that it was 50/50 exercise and eating. SINCE then I've learned that (in my opinion) exercise is good for general health, but food choices are the weight loss. And as stated in the post it was LATER I learned that 1800 cals a day is the amount for body builders. I didn't know that it should be 1200-1500 cals a day. You're right that to SOME extent I hold trainers responsible. They are supposed to be knowledgeable, you're supposed to succeed as long as you follow the plan. Thats what they say. That's what they promise when you're handing them a cheque for $7488.00.

I have no doubt some people are lucky to find a trainer who see them through their training. I know one girl who succeeded that way with a trainer. But we aren't all given a good hand when dealing with trainers. I feel when you pay for a trainer you're taking a chance, you're betting on their knowledge and their continued attendance.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 335/188.5/165

Height: 5'10 1/2

Wow, they charged you $9000 for a trainer? I joined a local gym in April of this year and met with my first trainer ever, she's wonderful I haven't been able to see her the past couple months because I can't afford it, but she only charged $100 for six weeks of training and then $75 again for another six weeks. I miss working with her, but the funds and time issue right now doesn't fit, so I squeeze in gym time on my own and attend gym classes.

Welcome to 3FC it's wonderful here! Lots of support and I've gotten lots of my questions answered. Really supportive community.
Aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #6  

Hi Aishah,

Yeah for the first year they charged me $7488.00 averaged to $55 per session. Then they wanted me to start paying $9000.00 to continue training for the next year.

Honestly, $100 bucks for six weeks, and then $75?? I wish we had those price ranges here where I live. And that you don't have to commit for such a long term, that is impressive!

Yeah I'm actually really excited about attending the group classes at my new gym. Kickboxing, Zumba, spinning, aerobics, water aerobics, yoga. I'm anxcious to try it all. I think mixing it up will keep it motivating.

Thank you for the warm welcome, I am happy to be here Everyone does seem very nice so far.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:02 AM   #7  

I think you are so brave to use trainers. I have resisted that because while it takes a push to extend myself further than I feel I can, I simply do not feel I could cope with someone else bossing me about and forcing me to work till I vomit. I took a lot of inspiration from The Biggest Loser to get myself to run and jump and I figure I know my body right now better than anyone and what it can do ... and if I then push it it is down to me.

For the money you spend on trainers you can buy your own gym equipment. You know enough from training with them that you have a great idea of what to buy and how to push yourself?

Diet wise there is so much on the web. 1200-1500 calories a day, coupled with workouts is a nice way to lose gradually and you know your body and your balance to adjust it. And coping with your health issues only you can be sympathetic to your body's needs and the level of demand you can put on it.

Trust yourself, you are your own best trainer once you have tools and knowledge and that way you are not at the mercy of quacks.
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote