Old 09-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #1  
~Being Positive~

S/C/G: 238/211/150

Height: 5'4

Exclamation Any suggestions on eating at a family reunion?

I am attending a family reunion this week end and just started on my journey Tuesday. I have lost 3 pounds since it I dont want to gain not 1 pound of it back. How do I eat at the reunion and not draw attention to myself? What should I eat and what should I stay away from? It is out of town and I will be staying at someone's house, and she is a caterer....which to me makes it that much more difficult because I know she cooks great food (also unhealthy). Please help!
Caramel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #2  
Fit by Forty!

S/C/G: 220/209/150

Height: 5'5"

I would take a walk before the meal, cut my portions in half, and take a walk after the meal.

There's going to be times when we're not entirely in control of what is being served and have to wing it. Taking a small step by cutting your portions and avoiding the fried stuff should be enough to help you maintain.

Those are my thoughts. I'm starting back up again and I understand exactly what you're dealing with. Great job on the 3 lbs!!

Lisa
LisaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #3  
~Being Positive~

Thx Lisa! I dont think I did too bad since all the meat was bbq'd without the sauce and I only had 1 small dessert (1 inch L & W) lol.... and although its not good to not eat, that is the only meal that I had today.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #4  
Aiming to be a fitmom!

S/C/G: 371.4/ticker/150

I would choose the things i like the most and eat smaller portions of them. If there's salad, i'd eat a big salad first then just have a nibble of the good stuff!!

If you go over your calories, try to balance out with some exercise or lower your calories the day after, but not too low, you don't want to starve!
fatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #5  

Height: 1'7.5"

How did you do, Caramel? This probably comes after your event but we all face this scenario more often than not.
I find that most people don't really focus on what we eat, as long as we eat something. If it is possible, I would try the "buffet procedure". Look at all the items available and eat most from the items that you enjoy but are on your program and bits of the items that you really, really like but are not. This way you will most likely be 90% on your program and yet not feel that you missed out on anything.
I don't know about anybody else but I find that if I attend a special event and I really want something and I have none of it, I tend to obsess over it and binge later, on something that is not even close to the item I really wanted. Of course, if you attend special events more than a few times a year, you (like me) may have to be really selective when choosing those few items.
I say this, of course, not knowing your plan or your situation and being under the assumption that you have the ability to choose just about any food as opposed. If you need to restrict certain items due to a specific woe or medical condition (i.e. diabetes) hmmmm never mind and sorry for my 2 cents.
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #6  
~Being Positive~

Fatmom & boomerang - Thx for your response it is greatly appreciated
boomerang - no medical conditions, but all of the meat was bbq'd without sauce being added. I am with you on tending to obsess over something I really want and not eat any.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #7  
~Being Positive~

Default Good news

Well ladies my WI days are Fridays but I had to see if I had added some pounds at the family reunion.... Well I did NOT , I actually lost another pound . I am so happy and excited to be back on this journey!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #8  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

My BBQ strategies:

1 cup of fruit is usually about 60 cals.

I look up the info for a hotdog, plain.

Look up info on your fave sides and put together a general calorie plan!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #9  

Height: 1'7.5"

Caramel (by the way, your username is one of my favorite food GROUPS!!! ) Congratulations!!!
It must be so wonderful to have conquered a situation that was, potentially, fraught with so many temptations and to lose a # too!!!. Now you will have this knowledge in your repertoire of experiences and know you can make it through any situation in which you are not 100% in control of what is being served and how it is prepared.
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote