South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #1  
Goals are the fuel

S/C/G: 176/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Issues Staying OP - any ides?

Okay, so I realize that I have not been successful on Phase 2. I am on week 15 of Phase 2, and have only lost 6 lbs in that time. I keep gaining and losing the same few pounds.

I food journal daily and weigh in weekly, so after taking an honest look at my eating and exercise, I think the issue is that I can't seem to stay on plan for a respectable length of time. The longest run in these 15 weeks has been 9 consecutive days on plan. Only one of the numerous off-plan occasions has been planned.

Now, when I go off plan, I'm not bingeing or going crazy with pizza and ice cream - it will be more like having one more serving of fruit or whole grain than I had planned on, or having a few bites of a shared dessert at a restaurant, enjoying fatty red meat (BBQ ribs!), or a few chips when out for Mexican. When standing alone, most of the violations don't look especially horrible - but when added up together it makes sense that I haven't made any real headway.

Does anyone else have this problem? Am I the only one who can't seem to to stick to the plan - that keeps letting the little things slide in there over and over again?

As far as a solution, I'm thinking about setting up some sort of positive reinforcement. IE, stay on plan for 10 days and then buy myself some flowers or something. I dunno. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by FurnaceOfAchievement; 09-09-2011 at 02:34 PM.
FurnaceOfAchievement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Furn, it almost sounds as if you may be sensitive to grains. I wouldn't think that an extra serving of fruit or a few bites of dessert would sabotage your weight loss so much. If you feel like experimenting, try completely cutting out grains for several days and see if that helps. Other than that, as long as you're keeping your calories in check, I really don't have any other advice right now.

Good luck, and I hope this helps!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #3  

Hi Furn, I do agree, grains can do some nasty things! I have that horrible rare allergy to wheat and exercise...together! I know!

But, another thing I thought about when you mention this is exercise. I appreciate your response on my thread about how many times a week do you exercise - and your responses all have helped me to push on five days a week. But I have noticed with myself that sometimes our bodies get used to things and we need to change it up a bit so our bodies actually get the memo! I to have struggled with a few pounds, gaining and losing for over a month. Solely changing my exercise routine got me back on track. I dont go to the gym but I have a variety of things at home (or outside) that I do and try to change it up every so often (keeps my body in check and from getting board as well) From zumba to ellipitcal and strength training. Exercise TV online has great videos that you can download and they really are not expensive. Good luck!
anilom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hmm...first off, you mention that your time on P2 has been unsuccessful. In my estimation you are heading in the right direction so there must be some positive associated with that. It is frustrating when things aren't going as fast as we wish.

My best weightloss was when I stayed 100% OP. I notice with my scale readings that even small amounts of off plan foods seem to mess with my water retention so unless I'm really sticking to plan I tend to bounce up and down, too.

You asked for suggestions for staying OP. I seem to be in my best groove when I write things down. When I write my food plan the evening before I have something to look at which doesn't include those off plan bites. I am doing this on a dry erase board right now which sits by my computer. I also write a few "rules" for the day...depending on what I think might be tempting. It just gives me a little reminder.

I found it much easier to stay 100% OP when I had more to lose. Now that I feel pretty comfortable it seems easier to have little indulgences here and there. I do still find that my best connection to staying OP is posting here daily. I think I'd do better if I posted on the OP thread daily, but right now my day to day life is so up and down I seem to have a hard time doing that.

I'm definitely trying new things to learn more about myself and what my body needs to lose then keep the weight off.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Do you actually weigh and measure all your food, to calorie count? Are you overestimating calories? Or, are you not eating enough calories?

It sounds like you're doing awesome. In this world, I think it is nearly impossible to stay 100% OP ALL the time. Yes, it can make you hold on to water gain a little bit, but I think *most* people can't stick to 100% on plan ALL the time....because eventually they'll go crazy for all the food they haven't been eating. Unless all your friends eat that way, your whole family eats that way, and you have AMAZING willpower....you gotta be just a wee bit off plan sometimes.

Good luck! You're doing great!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Sounds like me! I'm super sensitive to going off plan, even little bits. Subway sandwich and chips = a three pound gain that takes me a week and a half to lose. So unfair.

Enter the star chart. I give myself a green star for eating on plan, a blue star for drinking my water, a red one for cardio, and a silver one for strength training. I print a blank calendar each month, and sticker day by day. Somedays, it is quite honestly the only thing that keeps me on plan. Especially once I get a good streak going.

It's not perfect- but it is a great tool that has worked for me. Then, I reward myself for every seven days on plan with new nail polish or something to that effect.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #7  
Start IP 4/8/2013

S/C/G: upper 174/163.9/130

Height: 5'4

Good morning Furn~

As you know, im new this week. I have not gone on the scale and wont check until 9 days from now... im on day 5-- oh wait -- day 6 yeah me
but what I have to offer and maybe why I have or at least part of the reason why I have issues with the scale and other diets I have been on-- most recently WW... is the fact that I do work out. Now since school ended (mid june)-- i did get off plan with WW.. I had started in March and lost about 7 pounds... but I was also working out intensly about 4 times a week on average but sometimes 5-6 times a week. I would see people who dont work out eat the same points - weigh about the same as me and after 3 months they lost about 20 pounds. I stayed on their plan... and counted every point and measure all my food and to not lose or in fact still gain... it was painful... and time and time again they would say after looking at my food log.... your not eating enough.. well DUH... how the heck did I get here then... eating too much... which I think in turn caused me to overly focus on everything I was eating...how much extra to eat ??? then im always adjusting... do I stop working out? when I dont I just get in a funk...i need it for my mental- fix!

where am i going with this... well I guess if you are staying OP somemany days say even 7-- I know one day can sabotage your progress... but I also know you should be able to have treats. If you are doing a workout for more than 60 minutes you probably should have a small snack.. small--
my attempt to try the SBD was to detox my summer FUN with my kids -- traveling on road trips cause havoc no matter how good i try to be. im a mil spouse and we moved this past dec-- everytime we move I gain weight... 13 months before that - i moved - 10 months before that- i moved... each time I gain I try to get back on track-- endless cycle of stess etc... so here I am again and so far -- even though Im not on the scale.. my husband has lost 5 pounds since last tuesday and Im not stressing about counting everypoint... and deciding what I cant eat or can at every meal. I am a sugar addict and I like to get my fix in the carb dept. ie.. pasta- wine- bread - more wine- margaritas.. pizza... beer you name it...

Bottom Line up Front: your still 6 pounds down. that is AWESOME!!! If you need a small incentive to get thru 14 days of staying on plan then do what you need to do... if 14 days is too long start small 1 day at a time... gotta make it to day 3...but above all-- SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS -- everyday is a new day-- step away from the scale-- for one week-- and get back to the basics- limit your phase 2 foods to maybe everyother day and see what happens at the end of the week. and above all DONT BEAT YOURSELF UP.... KEEP SWIMMING..... I hope you have a awesome week!
Desiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #8  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Hi Furn,

I too am very sensitive to cheats and am not looking forward to stepping on the scale tomorrow when I get home. I find too that unless I am avoiding all non Ph2 foods, I fall off or it takes 3 weeks to lose the pound I originally lost!

An extra grain or fruit serving shouldn't hurt you unless you are subbing it for veggies (water = friend), which I realized I was doing too much of during the week.

Hang in there! You are doing sooo well!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #9  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

Do you think it might be helpful to switch back to P1 for a week or 2 and then slowly transition again in to a fruit one day or a grain the next?
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW 270/see ticker/GW 150

Height: 5'9"

Oh Furn, I've been meaning to start a thread about the same thing because I am in the EXACT SAME BOAT. I was seeing slooooooooow, steady weight loss up until now. And you're off plan moments are way saintlier than mine. I think I got to a point where "I have to find out what works and what doesn't" almost became an excuse, because I was still slowly seeing weight loss with a good amount of off plan stuff i.e. I didn't worry about beer or full fat cheeses as much as I should. It's caught up with me now and I'm not only stalled, but back up 2 lbs. I find it interesting that the less I read this forum, the worse my diet got. Fascinating, no? With any way of life change, its a learning process.
I'm stumped by you. You seem to be doing great. I always do a few days of P1 after even the littlest cheat... I don't know if tricking your system would do the trick or what. I'd hate to tell you to work out even more! What a drag!
I'll be reading this thread to find out what the rest say, but hang in there. Its a tough, sometimes unrewarding road, but we're all in it together and we'll figure it out and all learn from this. I admire your stick-to-it-iveness. The reward will come, I promise!
YeahYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Sigh. I'm kind of in the same boat, and I'm pretty much in denial about it. I really really need to get back into a real SBD diet, as I've kind of made up my own version for the past few months. Coincidentally (or not), my weight loss has stalled since then. I do need to eat a bit more carby foods to fuel my runs, cause I've really ramped up on training. But at the same time, I need to be honest with myself and cut back on the "off plan" foods.
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #12  
Goals are the fuel

S/C/G: 176/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

You gals are so amazing!!! I feel a lot better hearing from all of you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has difficulty with this. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for your advice and just being there during the tough times.

Cottage - I'm afraid that you might be right about my sensitivity to grains. Its why I knew SBD would work for me, but also is what's tough about it. I love grains, but unfortunately they love my thighs.

anilom007 - Yeah, my exercise is pretty stagnant. A few weeks ago I tried to mix it up and intensify it, but I couldn't make that fit into my normal schedule, so I went back to my routine. I need to look at that again.

Debbie - Thank you so much for focusing on the positive, sharing that its the same for you too, and your suggestion for planning ahead. I've started planning out 2 days in advance instead of just one, and so far so good (it's been just 3 or 4 days of that). I like your rules idea. It's all about management!

Twynn - No, I don't weigh or measure my food, except when following a recipe. And I ignore serving sizes to boot. Its one of the things that has made SBD work for me - if I'm hungry after eating the first chicken breast, I eat half of another one. I go hay wild with on-plan food if I am hungry. It is possible my calories are fluctuating (during TOM that's a guarantee!), so I can keep an eye out for that. Thank you.

SouthLake - Thank you so much. It sure is good to not feel so alone in this. It IS unfair! I like your star chart and have been thinking about that kind of setup for myself - I am definitely motivated by getting on a roll, and something so visual would be something I'm proud of and motivated by. =) Awesome idea.

Desiroo - I think you're right. I need to have a goal that is pushing me a little, but not too far that it feels unattainable. And no matter what I gotta just keep swimming. =)

Jenne - Excellent point. I bet I am subbing it for veggies without even noticing! I'm gonna have to pay attention to that.

Shelly - Yes, and I've done that before. Basically I live in a perpetual phase 1.5 - each week when I weigh in I decide how many "phase 2" foods (wine, fruit, or a whole grain) I'm allowing myself per day for the coming week.

YeahYeah - I really identify with what you said - I follow SBD but I'm not as much of a "stickler" as perhaps I need to be. Your plan of doing Phase 1 after even a tiny treat sounds a little scary to me, but it sounds effective and I may just have to bite the bullet and do that.

fozentusic - Yep - I've lived in the "Furn's version of SBD" many times, somehow convincing myself that its just as legitimate as the doctor designed SBD. Alas, that is where this thread started from.
FurnaceOfAchievement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Anyone interested in a Phase One redux?
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 182.5/175.6/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozentusic View Post
If that means, doing phase 1 again then I'm in. I started SBD again today after going off track this July. I gained 8 of the 10lbs I lost but I'm determined to take it right back off.

I noticed your ticker that you are 4 days to running the 5K. Good luck!
nat4crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozentusic View Post
I am definitely in. I have really been struggling with getting back on plan completely.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote