100 lb. Club - Baby Steps: Just One Week of Greatness

Curvaliscious
09-06-2011, 12:23 AM
When I first started on my weight loss journey it was overwhelming. So much so that part of me couldn't imagine even beginning and felt it wasn't even worth trying. As I felt even more desperate and was being faced with some drastic options I told myself to try and have just one good day. Just one. And I did. And I felt good and was proud and felt slightly energetic and encouraged. So I tried the next day. And the next. Obviously, I still have a ways to go and I now I'm looking toward a huge goal in January. And it seems so far off that I see I'm allowing myself to have a bad day here and there (more often) because I know I have until January to get the weight off. Well..that's not working for me.

So...back to baby steps. I plan on having a great day tomorrow, but my goal is really for the entire week. I'm thinking that's reasonable. Yes, these are things I need to do for a lifetime, but I need to play the game at this point and look toward just one, really great week.

So, here goes. I have fruit, protein, veggies and even a treat prepared. My walking clothes are laid out and a movie is waiting to be watched while I walk.

Anyone want to join me for just one week of greatness? Not perfection. Just perseverance.

linJber
09-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Count me in - I just got back from 9 days of camping (in cabins) with a huge group of friends. I need to get right back on track. Tomorrow will tell at my weigh in if I managed to avoid any major gain while I was gone.

Lin

diyana
09-06-2011, 08:36 AM
I'm definitely up for achieving my goals with lots of dedication and perseverance, including commitment to portion controlled healthy eating and burning calories through activity. :)

runningfromfat
09-06-2011, 08:56 AM
:wave:

Me too! I have my follow-up meeting with my nutritionist next week so I really want to do well this week. TOM is expected this week too so it's probably going to be that much more challenging but I really want to see a difference when I go back to my nutritionist!

Curvaliscious
09-06-2011, 09:56 AM
OK, so I'm really going to need the support just to even walk today. Woke up at 3am to the smoke detector and water leaking through the detector. Sooooo tired.

I'll check back in this afternoon to share about Day One of greatness (which at this point makes me laugh to even think about).:)

Curvaliscious
09-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Running...I've always wanted to see a nutritionist. How does it work? Meaning, are there different options or what?

runningfromfat
09-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Running...I've always wanted to see a nutritionist. How does it work? Meaning, are there different options or what?

There are probably a ton of different types of nutritionist out there, I'm not really sure about it. What happened with me is that my Ob/Gyn works in an office that focuses on women health issues so they have a nutritionist there and also an ultrasound tech and also some people who do pilates/rehab/spa type of things too. So I just made a trial appointment with the nutritionist about 1.5 weeks ago. It was nice to get some ideas but I don't necessarily agree with her 100% (she's trying to get me to eat more carbs and I tried, it just made me hungrier!). Beyond that, though, she had me write down a sample day of what I ususally eat and gave me some suggestions. Some of which were really good.

This next week we're going to be talking about portion size more and continue to fine tune my diet. I really enjoyed the individual help and one big thing that helped me a lot is that we live abroad (and haven
t lived here very long either!) so she was able to tell me what foods were good here and what ones to avoid. That helped a lot because it would've taken a lot longer to learn that on my own.

Trazey34
09-06-2011, 10:55 AM
yay, here's to Days of Greatness!! (DOG for short!) That's a smart way to go about things - planning for months or years in advance is way too daunting, but anyone can do a DAY! good for you ;)

I've seen a nutritionist once, it was free with my work insurance, and i hated her LOL she was about 12, weighed about 46 pounds and said "you need to eat less and exercise more to lose weight" OOOOHHHHHHHH thanks for the big news!! hahahah But like doctors, there's great ones and sucky ones, it all depends! Give it a try, even to get an idea in your mind of what's what.

go DOGS!!!

runningfromfat
09-06-2011, 11:01 AM
I've seen a nutritionist once, it was free with my work insurance, and i hated her LOL she was about 12, weighed about 46 pounds and said "you need to eat less and exercise more to lose weight" OOOOHHHHHHHH thanks for the big news!! hahahah But like doctors, there's great ones and sucky ones, it all depends! Give it a try, even to get an idea in your mind of what's what.

Oh, that was actually one thing I loved about my nutritionist! She used to be obese and was a binge eater on sugar so she could really relate to my problems. She was able to give me ideas on how I could still have sweets every now and then but not go overboard. I haven't binged on sweets since then! :carrot:

Curvaliscious
09-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Day 1: It took me so long to complete my first great day that I'm finally writing in at 9:30 at night. I have been awake since 3a.m. due to a huge water leak in our ceiling, so it was not a great day starting out. Without sleep and enough food, I can be a bear! :)

Anyway, I said great, not perfect. BUT, I walked! I actually took my daughter to the park and walked there and then again tonight for a longer walk on the treadmill. I was determined to get enough time in to make it count! My eating was so-so because I need to eliminate sides. Or at least get some alternatives.

Tomorrow I'm planning for a normal schedule, so we'll see what happens!

Emme
09-07-2011, 10:49 AM
This is awesome! I really like your honesty about your journey. Yes, baby steps and goals are great. Good for you!

cfmama
09-07-2011, 11:41 AM
I am in for one week of greatness for sure!!!!!!!

Day 1: all food planned. Take a NAP! Take four collies for a walk tonight.

Go!

Curvaliscious
09-07-2011, 08:28 PM
So glad I'm not alone in this!

DAY 2: Excellent day today! Stayed within calories (day's not over, but I have the food cooking now) AND walked/jogged for 40minutes.

Tomorrow I have somewhere to be during my normal walking time, so I may get up early and do it before the kids are up. Wish me luck!

linJber
09-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Well, Tuesday and Wednesday were both pretty good days of staying on plan, and that makes them great! Got a little munchy with some pita chips on Wednesday night, but nothing too awful! Sometimes the munchy monkey is just there on your back and you have to feed it! Should have eaten carrots, but that didn't happen. I got up early on Wednesday and went to the gym at 6 am, then work until 5, then a friend cut and colored my hair. Home by 9. It was a long day and I'm tired this morning and slept in a bit. It will be an early night tonight and then it's almost the weekend. Yippee!

Here's to a really great day to all. You know what's funny? I didn't weigh myself on day 1 of the week of greatness and no one else has mentioned their weight, either. Sometimes it just isn't about the scale.

Lin

cathi888
09-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I love this idea. I AM going with the new DOG motto. I am hanging this on my bathroom mirror.
"Day of Greatness"

I CAN and WILL have a DOG!
Greatness is all about doing what is right for me, because, because, well just because it is RIGHT for me.

Curvaliscious
09-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Lin, that's because I've been stuck at 228 for forever and it's just killing me to put that out there. For me , right now, I need to see the number because I'm not feeling lighter even though I'd lost the weight equivalent to a toddler. :) No one else needs to put their weight our there, for Lin is right, a Day of Greatness can be more about what's on the scale. If you walked/exercised or ate well and FEEL good about that, then that's enough!

But for me..I need to face the number.
Starting Weight for DOG: 228

Yay, Cathi!! Hanging it on the mirror is a great idea!

Curvaliscious
09-09-2011, 12:59 AM
DAY3 of Greatness: Cranky morning threatened to ruin the day, but I logged everything and planned ahead. Didn't walk, but plan on doing so tomorrow!

linJber
09-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Good morning, Curvalicious. I really do understand our connection to the number on the scale. It sets my mood all too often. I hate it when it doesn't move or goes up when I KNOW it was OP to the letter. But that happens. As long as the trend is downward, I'm good. Even staying the same can be OK. I've finally come to realize that this is the way I have to eat FOREVER. This is not a diet. If I don't eat this way, weight will come back on. So maintaining for a while is good. It shows we can do it. It's also frustrating because we just want to see results.

I re-read your original post. You really do have the right attitude. I hope you have another Day Of Greatness today. Stick with it for one more day, and then again tomorrow just like you said. And next Monday we'll start week 2 of greatness. You're doing great in the attitude department. That's 90% of the battle.

TGIF! LOL

Lin

April Snow
09-09-2011, 08:21 AM
keep going you guys! I love the idea of this - one day of greatness at a time is the way we all get where we need to be!!

Curvaliscious
09-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Day 6: Just got through walking and have lunch and dinner all planned out! I took a peek at the scale (weigh in is tomorrow) and I"m down a pound. I'll take it. It wasn't a perfect week and stress got in the way of a couple of days, but didn't bring me down. I'm going to need energy and strength to deal with a pre-teen boy! OK, and lots of prayer. :) So it's not a matter of if I walk, but when each day.

Can't wait to hear how everyone's week is going!

linJber
09-12-2011, 09:22 PM
I hope you have an even better loss on WI day. I weigh every day but only log in or change my ticker on Wednesday. Never had to deal with a pre-teen boy (at least not since I was a pre-teen girl!) so I feel for you. Hope all goes well.

I've been pretty focused this week, so the days of greatness continue. My high school class is having a 60th birthday party on Saturday. Not that anyone will remember my weight from the last reunion (7 years ago.) I just want to be closer to my HS weight when I go. I'm about 20 pounds heavier than I was at 18 - but that doesn't seem so bad anymore!

Lin

Curvaliscious
09-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Haven't forgotten about my Day of Greatness attitude. I'm just not so great about writing on here every day. I lost 3 pnds this last week after adding exercise and even eating a bit more food! Already making a plan for tomorrow's day of greatness!

How is everyone doing?

April Snow
09-18-2011, 02:35 PM
great job Curvalicious!!

I have been amazed to see what a change really focusing on exercise does. I haven't changed my eating at all (was staying on my plan already) but since Sept 1, I have been exercising for at least 20 minutes a day every day, and it's usually 30+. And since Sept 1, I have lost 9 lbs. Crazy!!! But I think not a coincidence!!

linJber
09-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Great job. BTW - I love that this week of greatness began 13 days ago - LOL Let's keep it as a never ending week, or simply a symbol of the baby steps you put in the title of your thread.

I had a day of greatness yesterday, too. It was my HS class's 60th birthday party. There was soooo much food. But I was able to enjoy the company of friends from the past and eat like a thin person with no real difficulty. I don't see many of these people since I've lived 120 miles away from where I grew up since shortly after we graduated. Only 1 or 2 of them realized I'd lost a lot of weight. But the best part was that no one seemed to have difficulty recognizing me. If I hadn't lost the weight, I would have been the largest woman there, by far. That hit home in a big way and made it all the easier to stay away from the snack table. But I do have to say, the jalapeno popper cheese dip that Mary Lee made called my name more than once and I answered! It was very good!

Hope everyone has another day or week of greatness. I love this thread!

Lin

Curvaliscious
09-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Ha! Well, the point was for me to think using smaller goals. So I will continue my days and weeks of greatness and I"ll try and check in more regularly!

Lin, that's great that you did so well are your reunion! Even better than some recognized you and your great accomplishment! I saw a recipe for that jalapeno popper cheese dip. Yum!

April, that's awesome! I'm planning on walking around the neighborhood tomorrow. Can't wait!

linJber
09-19-2011, 11:16 PM
April - great job on adding regular exercise. I find that it is easier to stay on plan if I exercise. Maybe you just don't want to "blow" the physical exertion by eating poorly.

Curve - (hope you don't mind the shortening of your name) I do very well with small goals, too. While I am a believer in jumping in with both feet, I think short term goals that are able to be achieved work best for long term results.

Hope tomorrow is great for everyone.

Lin

linJber
09-28-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm bumping this up to the top again in case anyone needs a week of greatness right now. I'm always up for a day or week of greatness, so I didn't want to lose this thread completely.

Curve - I know you have been under the weather. Hope you're feeling better by now.

Lin

Curvaliscious
09-29-2011, 12:59 AM
Thanks! Still not feeling great, but trying to plan ahead on my eating. Not being super consistent though. Hoping I perk up tomorrow.

How is everyone else doing? :)

April Snow
09-29-2011, 07:26 AM
just two days left to finish my 30/30 month of exercise. It's been hard and definitely a few days where I wanted to say forget it, but once I got to about 15 days or so, I didn't want to stop after accomplishing so much. So now I've got to finish strong - although I am trying to convince myself that it will be ok if I don't work out every day until the end of the year! lol! I mean, I could, but I don't want to put THAT much pressure on myself.

However, I think I will probably keep going until I hit Onederland because I do not want anything to stop my progress right now! So I'll be going for however many additional days of greatness that takes.

linJber
09-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Curve - hope today is better.

April - I know what you mean. Getting to Onderland is a big deal. There are so many things that happen at that point. It seems like 199 is so much less than 201 because of the "1" in front. I think we start to think of ourselves as "chubby" instead of "fat" at that point, regardless of our height. It is a huge psychological boost. Exercise every day is great, but the world doesn't end if we skip a day every once in a while.

Here's to one more day of greatness.

Lin

April Snow
09-29-2011, 08:10 AM
yes, I think there really is going to be something magical about a weight starting with a 1. I have clothes in my closet that don't fit yet. I have no conscious memory of being below 200 even though I guess I must have been for that clothing to fit.

Curvaliscious
09-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Magical for sure! I can't wait to start buying smaller clothing and wearing some of the things I have in my closet too.

Lin, thanks for bumping this post by the way...I needed a Day of Greatness reminder. Today I felt good enough to walk and did so for 40min. I could've probably gone longer, but I'm wondering if I should simply try for faster next time? Something to ask on the exercise boards maybe. My wedding ring is starting to slide about on my finger and I feel/look thinner on my chin. I have to focus on those small things! Anyway...GREAT day today!!

linJber
10-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Well, our week of greatness has almost turned into a month of greatness! I'm trying to stay focused on eating what I know I should without obsessing about every meal.

Saturday was the 5K that a group from my gym participated in. I walked the whole way, but it was fun. One day of greatness in October.

Yesterday one of my young fiends and her family had a birthday party for their 3 youngest kids - the 3 birthdays are just a few days apart. It was a "cowboy party" and we had cowboy food! The party was fun - we wore kerchiefs and cowboy hats and called each other "pardner" and said "yippee" and "yeehaw" a lot. The chili and baked beans were great! There was salad, too, so I was sure to eat that first to fill up a little. And there was baked chicken and the best mac and cheese.

I took it easy at lunch because I knew I'd have lots of choices at supper. It is definitely getting easier to make the right choices. I never wanted to follow a diet plan because I hate being told what I can or can't do and that's how I'd see it, so I just opted to eat fewer calories and cut out the stuff that's bad. I think 9 months of that really helped make the right "cowboy" choices!

So October has started out with 2 days of greatness. Hope everyone else had a great weekend.

Lin

linJber
11-03-2011, 07:31 AM
OK - let's get back to a week (or a day or hour or 5 minutes) at a time. I liked this thread because it allows us to realize that the rest of our lives is really just a whole string of small chunks of time.

I'm trying for a day of greatness today. That means on plan eating, lots of water, some exercise, and a great attitude all around. Attitude first, then the rest will follow. And maybe the living room will get straightened up in the process!

Lin

cathi888
11-03-2011, 08:49 AM
I am also going to start following this plan again. I started well, then the surgery, then the vacation. I have my first 5k in a week and a half, Physically my goal is complete it in under an hour. I run/walk every other day and feel I can do this. Last night I completed it in 52 minutes, but know the actual race will be a different route than I am used to.

Today, I can have one day of greatness. I need to stay from the extra food.

linJber
11-03-2011, 07:52 PM
You can do the race in under an hour, I'm sure, Cathi! I don't run AT ALL and I walked a 3K a month ago with a group from my gym in about 50 minutes. It might be a different route than what you're used to, but you will be in "competition mode."

Let's all just be great today in some way - even if today is the day the best we can do is a great attitude.

Lin

April Snow
11-18-2011, 11:14 AM
My week started yesterday - one day of greatness down!

runningfromfat
11-18-2011, 11:34 AM
I need to do this too. It's been a rough month. I haven't been horribly off-plan but we've been eating out more than normal. I haven't lost anything this month so far (and TOM is right around the corner so i doubt it's going to happen either) but I have lost some inches, so that's good at least. I really need to just work on being on-plan 100% so here's to a week of greatness. :D

linJber
11-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Hey, everybody1 I missed this thread! I had a weekend that was far from greatness, but it was fun! LOL. I had company for the weekend. My cousin's son goes to college about 15 miles from me and she came up to see him swim and then spent the weekend with me. We spent lots of time together in our younger days when we had more time to spend! Kids get in the way of some of that, but now they are all pretty much on their own and we plan to do this more often. We went shopping and found a couple yarn stores about 50 miles from here and went to lunch and to supper and sat around and talked. As much fun as we could have! So I've been eating like I did when I was trying to lose for the last few days. By my new rule, I'm not supposed to weigh in until the first Wednesday in December, but I think I won't be able to skip the scale next Wednesday to close out the Thanksgiving challenge. We'll see if going way off plan for a couple days followed by getting pretty strict for a couple days works for maintaining.

Let's keep our "week" going through the holidays. I do WAY better if I feel like I'm answering to someone.

Lin

Riesz
11-19-2011, 10:45 PM
I definitely need to kick myself in the rear and push for one solid week on-plan with healthy eating, exercise, and no treats.

I started losing weight in an ideal situation, with plenty of free time and in control of everything I ate. Fast forward to this summer, when I moved in with my muscular boyfriend. He eats like a horse and brings home "treats" several times a week: sandwiches loaded with cheese and thick (oh so delicious :() bread plus potato or pasta salad, chocolate milk and candy bars, alcohol every so often. He's tall and muscular and can afford to eat piles of food and have a treat every so often but I cannot! At least not like I've been allowing myself to indulge. :(

I have to put my foot down and just say no this week so I can get back on track. I feel myself slipping and becoming addicted to flavored drinks and sugar again. I'm disappointed I missed my Sept goal and if this bad behavior keeps up, I'll miss my New Years goal too.

I can do this!

linJber
11-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Good job in keeping things in perspective, Riesz. At least you know what you need to do! So many times we don't. You've accomplished so much. Just keep the end goal in sight and you'll do fine. It certainly is a lot harder when the routine gets changed up.

Here's to one week! We should be able to do anything for one week, right? then we can choose another week, or day, or hour.

Lin

runningfromfat
11-20-2011, 06:21 AM
Ok, I need to restart my week of greatness today, ugh! DH picked up cookies at the store yesterday and I had too many last night. :( At least I got a ton of walking in yesterday and an hour long swim so I think it's probably a wash but I'm still annoyed with myself. We talked about it and agreed NO MORE COOKIES. He's been going through a rough time and has started turning to food more again but he wants to lose weight too so we're trying to work on that because it affects both of us.

April Snow
11-20-2011, 11:28 AM
I got in a couple more days of greatness and in the 3 days since I've been back on plan, I've managed to knock off 5.2 of the 10.2 I gained!

I have a couple of super stressful days coming up but hoping to get back to daily workouts after that so I can finishing kicking that 5 lbs to the curb and then get started back in with forward progress!

Riesz
11-21-2011, 12:08 AM
I did alright over the weekend, which is usually very difficult to stay on-plan since I eat every meal with my boyfriend and he often wants to go out.

My only splurges were having a bit of maple syrup on homemade whole wheat pancakes, having breakfast out yesterday and eating a small portion of fried potatoes, and having a large soft pretzel while out at the farmers' market.

Overall, not too bad I think. Did plenty of walking on Saturday but today was sorta a lazy Sunday. Gonna get back out walking 3-4 miles tomorrow! :)

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Major goals this week:
-Walking 3-4 miles for at least 5 days
-Drinking plenty of water daily
-Eating a salad everyday, even if just a small one
-Drinking a cup of tea everyday, preferably green
-No candy or sugar substitutes (partially because I have a sneaking suspicion the substitutes are causing headaches and want to see if avoiding them causes improvement!)

If I can learn to eat responsibly again, I'll start planning treats into my diet occasionally but right now I need to break the cravings cold turkey so hopefully this strict week helps!

runningfromfat
11-21-2011, 05:28 AM
Riesz and April- congrats on getting in a few good days under your belts! :carrot:

Yesterday was a really good day. Got in a workout and my eating was spot on too. Here's hoping I can keep it up all week. :D

April Snow
11-21-2011, 07:56 AM
I had a slip yesterday and ate a bagel (not so awful in itself but not allowed on my plan). Unfortunately, I was in a situation where due to timing and location, I had to eat something and that was the best option out of what was available. But I shouldn't be having any other situations like that any time soon so I know I will bounce back. In terms of pure calories, I was very low for the day anyway, so hopefully it won't have a lasting impact although there was a temporary spike upwards on the scale. But I think that it will be gone in a day or two.