Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 355/355/180

Height: 5'6

Talking First steps are always the hardest...

Hello, Everyone!

My name is Katrina. I'm a 23 year old from Pennsylvania. I'm not going to lie- this isn't the first weight loss forum I've joined, but I'm really hoping this will be the first one that I can stick to and utalize the support available from such wonderful people on a similar journey. Quitting (the one thing I seem to be best at) is no longer an option for me.

I've been overweight my entire life. For as long as I can remember I've TRIED to lose weight, to get healthier, to exercise regulary...but I've never been able to stick to anything. I thought I was finally making some progress about a year ago. I was eating better, more active, and had managed to slow my weight down to around 270 pounds. Then a very stressful final year at college happened. And now, a year later I'm at my heaviest weight ever...355 pounds.

I want to say that I have no idea how thigns got so out of control, but of course I do. I've been eating anything I wanted and have stopped even pretending to be active. Now, my body is finally starting to feel the effects of all this extra weight. At only 23 I have back pain, swollen legs, and depression that seems to increase with my weight. It's now difficult to fit in chairs and even the "bigger" close I bought to fit me after my weight gain have become too small.

I really need help. I've always dreamed that one day I would be a healthy weight. That the dirty looks and nasty comments I get from people about my weight would be a thing of the past. Now, I physically cannot wait any longer. This isn't just about me wanting to look better- now my health is on the line.

So, yeah. That's pretty much my story. Thanks for reading. =)
BetterByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 187/134/130

Hi Katrina, and welcome!

YOU CAN DO THIS!

First, set goals. If you weigh 355 now then set a goal to lose the 55 within 6 months. And be proud of yourself when you get there. Then set another goal and continue.

As you likely know, proper dieting and exercise are keys to losing weight. This means that you will need a solid diet & exercise plan and will need to stick to it.

Remove as much sugar from your diet as possible. If you drink a lot of soda then simply stop that and substitute healthier drinks such as water and natural fruit & vegetable juices, and a moderate amount of black coffee or tea. Switch to whole grain, gluten free breads. Cut nighttime snacking - no snacks for 2-1/2 to 3 hours before bedtime. Eat healthy for breakfast.

Begin your exercise program with moderate walking, either on a treadmill or in your neighborhood or wherever you can. If you can join a gym and spend 15-25 minutes per day 3-5 days per week there to start on an elliptical machine or treadmill or both then so much the better.

Above all, don't get discouraged and stop because it seems not to be working. Healthy weight loss takes time but you will see long lasting results and feel good about yourself.

Please do keep us posted on your progress!

Last edited by IDontKnow; 09-05-2011 at 02:03 PM.
IDontKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 330 / 320 / 175

Height: 5'11

Hi Katrina!! I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm 25 now and have been living better for like a month and a half. I, too, quit the weight loss journey numerous times. I also have similar goals to you.

This is what has worked for me:
~ I have joined Weight Watchers. I found this helped give me the tools I needed (and the weekly weigh in makes you more accountable). However, I don't follow this program as closely anymore.
~ I am a big bread person, so I changed white bread to whole wheat.
~ I cut down on fatty foods and such, but to me, nothing is completely off-limits. If I want chocolate, I have it, just in moderation.
~ I try to walk 3-4 times a week, and if I can't do that, I try simple things like walking to and from work (about 20 minutes each way).
~ Also, don't try to give up too much at once. I made small changes by the week. Week 1 was to control portion sizes better and walk 3 for at least 3 days a week. I tried the gym and I don't feel like I'm completely ready for it yet.

Also, if you need support, we're all here to help you!! That was a big thing for me. There will be slip up's but even after a bad meal, day or week, there's always the next one to improve upon.
Crazy Newfie Jen is offline   Reply With Quote