Simply Filling/Core - Weekly chat Sept 5th-12th

View Full Version : Weekly chat Sept 5th-12th

jojo23
09-05-2011, 02:45 AM
Oh Nancy... what do you do? I know people like that family, sometimes it is impossible to say no because they are like water on a stone and you find yourself in situations wondering how the heck you got there. If they had any compassion in their bodies they would be urging the boys to gather around you for this year. Dreadful people.

pam920
09-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Morning chicks. Thanks for the new pages jojo.

Nancy, your boys need to be with you this Christmas. End of story.

I've been working on a vintage train case. A lady wants me to revamp one for her daughters wedding. I didn't snack quite as often, that's a good thing.

I have a busy week planned. Dentist cleaning on Tues, cardio dr. on Wed, hair color/wax/nails on Sat. Then we leave for Vegas on Sunday. We are staying in Nashville on Sat, and leaving our car at the hotel and getting shuttled to airport.

I am right back where I started with my weight. Exercise is the key. Just hate doing it.

Happy Labor Day!!! We have rain and it cooled down, so I'm happy.

Tejas
09-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the pages, Jojo.

My goodness, Nancy, what a passive agressive bunch of people. If your kids go on the trip, then you should just come here and Sandra and I will treat you to a Cowgirl Christmas!

I've put on 5 pounds in about a day! But, I ate salad last night and sent people home with the left over bar-b-que :lol:

It is about 65F and wonderful. The birds are so happy, and so are we.

We were one day short of tying the record for consecutive days over 100F, but we set a record for highest average temperature, I'm told.

Back later, have a great day.

beach bum
09-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Good Morning Ladies:)

Going to be quite day for me,but I'm going to take advantage of the beach now that lots of people are leaving today and we finally got our beaches back again. Can't believe how this summer season passed with out a blink of an eye.

We went to see The Guard and gave it a 10 but I don't recommend if you can't stand the language.My sister gave it a 8 and her DH a 10+++++. To me the story line was funny.Its supposed to be a [fish out of the water] comedy.

JOJO-Thanks for the new pages.I agree with you what you told Nancy I think that is horrible,what going on.

PAM-Have a wonderful time a Las Vegas.I never been there,but than again I don't gamble. I know there are shows to see for the non gamblers.
You'll get back to exercising again, just walk that's activity that even seniors like us can do.

RHONDA-I went out with my friend Mary after the movie to the 99 and i had sirloin tips & chicken tender combo with a total of calories 1400 in one sitting up 2 lb myself,but I'm expecting it to go down again with my lite eating and walking for the next couple of days.

Have to go,and get down to the beach to get my walking done.

ontarget
09-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Good morning. We slept in this morning. Long story short--we had taken Tylenol PM due to a situation we were sort of spectators/sort of sideline participants in last night. I wanted sugar. My gf wanted a cigarette. Rhonda, this is something you'd find interesting, but it's something I'd best not post on the www. If any of you would like to know, send me a PM and I'll vent to you. Caution: it'll be a long vent.

That said (or almost said) my weight has stayed the same this week. :woohoo: Sometimes that's as good as it gets, and at TOPS it's called "turtling." (sp?) Next Monday evening our OA meetings begin at our local church. I have lemon/pepper chicken roasting for lunch and am back on track. I did manage to stay out of the sugar, so I'm still sf since June 2010.

Nancy, your kids do need to be with you.

JoJo, thank you for the new pages. Guess I should have said this before I got caught up typing.

Rhonda, I know you had fun and are ready to be back to your normal routine. I'll wager everyone was impressed with your bod. Way to go, girl!!

Maryann, I'll have to check out that movie. Thank you for telling us about it.

Got to go finish making lunch. Ya'll have a MARVELOUSLY MAGNIFICANT MONDAY!!!

Vickie
09-05-2011, 01:19 PM
I want to know!!!!

I'm off to bathroom shop.

nancy237
09-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the support. I was doing so great and had a nice weekend with company but this thing about both my boys being gone at Christmas has thrown me into a terrible spiral down. I have been crying since yesterday. I can't breathe thinking about my first Christmas without Robin or my boys. I wish I could just be brave and tell them to go & have fun.

I am so full of hate right now at their dad & grandparents for pushing for this..
It seems heartless & mean.. We have worked for a good relationship and did a great job cooparenting and I was able to forgive the stuff that caused the divorce. But this makes me want to scratch their eyeballs out...

It is worse that they told me they weren't going so I have counted on that. If they aren't here I just want to travel by myself the whole holiday and pretend it isn't Christmas. Then that leaves my poor Grandson and step daughter here with no one to help them thru.

ontarget
09-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Nancy, I am so sorry.

Vickie
09-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Nancy, the boys should be ashamed of themselves and so should their Dad and Grandparents. NO way should they be gone the first Christmas.

nancy237
09-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Having been a single parent and coped with shared holidays, I thought I could
manage to get through it but part of what I am grieving is my empty nest, so that is making the possibility of them being gone seem so much worse.
Not much I can do but wait til they decide and figure out how to get thru it.
Maybe I will just rent a beach house for a few weeks.

Vickie
09-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Do they know how hard this is going to be on you? Maybe you should not be brave and tell them. Maybe the would be happy to say no if they could say that you need them. Maybe they think you want to be alone?

nancy237
09-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Do they know how hard this is going to be on you? Maybe you should not be brave and tell them. Maybe the would be happy to say no if they could say that you need them. Maybe they think you want to be alone?

There dad pressured me constantly during Robin's illness and the week after he died for my agreement to the trip . I just kept telling him it was selfish to even consider. Both boys told them they didn't want to go. The trip plan was dropped until yesterday and now the boys have been told the tickets are bought and that grandpa isn't feeling well and it could be his last trip. My son said being in the middle makes him want to not come home at all. I always swore I wouldn't do that to my kids by making them feel guilty about holiday choices. It makes me want to take the high road and tell them to go & enjoy.

ps..sorry to get into all this..it surprised me for it to come up again..I will figure some way to handle it if they go.

Tejas
09-05-2011, 11:23 PM
THAT does it, Nancy. We're all coming to your place for Christmas! ;-)

nancy237
09-05-2011, 11:56 PM
THAT does it, Nancy. We're all coming to your place for Christmas! ;-)

hahaha...you girls are the best.
It feels good just to have you on my side about this.
I talked to my younger son tonight and he said he isn't going.
I lowered myself to badmouthing his dad & grandparents. I vented big
time !!
I hate that I did that because I have gotten through 14 years of coparenting without doing that (despite plenty of material!)
I texted him and told him I was sorry, just upset & he said he understood.

I looked through pictures from last year and this year after Robin died.
I do so much better when people are in this house. I was doing fairly well this summer with my son home & grandson over a lot. I will have to do more inviting ..

I have really hogged this thread today..while I am at it - about my eating.
I have gone very low carb today and plan to stick with it. It curbs my appetite . If I haven't lost after a week of low carb I think I am going to go to WW meetings. Tomorrow is my first day at the new gym . I have a pesonal trainer session at 10:30.
Night and thanks for letting me share !!!

jojo23
09-06-2011, 02:04 AM
I couldn't possibly tell you all where my my husband said Nancy's boys should have told their father to stick the tickets. All I will say, is that the doctor would need to wear gloves to remove them:D

We reckon that if we start hitching now, we could get to the U.S by Christmas eve, if one of you would pick us up at the coast. You can't miss us. Two, slightly rounded ( and a bit damp from the swim) seniors with a black lab on a piece of string. What a Christmas we would all have eh?

My in laws, live in the same city as us, but never set eyes on our daughter, even before she was diagnosed at age 3. They sent us a letter some years ago saying that we were never to tell anyone that she was a member of their family because it would stop people marying into the family. That cut deeper than any knife. But I'll tell you something Nancy, they have missed out on far more than we have and we have had a much better life than they. So I firmly believe that what goes around comes around.

Vickie
09-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Nancy, I'm glad you vented to your Son. I'm sure he understands now how upset you are, especially since you've never ever done it before where his Dad and Grandparents are concerned. I hope he sticks to his word. I also thought about a cruise. My GF and her husband go on a cruise every year at Christmas because they want to flee their crazy families. Maybe if the boys go you could consider a cruise. Even if you went alone, you could be as surrounded as you want by people.

JoJo.....I gasped out loud when I read your message. Some people are just morons. Sadly, we all have them in our families. I'm sorry they were so shallow.

Not talking about my eating. It's pretty atrocious. Meeting my Sister and BIL today for a meal at an Irish place and a walk through the tile shop to be sure the glass decorative tile I found yesterday is the best one. Can't stop shopping too soon, you know!;) I found a pretty true beige and brown one yesterday. It's been hard to find tile and decorative glass with no yellow or carmel or bronze in it. My Sister is an art major and my decorative sounding board. We'll have to order it online if we go with it and drive 30 miles to pick it up tomorrow as it's discontinued and the local store doesn't have it. For the savings, Jim says he doesn't mind. Also have pool/deck demo finishing up Wednesday through Friday. Ugh.

Light and Love.

pam920
09-06-2011, 09:46 AM
this site keeps crashing my computer. Only this site.

Nancy, your ex-inlaws are very insensitive. Your sons said no, and they should honor that.

jojo, as a grandparent, I can't even imagine. What is wrong with people?

ok, i'm gonna post this quick, before I crash again.

beach bum
09-06-2011, 10:30 AM

We have another power outage going on the Cape. The reason salt from the storm are on the electrical equipment and causing the blackout. They say that the heavy rains that we are getting this morning will help wash off the salt.

I had 3 annoying phone calls from a political party that I zapped but they started calling around 8 AM. I called my phone company and they told me that that change there #'s as fast as changing underwear that I can't keep up with them to put me on the stop calling list.

Other than that we are ok up here.

SANDRA-MAINTAINING is good, you'll lose next week. You're welcome,I like going to the movies and see a good movie,unfortunately only one friend of mine like to see movies also. The others are not movie buffs.

NANCY-I'm sorry, that your going thought this.Do you have any other relative to spend holiday with???My DD was going to the Bahama when Hurricane Irene show up,so she deciding to take a trip either Thanksgiving or Christmas so my sister told me to come to her,and that's what I'm attending to do,either or which holiday.I agree with the rest of the girls.

Have to get going have a great day

nancy237
09-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks everyone.

Just a shock Sunday night & yesterday that sent me backwards a bit.
I will just wait to see what they decide and I think I would prefer to not be here at all if they go. Lots of friends here, but except for my step daugher & family other family live elsewhere. Cousin lives here too, but I don't want to be here at the house unless the boys are home.

JoJo..I can't beleive your inlaws could be that heartless. You are right that they missed a great blessing. That would be hard to forgive. Laughing at the thought of you 2 swimming over :swim:

Maryann, sounds like bad weather there. I wish you lived closer..I love the movies.

My knee is giving out..its strange because it feels fine except when it gives.
I canceled the personal trainer this am and told her what was going on. I will probably go get it looked at. I feel 80 right now..

ontarget
09-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Nancy and JoJo, I feel so sad for you both. Some people are definitely heartless and stupid.

I weighed this morning and was down 2 pounds. I'm going to change my signature even though this was a Tuesday wi instead of Monday. But then I weighed on Sunday last week instead of Monday. What's up with me?

Those fires you're seeing on TV are about 150 or so miles from us and over 200 from Rhonda. Last I heard yesterday over 500 homes had been destroyed. Sad.

Rhonda, I'm glad you and Doyle aren't near them.

Maryann, I have my bff and I sometimes go to movies. She's teaching at a local junior college now and doesn't have as much time as before. We did see "Apes" together, though.

Pam, my new computer won't let me get into our bank account. I'm having to use the old duct taped computer to do banking. What's up with all this?

Have a Terrific Tuesday, Chickies. I'll catch ya later. I'll be gone most of the afternoon getting hair/nails/brows beautified. Life is good.

Vickie
09-06-2011, 12:45 PM
GREAT job, Sandra!!!! I'm SOOOO proud of you.

I'm scared to get on the scale. And.....I'm starving. NOT good.

Tejas
09-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Well, I gained 3 pounds over the food fest weekend. But, I think it will go quickly. If it doesn't, I'll fess up on the ticker. The last of my company went home this morning, and I'm looking forward to less activity. But, I LOVED having them here.

I'm just shaking my head over the family stories of mean spirited behavior from some people. But, we agree, THEY are the ones who lost out.

ontarget
09-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Vickie, I got the idea of "virgin weight" from you. I like that.

Rhonda, I agree.

pam920
09-06-2011, 05:08 PM
back from dentist. She wants me to get a note from my cardio dr. or have him give me antibiotics for my mitral tricuspid regurgitation. I don't think they even do that anymore, and I think I only need them for a colonoscopy. My dr said a dirty procedure, but dentist says there is bacteria with teeth cleaning and she considers that a dirty procedure. I see Dr. tomorrow and back to dentist on Friday.

jojo, grandchildren are such a blessing and your inlaws missed out. How heartless and cold for them to shun your daughter. Shame on them.

Nancy, sounds like your son said he wasn't going, so maybe you will be home with him. It will be hard for you and having your kids there for comfort will make it a bit easier. How dare they not take into consideration how YOU are feeling this holiday season. My gosh, you just lost your husband.

Haven't heard about the fires but glad you gals are safe. It's freezing here. Only 59 degrees and was 100 a few days ago.

Maryann, I got a lot of calls when I first got my number in Florida. They have a sneaky way of getting around the DO NOT CALL. They would ask for someone, I say you have the wrong number and they continue with....oh, I'm sorry, but while I have you on the phone, is there anyone in your household that...... I just hang up on them.

Vickie, are you eating enough? Sometimes we diet and don't get enough protein or whatever, and stay hungry.

Tejas
09-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Pam, your dentist is right. I know this because I was a dental hygienist in my younger days. In addition a close friend of mine got bacterial endocarditis from dental work last year and almost died when the valve problem flared up. The human mouth, even a clean one, is dirty. Sorry. :lol:

erialicia2000
09-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Hello there.

can I join your group? My name is Carolyn and I need/want to lose 80 lbs. I am going to do the "core" plan because it seems the most healthiest way to eat and I am eliminating all packaged, refined foods and trying to eat as whole foods as I can.

Have any of you lost more than 50 pounds on Core? I hope to eat this way the rest of my life!

ontarget
09-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Pam, Curtis and I both have to take antibiotics when we have dental work. Be safe, my friend. I have a friend who had a stroke due to a leaking heart valve and no antiobiotics before a dental procedure.

:welcome2: Carolyn. We are very glad to have you join us. Right now I'm doing a modified CORE. You're going to enjoy your healthy lifestyle it affords. Vickie has lost over 50 pounds with CORE. She has posted a lot of wonderful recipes here. You might want to check them out.

Tejas
09-06-2011, 09:26 PM
:welcome3: Carolyn.

I have lost over the last decade about 40 pounds eating mostly in a Core way. In 2000, I weighed 220 pounds, now 180.

I also have been attempting to get rid of as much of the processed stuff as I can and still not spend all the time in the kitchen. I have also been cutting my carbs down to about 100-150 grams a day. It's not easy, but I actually feel better.

Good luck, join us and jump in. We're a very supportive group.

nancy237
09-07-2011, 12:21 AM
Carolyn
:welcome::welcome::welcome:

This is a great group.

I have struggled with getting serious about my eating so maybe this will be the fall I succeed. I like your plan and agree it seems healthy..

I went to see the Ape movie tonight...need to get lots done tomorrow.

jojo23
09-07-2011, 04:46 AM
Welcome erialicia2000. Pleased to meet you. I have given up on fad diets and am concentrating on eating 3 healthy meals a day and having a gentle loss. Slow but sure is my watchword now. I have a heck of a lot to lose but once its off it will stay off.

Pam Without wishing to put the wind up anyone we were taught as nurses that the mouth holds bacteria which can cause heart problems.

pam920
09-07-2011, 08:44 AM
Morning chicks.

:wel3fc: Carolyn. Core is a great program to follow. I lost about 40 lbs doing it.

I read online that they don't give the antibiotics anymore, at the Mayo Clinic site, but I will see my cardio dr. today and ask him. I'm glad my dentist was able to fit me in on Friday.

It's still much cooler here. 59 on my desktop. I just got up and need my coffee. My brain is not functioning right now.

beach bum
09-07-2011, 10:25 AM

Still spritzing on the Cape so I guess I will be doing my walking tapes indoors today. Going to be a quite day again,but next week should pick up as my walking group starts again next Tuesday and the choir rehearsals should be beginning shortly again also.Along with my other activities,that should keep me out of mischief.Other wise nothing new.

NANCY- Yeah:yes: we had heavy down pours all day long yesterday. I had to go to the bank but than I stayed home a watched TV.Thanks, that would be fun,but I'm lucky I have one movie buff like me to see my weekly movies.

SANDRA-Sorry:sorry: your lost your movie buddy, I was not always a movie goer,when I was living down in NY I only went once I while. Congrats on your 2 pound loss.

VICKIE-Don't be afraid:fr: of the scale,its only a object. You might of shrunk in inches.

RHONDA-Sorry:sorry: your gained ,that's the spirit you will lose it again. Family activities are a part of life,and you can't say because of a scale.

PAM- This morning again at 8 & 8:30 I got a political call again,I hate:devil: being woken up with these calls. I sometimes have a bad night and I like to sleep in a little longer in the morning. I hang up on them but they don't get the hint.:tantrum:

CAROLYN-:welcome2: to the board. I not following WW but I count calories and carbs and eat in portion sizes.It took me a while to lost weight as i had to figure out what calorie count I needed. I'm now on a 1200-1400 range.

Have to go,have a great day

Vickie
09-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Good Morning Chicks!

Welcome, Carolyn! As Sandra said, I've lost 50 and I'm currently resting on my laurels though I should be. I'm doing Simply Filling eating all Core foods if possible. I'm about to get my butt back to meetings as I've been forced to admit yet again that I cannot do it alone. I've 100 pounds left to lose.

I got on the scale today. I felt fatter but I wasn't. I'm still up 6 pounds from my lowest weight but I was scared that I'd gained more. Now to try not to stress eat anymore through these projects.

I'm cooking my Core Chicken Cacciatorre today. First I have to go buy the stuff!

Have a great day. Pool and deck demo tomorrow!

Tejas
09-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Pam, physicians are prescribing them in fewer situations and not on patient demand. But, bacteria from the mouth can cause bacterial endocarditis of the heart IF it gets into the bloodstream. During dental procedures there is danger of this happening. Most people are never affected, but IF you already have a valve problem, then there is a risk. I'll go read the Mayo site.

More family coming tonight....a different family, from my mother's twin sister. I'm serving a Tex-Mex casserole.

Tejas
09-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Pam, from Mayo site. Antibiotics are not given for all dental procedures, but if the gums or teeth are cut, then they may be given.

If you having your teeth cleaned, then you are at risk of having the gums cut.
Forgive me for going on about this, but, honestly, my friend almost died last year, had to have open heart surgery, valve replacement, etc....and this was all with good medical and dental care having been given.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/endocarditis/DS00409/DSECTION=prevention

ontarget
09-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Hi there, Chickies. It's a beautiful day. Curtis and I took a walk this morning. Then I drove the mower pulling a wagon while he shoveled some dirt here and there around the pasture. It was fun!

Maryann, my gf and I can still go to the movies--just not as often as we used to do. She teaches a couple days a week. If something is showing that we really want to see, we make the effort to go. If not, we don't.

Vickie, your chicken sounds delish!!

Rhonda, enjoy your company.

I think I'll close so I can read and nap. Curtis is already napping. Ahhhhh retirement.....

nancy237
09-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Speaking of the movies.

Our theater went up to $10 and popcorn and coke is $11.

I am going to our dollar theater & sneaking in a coke & microwave popcorn from now on:nono:

ontarget
09-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Nancy, sounds good to me.

nancy237
09-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Speaking of the movies.

Our theater went up to $10 and popcorn and coke is $11.

I am going to our dollar theater & sneaking in a coke & microwave popcorn from now on:nono:

Robin and I always prayed over our meals..One time we snuck a Chicken sandwich into a movie and prayed over it . We almost choked laughing at the irony of it all..

jojo23
09-08-2011, 03:15 AM
Morning chicks.

Oh dearie dearie me! Our neighbours had a sumptious meal all cooked and ready for one of their family as a birthday treat, but illness forced the lady and her hubby to cancel... we were asked if we could go to dinner at short notice.... well what do you do:D???? Oh it was lovely and it seemed so rude to just nibble at the good bits, and well you didn't want to waste any did you? I'm not expecting great things at the next WI :(.

ems81wales
09-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Hi everyone hope your all ok iv been busy with resits and uni work so havent had much time to myself.

Im not feeling to good atm iv had really bad pain with endimitriosis stuff and im not feeling good mentally everything seems to be getting to me latley and im sick of friends taking the p1 ss out of me i do so much for people and they throw it bk in my face by treating me bad.

Hope your all ok and sorry for the rant xxx

Vickie
09-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Good Morning Chicks! It's a nice Fall day here in Chicagoland. The pool/deck are coming down. We'll be left with a big hole until Spring but we really can't afford to re-landcape and remodel the master bath at the same time. We'll just have to keep Brodie out of that part of the yard.

Hope you are all well.

beach bum
09-08-2011, 10:37 AM

Another rain storm last night,but this time is was thundering, that woke me up.So this is the 3rd night that I haven't slept well.Might take a sleeping pill tonight in order to get a good night sleep.

Have to go grocery shopping for the staples,and after that I will get some exercising done.

VICKIE-See it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. You'll lose that 6 pounds in no time. I know its easy said than done,but you will & should be proud of yourself for losing all the weight previous lost.

SANDRA-Ok I guess I misunderstood. I Like going to the movies especially on the hot summer months we had.

NANCY-We have a pub theater where they have tables & captain chair and meals to order. Its expensive $7 for seniors and than if you buy the food or drinks it can add up,but we like the atmosphere.

Its getting dark over here and I like to get out before the real storm starts again,Have a great day

pam920
09-08-2011, 11:34 AM
I don't know what is going on with this site, but my computer starts getting loud, like the fan is running and I sometimes crash. Only on this site. Weird.

I'm gonna post this real quick and then try to respond to posts.

pam920
09-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Went to dr. yesterday. Blood work is good. He wants to to get my HDL up to 50. I just laughed at him. Never gonna happen. 48 is as high as I can get it. It was 44 with my last blood work. He agrees, it's my genes. Nothing I can do. I take Niaspan to help but still can't get it where it needs to be. Otherwise, a good visit. He said I do not need antibiotics. My valve problem is mild. Guess the dentist was being cautious. She said to bring a note back from dr. I told her if I needed the antibiotic, I would definitely take it, so I don't think a note is necessary. I'm not in grade school.

It's still cool and damp here. I think we might see the sun again tomorrow and get back to high 70's. I'm not complaining.

We leave on Saturday to start our trip to Vegas. I'm so ready to get away and have some fun.

Wow, ems, you are getting skinny. Good for you.

ontarget
09-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Hi there. I'm at school. Just dismissed my last 8th Grade American History class. I have a study hall coming in about 30 minutes.

Yesterday I was all prepared for a snack with the "bunch" after church. We had some emotional issues and were all exhausted by the time we left the church. Obviously, we didn't go out for snacks/chat. I actually saved some calories! I thought about snacking at home but decided to play Scrabble instead. :lol: Is this me?

Ems, I'd be ranting, too, if my friends were treating me that way. You go right ahead. We're here for you.

Pam, this is weird about your computer. Mine is still weird with my bank account. That's scarey!

JoJo, I love those last minute get togethers.

Vickie, how was your chicken last night? It's almost the 12th. We start our local OA meeting that night. I can't wait!!

Maryann, Rhonda, Paula, Nancy, :wave:

ems81wales
09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks pam hope u have a great time xxx

Cheers sandra hope your ok? xxxx

Tejas
09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
:wave: everyone. WORN OUT! Back tomorrow :lol:

Pam, the dentist is not intending to insult you. She might ask you to sign a waiver or something saying you've been told the risks and decided not to take the antibiotics. Dentists get sued just as MDs do.

Vickie
09-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Pam, the Dentist is worried about her liability if the Doctor is wrong. That's why she wants the note. We live in a litigious society. You might not sue if there is a problem but others might.

pam920
09-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I get it. I will sign a waiver if she wants. I know she is concerned. Just surprised she didn't ask the last time she cleaned them. My valves are mild and I forget to mention it half the time lol. I also read on Mayo Clinic site they no longer recommend the antibiotics and my cardio dr. told me the same thing. But, I'm glad the dentist at least asked about it.

I'm getting hungry.

ontarget
09-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Vickie, did you type that red message in your signature about updating?

Vickie
09-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Nope....3FC busted me I guess.

nancy237
09-08-2011, 09:04 PM
My son surprised me and came home for the weekend :carrot::carrot::carrot:

Tejas
09-08-2011, 11:37 PM
great news Nancy! :woohoo:

Pam, the Mayo site doesn't say they don't give antibiotics, but I'm glad you got your personal situation straightened out and no doubt all will be well for you.

Ems, good luck with your friends. It's tough sometimes when we're not feeling appreciated. But, just keep doing the right thing and you'll be happy with yourself.

I had a really good workout today. I LOVE being able to lift 55 pounds straight up over my head numerous times. I was playing with my 7 year old niece this past Saturday and I lifted her up over my head like she was a barbell and she was ecstatic :lol:

pam920
09-09-2011, 12:00 AM
This is copied from the Mayo Clinic site...... and my doctor also said the exact same thing to me yesterday. I know some people still take them and that is fine, but if it's not necessary for me to take them, I prefer not to. My dr. also said is definitely is necessary for some to take them, but my valve problem doesn't call for them.

Antibiotics seldom recommended
Doctors used to recommend that some people with mitral valve prolapse take antibiotics before certain dental or medical procedures to prevent endocarditis, but not anymore. According to the American Heart Association, antibiotics are no longer necessary in most cases for someone with mitral valve regurgitation or mitral valve prolapse.

Still, if you've been told to take antibiotics before any procedures in the past, check with your doctor whether that's still necessary.

Nancy, you sound like a happy camper. Enjoy your son this weekend.

Rhonda, I wish I had half your strength. I am in awe what you are able to do with those weights.

jojo23
09-09-2011, 03:39 AM
PAM I wish more people were like you. I did my general training 1969-1972. Back then, doctors were giving out antibiotics like sweeties (candy) We nurses all said that, soon there would be a bug that nothing would touch because we were all packed to the cork with antibiotics to which bugs would become resistant.

Antibiotics are fine in their place, and if you don't pop them willynilly, they have more effect to take when you absolutely have no choice but to take them. If your doctor doen't think they are necessary then end of.

Vickie
09-09-2011, 06:03 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I'm up in the middle of the night with belly ache/stress tummy. Enough said!

Hope you all have a great day. I'm looking for landscapers.

ems81wales
09-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks rhonda i hope things get better with friend situation but it is up to themto contact me now iv done everything on my part. HOPE YOUR WELL XXX

pam920
09-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Morning chicks.

Vickie, sorry about your tummy. Did you get food poisoning?

jojo, my grandsons have never had any antibiotics and they are 16 yrs old. When my daughter would take them to dr. and they suggested them, she would make them test to see if it was viral or bacterial. Every time it was viral, so she refused to give antibiotics to the boys. Back in the day, most dr.s over-prescribed them.

Suppose to warm up today and get back into the 80's next week. We are flying on Sunday. What was I thinking??

beach bum
09-09-2011, 09:45 AM

Its not a good day for me as I fell again and landed on my back and left ankle,and of course all my doctors are off on Friday. I guess I would have to visit them on the golf course. I'm wearing a lumbar back brace that once was Leo's. Hope it takes the strain off my back over this weekend so I can get to the doctors on Monday if the pain doesn't subside. So no exercising for me Hopefully I will be able to go to the movies with my movie buff friend.

Have to go,my back is getting stiff. I have to get up and walk around a little and can spend the day on the couch.

Have a nice day

Tejas
09-09-2011, 09:53 AM
So, the Mayo clinic says slightly different things at different places on its site.

Preventive antibiotics
Certain dental and medical procedures may allow bacteria to enter your bloodstream. Antibiotics taken before these procedures can help destroy or control the harmful bacteria that may lead to endocarditis.

Antibiotics are recommended only before the following procedures:

Certain dental procedures (those that cut your gum tissue or part of the teeth) (edit)

It goes on to say that random germs are as much a cause of endocarditis as germs from the mouth. But, as always, it is individual.

It's funny you know--drs overprescribed them, patients demanded them--both in response to massive advertising by big pharma.

Off to tap class, then to get 3rd acupuncture for knee. I think it's helping, but of course, resting it may be doing the trick.

Tejas
09-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Maryann...hope it all gets better soon. Are you having trouble with balance? If so, there are exercises for that which you could do after this episode settles down.

Tejas
09-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Oldest grandson is having minor surgery on his ear today. They call the anesthetic "goosey juice" :lol:

Vickie
09-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Good thoughts for your Grandson, Rhonda. Hope its not too serious.

ontarget
09-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Maryann, :hug:

Rhonda, I am wishing the best for your grandson.

Vickie, I hope you're not stressing over your yard too much. Is there a danger to your property if you don't get the hole filled soon?

Nancy, that's good about your son's coming home this weekend. What a blessing!

I am finished for the day except for a tiny little study hall that will be here shortly. It's a beautiful day.

Tejas
09-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Nancy, so glad to hear that your son came home.

Good luck with that huge hole in your yard Vickie.

Grandson is going to be OK. He has had a growth on his eardrum that was removed, came back, and had to be removed again. It's benign, but it will be a little more painful than the first time.

jojo23
09-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Oldest grandson is having minor surgery on his ear today. They call the anesthetic "goosey juice" :lol:

Things weren't so user friendly when I was on theatre duty. We had a teddy bear with a tube up his butt trickling the gas through. We used to ask the little one: 'Can you cuddle teddy please, he's a bit frightened and likes cuddles'
It worked everytime.:goodvibes

How are things now Maryann?

I'm glad your son is home for visit Nancy

nancy237
09-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Rhonda..I am so glad that the surgery went fine..That is amazing they can remove something off the eardrm like that. Tell him the "skinny chicks"
are all wishing him a speedy recovery.

Maryann...worried about you..thinking tomorrow you may be even more sore.
Should you go to an urgent care to get some pain relief meds?? Keep us posted. How did you fall. I am getting much more unsteady than I used to be.

Vickie..we are both up to our eyeballs with baths & landscaping and such aren't we..:dizzy: I have one bath totally ripped out and because I am getting help from friends & family it will take months to get it finished. Are you feeling better?

Ems..sounds like you are having a rough time with your friends & how you are feeling. Rant all you want ..we are good listeners. Hugs..

I had a nice evening with my son & step daughters family. Robin would be so proud that we are staying close. Had grandparents reading day today for my grandson. He was upset at first about not having grandpa this year but then he cheered up. I bought Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn for him and he liked that Tom was always up to mischief.

He got caught sending out invitations in class to watch him at recess jump off the monkey bars using his shirt as a parachute..Oh My..
That was before the book I got him so he didn't get the idea from Tom LOL..

Vickie
09-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Good Morning Chicks! You're right, I shouldn't fret about small stuff but it does seem big to me. I just need to find someone to get some dirt in there until spring. We'll leave the stones that were around the pool for now to keep the dog from running through it.

I'm taking the day off from worry and going to hang out with some good friends. They are making us steaks, baked potatoes, and asparagus on the grill. I made a dip for appetizer and made snowcap cookies for dessert. I'm going to try not to eat anything I brought!

Some time next week, I need to pick a meeting date/time.

What do you all have planned for your weekend?

Vickie
09-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Mary Ann, hope you're ok. I see you haven't posted yet today.

beach bum
09-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Didn't sleep last night trying to find a position that didn't hurt. Than finally I got some shut eye and got up at 9:30.

Going to take it easy over the weekend. Yes here in the Cape or lat least in my town all doctors like to take a 3 day weekend. If its really a Dior emergency they tell you to get to the ER. I once had a sly on my upper lid[eye doctor off] and had to go to the ER just to give me a antibiotic cream to put on it. Than I followed up with the doctor on Monday.

RHONDA-No I don't have any trouble with balance. I tripped before at the library parking lot over those parking car stops that I didn't see,and I landed on my both knees & hand. This time I slipped at the mail box that had some kind wet weed in between the cement block that supports the mailbox.

JOJO-Its getting better as I'm using a back brace and using hot/cold therapy on it.

NANCY-It was raining real hard and I went out to the supermarket for groceries and to get out of the house as I was getting cabin fever. Driving there,I had not problem but on the way home I got out of my car to the mailbox and I tripped on some moss or some greenery growing between the cement block that supports the mailboxes and slipped as my sneakers were wet. I first thought it was my ankle that was hurting but than as time went on my back start hurting also.
Have to go as I getting stiff sitting at the computer will get my back brace on and go to the couch to rest for the day.
Thanks again for your concern I really appreciate having cyber friends to talk to.

Got on the scale today and lost .5 lbs this week,changed my tickers.

nancy237
09-10-2011, 02:58 PM

I tripped before at the library parking lot over those parking car stops that I didn't see,and I landed on my both knees & hand.

That is exactly how I broke my foot in 2 places this June. They should paint them bright orange..

Hope the doctor says you didn't do anything too bad..Rest til you see him.

pam920
09-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi chicks.

Maryann, take care and be sure to see the dr on Monday. I'm glad you were able to get up and get inside.

Vickie, your cookout sounds perfect. Can I come with you?

Rhonda, good to hear your grandson is doing well. It amazes me too, what they can do now a days.

I got to see my great granddaughter today. She is staying the night with my daughter. She came to the salon with us. I got my hair colored and cut. Then wax and nails. I got the full treatment. Kayleigh got her nails, toes and hair done.

We are leaving in a few hours for Nashville, then on to Vegas in morning. My oldest daughter is going to meet up with us on Monday.

Take care everyone, and see you at the end of next weeks.

Vickie
09-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Hey Chicks! Sitting here waiting for the Gas company/Fire Department to come and check out our carbon monoxide level. It's registering 1 point below the alarm going off. Sigh. Now what?

Tejas
09-10-2011, 11:00 PM
whoa, Vickie. Good luck!

jojo23
09-11-2011, 03:26 AM
Hurricane Katrina is heading across the Atlantic. It will hit here late this evening. HOWEVER! By the time it gets to us, it will have lost its ferocity and as well as that, will only clip the top left hand corner of Britain, which are forecasted to get gales. The rest of us will get storms albeit with a bit of structural damage here and there, So what are the banner headlines in the broadsheet newspapers?...
... KILLER KATRINA TO HIT UK. I ask you!!!

Tejas
09-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Jojo...don't get killed!! :lol:

I just watched Yo Yo Ma playing at the 9-11 memorial in NYC. I so love his work and demeanor.

ontarget
09-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Vickie, what did you find out? I hope it was something wrong with the detector and you're not having carbon monoxide problems. That's scary!

JoJo, I haven't seen the news this weekend. Stay safe!

Nancy, your grandson sounds like a hoot.

Rhonda, glad your grandson is all right.

We worked most of the day Saturday at the church parsonage/and church. Curtis built a large cross a few days ago. Yesterday some of the men helped him erect it outside the church building. Several women and I worked inside the parsonage, painting, etc.... My job was the kitchen stove. It took me over 3 hours. Nuff said about that. :lol:

Today we'll go out for lunch after church. Our read through for the Christmas Play is 3-5. After that, I may go buy groceries as tomorrow is filled. I'm subbing in AG, going to our granddaughter's volleyball game then heading to our first OA meeting at our local church. I don't see getting home till about 8:30 tomorrow evening. Well, I will be dashing home to get Curtis to go to the v-ball game with me.

Am I retired? Today and tomorrow are reminding me what my schedule used to be like. The big difference is Tuesday I will stay home and sleep late. My plan is to sub 2 days a week--3 maximum. We'll see if I stick to that plan. :lol:

My eating has been a little off :dizzy:, but I'm not compulsively overeating.
:D
Have a Superb Sunday, Chickies.

Vickie
09-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks Chicks! We're ok. I should have come back here last night. LOVE Nicor. They came quickly and were here for at least a half hour checking everything. They even turned on my oven since I had baked the day before. Everything checked out ok. Jim is out at Menards now buying two co detectors. We had one but it was old. So we are replacing it plus buying another one for our living area.

I'm off to watch the 911 memorial.

ontarget
09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Vickie, I'm glad you're safe.

jojo23
09-12-2011, 03:45 AM
New pages up and running