Weight and Resistance Training - Lifting Weights

View Full Version : Lifting Weights

canadacatman
09-04-2011, 10:44 AM
I have been lifting weights for 2 weeks now 3 times a week. I currently do a full body weight training routine. It take me about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Would it be better for me to work a few muscles at a time.

I was thinking:
Chest&Back
Shoulders&Arms

I really do not do legs.
But I do it 3 times a week and I would do 2 twice and the other one only 1 time. Would that be okay.
I do not mind the full body workout just when I am done I hurt all over instead of just 2-3 muscles.

And how long should a weight workout last.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to do it correct.

Thanks

Lucky72
09-04-2011, 10:53 AM
What exercises are you doing for your legs? As much as you hate doing legs, those are your biggest muscle groups and you will reap the most benefits. I could offer more suggestions if I knew what kind of exercises and how many reps and what weights you are using.

canadacatman
09-04-2011, 11:42 AM
I do 3 sets of 12.
I have a york 2001 gym I use and I do some free weights.
I really do not know what the exercises are called but on this page http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html I do
Chest Dumbbell Exercises:Number 1 and 3
Shoulder Dumbbell Exercises: Number 1 and 2
Back Dumbbell Exercises: Number 2 and 3
Trapezius Dumbbell Exercises: Number 1 and 2
Biceps Dumbbell Exercises: Number 2 and 4
Triceps Dumbbell Exercises: Number 2 and 3

And I do about 10 exercise on my home gym.
I am new so I do not know what there really called so thought if I show you, you will understand. And I do 3 sets of 12 of every exercise I do with 30 seconds rest between sets and 1 minute in between changing the exercise.
Thanks and this is greatly appreciated.

Lucky72
09-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Okay - another (couple) question(s) - how much weight are you lifting? Are you lifting to fatigue? I.e. when you get to number 12 of a set is your body saying "I don't think I can do this."

For me an hour and 15 minutes would be long. I like to combine my exercises so that I am working a lot of stuff at the same time. My first workout when I started lifting was this one:

Walking lunges with weights (10lbs in each hand) - 20 x 3
Squats with weights (12 lbs in each hand) - 15 x 3
Chest fly on balance ball (i used 10 pounds in each hand but you can use less) 10 x 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzMuGbXg1NI - I found a youtube video - keep your bum tucked up when you are doing it!

Then these 3 x 10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4iAaN82tCc

Then push ups 3 x 10 ( I started from my knees - when I got to the point that I needed it to be more difficult I still did them on my knees but I used a upside down BOSU for my arms) Push ups are a great but under-appreciated exercise. They are great for the core and the shoulders!

And finally oblique seated twist with a medicine ball http://www.ehow.com/video_4938634_medicine-ball-core-exercises-seated.html

There are other exercises you could add in or do but try these and see how it goes.

The good thing about this kind of routine is a) you save time! and b) you work more efficiently. Every exercise works multiple muscle groups. You will be a sweaty mess by the end of this!

canadacatman
09-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I use enough weight that when I am done my last set of each I could not even do one more.

I will try to add some of these into it also. As far as push ups lol i am 345 pounds on my knees maybe but I doubt it but I will try for sure.

Any more suggestions what about protein after your done your weights is it true you need some with in 1 hour or so of working out.

Thanks

canadacatman
09-04-2011, 02:25 PM
I do a 15 minute medicine ball and exercise bike on my cardio days which is 2 times a week. I love and hate that little ball.

So one hour is too long really.

Thanks

canadacatman
09-04-2011, 08:10 PM
So whole body weights are better then you are saying.
Thanks

canadacatman
09-04-2011, 08:17 PM
This may be stupid but what is a woodchops and how do you do it with weights.

canadacatman
09-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Also my weight training days right now are like bit over 1 hour. I was told that is too long but with the amount of different things I do I do not know how to cut it down any suggestions.
Thanks

canadacatman
09-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Monkey bars lol I would not be able to hold my weight up for 10 seconds lol.
Also is it ok to do weights 3 times and cardio 2 times a week.
Or should I do a bit of both each day.
Thanks

canadacatman
09-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I do not wander I actually work the hour hard. Really hard my arms and that are dead when I am done. But maybe will look into a program.

Thanks

canadacatman
09-04-2011, 08:35 PM
I take 30 seconds between sets and 1 minute between changing exercises.
I do about 15 exercises in total. Should I be doing less or maybe do weights and cardio on same day just less of each.
Thanks

puneri
09-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I just baught progym bands. Has anyone used it? Is the handle ok? My instructor has asked me to look out for good handle.

Resolute
09-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Well i know they suggest either doing all upper body one day and then lower body the next time or the entire body for maximum muscle growth, they also reccomend 45 min window, and also 8 to 10 reps with a weight that you can do no more with afterward, also resting in between is supposed to be around 1 or 3 minutes, can't really remember, it's also suggested to have protein before and or after a workout, a lot of builders also have some high gi carbs to speed the uptake in the body and replenish glycogen levels ( on hand reserves ), these guys typically are lean to begin with though... So.

Personally i would concentrate mostly on losing weight and maintaining muscle mass, that is cardio work with a high protein diet and a smattering of low GI carbs ( fruit ) you want your body to replenish energy stores by canabalizing fat, that ,means eating many times daily and sticking to a suitable calorie intake, i would suggest eating your BMR and allowing any exercise /activity to be fueled by body fat, should keep your metabolism churning hard. Still weight training does increase the metabolism for a period of time greator than just cardio so it will return greater results over time, not necessarily greater losses but it is a benefit to increasing ones ability to burn.

So i say mostly cardio with a few days a week of lifting, gaining lots of muscle typically requires eating lots (protein), something that goes against weight loss. I personally aim for higher rep count as i'm not interested in looking like a muscle head any longer, but rather just nicely toned and muscular, trying to keep what i have.

canadacatman
09-04-2011, 09:06 PM
So here is what i do for weights.
I do about 15 exercises 3 sets of 12
I rest 30 seconds between sets and 1-2 minutes when changing exercises.
I do this 3 times a week and I am not trying to be a muscle head I weigh 345pounds lol.
Just know weights loose weight when your muscles are repairing.
Thats the only reason why I do more weights also I hate cardio lol.

I would love some tips please and thanks. Also I eat around 1500 calories and 4-5 liters of water daily.

Thanks

canadacatman
09-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Also I have been weight lifting for 2 weeks now and I can see and feel a difference but I was told that short a time CAN NOT GAIN ANY MUSCLE so what if any would you think the difference is.

Thanks

Resolute
09-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Cardio IMO is better for increasing heart rate which cause calorie burn, just walking briskly will do much, honestly i've lost the bulk of my weight by walking every single day. Walking briskly and swinging ones arms will also increase core strength and tone arms. I honestly didn't do much for weights till a few months ago, although i lifted religiously for years when i was younger (15 years ago) I generated a lot of bulk then and it seems i didn't lose a ton over time, probably because i was eating more than needed and carrying around a crap ton of weight all the time.

OK, personally i ate around 2000 cals a day to start out, the weight will only come off so fast, if you push to hard you risk shutting down your metabolism, as a defence mechanism ( starvation mode ) , this is below what my BMR was at the time but i was so fat i could not exercise very much and instead made the bulk of my deficit by diet alone.

I suggest figuring out what your BMR is and creating a caloric defecit roughly between 1000 and 1500 cals a day, this will give you between 2 to 3 pounds a week loss ( one pound is 3500 cals roughly ) , it's hard to push the body further than this, trust me i know, you need to count every cal you take in and figure out as close as possible ever cal you are expending, you will need to tweak things as you progress and your bodies BMR changes and your metabolism fires up, nothing is written in stone though and everyone varies slightly.

As for exercise, well i pretty much addressed that as best as i could earlier, still you need to do something you are comfortable doing and can enjoy, not to mention lifting religiously is extremely hard on ones body, one of the reasons that walking is the back bone of my routine, i'm not a young kid anymore and walking is subjectively less stressful on the body over running or lifting, i do do quite a bit of biking now also but i would of crushed a bike early on, these are things i am capable of and somewhat enjoy.

Resolute
09-04-2011, 09:49 PM
As for gaining muscle after two weeks, i doubt it, maybe you lost fat and can see more definition through that, also your body is probably ramping up glycogen levels, your insulin levels are probably working hard to stabalize for the needed demands you are requesting of it as well as a beneficial weight drop (training it).

I suggest researching a lot of how the body works and nutrition requirements / different foods, all this ties in with a healthy lifestyle, not exercise alone or simply starving oneself, eat a ton of low cal foods like vegetables for fill, eat meat for protein and to save \ build fat burning muscle, eat fruit for immediate low GI carbs ( energy replenishment, workout strength ) Stay away from highly processed foods and calorie dence foods and high GI carbs ( heavily processed like pasta ) eat cleanly and fresh with a great variety, don't restrict so much that you snap and binge, indulge once in a while, make tradeoffs and treat yourself in moderation from time to time. Nothing is off limits to me except pop / chocolate bars and potatoe chips to be honest.

Sorry if i seem to be rambling, tryng to convey you need to overhaul your entire life and relationship with food and exercise, it's the only way that will stick and work forever.

canadacatman
09-05-2011, 07:28 AM
You are not rambling I think you are teaching me alot.
It says I need a bit over 3200 calories a day. So that is why I did 1500.
I think I am having too much sodium though as I buy chicken burgers and that from M&M meats. I think I need to just buy the chicken breast plain and ground them and add to them myself.
It seems I eat the same thing every week but some weeks loose 4-5 pounds and this week lost 0.6 pounds.
Again I think it is the sodium keeping my water as I drink 4-5 liters daily and sometimes my sodium is well over 2000 a day.
I will work on cutting that down.
You also said you would crush a bike if you do not mind me asking how much did you weigh. I am at 345 right now down from 371.2 in 55 days.
I love the weights and not the cardio so much this is the only reason why I do weights more. I get bored just sitting on the bike in my basement but I love doing my medicine ball.
I did not really count calories yet as I did not want to have to measure and weigh my foods. Do you still do this. Is it not a hassle.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated and what you have told me thus far is also greatly appreciated. I would rather do it right the first time.

Thanks

DietVet
09-05-2011, 10:49 AM
There is no need to do cardio if you'd rather be lifting weights. Just make sure that you're lifting heavy and getting your heart rate up while you work!

(I do agree with Resolute that you could be merrily losing on way more than 1500 calories. Honestly, I'd start with 2200 or something and see how you go. You're going to be at this for a long time--there's not much to be gained by starting out with such comparatively low calories.)

Re the weight lifting. There are many, many ways of doing strength training. You can do full body every other day. You could alternate upper and lower body. You could do a bunch of splits with lower, chest, back, core. You can do many reps in 2 or 3 sets or few reps in 3 or 4 sets. You can do long rests or short rests, supersets or just straight up sets. The possibilities are endless.

If you're happy with what you're doing, keep doing it for now. If you want to push a little harder, I say find a program to do. I personally love the New Rules of Lifting--both the 'man' version and the woman version. They are comprehensive plans that tell you exactly what to do every day. There are other programs but I haven't tried them yet. :)

But basically, don't worry so much about having a perfect plan and really put your energies into developing your form. Work on doing excellent deep squats, solid deadlifts, quality crunches and so on.

canadacatman
09-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the advice.