Old 09-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Height: 5'8''

Default IP WITHOUT medical supervision

Hi all,

New to this board but I've been reading the posts for a long while now. I've been thinking of starting Ideal Protein since December 2010, but it's only this past week that I attended an introductory seminar at a clinic in my area. I have all the information for what I need to do in Phase 1, and know where to find Phase 2-4 information on the boards. Program seems pretty straightforward to follow, but is WAY out of my budget (I am a college student). Program runs about $500 a month in my area plus the initial $400 physical and blood tests and $50 monthly check-ups. I've been reading all the posts about alternative products that can be used in place of the packets and think buying them is a more reasonable option for me.

My question then is whether this program can be done completely outside of a doctor's supervision. I am 21 and have no medical issues (besides being overweight, of course). If I can cut my costs to even $300/month, it would be more reasonable for me.

Also, if anyone has done the program on their own, what products and vitamins/supplements did they use? (I know I can find the answer to this all over the place, but just so all my answers are in one thread ). Thanks!
QuietSplendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #2  
Reboot 10/24/15 - Age 49

S/C/G: 217.5/202.3/155

Height: 5'7"

I think that once you find the alternative products you should consult with your own Dr. Run the plan past him and show him exactly how it works. Then see what he recommends. I only say this because my Dr told me a patient wad referred to her, she felt crappy, and it turns out she was in renal failure. She'd been doing IP on her own without. Drs supervision. If she had consulted with a Dr first she probably would have been advised not to do IP because of underlying medical conditions. My IP clinic is overseen by a cardiologist and the ordered all my recent blood test results from my own Dr before starting and my Dr is completely behind me and monitoring my progress. I wish you all the best!
Tuscany123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #3  
Reboot 10/24/15 - Age 49

S/C/G: 217.5/202.3/155

Height: 5'7"

PS sorry for all the typos but I'm posting from my iPhone.
Tuscany123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #4  

Don't worry, I didn't even notice the typos

I think this could work for me, I am covered under my college insurance and the cost of blood work and a physical exam should be covered. Good suggestion, so thanks!

Anyone else have experience doing IP outside of an established program?
Old 09-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I agree that you should just touch base with your GP, with that said you should be fine with alternative, many have done that on the boards with great success.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #6  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

I agree, get your blood work done and talk to the Dr. The alternatives would work for you. EAS carb contol shakes for breakfast and snack and a pure protein bar for lunch with the 2 cups of veggies and her dinner......My mom has loss 35lbs since May doing it that way
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 132.5/116.2/120

Height: 5'5"

My IP clinic didn't do any type of bloodwork beforehand. They just had you fill out a form with all the medications you are on and then a nurse looked over it. I don't even think any of the clinic workers are nurses except the initial one who did the overview seminar. And I haven't seen her since. I would say go for it and if you start feeling badly to see your doctor.
Susank2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #8  

The clinic I go to didn't have a doctor, or a nurse, and I didn't have any bloodwork done. What kind of a shoddy place did I go to??
meonIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #9  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by meonIP View Post
The clinic I go to didn't have a doctor, or a nurse, and I didn't have any bloodwork done. What kind of a shoddy place did I go to??
That is how my place is....I just listed my meds and such. But I do go to the dr every 3-6 months to check my thyroid
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #10  

My clinic is at a cosmetic surgery clinic. My coach is a nutritionist. I was not measured nor was blood work done on me. I started getting health problems (like severe dizziness) and my dr told me to go back to regular salt and stay away from sea salt, then he told me to stop the plain water and change to Gatorade. I told the plastic surgeon and my coach and they both thought my Dr was a loon. Since I listened to my Dr. over my coach I've gained 10lbs! Sooooo I'm back on IP. IDK what was causing the fainting or dizziness. But it's gone now (whatever it was). Unfortunately I didn't only have one opinion. I saw four Drs. Family Dr, neurologist & an ear nose & throat. Over 4 grand later no answer....
But I'm convinced it wasn't IP that did it.
mymooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

4 Grand!!!! I hope you didn't have to pay that yourself. I have the dizziness if I don't take the sea salt. It is because my Blood Pressure goes down with all the water but the sea salt seems to correct it.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:00 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymooser View Post
My clinic is at a cosmetic surgery clinic. My coach is a nutritionist. I was not measured nor was blood work done on me. I started getting health problems (like severe dizziness) and my dr told me to go back to regular salt and stay away from sea salt, then he told me to stop the plain water and change to Gatorade. I told the plastic surgeon and my coach and they both thought my Dr was a loon. Since I listened to my Dr. over my coach I've gained 10lbs! Sooooo I'm back on IP. IDK what was causing the fainting or dizziness. But it's gone now (whatever it was). Unfortunately I didn't only have one opinion. I saw four Drs. Family Dr, neurologist & an ear nose & throat. Over 4 grand later no answer....
But I'm convinced it wasn't IP that did it.
At a glance it sounds like hypothyroidism, which can cause fatigue and weakness. Was the sea salt you used iodized? The required blood work at my clinic measures levels of thyroid stimulating hormone, so I'm assuming there's some sort of connection to this diet with the thyroid, or maybe it's just a precaution for women that go on this diet... I'm really not sure Who knows, maybe there was some other sort of vitamin or mineral deficiency.

That leads to my next question of taking supplements when you are doing the diet on your own. I have found calcium-magnesium supplements but can't find potassium-calcium. Is it okay to just take one potassium supplement with one separate calcium supplement? And can you use any old multi-vitamin? Does anyone have information about the dosage required for each supplement?!!! Planning this is getting hard!!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #13  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

I am doing IP thru a chiropractor. I never had blood work work or a physical. I do see my dr on my own.
I buy IP potassium calcium supplement: It is 800mg potassium and 200 calcium. I use my own calcium supplement and my own multi vitamin. I am not a doctor, but I think you could take the magnesium separately. What I would do is ask your doctor about all of your supplements when you have your physical. I think the potassium is very important to balance your salt intake and all of the water we drink.
Read all of the alternative products in the top information of this site. People have been very successful with alternative products. I know it is expensive.
Best of luck to you.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #14  
Start date 08/26/2011

S/C/G: 194.6/182.8/142.0

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
I am doing IP thru a chiropractor. I never had blood work work or a physical. I do see my dr on my own.
I buy IP potassium calcium supplement: It is 800mg potassium and 200 calcium. I use my own calcium supplement and my own multi vitamin. I am not a doctor, but I think you could take the magnesium separately. What I would do is ask your doctor about all of your supplements when you have your physical. I think the potassium is very important to balance your salt intake and all of the water we drink.
Read all of the alternative products in the top information of this site. People have been very successful with alternative products. I know it is expensive.
Best of luck to you.
Can you be more specific about where to read all of the alternative products on this site? I can't find them.

Thank you!
Corrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 199.2/181/125

Height: 5'3"

i would like to know where to read about the alternative products. i as well see a chiropractor and didnt have any blood work or physical done.
esthershafe is offline   Reply With Quote