General chatter - What are you reading Sept 2011

View Full Version : What are you reading Sept 2011

Smiling_Sara
09-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Another month, another thread. Share with us what you are reading.

I'm about halfway through Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang.

She cracks me up.

Michi702
09-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm reading a bunch of books kind of all at once :dizzy: I started a bit of each once and couldn't really get into any of them fully. I'm half way through Eat, Pray, Love because I find it kind of hard to get through the spiritual stuff she's doing in India right now. I started reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels because I already watch True Blood on HBO so I figured I'd start on them. I'm about a third of the way through Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (very good, will probably finish that before anything else). I feel like I have another one started but I can't remember it... and of course, I've just started reading the Beck Diet Solution but it doesn't really count in my opinion ;)

I just finished 'Such a Pretty Fat' and really liked it. I usually don't got for non-fiction, but I just loved the author's writing style. I might pick up some of her other books and I believe she either just published or will soon publish her first fiction work.

Ruthxxx
09-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Reading "The Bishop's Man" , a book club selection.

GonnaTurnHeads
09-01-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm reading "A Stroke Of Insight." - It's great!

Jen516
09-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Oooo, I loved Chelsea Chelsea bang bang! She's hilarious.
I just finished The Hunger Games Trilogy -- great books and a fast read. I'm now working on book 2 of the Game of Thrones books. Not so fast a read and I think there are 8 books! But they're fun.

CanadianCutie
09-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Halfway through The Lincoln Lawyer. Not sure what's next on my list yet, depends what I'm in the mood for, I guess.

my2cats
09-02-2011, 04:51 AM
Jen - I love the Song of Ice & Fire Series (Game of Thrones) - I think there's 6 books? But the series isn't done yet.

I've been reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman. A modern-day fantasy with more 'realistic' characters than you might find in some fantasy novels. E.g. what if Harry Potter were actually a depressive teenager (possibly with Asperger's)? It's an interesting read. I think this review best sums it up without spoiling anything: “Sly and lyrical ... The Magicians is an homage to both J.K. Rowling and C.S. Lewis, as well as an exploration of what might happen if troubled kids were let loose in the supernatural realms they grew up reading about. Grossman captures the magic of childhood and the sobering years beyond.”

Also The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is one of my favorite fantasy books of all time. Very well written characters and just overall an enjoyable read.

ANOther
09-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Winding up 2030 by Albert Brooks tonight (it's about what happens when cures for cancer, Alzheimer's and the aging process in general are found, the government is going broke paying out Medicare, Social Security and the lot to a much larger population of seniors while younger Americans steam; and then in 2030 THE BIG ONE lays Los Angeles waste ...)
Tomorrow start The Submission by Amy Waldman
After that, Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakauer
Once I get all the 09.11 out of my system, I ordered Jump! by Jilly Cooper from amazon.com

zinkemomx2
09-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Life is Hard, Food is Easy by Linda Spangle. I just got finished reading the Earth Children's series by Jean Auel. Excellent books IMO. Not sure what I'm going to start next.

Glory87
09-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Here's my list:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1035707?shelf=read

Most recent:

Attachments - "meet cute" in the email age
If You Were Here - latest Jen Lancaster, fiction this time, pretty good
Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb - fictionalized biography, fairly interesting

Next up:

The Most Dangerous Thing - Laura Lippman
Once Upon a Time There was You - Elizabeth Berg

SweetPeach3388
09-02-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm reading A Feast for Crows, which is the 4th book in the Game of Thrones series (btw there are 5 books--the 5th one just came out in July--and I think there is going to be 2 more). I started this series early last month and I think it's great; it really gets your imagination going!

Gogirl008
09-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Just starting The Secret Life of Bees. Very good so far.

AngelCOH
09-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Just started How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran, was laughing out loud so much I had to put it down!

Ruthxxx
09-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Just started The Bishop's Man which is my book club selection. We are DWARPS (Drinkers With A Reading Problem.) Fun group!

Chele615
09-02-2011, 06:41 PM
I just finished up "The Help"...it got me through 9+ hours of our power being out after Hurricane Irene.

Next up will either be "Sarah's Key" or "Lies Chelsea Handler Told Me" which are on two completely ends of the spectrum ;)

sheramama
09-02-2011, 09:27 PM
I am almost done with, "Overbite" by Meg Cabot

Smiling_Sara
09-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Just about to start reading In Defense of Food (http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Food-Eaters-Manifesto/dp/0143114964/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315876471&sr=8-1)

So looking forward to this book

FrouFrou
09-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Loved Secret Life of Bees! Haven't read the book Lincoln Lawyer but saw the movie and loved it!

Anyway...finished Smokin Seventeen, What's Your is Mine and on to The Help. Went to see the movie even though I wanted to read the book first and it was good so decided to go ahead and read the book, lol.

CanadianCutie
09-19-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm about a third of the way through A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving, but I'll be taking a break from that for Tuesday and Wednesday. I think I'll be reading Paper Towns by John Green, and The Thirteenth Tale (don't have the novel handy at the moment, and can't recall the author, also too lazy to look it up at the moment).

jules1216
09-19-2011, 07:55 PM
just starting Wicked Appetite byt Janet Evanovich....

side note....how do all the Evanovich fans frrl about Katherine Hiegel as Stephanie Plum...

FrouFrou
09-20-2011, 02:39 PM
I liked when they were considering Sandra Bullock as Stephanie...don't care for any of the people they chose for the movie especially Katherine Hiegel. Not sure I will see the movie when it comes out.

rachaelm
09-20-2011, 03:39 PM
I have put down & picked back up numerous times the Sword of Shannara trilogy by Terry Brooks. I really enjoyed my recent forays into fantasy with Song of Ice & Fire and I love the Sookie Stackhouse novels. I'm just not very involved with this one, the second book was soooo slooow, I'm on the last book now, and it's better, but I'll only finish it because I can't stand leaving a book 'half way'.

seabiscuit
09-24-2011, 05:00 AM
I am reading The Help, loving it!

Just started The Eighty Dollar Champion, really good so far.

I was reading Women, Food and God and it's a library loan so I don't know if I'll finish it. Seems I a lot of times take out books from the library meaning to finish them but get caught up in other good books and never finish them LOL, so many books, so little time...

jules1216
09-24-2011, 08:40 AM
I liked when they were considering Sandra Bullock as Stephanie...don't care for any of the people they chose for the movie especially Katherine Hiegel. Not sure I will see the movie when it comes out.

Not sure how I feel about her either...I have a picture of Stephanie in my head and I cant think of any "star" right now that fits it....that sad part is once I watch the movie...that persons face will be the one I read when I read the series..

MandeLea
09-25-2011, 02:39 PM
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo :)

sheramama
09-25-2011, 11:11 PM
"Not me"...about a guy who finds out his dad's entire identity was a lie. Pretty good so far.

walking2lose
09-25-2011, 11:58 PM
I just finished Push by Saphire and am debating whether or not I'll include it in my classroom library for independent reading (maybe only with a letter from parent). I have about 50 pages to finish in Mockingjay, which I plan to knock out tonight.

suetalks
09-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Finished Safe Haven by Sparks. A fast read and good.
Never did get to The Help..maybe that will be next.

CanadianCutie
09-26-2011, 01:03 AM
I finished with Paper Towns this morning. It was an excellent young adult/teen fiction novel (quite a bit of swearing though, though that doesn't bother me). I guess I'll be working on A Prayer for Owen Meaney again. I want to finish it, but I have a few other books I'm really looking forward to reading.

walking2lose
09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
I finished with Paper Towns this morning. It was an excellent young adult/teen fiction novel (quite a bit of swearing though, though that doesn't bother me). I guess I'll be working on A Prayer for Owen Meaney again. I want to finish it, but I have a few other books I'm really looking forward to reading.

Glad to see your rec! I ordered Paper Towns a few days ago from Amazon for my classroom- can't wait to read it myself. I have hundreds and hundreds of books in my classroom library, and of course the favorites have plenty of profanity, sex, etc. Ha. I loved Owen Meany, and once you get through your stack, you'd probably like Looking for Alaska by same author as Paper Towns-- it's great and a favorite in my room, which is what prompted me to get Paper Towns.

FrouFrou
09-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Jules...same here. Think that's why I don't like the choice...totally not who I have pictured in my head when I am reading the books.

Still working on The Help...haven't been reading as much as I would like but will get it done.

Happy Reading!

kaseymarie83
09-27-2011, 07:45 PM
I have been reading bossypants by Tina Fey. It was slow to start but so far it has been good. Hasn't been knee-slap funny but good humored.

Sherri77
09-30-2011, 04:06 PM
just starting Wicked Appetite byt Janet Evanovich....

side note....how do all the Evanovich fans frrl about Katherine Hiegel as Stephanie Plum...

Katherine Hiegl is about as far off from Stephanie Plum as can be. I think it is an awful pick. I am not really sure there is an actress out there who would fit...if there is, I haven't thought of her yet.

This is just my opinion though. I realize that everyone is going to have a different idea of what Stephanie looks like in their mind.

CanadianCutie
09-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Glad to see your rec! I ordered Paper Towns a few days ago from Amazon for my classroom- can't wait to read it myself. I have hundreds and hundreds of books in my classroom library, and of course the favorites have plenty of profanity, sex, etc. Ha. I loved Owen Meany, and once you get through your stack, you'd probably like Looking for Alaska by same author as Paper Towns-- it's great and a favorite in my room, which is what prompted me to get Paper Towns.
I've read Looking for Alaska, and An Abundance of Katherines, I have Will Grayson, Will Grayson in line to read (co written with another author), and his new novel The Fault in Our Stars is coming out in January I believe. He's doing something kind of neat. He's autographing every first edition copy of his new book, no matter where you buy it from if it's a first run it will be autographed.
I finished Owen Meany, wasn't overly fond of it. I read Garp in High School, and Last Night in Twisted River last year. I found Twisted River to be a little pretentious, and Owen Meany even moreso. The stories were fine, but Irving's writing style is what I have a problem with.
I am now onto Changeless, the second in the Parasol Protectorate series. It's a hoot, very tongue in cheek.

Ruthxxx
09-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Re-reading "The Jade Peony", my book club selection. I originally read it when it first came out and am enjoying it even more the second time - probably because I was traveling when I read it last and reading in hotel rooms. My own cozy house is much better!

ade903
09-30-2011, 06:19 PM
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo :)

Sooooooo amazing. I found the ending a bit slow, but it is needed to set up for the other two. Enjoy!

I just finished The China Study. Pretty good. I'm thinking of venturing to my local library, as I'm out of funds at the moment.