Exercise! - RUNNING September to Remember!!!!! DO IT!

ncuneo
09-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Oh my gosh! I almost blew it again! It's September already...where has the year gone? How far have you run? Did you just start? Whatever the circumstances, we are all here with out of the same passion - RUNNING!

So declare it here, share your questions, thoughts and inspirations - All are welcome :)

ncuneo
09-01-2011, 04:27 PM
So no run for me today, ST and Yoga. Did 5 yesterday hitting 715 for the year so far, only 285 to go!

Been busy busy busy, so sorry I haven't been around much to offer support. Going through some big life decisions and it's got me a little distracted:)

Keep it up everybody - let's make this month awesome!

CherryPie99
09-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Did 3 at lunch today - pretty hot and humid and my time wasn't great. I run my first 5K (charity run) a week from Saturday and I am SO nervous. When I have runs like today's that kind of suck, I worry that I won't be able to complete. I might be just tired - between walking and running since Monday I've gone 23 miles...

K9Owner
09-01-2011, 08:07 PM
:yay: Ncuneo, Iím so thrilled you started this thread! I ran 4.3 this a.m. and my time was not that great, but I ran last night and I have to run again in the a.m. to meet my weekly challenge of 3x/week. I am going camping this weekend and there will be no other time left in the week. MFP post pretty much summed up my morning today. I didnít feel like going after running 4 miles last night, but I DID IT. It wasnít a record-breaking event, nor a personal best across the finish line, but IDID FINISH! (I felt great and HUNGRY afterwards).

This month, my goal is to run 3x/week at least 4 miles each time, adding hill intervals 2x/week. I am planning to do the Cooper-Young 4-miler (http://cooperyoung4miler.racesonline.com/), new race for me, on September 16. I am also starting to gear up for the annual St. Jude Marathon/ Ĺ Marathon in December. I still canít train again for the Ĺ due to back injury, but I always do the Memphis Grizzly House 5K. I really want to beat my previous times.

That's it! My :running: men are at the bottom of the siggy keeping me accountable for my goal this week! I'm hoping to shed 3.5 lbs this month with all of the extra running. My scale and body :love: LOVE :love: this size!!!!

fozentusic
09-01-2011, 10:19 PM
I had the GPS off on my garmin by accident so I couldn't map tonight's run. BUT. I did my 5kms.

5kms in... wait for it... 31:58!!!! Personal best! From 35:59 on August 21 to 34:45 on August 29 to 31:58! I beat my last personal best by almost three minutes. WOW. I can do this!

brillmama2
09-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Ok! I don't know if I can officially call myself a RUNNER, but I have been running and walking a few miles every other day so I am going to join in on thisbfor motivation to keep me going at it. I want to go 4miles 3x a week so a month goal of 50 miles.
I also want to be ablt to do 2miles without slowing to a walk ... right now I can run about a 12 min mile.. slow I know and 5k in 40minutes.... I also hope that improoves. I will have buko more time for exercized starting on the 6th.. both my kids start school .. CAN YOU HEAR MY EXCITEMENT... YAYY JUMP SCREAN DANCE!!!!... I hope to really be a runner like you all someday!

jendiet
09-02-2011, 03:07 AM
I ran 2 miles today, but it was in 2 increments. I did HIIT again, I run on my rebounder while I watch tv. my throat got a little dry and I wasn't sure if I wanted to drink water or not, what do you normally do???

fozentusic
09-02-2011, 09:02 AM
I looked up previous results for the run that I'm doing in a few weeks. If I can run the same time I ran last night I should place in the top third of my age group. Unreal. I thought I would be the last one moseying on past the finish line.

I am so MOTIVATED.

Emme
09-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Good morning, everyone! I am slowly working my way up to the 5K that I am doing next month and I am up to 2.22 miles as of this morning. I am hoping to run that again on Sunday and then bump it up to 2.5 miles next week. I ran the 2.22 miles in 25:43, so that puts me between an 11-12 minute mile...slow, yes, but I am doing this for endurance right now. I just want to be able to finish the 5K!

fozen ~ Awesome work on the time improvement!!

brillmama ~ It sounds to me like you are a runner! :)

jendiet ~ I don't drink water when I'm running because: a) on the treadmill I would totally bite it b/c I am not coordinated, and b) I don't bring water with me when I run outside. But, if you are thirsty, grab a quick drink if you need it!

K9owner ~ I'm trying to run 3x a week as well. It pushes me to not slack!

Cherry ~ It is so difficult to get out there when it's hot and humid. I went out at 6 a.m. this morning b/c the heat index with humidity today is supposed to be over 100 degrees today...yuck. It was already nasty outside when I went out so early.

ncuneo ~ Thanks for starting the September thread! :)

ncuneo
09-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Depends on the time of year for me. Summer - water on anything over 5 miles or if it's excessively hot. In the winter I generally don't take water, even on my long runs. That's said I'm hydrating ALL the time - 100oz most days. So PLEASE drink water! Hydration is super important and will eventually effect your performance.

Intervals today - 5 miles total, 3 of running.

tigrre
09-02-2011, 11:47 PM
7 miles this morning. I'm fairly new to considering myself a "runner." I did couch to 5k last fall and ran about 30 minutes 3 times a week from November 2010 - June 2011. However, I didn't really start to enjoy running until I started pushing myself to do longer distances 2 months ago. Now I love it!

jendiet
09-03-2011, 02:27 AM
I ran 2 miles today. It was straight through . Still doing a mile in 16 minutes, but that is ok. Of course my time today was 32 minutes. I'm consistent.

I did end up drinking water because sucking air down a dry throat, does not feel good.

I'm going to try to keep up the 2 miles/day because I feel really good with that, I am not going to be sad if I can't run it in one shot, because I know it adds up.

tigr, I'd say you are a runner. wow.
nc, I think with the new running, and I am still breastfeeding...I am noticing the need for hydration ALOT more. thanks for the advice.

Emme, I think endurance is better than a fast mile. Great job. I hope I can do that soon.

fozen, it sounds like you are going to do awesome!

Did 1 more mile at 2 am. Just felt like doing it. 17 min again. It brought my blood sugar back down from 137 (pizza and sweet tea) to 86. So that was good.

milmin2043
09-03-2011, 05:06 AM
This was my first week of running 50 miles in preparation for a full marathon. I was scared of that many miles a few months ago, but now it doesn't seem too bad. I haven't suffered any overuse injuries (yet) so I consider myself extremely lucky.
It's so nice to see everyone here, enjoying running. Good luck to everyone whether you're training for a race or just running for the love of it.

aleksandra
09-03-2011, 07:41 AM
I don't know ifI can consider myself as a runner, but I jog every morning for about 45 mins. I do interval trainings (I'm kind of new and out of shape, so I really need interval training) and usually I run about 5 miles. When I started 2 months ago, I did 3 miles in about 40-45 mins :)
jogging really makes me feel good about myself, also this nice fresh air in the morning ... It refreshes every cell in my body (to be a bit of a poet :D ) :) I really enjoy it, even though I'm probbably moving indoors with october due to the (usual) low orning temperatures we get here between october and march. So I was thinking about jogging in the gym (these threadmills are ALWAYS vacant in my gym :D ) and doing some spinning classes to keep my shape up :)
I'm planning on running a 10k in spring and I really want to prepare myself well, because I want to do it with a good time score :)
My journal of exercise is in my sig ;)

jendiet
09-03-2011, 03:16 PM
legs feel a little wobbly today, and my weight is up...how do you know you are overtraining?

mkroyer
09-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Jen- you dont know, really... its way different for everyone
some signs-- weightloss complettely HALTS

you stop getting your period, or it becomes irregular
You performance CONSISTENTLY is getting worse

you are always sore
you start getting overuse injuries
If oyou are eating enough to suppoert your activity, youre probably goping to eventually become overtrainined
You dont *want* to train

for me, i know when im over trained because my period get effected.
AND i cant lose weight
How much are you training? why do you think you are overtraining? Having one bad run on any given day is just par for the course. Everyone has bad runs, or runs where they dont feel well, or where they just CANT "get it done" the way they normally would. EVERYONE had those days./... sometimes you get stuck in a rut of bbad run after bad run, and it SUCKS! But then it is compensated by those days when you hvae TERRIFIC runs... the kind that just make your day, where everything feels perfect and you feeel like you could run forever, and you get that runners high, etc... Sounds like FROZEN JUST had one of those runs a couple days ago

FANTASTIC FROZEN........ i love how QUICKLY we progress in that first year or so of running.. its amazing

As for me... eh, Effing staph infection and antibiotics... no outdoor running for me BLEH

milmin2043
09-04-2011, 01:57 AM
aleksandra-you are definitely a runner!
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
I love to run outside as well. Nothing like being in nature and breathing in fresh air.
Best wishes

envelope
09-04-2011, 04:24 AM
Was having a great run yesterday am...feeling like I was completely ready for my 1/2 marathon. Unfortunately it ended with me in the hospital with adominal pain. At first they thought it was appendix but it ended up being something with an ovary. Luckily I am done having children, or I would be completely stressed. My main worry for the short term is how is it going to affect my 1/2 marathon this Sat? I am also concerned about having to miss any school, the kids start on Tues, and that is when the er wants me to see my obgyn.

jendiet
09-04-2011, 09:46 AM
mk, thanks for the response, well I have been stalled, but I don't think it is the running. I pretty much stalled out when I STARTED running. But I think that is mostly due to body composition changes, I could be wrong.

I just felt a little sluggish and bloated and my legs feel swollen up and down...I was jogging before I got pregnant, and then quit, and then took it back up. always on my rebounder though. I am trying to do at least 1 mile per day, but I read somewhere that jogging on the rebounder for 20 min is the equivalent of a 3 mile run because of how the load affects your body.

I guess, what really gets me is the stalled weight loss. Nothing new. It just sucks, but I feel like my body is changing.

fozentusic
09-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Envelope - I hope your stomach is okay!
jendiet - I don't know much about overtraining, but mkroyer has good advice. My only thought is to listen to your body. If you are having pain, feeling sluggish, take a day off and do something different to stay active. Stretch it out, rest your muscles and ease back into it.

Ahhh, on Friday I had to meet up with my husband so I thought instead of taking two cars I'd just run to his office, it's about 6km. I looked up a route and figured I'd take a pathway to save some time.

It was boiling nasty humid out. I nearly died. Also, I took this path that google maps told me to... DEAD END. In the middle of a swampish field. I went like two miles out of my way there and back. So frustrated. So I ran a reallllly crappy time. 42 mins for 5km, because I was busy cursing and then I had to slow down to wait for traffic as I had to run along a busy road instead. What a bummer of a day. Husband ended up picking me up along the route so we could make it to the inlaws' on time!

Another nasty humid and rainy day out, so I'll be heading into the gym to hop on the dreadmill for an easy run. Maybe a longer run. We'll see how i feel. I used to love running indoors but now I really prefer outdoors!

Emme
09-06-2011, 02:25 PM
OMG, fozentusic, that sounds awful!! I would have been cursing the whole time, too.

envelope ~ I really hope you are going to be ok for your marathon this weekend! I'm sending good running vibes your way.

I was able to run 2.75 yesterday in 27 minutes. I'm going to run it again on Thursday. I am very anxious to get up to 3.0 and then 3.2! I am pretty sure I could do it, but I've heard that you never want to risk injury by doing too much too soon, so I am going to climb up easy. Is there any merit to that whole "too much to soon" injury claim for someone just gearing up to run a 5K and not a half or marathon?

jendiet
09-07-2011, 01:58 AM
I jogged one mile today, it was really hard. My heart rate is up at least 10 beats than normal, so I think I might have pushed my body too hard. But, I am going back into it. I guess I think I can do more because I am on the rebounder and don't have to worry about joints...but my body still knows the difference. Tomorrow I am aiming for going for a run and circuit training.

NTexas
09-07-2011, 10:45 AM
3 miles yesterday. Sign up for my first 5K today to run on the 17th :eek: My son is running it with me, how cool is that!

jendiet
09-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Ntexas, that is really cool.

I didn't get a run in yesterday, but omg, was I busy racked up 12 miles on the pedometer. Today will be slower. I wonder how a 1 mile run compares with 12 miles of walking doing day to day chores. Still I like the "high" from running. Going to try to get 1 mile in today, maybe more.

mkroyer
09-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Jen-- the "12 miles" you walked yesterday going about your day, is WAY BETTER (for fat loss) than 1or 2 miles (or heck, even 10 miles) of running

ncuneo
09-08-2011, 04:34 PM
^ tend to agree. I noticed last year I lost way quicker hiking then I ever did running long distances.

Sorry I haven't been around much. My computer at works hates 3FC, it constantly crashes, not sure what gives. I've also been cheating on you guys with MyFitnessPal - gasp! I'm sorry :(

Anywho - just plugin' along waiting for this stupid planter faciitus to clear up...last time I had it long long before running it took forever. I even skipped my long run Sunday, but that didn't make a hug difference. Oh well. Such is the life of a weight obsessed, fitness **** runner :)

I'm reading a really great book right now called "Run like a Mother" about these two mom's and their running lives. It's great, but giving me the marathon itch again. Unfortunately, things are tight right now and I can't seem to find the $ for the registration, so it's not really a choice at the moment. I've even thought about just training and running it by myself, but there's something about that finisher medal and t-shirt that's making it not quite worth it.

So I did 4 miles Monday, 5 Wednesday, will do 5 of intervals tomorrow and 10 Sunday. And of course strength training and Yoga on my "off" days. I've finally started lifting again after 5 weeks off. Boy have I seen my body getting squishy from not doing it. I'm having to find alternate means of squats though since my knees really just don't seem to be liking them too much.

Hope everyone is doing well!

MelloFatto
09-08-2011, 09:07 PM
I just started running for the first time ever yesterday. (running as much as I can, then going inside to jump rope) I saw improvement in my distance already today... just a little bit but it still made me happy! Lol.

How long did it take you guys to run up to like five minutes without stopping?

brillmama2
09-08-2011, 09:34 PM
mello i started running in july. at first i could only run a minute or 1.5minutes.. then about 3 weeks ago my body got it and i went up to 10minute intervals. i recomend programs like c25k or simiilar...
that being said i havent ran since last friday!!!!! i have been so super busy getting the kids into school that it hasnt happened..... kimtergardeners dont start till the 16th.... whatever... i am going out to run tomorrow am and hetting back into this... i actually miss running

MelloFatto
09-08-2011, 10:01 PM
I just searched the c25k, looks promising :D

fozentusic
09-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Mello - A few weeks.. I did C25K as well.

Did intervals tonight. I think I prefer the treadmill for intervals! Anyhow, I think I came close to my PB, if not exceeded it, but I can't tell for sure because I forgot to pause my garmin while i stopped to fix my shoe and I included my 3 minute walking warm up to get my HR up to 100 before I started to run.

I am excited for my race! Bring it on!

jendiet
09-09-2011, 01:17 AM
well, I did not run again today. I opted to do Gold Gym's workout for my rebounder. Omg, my HR stayed maxed out most of the time. It is because I did strength with running intervals. By the time we closed with abs I felt like I was dying. I also did another 11.5 mi, it is because this place gets really messy and I HAVE to clean and I also helped my friend clean her house as well. I walk alot back and forth between our houses too. anywho. I'm spent.

Fozen, beating your personal best is awesome. IT shows what good condition you are in.

brill, I need to run again too.

mello, I started running in intervals too. I can't say much cuz I can only run for 32-35 minutes which is 2 miles for me.

NC, pf really sucks. I had it after I recovered from my c-section. It really hurt to step down on the floor in the morning.

mk, it is a good thing, because I really want to lose this fat!

kpenn1971
09-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Mello....

I just started yesterday... if you want to start and have someone on the same time line let me know. :) As of today my hind end is sore as mess LOL but it's a good sore!!

K9Owner
09-09-2011, 11:40 AM
I completely slacked on this thread due to camping over a long weekend, gaining last week, and deciding on a new regime for food and fitness, which includes ďwalkingĒ and NO RUNNING for a couple of weeks. I am on a 6 week plateau and I am aggressively working towards overcoming it! However, that will have to include the ceasing of running for a bit, but I will be back for sure. I already MISS running!

NTexas
09-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Another 3 miles down.

brillmama2
09-09-2011, 09:48 PM
so i ran 2 miles today... just wasnt feeling it... oh well so i got 10 for the months so far... only 40 to go... and i have been walking a lot back and forth to my kids school 2x a day... keep it up ladies and i am going to amp it up this week

fozentusic
09-10-2011, 03:49 PM
I screamed profanities really loudly today close to the end of my run. I started off too strong and was running out of steam by the end of it. Kicking myself! I should know better. Then I was mad because I ran a minute longer than I intended to, but come on... i still ran hard. Bah.

One week til the 5k...

envelope
09-11-2011, 07:13 AM
I did my half marathon yesterday. I met my goal of jogging the entire way and I think (have to wait until official chip times are posted) that I may have made it under 3 hours. The timer said 3hrs 1min 11sec, but a friend of mine who placed 3rd in her age group said her chip time took over 1 min off. I am certain she crossed the start line before me.

kpenn1971
09-11-2011, 05:30 PM
WTG Envelope!!!!! Great job finishing!!! Was that your first 1/2 or had you done some before?

I have a question for the experienced runners here... I am set to complete my C25K program in 8 weeks.... there is the Yuengling Shamrock 1/2 Marathon on March 17th. I believe that is 20 weeks after completing the C25K. Is that too lofty of a goal? Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks so much!!!

kpenn1971
09-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Finished W1D3 and it rocked... took a whole minute off my last pace and 2 minutes off my first pace on W1D1... still a 21.12 minute mile which is 10 minutes slower than 4 years ago when I used to run, but it's getting there and I'll take it. LOL
Felt so good doing this again. :) :)

brillmama2
09-12-2011, 11:42 AM
yay taking the kids to school and off for a nice run!!!

NTexas
09-12-2011, 01:11 PM
2.5 miles this morning.

kpenn1971 - don't worry about pace right now. Just focus on the run/walk intervals and as your fitness improves so will your times. Keep going!

claire0412
09-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Hi ladies, hope you don't mind if I join you!

I'm going to start running again this week (after a foot operation in June). I'm going to have to start very slowly because my foot still doesn't overly like running but I have some long term goals for this running season:

1. Beat my 1/2 marathon time (2:07). Ideally I'd like to get under 2:00, and have until March to knock those minutes off!

2. Beat my 5k PB (24:35)

3. Complete my first triathlon - so I will be building in some brick sessions with my bike.

All these goals are a long way off yet because I've got to get my foot up to scratch but I will see where there is to go running around here and I might try and run home from uni tomorrow :)

brillmama2
09-12-2011, 05:44 PM
oh... i over did it today!!!!
walked the kids to school, ran the mile to the gym, did half mile on the tredmill, did 30 leg lifts on the captains chair, did a one hour cardio/muscle conditioning class, then ran/ walked ther mile back to the school and walked home with my daughter from kindergarten...
oh really it felt so great!
something similar to this is what my routine mornings are going to look like.

hdallas78
09-12-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm training for my first half marathon in December, and I am still slow. I know I should focus on distance and not pace, but I obsess about it. Last week, I ran 20 miles for the week. Sunday I ran 7 miles, which is my longest long run to date, and I didn't stop or walk any of it, but my pace was only 13:43. Even on my shorter runs I can't seem to get below a 12 minute mile. It doesn't help that all of the calorie burn calculators don't count it as running unless you're 12 minute mile or less.

I haven't been on in a while, and I am sorry for jumping on out of nowhere to b**ch, but it just has me all riled up today.

envelope
09-12-2011, 10:31 PM
My chip time for my 1/2 showed 3hrs 40sec. That is 13min 50sec per minute, and I am proud of it!!!! I completed a half marathon!!!

So Hdallas, ;), No griping about your time....you are already faster than me. I do not care what the online calorie calculators show, if you are running even at my slow pace, you are burning more cals than if you were walking!

brillmama - sounds like a great way to spend the morning while your daughter is at K.

Claire - not sure if I will ever reach your time, it is impressive. I am enjoying my penguin status right now.

Kpenn - I am not sure what the experts would recommend, but I did C25K last summer/early fall then stopped jogging. I started up again May 29th and did my 1/2 marathon Sat. If you decide to do one, follow a novice runner training plan for the 1/2 marathon.

aimeebell
09-13-2011, 11:25 AM
So, how do you know when it is okay to run again after an injury? I think I pulled a hamstring 10 days ago. I was sore from a day of yard work the day before, then went for a run, felt more sore after, and gradually turned into intense pain and lack of range of motion over two days, basically putting me out of commission for the next three days. It is now just a tightness in the back of my right thigh, and I can't quite touch my toes in a stretch. So, it is still there, a constant ache, but not pain. Okay, typing this out has made it clear to me that I should wait a bit. Ugghh, I am Jonesing for a run, more mentally than physically.

twinmommaplusone
09-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Wow, Time just keeps FLYING ME BYE...

Happy Running Peeps!

20 miler on my birthday 9/5

13.1 this past sunday 9/11

for 47 miles last week.

Peak Marathon Training, College is started again and not sure why I'm here other than I'm escaping my responsibility for 15minutes, lol.

33 days till Marathon #2!!

twinmommaplusone
09-13-2011, 03:00 PM
So, how do you know when it is okay to run again after an injury? I think I pulled a hamstring 10 days ago. I was sore from a day of yard work the day before, then went for a run, felt more sore after, and gradually turned into intense pain and lack of range of motion over two days, basically putting me out of commission for the next three days. It is now just a tightness in the back of my right thigh, and I can't quite touch my toes in a stretch. So, it is still there, a constant ache, but not pain. Okay, typing this out has made it clear to me that I should wait a bit. Ugghh, I am Jonesing for a run, more mentally than physically.

sorry to hear :( Can you cross train/swim?

shasha12
09-13-2011, 04:00 PM
hi everyone!!! fell off the running wagon, but I’m back on now. did 5 easy miles last night. felt great, felt strong. Happy to be back :)

twinmomma, WOW! that’s a lot of miles. how inspiring!

ncuneo
09-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Hey Everyone, lots of great news here - everyone keep it up!

I'm totally the wrong person to ask when it's ok to run after injury. I've run through a sprained ankle, major knee pain and currently tendonitis (or planter faciitus). My best advice would be to just focus on your body and how you're feeling. No pain, doesn't necessarily mean it's ok either. Guess that doesn't help much :/

My arch is feeling a lot better, even after a horrible long run Sunday. I started wearing additional support on my left arch Monday and I think that has helped. I did 9.5 Sunday (*****ing and moaning the whole way), 3 Monday and will probably do 5 tomorrow. Strength training and yoga today.

Right now I'm trying to figure out where to find $ so I can do the LA Marathon, work has slowed down a little and I'm broke as a joke from our last vacation of fun and we're trying to save up so we can relocate next summer...so it may all be for not. But I've got the itch! I'm barely 4 weeks post half-marathon and I'm bored not training LOL. I've got a pretty strict running schedule right now so I can meet my goal of 1000 miles this year, but I want something more, even thought I'm not sure my body can handle it...oh well.

Weight loss is finally starting to move again now that my milage is down, but I keep goofing off on the weekends so it's slow going...

Anyhoo - great job ladies!

fozentusic
09-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Ah, a new 5k PB tonight: 30:59 (on a treadmill though. Cheater!) My first reaction was anger! I wanted to get into the 20s. But compared to August 3 (around when I got my Garmin), I was doing 3.93km in 33 minutes. Now I'm doing 5k in 30:59? What the **** am I complaining about!?

I'm going to rock the run. Sunday! So close!

We also signed up for a Family Fun Run in October. 3k. Will be easy, and we'll bring the stroller!

brillmama2
09-14-2011, 12:34 AM
running on the ground is so much harder than running on the tredmill... i figured a little harder but damn... oh well i shall just keep pushing and it will get better.... RIGHT????
and fozen thats awsome.... keep it up!!!!

indiblue
09-14-2011, 05:23 AM
HI everyone, just popped in to check in :)

I haven't run in several weeks. I haven't really felt "into" it. I have realized I don't want to push myself to run when I don't want to and end hating it. I'd rather do it for enjoyment sake.

I want to always be able to run 5K in 30 minutes whenever I want... that's my baseline goal for fitness.

There's a 10K at the end of November I want to do. I think I'll take more time off to just lift and x-train, then start runnning again at the beginning of October.

Congrats to all of you guys on your progress and good luck to those of you with injuries!! Happy trails :)

shasha12
09-15-2011, 05:23 PM
indi, that’s a great goal. i like :)

3.5 miles tonight. feeling strong of mind!

CherryPie99
09-15-2011, 05:46 PM
3 miles at lunch today and a personal best of 33:03. This is the coldest weather I have ever run in - 58 degrees. I was shocked at how much easier it is on the body to run in cool weather. I have been running on my lunch hours, so all summer I've been running in 80-90 degree heat. What a difference!

I HATE to see summer come to an end, but at least it's good for something!

kpenn1971
09-15-2011, 05:48 PM
hi everyone!!! fell off the running wagon, but Iím back on now. did 5 easy miles last night. felt great, felt strong. Happy to be back :)

twinmomma, WOW! thatís a lot of miles. how inspiring!

WOW!!! I can't wait until I have an easy 5 miles... LOL Right now 2 is hard and that's with walking LOL... way to go!!!!

jayohwhy
09-15-2011, 08:23 PM
i'll admit it-- i've become a running addict. i love how easy it is and how accomplished i feel after i'm done-- even though i'm covered with sweat. plus, i love how many calories it burns in so little time... i'm training for a 10k right now after just finishing couch to 5k. i've done 3 miles twice this week and am going to stretch it to 3.5 miles on saturday-- i'm excited!

do you guys take rest days?

ncuneo
09-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Rest days from running or rest days from exercise? I run 4 days, cross train 3 days, so yes I take rest days from running but not from exercise unless in feeling very run down or sick.

5 miles of intervals today, I did really good, for me. I haven't had a chance to check my stats from my Garmin, but I was in the 8 minute area going uphill and that was exciting. The hill to my house is always at the end of my steady state runs and I have trouble staying the 10 min area going up it. It's about a mile and a half hill so it's a beast. It kills my splits every time and screws up my average pace.

8-10 miles Sunday, then next week training for my next half starts. It's kinda an unofficial training. I'm thinking about running the Las Vegas Rock n Roll half in December, but it's my hubby's birthday so we're not 100% comitted to the idea of spending that weekend in Vegas. It's not a big deal either way, I'm at a point where I'm always about 4 weeks out from being half marathon ready so if we go we go, if not no big deal.

Have a great weekend everyone!

hdallas78
09-17-2011, 09:30 AM
I have logged 17.5 miles this week over 4 runs, but apparently pushed too hard because I have a raging case of shin splints :-( I guess I will have to take the week off from running and just focus on cross training and walk. I hate feeling like I am going backwards. I have my first half marathon December 6 and want to be ready, but it is frustrating not making the kind of progress I want to. On a positive note, I did set 2 pr's this week, running 4 miles at an average pace of 11.36, and doing my longest run to date of 7 miles (hence the Shinsplints). One step forward, two steps back.

ange82much
09-17-2011, 08:06 PM
i seem to be turning into a very lazy runner and i can't decide whether this bothers me or not.

i really enjoy running - but there it is, i do it because i enjoy it and to burn a few calories, therefore recently i haven't been interested in going fast.

my favourite run is the long one, preferably cross-country trail stuff, but again i'm getting lazier and just walking up a lot of the hills that i used to run up.

i suppose if i'm writing all this, then it is bothering me at some level, on the other hand every time i've tried to improve my speed historically it's always ended in injury (itbs, shins, hips!!), so i'm not really built for it either.

is anyone else like this? Should i pick a race and do some more focused training for it, or is it ok to carry on being lazy?!?!

ncuneo
09-17-2011, 08:30 PM
^I think if you're enjoying yourself and staying overall healthy and active who cares. I've never really cared all that much about my speed, although I have recently incorporated speed work into my program, just because I was getting a little bored and wanted to do something a little different.

I think we all kind of go through cycles of training and non-training or intense and less intense cylces of running. Or at least I do.

And that said...I *think* I've decided to go ahead and train for the LA Marathon. I did some research and it looks like it's only sold out once, so I'm sure sometime between now and March I can find some extra cash for the reg fee. And if I can't or it sells out, oh well, chance you take.

I'll have to go back and look at the training schedule I put together, but I don't think training will actually start untill late October, so between now and then I'll just plug along :)

Emme
09-18-2011, 11:21 AM
It sounds like everyone is doing great! I love reading all of your running posts even though I don't comment too often. I ran 3.1 miles today with a time of 33:56, so that puts me at an 11:19 mile. I think I'm ready for the 5k/obstacle course in mid-October! I don't know how well I'll do with the obstacles, but at least I know I will be able to run. I'm thinking now of running longer and farther. I'm not interested in running faster because I really enjoy the pace I have when I run, but I am interested in burning more calories and whittling down my body. Joyfulloser, a poster on 3FC and someone I follow often, worked her body into amazing shape simply by running and running 4-6 miles a few times a week. I can already tell that my legs are a lot smaller than they were last month and it's all because of running. I'm really enjoying this! I hope you all have a great Sunday!

hdallas78
09-18-2011, 11:34 AM
I did some research and found that I was definitely overtraining. I found a good beginners half marathon training plan and did an easy 2.5 miles today with little pain. I think if I follow this plan I will be set to finish the half in 12 weeks! I keep reminding myself that I'm not in it to win it- I am just in it to finish without stopping or walking! Ncuneo - you are such an inspiration! I have never even considered being able to run a full marathon! I hope your training goes well and the $ comes through for you!!!

fozentusic
09-18-2011, 01:22 PM
First 5k under my belt! My chip time was 32:01.2! 1373/4872 of all women. 356/867 in my age group. Not bad for a first try!

My garmin clocked me at 32:13 ... and it measured the distance as 5.17km. Mapmyrun says it was 5.1kms. SO, not sure what to believe. If I go by the Garmin, I did 5km in just over 31 mins.

Regardless, I felt good. It was definitely my best performance ever, without a doubt. I didn't walk at all and I ran faster than I usually do. I'm happy.

But I still think I got ripped off with the time ;)

ncuneo
09-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Congrats fozen!

jayohwhy
09-18-2011, 10:06 PM
^I think if you're enjoying yourself and staying overall healthy and active who cares. I've never really cared all that much about my speed, although I have recently incorporated speed work into my program, just because I was getting a little bored and wanted to do something a little different.

I think we all kind of go through cycles of training and non-training or intense and less intense cylces of running. Or at least I do.

And that said...I *think* I've decided to go ahead and train for the LA Marathon. I did some research and it looks like it's only sold out once, so I'm sure sometime between now and March I can find some extra cash for the reg fee. And if I can't or it sells out, oh well, chance you take.

I'll have to go back and look at the training schedule I put together, but I don't think training will actually start untill late October, so between now and then I'll just plug along :)

Youve inspired me to try for flying to nyc in 2012 for the marathon there! I was thinking of joining you for the la one, but i think it would be too soon for me, so idecided to set a really bigbcool goal to work toward!

NTexas
09-19-2011, 07:32 PM
congrats frozen.

I haven't been on here in a few days, but ran 2 miles on Thrusday and my first race was on Saturday. I intended to do a 5K, but my son pooped out during mile 2 so we walked/jogged the rest of the way. Didn't bother to find out my time or anything - no chip. I'm signing up for another one in November that I'll run solo :)
One thing that suprised me was the chaos that was the race. TONS of people everywhere. There was no pace setting so it was bobbing and weaving trying to get around the walkers, strollers and slower runners-- then we became the slow ones, lol. I'll chalk this one up as a trial run :)

indiblue
09-20-2011, 02:55 AM
Congrats frozen and NTexas on your runs!

Did ~5.5 or 5.75 km on small hills in 36 minutes today. Turns out running is a lot more fun for me when I only do it 1-2 x a week :)

Question for all of you: Are you out of breath when you finish? My breath is much more rapid, but it's very steady and I wouldn't consider myself "out of breath." Does that mean I should/could push myself harder? I think I'm afraid of pooping out... and opt for "slow and steady" as opposed to pushing myself.

ange82much
09-20-2011, 03:04 AM
i'm generally not out of breath when i finish, but as per previous confession, i'm a lazy runner!

I'd say it depends what you're trying to do with your run. If it's a long one - no it should be steady breathing. If it's a tempo run, you should be a bit out of breath, and if you're doing intervals then you should be out of breath at the end of each interval!

If you're only running 1-2 times a week i'd say you're doing ok. If you're running more often than that and aiming to get faster then i'd say that in at least one of your runs you should be out of breath some of the time.

(see, i've suddenly become an expert (????) now that it's someone else with a question!!)

Unna
09-20-2011, 03:39 AM
I just got these amazing, custom made shoe soles for my running shoes. No more arch pain!

I'm currently running for weight loss purposes- so no long distances for me.... my body seems to prefer running shorter distances (45-55min) at a quicker pace most days of the week for weight loss. Running is also my anti-depressant, so it is like my daily dose of prozac.

I wasn't cut out for long distances - gained a bit a kept getting new pains. I'm sort of a wimp - so I don't like the pain or injuries at all.

Can I ask - those planning the marathons and half-marathons - what are your calorie levels like?

jayohwhy
09-20-2011, 01:30 PM
@unna - i'm doing weightwatchers online, and i eat all my activity points and maybe 25% of my weekly points. i know that most people are calorie counting, but i'm more comfortable with weight watchers because when i calorie count, i starve myself until i end up binging.

ncuneo
09-20-2011, 08:16 PM
If I'm trying to lose I'm around 1400 - 1800, weekends off. So depending on how "off" my weekends are the closer to 1400 I stay. If I'm maintaining I'm closer to 1600 - 1800, weekends off. I also listen to my body, some days I'm just hungrier than others, generally this is related to TOM and sometimes running. When I first started running I was hungry all the time, but my body seems to have adapted.

If I didn't take the weekends off my cals would be much higher on average, but when I say off I mean off :) Also, I've noticed since getting my Garmin, my burn varies. So one day a 3 mile run will get me 300+ cals and the next time barely 250, so it's just about finding that sweet spot for you.

Did 9 Sunday, 3 yesterday. My 9 was good, but yesterday and today I'm feeling a little run down, may be coming down with a bug - oh well.

ST/Yoga today and 5 tomorrow.

Unna
09-21-2011, 04:03 AM
9 miles is way too many for me - I simply start getting a bit bored - oh, and I also start wimping out (the bigger problem).

I also find myself eating around 1800 calories - though I would like to get it around 1500. I agree that some days are much hungrier than others. I don't really take the weekends off - I mean, I guess I could, but I don't really think about it.

Anyway - a little bit of an intro: I've been running shorter distances (no longer than an 90 minutes) 4-6 times a week on and off for the past year or so. I wasn't counting my calories and was easily maintaining around 170 (I'm a bit taller). Unfortunately, I'm not really sure how much I was eating. But, everyday would include a bit of chocolate, chips, or beer/cocktail.... with sugar in coffee, etc. I would guess somewhere around 2500 cal. a day (in any case, too much). Now I am trying to rid myself of this extra weight that I've been wanting gone for awhile now. I love shorter sprints as calorie-burning cardio. I also have a garmin - which I love!

Thanks for your answers!

MsWannaBSlim
09-21-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm doing a learn to run program. I am running 5 minutes, walking 2.5 x 4 reps at the moment. It's pretty difficult, but I'm going to keep at it. I'm part of a team doing the Run for the Cure (Breast Cancer) so it's for a good cause and to get healthy. It's a 5 K walk/run. I'll definitly be doing a bit of both since I currently take 30 minutes to do just over 2 kms. Oh well, it's a start and there are others on my team that will walk/run with me. Intimidated, but looking forward to it.

jayohwhy
09-21-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm doing a learn to run program. I am running 5 minutes, walking 2.5 x 4 reps at the moment. It's pretty difficult, but I'm going to keep at it. I'm part of a team doing the Run for the Cure (Breast Cancer) so it's for a good cause and to get healthy. It's a 5 K walk/run. I'll definitly be doing a bit of both since I currently take 30 minutes to do just over 2 kms. Oh well, it's a start and there are others on my team that will walk/run with me. Intimidated, but looking forward to it.

good job! as a C25K graduate, i can tell you that running does get easier the longer that you do it, so keep at it, and it is so rewarding!

Unna
09-22-2011, 03:32 AM
So, this week has been going okay, I tried out two new very hilly trails:

8km on Tuesday
6km on Wednesday

I'm not feeling any sorts of pains or terrible hunger.... so that is good!

Thursday will be a break, some light walking around town and core body exercises. I think. I'm going through a "love jogging" phase, so I may decide to do another 6km last minute. I think the phase is caused by the amount of sedentary work I have at the moment. bleh.

One question: If you are doing a somewhat faster, quicker run, do you ever find your lungs weezing a bit? I've noticed it the last few times.... I still have enough breath to continue, it doesn't affect my performance. I once had an asthma attack as a child - but no reoccurences since.... I don't feel I am allergic to anything here...

ange82much
09-22-2011, 04:17 AM
One question: If you are doing a somewhat faster, quicker run, do you ever find your lungs weezing a bit?

i had that earlier this year, every now and then for a couple of months. Don't know what it was, i've never had asthma before, and i've not wheezed recently, and i've never wheezed at anything other than running (cycling/aerobic classes etc). So a bit of a mystery. It also corresponded to pretty cold weather (well, about 8C - which is cold for here!).

That's not helpful to you at all is it?! :shrug:

Unna
09-24-2011, 05:51 AM
Ange - it helps! Its nice to hear I'm not the only one!

I think mine might have more to do with air quality.... not coldness - but who knows. I can often hear the wheezing.... it sounds as if something has "broken loose". But, again, it doesn't effect my performance in a noticeable way.

So, I LOVE fall jogging. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much lighter than in summer!

jayohwhy
09-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Wahoo! Ran 4.15 miles this morning, my longest so far! I was a little scared that i wouldnt be able to do it, but regardless i had to try since im training for a halloween 10k. I cant believe i ran the whole way. Right now im at an 11 minute mile. Im shooting for a 10 min mile so im not that far off. :)

Jojo381972
09-25-2011, 02:12 AM
^I'd love to get to a 10 min mile as well. Congrats on your longest run!

I'm a little late coming into this thread, but I have read it and you girls are really doing a great job this month with the running.

I've been off the site for six months, but I haven't stopped running.
I've been doing a lot of interval training which I find has really helped with increasing my speed. I haven't really increased my distance..but I was working my speed. I'll never be a long distance runner. I do like doing 5km's.
Did a 13 minute mile down from 15mins from six months ago. I'm also up to 4.7mph from 4.2 when started six months to a year ago.

I'm finding that interval/speed training has helped me with getting more fit and increasing my speed/time. Anyone else use HIIT to get results?

Did 2 miles yesterday interval training.

Unna
09-25-2011, 04:28 AM
jayohwhy: congrats! That was no easy run! I've heard speed naturally starts to increase a bit the lighter you become. That sort of makes sense.

Jojo: most do claim it is essential to have another muscle training program for optimal running. I personally do some yoga, squats, lunges, etc.

My boyfriend and I kept running and running yesterday. The Garmin watch clocked us at 10km and approx. 750 calories burned. The weather was sunny, not too warm, and beautiful. But we both totally crashed when we got home.

Something essential I've noticed about running: the sun, even if its not super hot, has a draining power. I also cannot last as long when jogging in the middle of the day vs. jogging in the evening. Jogging in the evening is, for me, much lighter.

Have you guys ever noticed this?

ncuneo
09-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Personally I'm a morning runner, although I occasionally run in the afternoon and my performance is generally unpredictable in the afternoon, just depends on how well I've eaten, slept, etc. I've trained myself to be an early morning runner because that's just what fits best into my schedule and there's nothing like getting an awesome workout in before your day starts and it being done with.

Completely botched my long run today. My body has been begging, screaming for a break and it won today. I've been feeling really run down lately, think I've been fighting off a cold, and it's just one of those periods when running requires a lot of effort and I'm feeling the effects of my milage when I'm not running. So I was supposed to run 9 this morning, but decided before I even hit the pavement I was going to do 5-7 and then I hit the pavement and thought um...maybe 3-5 and the before I knew it I quit at 2! I haven't run 2 miles in forever, but I enjoyed the break and didn't let myself feel one ounce of guilt. So I'm planning on taking it easy the rest of today and hoping this little break will be what I needed.

ange82much
09-25-2011, 07:23 PM
ncuneo - good for you in doing what's sensible! Rest up and you'll come back stronger and enjoy it more.

I had a good run this morning after a couple of weeks of hard-going runs. When i say hard going, i mean my legs felt heavy and tired even though i wasn't asking them to push very hard!

I've been fairly strict on the diet (but not hungry) and i've also started doing squats/lunges again in the last two weeks so i suppose that the sluggish running has something to do with one of those factors.

Anyway, today it felt good again, and i did about 50min first thing this morning at a reasonable clip, so hopefully my body is getting used to the new routines!

I run in the morning in summer because it's too hot the rest of the day, but my favourite time to run (weather permitting) is lunchtime as that's when i'm most awake! I often find it hard to push myself first thing in a morning as i'm too busy congratulating myself for merely managing to get out of bed, so being out of bed early AND giving it my max, is just too much to ask most of the time!! After work at the gym is a good time for me to go hard (but that's in classes - i stay well away from the treadmills!)

indiblue
09-26-2011, 12:42 AM
ncuneo good for you for listening to your body. Hope you have a healthy recovery :)

unna I think I'm the same way. I really like running when it's overcast, or early in the morning/later in the evening.

Did 40 minutes in a new park today. It was lovely. I don't know how far my distance was- 6 or 6.5 km? I don't think running 1-2x a week as I am now is going to get me to reaching any sort of great goals, but it sure does keep me enjoying, and not dreading, running.

Unna
09-26-2011, 02:19 AM
Ncuneo - 9 miles in the early morning? That was your plan? Wow - that is super ambitious. And I'm not even new to running....

In my opinion, every mile is equally as hard - whether it is the first, second, or ninth. That's just the way it is.

One other general thing I've found to be true: if you feel like you are missing your running mojo and have ran hundreds of miles in those shoes, it helps to get some new shoes for extra cushion support. Put them on on those off-days. I also like to put a few new songs on my ipod.

ange82much: I would love to take a jogging vacation in Australia.... hmm maybe I'll have to mention it to my boyfriend - jogging is actually a really great way to see new places.

indiblue Yesterday we also went jogging 6.5km, around 6pm. It was a breeeze, confirming my theory that sunny, afternoon jogging zaps energy.

Because of that, just wandering, to those marathon runners, how do you run so many miles in the afternoon sun????

ange82much
09-26-2011, 04:33 AM
unna - running is a big thing here, you'd love it (but maybe not in summer!). Check out coolrunning.com.au for a really busy website of chat from all different types of runners from newbies, to ultra runners, and track runners, and elites, and everyone else! If you ever want to know anything about running/training/injury management/nutrition/races/gear etc etc etc etc you'll find it there, and get an answer within 30 min if you sign up and ask the question!

ncuneo
09-26-2011, 10:00 AM
All my running is early morning, anything from 3 - 10 miles and even my half marathon training that peaked at 15 miles. I've just conditioned myself to work that way, I'm used to it at this point and kinda always been a morning person. I plan to do the same for my marathon training which starts today! And oddly enough I'm still feeling run down so I'll be doing today's run this afternoon cause I cursed my alarm when it went off at 4am and decided on a little more sleep LOL :).

Unna
09-27-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't think I could get up at 4am if my apartment were on fire. Exactly why I don't think I need kids!

Anyway, ran a fast-ish 6.5km and then did 30 min. ashtanga. I was really sweating! I find ashtanga (the first few vinyasas) is super perfect after running - it really keeps the heart pumping and stretches out the hamstrings and straightens your back again.

I would love to hear other little tips - if you think of any!

Unna
09-29-2011, 04:26 AM
Anyone still running?

I did another quicker 6.5km followed up with yoga.

ange82much
09-29-2011, 05:14 AM
yes, still running. I did 5km this lunchtime and 5km yesterday lunchtime. Nothing to get excited about though!

I normally like to do a long trail run on the weekend (well, long-ish at maybe 2-3hrs with a bit of a walk if the hills get too big!) but the weather forecast this weekend is a shocker so i might just slope off to the gym and do a double spin session or something!

jayohwhy
09-29-2011, 01:34 PM
i ran on monday, even though i was dead tired. however, i went to a gala on tuesday and it ran very late, which made me exhausted last night. i took an extra rest day but made sure to eat healthily and woke up this morning weighing what i weighed before eating too much at the gala. i actually feel much better and more rested for my run today! im still running 4.15 miles today before upping it to 4.5 on sat in prep for my 10k. wish me luck!

mkroyer
09-29-2011, 03:14 PM
had a craptastic 5 milish run sunday.. just crap crap crap
oh well
UNNA- RE; Afternoon sun... number one, i personally PREFER to run in the sun... its nice and warm on my face and arms....I sweat ALOT when i run, like, clothes soaked thoerugh to the bone, so the sunlight is nice, HOWEVER im a morning runner as well..... so i get to see the sunrise sometimes :)
I cant stand running in the even or afternoon.... i always have sucky runs then..ALWAYS..... my brain and body pretty much shut down by 3 pm (like Ncueno,im a VERY early riser)..... And when you are training for a full, there is nothing like the ense of accompolishment from running a half marathon before work in the morning!

mkroyer
09-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Ange- i too have found myself to be a trail runner lately more so than a road runner.... trail running is the ONLY TIME im running (or doing ANYTHING) just for sake of enjoying the moment, in the run, KWIM? I totally unplug, no garmin and music, and i go up to the mountains and enjoy the RUN. i dont know how fast i am, i dont care...... i love struggling up the hills, i love stopping at the top for rewarding views... if i want to walk up a hill, i do, ya know? no judgement..... SIGH.... winters on its way though......... i dont do any trail running once the snow hits the mountains....

fozentusic
09-29-2011, 03:56 PM
I feel so lazy and upset with myself this week. I haven't run since Monday. Weather has been not so nice and I've been up to my eyeballs in grad school work in the evenings. The days are so short now and I don't like running in the dark.

I NEED to make this work into my schedule somehow! I NEED to run. It's good for my mental health as well as physical!

ange82much
09-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Ange- i too have found myself to be a trail runner lately more so than a road runner.... trail running is the ONLY TIME im running (or doing ANYTHING) just for sake of enjoying the moment, in the run, KWIM? I totally unplug, no garmin and music, and i go up to the mountains and enjoy the RUN. i dont know how fast i am, i dont care...... i love struggling up the hills, i love stopping at the top for rewarding views... if i want to walk up a hill, i do, ya know? no judgement..... SIGH.... winters on its way though......... i dont do any trail running once the snow hits the mountains....

yep, totally understand. this is me too. It's totally selfish and gives pure joy for a long period of time. Bring it on!

I never do music either, although i do like my garmin since it's got gps and i can see where i've been and how far (although the pace data can be embarrassing!)

Only trouble with the landscape round here is there's no mountains, but there's a lot of canyon sort of things, so you end up running downhill a lot first, then you can wander round the valleys, but you normally end the run with a big 'up' which you know all through the run that you're going to have to tackle!

Jojo381972
09-29-2011, 11:45 PM
I ran 2 miles of interval training yesterday. 20 minutes 10% incline on the treadmill. Interval training is so awesome. I feel like it is helping me increase my speed and increase my ability to do more every workout. Anyone else do interval training?

Jogged for 30 minutes around the neighborhood tonight (in the rain). You know you are addicted when you feel like **** when you don't run. lol..

Keep running!

ncuneo
09-30-2011, 12:43 AM
So I'm still feeling run down even though I had a great 3 Monday and a really great 5 Wednesday, so I've decided (I think for the first time ever) to take short break and I mean short. I skipped cross training today and plan to skip tomorrow's intervals and Sundays long run and then cone back refreshed Monday. I think I'm a little overtrained at the moment and I have a few overuse injuries that need some proper rest. I'm proud of myself for actually taking this break, even though it's technically my first week of marathon training. I'm not worried though because I extended my program and the milage doesn't get out of my comfort zone for quite a while and I know that missing a long run I've done a bunch of time and am comfortanle with in the early beginning won't matter.

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to the rest and can't wait for Monday's run.

Unna
09-30-2011, 03:51 AM
mkroyer: thanks for your input on the afternoon, direct in the sun, running. It is good to know that most others avoid that time as well by either going very early or in the evening.

Sometimes my boyfriend and I do trails and it really is a different experience from running on a sidewalk or straight path:

jumping over tree roots, eating spiders, wondering when you are going to actually be at the top (or bottom in your case, ange82much). Whenever we go my boyfriend typically jogs first (he is a tad bit faster) and I end up behind him, becoming fixated on his feet.... I am like, in a trance..... moving my feet the exact same way over the roots and such. It is also nice that he goes first cause he can get most the spiderwebs. heehee.

Regarding injuries and running: I noticed, well into my second year (almost 3rd year) of running pretty regularly that, particularly in the first year to 2 years, I would find myself with those "overused" injuries. I always had some pain, whether it was a knee or my foot arch or toe rubbing another toe or aching legs before I slept, etc. Now I find those issues have all really become quite non-existent. My body handles it differently - it has toughened up (but only after 2 long, often painful years). Maybe its just me.... Anyone else noticed this?

Well, Thursday was a no-go. First day of TOM, filled with pain meds. Today is better and we are planning an evening run around the park (9km). I tend to have the most energy for running in the evening, around 6/7pm. I wake up at 6am everyday and sleep at 10pm. I admire you 4am 'ers! You guys are inspiring, really. I think about you if I'm feeling like not going out.... I think "There are people on 3FC that wake up at 4am to go running! Get your butt out the door!"

Emme
09-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi fellow runners!

ncuneo ~ Good for you for taking a quick break.
unna ~ Glad your day is better today!
fozentusic ~ Get out there, girl! :hug: You are right...it is so good for you both physically and mentally.
mkroyer ~ I was glad to see your post...I was wondering how you were doing after your injury

I ran at 6:00 this morning in 30-40 mph winds...it was quite interesting! I was fine, but there is a section of my run that is right by a wide open field, so I was getting tons of wind in my face...cold wind!! I, like ncuneo, am a morning runner. I like to just get it out of the way, and there's just something about starting out in the dark and seeing the sunrise. I really enjoy it and it's my peaceful time. I'm still just running 3.1 miles on my runs (I just started running about 6 weeks ago), but I love running outside and I would like to eventually extend the length of my runs, and I'm kinda bummed that the cold/winter is quickly approaching. I really don't want to have to run on the treadmill. :(

jayohwhy
09-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Arrrg

i had quite an evening last night. i was really tired but i went on my run and actually made good time and enjoyed myself. however, at the end my left knee started hurting and then i tripped and fell.

i went back home and the washing machine wasnt doing its final spin and i was so ticked. i stayed up trying to fix it even though i had a job interview today, AND my husband brought home in n out and it took all my self control not to eat the protein style cheeseburger with grilled onions that he ordered for me-- i had del taco for dinner and had already eating my 1470 calories for the day.

however, today is a new day and the interview went well. then i am at work icing my knee-- thank goodness i keep ice packs in my classroom. i am still planning on extending my run to 4.86 miles tomorrow and will try to take it easy so i could finish. i'm still at a 11 minute mile, though, and would either like to maintain or better my time.

mkroyer
09-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Ncueno--- WHoawhoawhoa.... back up a sec..
First of all, i had no iea you "officially" decided to run a marathon!! Congrats!!
SECOND: what do you mean you "extended" your training plan...... please elaborate... what does is look like, how long (many weeks), longest distances, etc, please

ncuneo
09-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks MK!

So by extended I mean I took Hals 18 wk Novice 2 plan and added an extra 20 miler with a cut back week and in the begining of the plan I added a slower build up to 18 miles because I felt more comfortable with a slower build up. Additionally about the first 6 weeks of the program aren't really any additional miles then I would run anyway, I just kinda labeled them as "official" training runs so I feel like I'm in training mode and it's fun to say "I'm training" LOL. So I'm not sure I can really say I'm in an extended program.

Week 1
3/Cross/5/Cross/Rest/Walk/Rest
Week 2
3/Cross/5/Cross/3/Walk/9
Week 3
3/Cross/5/Cross/3/Walk/10
Week 4
3/Cross/6/Cross/3/Walk/11
Week 5
3/Cross/6/Cross/3/Walk/12
Week 6
3/Cross/6/Cross/3/Walk/9
Week 7
3/Cross/6/Cross/3/Walk/13
Week 8
4/Cross/7/3/4/Walk/14
Week 9
3/Cross/6/Cross/4/Walk/9
Week 10
4/Cross/7/Cross/4/Walk/15
Week 11
4/Cross/6/Cross/4/Walk/9
Week 12
4/Cross/7/Cross/4/Walk/16
Week 13
4/Cross/7/Cross/4/Walk/13
Week14
4/Cross/8/Cross/4/Walk/17
Week 15
5/Cross/8/Cross/4/Walk/13
Week 16
5/Cross/8/Cross/4/Walk/18
Week 17
5/Cross/8/Cross/5/Walk/13
Week 18
5/Cross/5/Cross/5Walk/19
Week 19
5/Cross/8/Cross/5/Walk12
Week 20
5/Cross/5/Cross/5/Walk/20
Week 21
5/Cross/8/Cross/5/Walk/12
Week 22
5/Cross/5/Cross/5/Walk/20
Week 23
5/Cross/4/Cross/5/Walk/12
Week 24
4/Cross/3/Cross/4//Walk/8
Week 25
3/Cross/2/Cross/2/Walk/26.2RACE!

CherryPie99
09-30-2011, 05:24 PM
What a way to end the month. Ran 3 miles at lunch today. Once again, beat my old personal best. 32:20. It started sprinkling after mile 1, and by the time I hit 2.5 it was really raining (so much for sunny with a 10% chance of rain weather channel!) - This obviously made me speed up, because my last mile I ran in 9:54!! When I started running outside in May, I was running 14:30 minute miles, so this was SOOOOO exciting to me!

ange82much
09-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Great start to the month for me with a beautiful trail run this morning. Only 10km but still good to get out there before the forecasted storm front hits us this afternoon.

Kangeroos hopping across in front of me, flashes of colour from parrots swooping past and quite a few feet-wet stream crossings, so all good fun.

And now i'm sat having a large cup of tea. Heavenly start to the day!!!

My backside felt achy though after going hard at spin class last night, in fact when i woke up this morning i could feel my quads were aching before i'd even got out of bed - so didn't do too badly considering that start!!

Off to BodyPump (weights class) at the gym with hubby this afternoon so the legs haven't finished for the day yet!

Hope October brings some great running to everyone!

hdallas78
09-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Everyone is doing so well!!

I haven't been on in a while but I'm hanging in there with the half marathon training. I overtrained a bit while I was just "winging it" so I downloaded a training program an have been doing pretty well with it. My pace is staying with in the 10:30 and 11:30 range. My long run this week is going to be 6, which is not too bad. I've been struggling with my diet lately - it seems like I am always starving. Livestrong has me at 1380 calories/day for a 1 lb per week loss. I had my first binge in months tonight. Maybe I need to up my intake to closer to 1500. Any who, can you believe it is time to start the October thread? This year is flying by!

dyanhoshi
12-02-2012, 06:26 AM
i start running since 3 months ago.. n now i lost almost 10kgs. with reducing food intake at the same time, which i take only 2 times a day (lunch n dinner with limited intake.. i usually skip my breakfast as i always running out of time.. work load!) my running routines is 4 days in a week.. minimum distance 3km (if i am soooo tired) and maximum is 6.5km. in fact i wana make it 10km for each run. my problem here... i always getting tired tho my stamina is still there n my heart beat also still in normal rythm, especially when my running reach 5km, i have to force myself to run till 6km. after 6.5km i cant run anymore coz my leg too tired already. anybody here could help me in how to encounter this problem? may b any suggested supplement? my weight now is seem to stop reducing. i believe if i increase my running distance i could reduce more kg. help me please.... (sorry if my english is too bad n hardly to understand)