Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 12:16 AM   #1  

Default Needing some ideas....

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this thread (BFL), and not sure where to begin. I've read the book - (excellent and super motivating)!

My problem is that I don't have alot of money to join a gym

I'm wanting to begin this program, and following the food program won't be difficult ( I plan to premake my meals and freeze them) - however, the weights and cardio parts is what I'm looking for help with.

I can afford to buy SOME weights.. unfortunately, not a gym type machine or a treadmill -( i might be able to buy a good treadmill from a relative).

What equipment can anyone suggest that i start with? I've been sedentary my whole life (i'm 33) and i have a good 100lbs to lose. I currently have one of those ball things, pilate video, leg weights (10lb each), tae bo video, and one of those tension strap things (the proper name escapes me at the moment).... you get the idea.

Last question, being from canada, I can't find the myoplex shakes suggested in the book, and I've read the advice to stay clear of the slimFAT shakes - any other canadians out there that can suggest an appropriate shake available up here?

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou for all the posts here - they are truely invaluable to someone who is starting out and doesn't know sh*t about what she's doing!!

I'm planning to take the dreaded pics and measurements tonight. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2003, 12:19 AM   #2  

Ohh.. one more thing...

I have access to a 96% soy protein powder, however, being hypothyroid (medicated), I've read somewhere that soy interfere's with the meds..... any advice on that?
Old 01-27-2003, 06:52 AM   #3  

Heya!

First off, check out www.leanandstrong.com and go to the "regional" boards. there is one dedicated to canada

You can find Myoplex etc. if you want, but you really dont need it and its just expensive if you dont have much $$ to begin with.

You really dont need to join a gym to do BFL All you need is a good set of weights (I believe someone suggested 3lbs to 30 as a good set to get you thru the challenge) and a place to use them.

Not sure about cardio for you, as I use a bike and tredmill myself, but I wager you could find a good used stationary bike in the classifieds or at a place like Play It Again sports. It doesnt have to be high tech or anything, it just has to work.

Since you want to loose ~100lbs I would suggest you NOT run or jog (from experiance here) as it could hurt your legs :S

I cant help you with you 2nd question tho! I would suggest you speak to your doctor about it though. I think most ppl use Whey protien rather than soy as it is.

Good luck!

Tidey
Old 01-27-2003, 05:16 PM   #4  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Changin,

I would suggest that you run if you want to. I don't see why you should restrict running at a high weight. I started out at 217lbs and was running from day one albeit a bit slow! I did suffer from shin splints at first but they went away after I lost about 30lbs.

JC
Old 01-27-2003, 05:29 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Changin',

Welcome.... I am Canadian too Eastern Ontario here.... Soy Protein is not a complete protein, so you don't have to worry about taking that.... Whey is much better..... and what's even better is pure, clean food, you don't really need any of the protein powders, bars, shakes, etc.... the bars have too much sugar content, I used them RARELY.... or on free day for a treat because they ARE a SWEET treat......

Just a suggestion for the cardio try walking outside or in a mall using a stop watch to get yourself to your 10's..... In our town we have an arena where you can walk every day in climate control....

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask and go check out www.leanandstrong.com excellent site we all hang around there too pretty much....

Toodles...
Old 01-28-2003, 08:30 AM   #6  

Default Cheap Equipment

I have been doing BFL since July and I have yet to step inside a gym. I am fortunate that I could outfit myself at the beginning with weights and a bench (I already had a treadmill).

If money is tight then I think the absolute basics for working out at home BFL style are:
1. Stopwatch
2. A good set of shoes (especially if you have ankle, hip or knee issues)
3. A sturdy bench (check the classifieds for used) - some people like flat benches - I like my adjustable
4. A set of dumbbells. Powerblocks (do a web search) may be in your price range or if they aren't - then dumbbells in lower weight increments might be. You can buy what you need now and as you need more weight you can add on to your collection. I call this approach "I'm into heavy metal."

Oh - those ankle weights - don't use them. They create too much stress on the joints in ways that you don't need. I use mine to weight down salmon when I make Gravlax.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:50 AM   #7  

i use a whey protein shake instead of the other brand. I can get it cheaper. i started the program with the weights i had and so far those are good. I have 2-5-8-10 pound dumbells. i combine the 2 and 10 to make it a little heavier when needed. my muscles are all sore! i do plan to buy a set of 15 pounds when and if i get the money. as far as cardio i have a step and a bunch of exercise videos that i use. i'm going pretty cheap too for now. ask for what you need for holidays- birthdays x-mas valentine's day. it works for me!
Old 01-28-2003, 05:50 PM   #8  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Sometimes when I cant get to the gym and it is a cardio day, I will turn on the music and dance my heart out, or/and go up and down the first two steps on my staircase. It really works well. I also have an old old old adjustable bench, really too high for me, a set of light weights, and a barbell set (100lbs). Also my hubby got me a York complete gym for CHristams. It's not great but it does the trick. Also walking outside is the greatest cardio. Good clean fresh air, climbing over snow for the calf muscles, just watch out for the ice. I also go for a swim every once in a while.
Check your local paper, there are always people selling benches cheap, and other equip. too. Play it again, or ONce again sports also have gently used equipment for sale.
Where in Canada are you from, I am from Nova Scotia!
Virginia
Old 01-29-2003, 12:41 AM   #9  

Thankyou, everyone, for all your great ideas !!

We have a play-it-again sports here, so i'll definately check it out tomorrow.

Wannalosealot - I'm in Alberta, a ways away from you, but from what I hear, sharing the same type of weather

Spamtravels - thanks for the heads-up on the ankle weights.. these are ten pounds a piece.. (borrowed from a friend) - I guess you never think about the consequences of these things until you hear from others who give you the great advice.

Lanaii1 - Whey protien? It is tasteless? Can you add it to a morning shake type thing? Eg - fruit and ice, maybe milk? I'd imagine you'd buy it at health food stores..... expensive?? A friend offered her exercise bike when she gets her elliptical - hopefully it will be soon!!!

Tideypoo - well, as for my last question - I guess seeing that soy protien isn't a complete protien, it's not something I should be taking anyway.... hehehe. Thankyou for the advice on the running, and I've been checking out leanandstrong's site - WHAT A MOTIVATOR!!..

Again - thankyou all for the replies - Its nice to know there are ppl out there who are willing to welcome you, help you and encourage you to take the steps when your not sure how to go about things.

I look forward to hangin' around this forum and getting to know you all.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:22 AM   #10  

Wow! whats with all the canadians here? LOL

Im from Manitoba, but I live in Sweden now (moved for love *g*)

Just about everyone I know lives in Calgary now, so I will be out that way this summer visiting and camping

IM on C1D10 (yeah! ROCK! *uNF*) and I THINK Im actually showing a bit of fat loss already, and it may just be my imagination but I think my bicepts are getting more definition

A friend of my SO's has a gf who I sometimes chat with online, and she had the NERVE to tell me that lifting weights would make me look unfeminine. *boggle* Apparently I should be going to WW with her and not exercise so much.

Well, she can stick to weight watchers and be hungry all day. Im going to enjoy my 6 meals and when we both reach our "goal" weights I will be muscular and sleek while she will have to hit gym. Unfeminine? *huff*

Tidey
Old 01-29-2003, 07:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi All -

Toronto pipin' in, just to give us the whole Canadian perspective!

I bought a gigantic 2 kg. bottle of vanilla flavoured Whey protein at Costco for $30.77. Figure it'll do my DH and I for Month #1. Can't say it tastes great, but we blend it up in a blender with ice water, ice, a banana and a tablespoon of fat free/sugar free chocolate pudding mix. Not bad then.

BethO
Old 01-29-2003, 10:03 AM   #12  

How cool is the fact there's alot of canadians on the board???? YAAAYY!!!

I'm going to go shopping to day to Play it Again, check out the weights.. and perhaps to Costco to check out the whey protien. I figure that using the whey for some of the meals will be more convenient at times as next week i'll be starting school, and I work part-time (two jobs currently, but will be dropping one by this weekend because of school). My mother is visiting, and she has the costco card so I want to take advantage of that fact while i can

TIDEYPOO - Just remember that when this chick is still trying to lose her weight with WW, starving and STILL looks jiggly, - smile, flex a bicep here or there, and feel confident with your progess!!! YAAAAY FOR YOU!!! It's too bad that uninformed ppl need to express thier uninformed opinions about something they have obviously no idea about. I mean... sheesh.. even I know that more muscle burns more fat and is one hundred times healthier!!

By the way.. sweden? wow... Good for you! How long have you been there?

BethO - I'm going to look for that whey protien today - I'll try recipe for sure!
Old 01-29-2003, 10:20 AM   #13  

Hey, Changin!

I am in my 3rd week of C1. I know how the tight $$ situation can be!!! Check out the Krista Smash web site that MrsJim listed in the sticky at the beginning of the BfL forum. Krista has a lot of great suggestions for ways to provide yourself with weights, etc. for little to no $$.

Good luck w/the program!

Cheryl (not a Canadian, but I'd love to visit the country someday!!)
Old 01-29-2003, 10:49 AM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Jeez....Weight Watchers. (hopefully I don't offend people - I know there are a lot of WW attendees on the 3FC board and some lurk here but just gotta say this). The commercials for WW I've seen crack me up - you know the ones where they show the point value of each food they put in their mouth? Like a slice of pizza - 7 points. If you have 21 points for the day, there goes 1/3 of your points right there! I would STARVE to death if I was doing WW - I've done it in the past actually and remember being constantly hungry and eventually cheating. Just rambling here - it's been a long day and it's still morning here in Miami...

Changin - feel free to ask any questions you might have - we're all here to help each other!!!
Old 01-29-2003, 12:37 PM   #15  

I know that WW works for some people but I stuck to my points for a month and a half. I lost not only 5lbs, I also lost my period. It took me 3 months to have it back normally. Obviously it was NOT helping my body.

Im only in the middle of week two but I feel better than I EVER have!!!

Changin': I moved here on exchange in '98/'99 for a year of school. I was 17. Then I moved back in Feb 2000 (18) and have been here ever since. Its pretty challeneging sometimes, with the adjustment and being really lonely but thank HEAVEN for teh internet!

I did my 20MAS again today, but I got a stupid cramp in my side in minute 18 so my 10 became a 6 pretty quickly. *makes a face*
Usually I can push thru a bit of discomfort but this was one of those breathing ones, where if you try to breath it hurts like youre going to have a heart attack, and I just could NOT do it without passing out heh. I will do better next time!

Tidey
Closed Thread