Weight Loss Support - I Hate Being The Fat Friend

View Full Version : I Hate Being The Fat Friend

sexychick
08-31-2011, 02:16 PM
One thing I hate about being overweight is the fact that I am always the fat one out of all of my friends. It makes me feel so self conscious, like I just want to go somewhere and hide from the world! :mad:

PreciousMissy
08-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Use that as your motivation to stay on plan!!!

runningfromfat
08-31-2011, 02:22 PM
I've always hated that too. I agree, use it as motivation!!!

sexychick
08-31-2011, 02:23 PM
@preciousmissy thank you

irishcanary
08-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Being the fat friend makes me even not to want bother going out most of the time. This shouldn't be the way, im 21.

Yeah nothing motivates me more than the day when one of my friends IS the fat one.

IrishIndian
08-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Saaammmmeeee heeerrrreeeee! It seems like I always get along with the thinner girls better than the curvy ones. Oh well, when I get paid on monday I'm going to get Intensity and work my booty off so that I can be the hottest little Eskimo at my friends halloween party! I can't wait to be one of the 'normal' sized friends and not get noticed just because I'm bigger. :)

twinieten
08-31-2011, 09:42 PM
.....And when you go out with your totally hot friend and the men just flock around her from the second you walk in the door, and next thing you know you're sitting alone like a lonely little pathetic wallflower......I'm married so, it's not like I'm looking to meet anyone, but it's still nice to be noticed, and that made me feel really bad! I actually stopped going out with that friend because of that, unless it was something with our kids or the movies or something. It's one thing to not be noticed, and something else to be totally ignored because she's enjoying the attention way too much, and seemed to enjoy being the pretty one way too much. Insensitive.

I've kind of avoided the social scene for awhile. However, now I go out with some new friends, I'm not *the* fat friend. I'm one of the girls because we're all fat, but I hope to be the thin friend soon!

Loli
09-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Even though, I am not overweight by most standards. I am still the fat friend. I totally get it.

hometowngirl
09-01-2011, 10:57 AM
I totally understand. I can't wait to at least be the normal size friend.

Beach Patrol
09-01-2011, 11:24 AM
I've been the fat friend, the skinny friend, the in-between friend. The important thing is this: STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO YOUR FRIENDS. Learn to make peace with your body while at the same time, loving it enough to do what's good & healthy for it. Enjoy your time out, no matter who else is there, and work on your self-esteem. Remember that you are MORE than "just a body". You have a mind, a heart, a spirit, all the things that make up "wonderful you."

NEVER LET YOUR BODY IMAGE STOP YOU FROM PARTICIPATING IN YOUR OWN LIFE. (Trust me, that's good advice!)

:hug:

TransformingMyself
09-01-2011, 12:38 PM
I know how you feel. I have been struggling with my weight for 15 years. Within that time, I have been the fat friend, sister and mom. First off you need to know, you are beautiful inside and out. Don't let your weight get to you. Be happy with yourself, lose the weight and never look back.

I started my new lifestyle 2 months ago today. I have accomplished a lot in that time frame. As of today, I have lost 30 lbs, gained confidence, energy and started training for a 5k (which is in 3 weeks!). I haven't been this happy in a long time. Keep pushing forward, and ask yourself each day "what do I want more?" You will do great! :hug:

Laneyy
09-01-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm with BeachPatrol. Stop comparing yourself. Everyone is different, everyone is unique, everyone is sexy in their own way. You just have to find your sexy. Be confident, let your personality shine.

Honestly. I've gotten a lot more attention than my "skinny" friends because I'm so confident with who I am.

Let it work FOR you, not against you. Use it as your motivation.

sontaikle
09-01-2011, 01:05 PM
I've been the fat friend, the skinny friend, the in-between friend. The important thing is this: STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO YOUR FRIENDS. Learn to make peace with your body while at the same time, loving it enough to do what's good & healthy for it. Enjoy your time out, no matter who else is there, and work on your self-esteem. Remember that you are MORE than "just a body". You have a mind, a heart, a spirit, all the things that make up "wonderful you."

NEVER LET YOUR BODY IMAGE STOP YOU FROM PARTICIPATING IN YOUR OWN LIFE. (Trust me, that's good advice!)

THIS x1000! Perfect Advice!

Harriette
09-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Even though, I am not overweight by most standards. I am still the fat friend. I totally get it.

I think you need new friends if you are the fat one! You are already less than my goal weight and the same height so unless you have tiny bones you are certainly not fat since I am not fat anymore :D

H82Sweat
09-01-2011, 02:39 PM
What else are you among your friends? The kindest one? Best sense of humor? Most up on current events?

Building confidence doesn't only come from weight loss. You need to find the things within/about you that are special and focus on them. Work from your strengths. Learn that you are valuable.

"It's much easier to love yourself to good health than it is to hate yourself thin."

Mimzzy
09-01-2011, 02:51 PM
I think I just hate that I am the most uncomfortable with my body. I am the one who feel the most self-conscious about my size, even though I am not the biggest one of my friends.

What I really hate is being bigger then most of my co-workers. I work in a clothing retail store and most of my co workers and beautiful and of course smaller then me. They are always complaining about how fat they are!!! If they think they are fat then they must think I am obese :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to not being the bigger one!

runningfromfat
09-01-2011, 03:32 PM

I do think this is very good advice. I will say that at least for me it's not so much about comparing myself to my friends but sometimes feeling left out on certain conversation. When I was at my heaviest I couldn't shop at the same stores so help with clothing didn't always work. I couldn't keep up physically with them for certain things also. Just stuff like that. It's not always about comparing yourself to other people. ;)

Loli
09-01-2011, 04:25 PM

As for me, I don't let it affect my happiness or my activities. It is what it is. My friends are smaller than me. I'm not comparing myself. It's just a fact. It's a fact that I don't look as slim as they do in our photos. It's a fact that I don't wear bikinis to the pool when they do. It's a fact that I have to shop for larger sizes when we go shopping. I still have a good time and I know in my mind that I'm working hard to look and feel better, and it's going to pay off. But I still don't like the fact that I'm the "fat friend". :)

Loli
09-01-2011, 04:33 PM
I think you need new friends if you are the fat one! You are already less than my goal weight and the same height so unless you have tiny bones you are certainly not fat since I am not fat anymore :D

LOL! Yes, actually I do have a very small frame. I can not wear most bracelets because they slip right off my wrists, no matter what my weight. (Mmmm, I wonder if I could slip out of handcuffs.) Also, I have a very high percentage of body fat - thanks to my apple shape and my beautiful and LARGE three babies. :)

And my friends are pretty thin but I think it's their body shape that works so much in their favor. :)

9jachic
09-01-2011, 11:56 PM
I personally hate being the fat friend. I hate feeling like I am not even noticed. In remember when I was smaller people noticed me but now I am so not noticed. Its funny, the bigger you are the less noticeable... life is funny

sexychick
09-02-2011, 12:15 AM
@9jachic I know exactly how you feel it seems like the smaller you are the more noticeable you are.

Andynoo
09-02-2011, 12:49 AM

this is truely beautiful advice... :)

9jachic
09-08-2011, 12:06 AM
That really is awesome advice. Love it. Its going to be my FB status update

LiannaKole
09-08-2011, 02:25 AM
Yep. I have always, always been the fat one. At one time my brother was bigger than me. He lost weight when he hit puberty. I remember my dad telling me I was gonna grow up fat. Guess he was right.

I've never hated my body until I got to my high weight and it became physically uncomfortable to be in my flesh. Now I feel the same way, having been quite a bit smaller than I am now. But I do get sad sometimes when guys hit on my petite friends and ignore me (or worse, chat with me in hopes of hooking up with one of the others).

I think the main issue of being the fat friend is that I'm still fat. I don't like being fat. I feel claustrophobic under all of this. I feel like I need to be quick and light. Makes me feel nauseous even now because I'm not. I don't like being weighed down, I guess.

And it's worse because one of my friends (who is very attractive) is insecure a lot of the time and LOVES that I'm fatter that her. She panicked one time when I lost a great deal of weight. She thinks it's great I'm losing weight so long as I don't get anywhere near what she is (she's like 115 lbs). It's annoying. And she'll always ditch me if we go out. So I don't go out with her. We do other things that don't bring out that side of her.

melodymist
09-08-2011, 02:34 AM

Its hard to do. How many times have I chickened out of a social event because everyone will be swimming oR showing off skin?

But I think it's time.

NO LONGER WILL I FEAR SUMMER :carrot: