Weight Loss Support - A little reassurance

View Full Version : A little reassurance

fatferretfanatic
08-29-2011, 12:58 PM
I am living on the Mexican border in Arizona with my parents while my husband is in basic training for the Navy. My time here has been a huge success, and in the past month, I've lost like 13 lbs. Great! But, last week my father and I ate some cheese made from unpasturized goat milk from Mexico, which was delicious, but we both got salmonella poisoning. My first day, and my worst, I had to go to the ER with serious abdominal cramps, diarrhea and vomiting and I was also passing in and out of consciousness. It was seriously scary. I feel mostly better, but this is an illness that lingers and I could be having a few minor issues for a month or more. Ugh! I have also been holding on to some serious water weight (I am assuming, because I have been eating within my cals and exercising). I went from 221 to 225 within two days! Ugh! I know that it's not real weight, but from people who have had a serious illness like this, I'd like to get your take on it and what happened to you-or even opinions from anyone. My father lost weight, due to his bout of it, but I have gained. Could it just be some rehydration issues? I drink plenty of water, and again, exercise and eat within my calories. :?:

mzKiki
08-29-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm assuming you were given IV fluids at the hospital.It could be your body simply retaining water. I say just focus on getting better and don't even worry about what the scale says & NEVER eat or drink anything that hasn't been pasteruized!!!
I'm glad you guys are ok.

runningfromfat
08-29-2011, 02:36 PM
I live in a developing country and have had some major digestional issues before too. Yep, water weight. Just focus on getting better right now. If it's going to bother you don't weigh/measure for a bit until things settle down. I hope you feel better soon!

sacha
08-29-2011, 03:10 PM
My only advice is to AVOID the scale in times of sickness (particularly when dehydration and hospitalization occurs). Your body's fluid levels are so wacky you cannot get a proper picture.

Here's my story.
Walked into hospital at 163lbs.
3 days later, delivered nearly 10lb baby boy
Walked out of the hospital at 165lbs and nothing but a small toast breakfast.

Wow, that was sad! LOL! Who the **** gains 2lbs after birthing a baby? But an illustration of what can happen when dehydration and re-hydration (ie. IV fluids) are pumped in your body.

fatferretfanatic
08-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks, all. Yes, I had to have IV fluids, and also some sort of fluid pumped into me via IV so that I could have a CT scan done. Good advice guys-I'll try and avoid the scale, keep on trying to do my best and then check when everything calms down more. This is a little tricky, since it's been since last tues when I went to the ER, and so Ive been feeling good and bad since it happened. I ran five miles yesterday and did kettlebells the day before that, and I'll probably run a few miles today, but hopefully that water retention will taper off soon

sacha
08-29-2011, 03:56 PM
It can take several weeks for your fluid levels to re-balance after IV's, I'd suggest waiting for quite some time :)

indiblue
08-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Nothing more in the advice category, just wanted to say CONGRATS on the great loss and I'm sorry you had such a scary illness! I live in India, a country with such poor food safety standards that another name for food poisoning gets its namesake from the capital ("Delhi Belly"). I know how awful it can be, though I haven't had it as bad as you did, so just wanted to extend a :hug:. Congrats on the recovery and keep up the great work :)

Lovely
08-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Wow! I don't have advice, but I wanted to give you a :hug:

I'm sorry you were ill and so glad to hear you and your father are recovering!