Simply Filling/Core - New pages for our chat Aug29th-Sept 4th

jojo23
08-29-2011, 03:58 AM
Where the heck is the year going? Autumn (fall) already and Christmas just around the corner, if you go by what is in the shops

Tejas
08-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the new pages, Jojo. This part of the year is dragging for me this year, with this endless heat. I might go look for Christmas items just to assure myself that it might get cooler. It was 110F at 6PM on Friday. Oh well, it is feeling a tiny bit cooler in the mornings.

I went to two events where there was food this weekend and I didn't have the best control. I wasn't awful, but I'm not getting on the scales!

My niece's children went to University in Brattleboro, VT and know that building that is hanging over the water very well. I've seen it too--sad that they lost those 100 + year old bridges.

nancy237
08-29-2011, 10:39 AM
jojo..I understand even better now when you would post about getting through all the first of the first year without your daughter..

The cooler air brings the memories of how life was so great last fall. Robin had recovered from the severe back problem the year before, the double knee surgery & his hand reconstrucion. We were finally able to travel & enjoy family . We were dreaming about that cabin on our land and making a 5 year plan to built it.. Sending son to college..Robin was teaching me to shot a 22 .Then the diagnosis on Dec 20th.

Maybe that is better than this spring when the "last year this time " memories will be the cancer nightmare.

I feel like it is less raw most of the time but then waves of intense stuff comes through and I feel like I did that last day at the hospital. I wonder if some people never recover their joy..I know I will survive, make it, carryon. What choice do I have ?? But I think my heart will grieve this forever.

Tejas
08-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Well, Nancy, yes. It's 25 years after my husband's death and I still grieve that loss.

Cancer IS a nightmare. My husband was told in mid-May that they didn't see any cancer in his body and 6 weeks later he died. We had been planning for a baby. It does get much less raw, but I remember, and bring back, the sights and sounds and smells from both the good and the not-good times. In my opinion, as long as you/we remember that each day is a gift, to be lived as well as possible and in a way that honors the loved one, all is as well as it is going to be. :hug:

ontarget
08-29-2011, 01:52 PM
:hug:

pam920
08-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Hello chicks. Glad everyone survived Irene.

I haven't lost this week. I am so bored, here in KY. Can't wait to get back to Florida. We leave for Vegas in 2 wks, so I look forward to that. Then eye exam the beginning of Oct and then back to Florida. I see my cardio dr. next week. I hope he doesn't remember he told me to lose weight, because I've gain 5 lbs lol.

I get in slight depression when I think about all my family members that are no longer with us. I'm the oldest generation now and I miss them so much.

Nancy, you are doing so well. I'm not sure if I would be able to say the same.

Sandra, congrats on losing another 2 lbs. You are doing fantastic.

Rhonda, I hope you get relief from that awful heat soon.

Maryann, sorry about your family but glad they are okay.

Vickie, hang in there girl.

ontarget
08-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Pam, I changed my cardiologist appt from Sept to Jan. Hope I have some weight off by then. He wants me to lose 50 lbs. That's not going to happen but maybe the challenge 20.

It's been a lowkey day today. I'm op. Life is good.

jojo23
08-29-2011, 08:48 PM
I know Nancy, and I wish I could tell you what to do. Sometimes the memories are so vivid they are heartbreaking. Just go with the flow love, cry when you feel the tears, don't bottle it up. I remember letting them go in a supermarket and the girl on the till was just so understanding. You see a whole new side of people.

Tejas
08-29-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm watching the National Geographic program on 9-11. They are doing an entire week of programming. I recommend it to you.

Tejas
08-30-2011, 08:28 AM
RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dancer: :rain: :dance:

beach bum
08-30-2011, 11:02 AM
I'M BACK,THE POWER WAS RESTORED IN MY AREA THIS MORNING,BUT THE SAD THING I HAD TO DUMP ALL MY FOOD IN THE FREEZER & REFRIG,[COULDN'T SAFE IT] WHEN SO MANY PEOPLE ARE STARVING IN THE COUNTRY BECAUSE OF THE ECONOMY.

Alice got here electric yesterday and moved out yesterday morning, and my other friends didn't lose there power.Funny all power around is were on, except for my street that is on one of the main streets in our town. I called the emergency number on my cell and they told me to call tomorrow,than I hear that we will be with out power until Friday,and than Walla the power came on.It was almost like find a precious jewel or gem that I found. Gee!! are we spoiled without power and all they equipment we use that needs it.

My DD lost 10 tall trees but only three were close to the house,I tried to call her but I think she still out of power.My DS is at work and was happy to hear my electricity was restored. He has power also,as he lives in the NY city.

Will come back tomorrow when I have some time,just wanted to let you know I'm ok and will be able to go back to normal living.

Have a great day

Tejas
08-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Maryann, glad to hear that all is well with you and yours. It's sad to lose trees but not when so much more could have been lost, and was lost by so many.

ontarget
08-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Maryann, I'm glad you're safe. Ten trees is a lot to lose, but as Rhonda said in the big scheme of things your daughter was lucky.

I made chicken/dressing for lunch today. Eating celery is very very noisy.

Tejas
08-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Sandra, I bought some organic celery yesterday and the taste, the smell, the crunch were so much better than the ordinary. It's worth looking for.

Vickie
08-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Mary Ann, I'm glad you're well and have power. I still haven't heard from my family in New Jersey.

Rhonda, I'll look for the celery. I still LOVE Sandra for a million reasons but one is that she turned me on to Ranier cherries. I await them eagerly every year. Do you just eat your celery plain?

Tejas
08-30-2011, 09:40 PM
The organic celery doesn't hold a candle to Ranier cherries!

I eat it plain. I would have had hummus with it, but it had been in the 'fridge too long. I also add it to my green shakes.

nancy237
08-30-2011, 11:04 PM
I went and talked to a local gym about a membership tonight. The YMCA we went to before is too crowded at night and its hard to get on the equipment needed. They have a special which ends tomorrow (of course !!) Its 34 a month unless I want towel service which is 39/month. Out of town guests can go with me which is nice. For a bit more I can exercise at any 02 when I travel..I need to look online to see where they are ..

I hope exercising in the evening will help me with the long lonely evenings and help me lose weight.

Maryann..I posted earlier but it went where all those lost posts go..I am so glad you are okay ..I am sorry about the food..I hate wasting food also.

Here is to a less dramatic end to 2011 :cheers:

jojo23
08-31-2011, 01:17 AM
Relieved to hear from you Maryann. Hope you catch up with your family soon Vickie From what I've seen of NJ on the news, it looks like it will take a while to get back to normal.

Tejas
08-31-2011, 10:23 AM
There are huge fires (again) in the area less than an hour west of here. Another major cost of the drought.

Nancy, good luck with your exercising. It took me a long time to get into the groove but now I just HAVE to be there.

I have guests coming for the Labor Day holiday so I'm cleaning house like a mad woman, and taking the dog to the groomer today. Back later...have a great day everyone.

I gained a pound but I'm ignoring it and drinking a lot of water. I think this weekend is going to be rough on my goals!

beach bum
08-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Good Morning Ladies:)

What a beautiful day we have no humidity that I can breath again.Going down to the beach and get my walking done. The beaches are quite now,with only the seagulls & the wave crashing .

My poor DD really got hit she doesn't even have power for her cell phone as the towers are not working. She had to call me yesterday in the playground area of her property to get her phone to work and while she was talking a bat started hovering around her & the GC,along with the mosquitoes biting. Gee!! I thought I was hearing a scary movies being played instead of my DD in her back yard.

Thanks Ladies for your concern. The only good thing about the storm was I stayed at 164 and I'm hoping to lose by the end of the week as I still not eating like I did before IRENE after having the tummy/gut problem.

I'm not buying in bulk anymore I'm just going to buy what I need for the week. This stocking up in the freezer & refrig is not a good idea,unless you are stocking up on can foods.

NANCY-That's one thing I had to cry wasting all the food,as it brought back memories of when I was a child we didn't have the food we wanted if it wasn't for my mother & father to sacrifice for my sister & I.I learned my lesson Like I posted above no more bulk food buying for me anymore. I start with my walking group Sept 13th, they walk for 1hr so I will bring my knee & ankle brace while walking.

OK I have to go,have a nice day

ontarget
08-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks, Rhonda. I'll look for the organic celery.

I'm on break at school. Got to run.

ontarget
08-31-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm at lunch. Just had a Healthy Choice Restaurant-style rice bowl with orange chicken. Surprisingly good!

Rhonda, enjoy your company. Whatever you might gain this weekend (if anything)will come off quickly.

Nancy, did you go to the singles' class Sunday? The Y sounds like a good investment.

It's almost time for my next class. Catch you later.

nancy237
08-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Maryann..That is what I am going to do ..Food for a week from now on.
I have a new cookbook from Cooking Light called Fresh Food Fast.
It has 280 recipes that are 5 ingredient & 15 minutes. I am going to exercise in the evening & stop by the store to get quick easy meals ..

Sandra..didn't go to church..I just can't seem to make myself ..What is wrong with me ?? There is a grief share at out church on Wed nights that starts next week, so maybe that will help. I am also going to call one of the pastors about ladies activities that would help. I am embarrassed I can't seem to just go( just do it) but I will just have to find another way back like a ladies group.

ps..started a new book called Younger Next Year for Women..My brother loved the mens book. I will let you know how I like it when I finish it..

ontarget
08-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Nancy, do what you are most comfortable doing. I don't blame you for being reluctant. :hug:

jojo23
08-31-2011, 07:20 PM
I know what you mean Maryann. Now there is just the 2 of us, we have re thought how we shop. For over 30 years I bought in bulk and it has been difficult to re think things. For example, tea bags I used to buy in packs of 280 and now a pack of 80 seems to last forever. I still buy large joints of meat, cook a roast then freeze whats left into 2 meal portions.

Vickie
09-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I'm exhausted. We are still working on the pool/deck demolition and the master bath remodel estimates. So the exhaustion is mental and physical.

Eating is so so. I haven't been on the scale in about a week which is also not good. I'm still sticking to my Septemer 12 fresh start.

Hope you are all well.

pam920
09-01-2011, 09:31 AM
morning chicks.

Sounds like things are getting back to normal for everyone. I need to get blood work before next Wed. I was going to go today, but got up feeling tired and needed my coffee. I have to fast, and the clinic is 1/2 hr away, so it's hard, especially when you are addicted to coffee in the a.m. My eating is out of control again. I just realized I gain weight while in KY in summer, and then lose when I'm in florida in winter. It's so boring here in Ky and I'm just not a happy camper. Would much prefer FL, although seeing the kids is a big plus.

Nancy, good luck with whatever you decide. They opened a new gym in town and it's really low cost. I might take advantage of it next summer. In Florida, I like to walk.

Maryann, it's a shame about the food waste. At least you can get back to walking.

Has it cooled down in Texas?

Vickie, hope things settle down for you soon.

jojo, have the riots stopped? I haven't heard a thing about them in awhile.

Tejas
09-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Cool down in Texas? Well, there's a cold front on the way and the temps might plummet to 100F :lol:

beach bum
09-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Hi Ladies:)

Don't have any time to post as I walk up 2 hour ago 9AM and I have lots to do. I like to get my walking done before it get too hot. Yes I said HOT the temps are going up again,but I hope the humidity doesn't do the same.

NANCY-= After this storm and having that virus 3 weeks ago I don't feel like cooking anymore. My friend Rita told me that I will feel differently once the cold weather hits us. I have so many cook books from WW,SB and Lite along with 30 min cooking, but I haven't picked up one of those cookbooks since my tummy ache.

JOJO=When my DH was alive we joined a BJ's in our area for bulk food shopping especially for paper proctors like toilet tissue napkins etc. and now I go to Walmart for the same items. I should stop as I'm all alone and don't NEED THE BULK.Just thinking of the the food I used to buy is making me sick. Maybe with the less eating I will be able to get down to my weight goal shortly.

PAM-Look forward to a better fall season when my walking group will meet and I going to start other activities this month now that the weather is be getting better.

Have to go, have a nice day

nancy237
09-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Pam..I am the same exact way about going an hour without my coffee to do fasting blood work. Last year I cheated thinking that because i don't use sugar in my coffee it wouldn't matter. Then the results made my doctor mention that my blood sugar was gradually rising.. Had to redo the blood work to get accurate results.. Now I carry my coffee in the car so I can have it as soon as the labs are done.

Vickie...wear a mask if you are around demo dust..I forgot to and I am coughing this week. Dumb !!!

I joined the gym I was looking at . $34 a month and they have lots of classes.I have a friend that goes there and can try a class with her to get started. So now I need exercise clothes & a gym bag. I have a credit and another return for a sports store here(Dicks) so I will look there. Just wish I could wear those cute gym shorts I could wear at 20. Now I like the ones that
cover the cellulite.

I am going to look at a dog today that needs a home. His name is Bud and he is a big lovable boxer mix, but the picture looks like he has great dane in him. It would be so much easier to adopt a dog after I move, but so wonderful to have a dog now...Sorta hope I don't like him & then the dilemma is solved for now...

ontarget
09-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Sounds like you're all doing well. If you're too cold, check out my temperature thingee here. Around 6 pm Central Time Zone, it should be peaking for the day.

Nancy and Maryann, kudos for exercising. Rhonda, kudos to you, too. I know you're exercising as well.

Speaking of exercising (and mainly walking), Curtis has injured the knee he had rebuilt last summer by walking too hard and long. The surgeon told him yesterday to cut back. I told Curtis I'd walk with him. That would naturally slow him down as I'm 5'2" and he's 6'2". We'll just do one loop around the pasture instead of the 4 he'd been doing.

Vickie, wear that mask.

JoJo, sometimes I cook ahead and freeze in meal size portions, too. Right now our freezer's loaded with popsicles--regular ones and sugar-free ones. :lol:

What did I prepare for lunch today? Well, I grilled tilapia fillets and onion slices, cooked brown rice seasoned with teriyaki sauce and steamed English peas. For dessert I had 2 ripe plums.

Are ya'll impressed?

Tejas
09-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Impressed :woohoo: Sandra!

pam920
09-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm impressed too, lol. I had turkey roll-ups, organic mini carrots, sliced cucumber, a couple no sugar sweet pickles with a sour cream dill dip. But then, had to ruin it and eat some cashews. Why do I do that???

It's 96 on my desktop, so not quite as hot as your 101. My allergies are bad right now. I have a headache, dizzy, lightheaded and just feel out of sorts.

Nancy, I do the same with the coffee. Fill a big travel mug and have it in the car waiting for me. I need to go tomorrow for sure. Monday is a holiday and that leaves only Tuesday and they might be busy after being closed Monday, so I might have a long wait for the lab. I use sugar free hazelnut creamora, but I guess we aren't suppose to have anything. My last blood work, my glucose was 105 and it's always been in the 90's. I really don't eat much sweets, so not sure why it was higher than normal.

nancy237
09-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Good day with lots of errand done. A local plumbing supply place in town helped me by explaining what needs to be done in my bath regarding the tub fixtures & pipes..After 5 differing opinions including a plumber I now feel good about what needs to be done.

Looked at the dog. He is much smaller than the picture looked and had a bad overbite..Decided to wait ...

Going to walk & eat out with a friend in a minute.. This is where I need to learn to eat light..My friend is health minded so she can help me .

Tomorrow will be busy with my handyman & a yard working friend & company from out of town all coming !!

ontarget
09-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Ahhhhhh retirement. We napped this afternoon. Life is good.

Nancy, have a good time with your friend.

Pam, your meal sounds good, and cashews are healthy, aren't they?

It didn't seem too hot today. Rhonda, are we getting too used to this heat?

Vickie
09-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I vow to do better today. That's all I can say.

Yesterday it was almost 100 degrees and it will be that again today. I'm going shopping for tile and faucets. Miss my pool.....TONS.

ontarget
09-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Vickie, our 100+ temps are due to end after today or tomorrow. We're ready! Sometimes I miss the hot tub we had in Montana. I understand how you feel.

Today is Friday Fish Fry. I know.....I know.... I shouldn't be excited about what I'm going to eat today. That's a habit I'm working on. I keep telling myself, "Food is not my BFF." I'm a work in progress for sure.

Hope you are all having a FANTASTICLY FABULOUS FRIDAY!

Tejas
09-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Family is here so I won't be on much...trying not to overeat and to eat healthy. I had a fantastic massage this morning...bliss.

nancy237
09-02-2011, 04:53 PM
WOW we got so much done...
Lights are up, yard is weeded, mulch is down, stone wall is fixed.
Getting ready to shower & go get stuff to grill & my cousin & her boyfriend
(the one that helped me today) are coming for dinner.

I can't shower til this handyman finishes......

ontarget
09-02-2011, 08:25 PM
You girls are having a fabulous Friday. Enjoy every minute.

We just got home from the fish fry. I ordered mashed potatoes w/o gravy. They brought gravy. I ate it.

Tejas
09-02-2011, 10:35 PM
gravy :hungry:

nancy237
09-02-2011, 10:35 PM
They brought gravy. I ate it.

haha ...I would have too..

nancy237
09-02-2011, 10:45 PM
A first since Robin passed away.... My cousin & her friend just left tonight I am sitting on my deck just enjoying the cool air & night sounds...

Mark brought & grilled chicken he had marinated and it was excellent.
I got the ingredients from him & will post soon, of course its a little of this & a little of that (like all good cooks). My cousin has found a gem in this guy ..He
worked all day on my yard & grilled his recipe tonight for us..wow..

I am feeling so much more encouraged about my house. The "done "list has grown & a good friend & her husband are coming in tomorrow & Sunday to help.

beach bum
09-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Good Morning Ladies:)

Sorry I was MIA yesterday,my friends Alice,Rita & I'm are went down to Woods Hole to get some walking done. We were thinking about going over to MV but is Labor day Weekend and the tourist are going to have they Last Hurrah before summer ends so we are going to hold off and go some time next weekend. Plus Bill Clinton is over there now. Its going to be crowded over there.

While down there we decided to go to the PB club,and than walk before going to a place to eat. Stayed down at Woods Hole for until 4 PM we will lucky we didn't miss the 4 o'clock trolley to take us home.

Looks like this holiday weekend is going to be quite for me. There's no new movies to go to,or restaurant to eat in,as the crowds will be coming in today for their last Summer 3 day weekend,but there lots to do,even if I don't socialize.

SANDRA-Thanks,I have to limber up before my walking group starts there walk Sept 13. When I went walking with my friends yesterday I wore my knee brace, maybe Curtis could do the same. Especially if he walks along time. Just a thought. <VERY IMPRESSED>

PAM-You eating healthy those cashews are a healthy nut to eat,you did have the whole can just a hand full will not effect your weight.Oh you ppr gals having such hot temps,glad that we're down in the 70's.

NANCY-Happy to hear things are looking up for you,having good friends that are willing to help you will make all the difference.

Have to go,have lots of thinks to do have a great day

ontarget
09-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Good morning, Chickies! It's a gorgeous day. What a wonderful way to start the weekend! Curtis is outside mowing and I'm inside baking goodies for a gathering we're attending tonight. We really enjoy the fellowship with these folks. I'm planning to make healthy choices. Send me some ;) 's, please. I will need them.

Curtis is thinking of joining OA on Sept. 12 when the group meeting begins at our church. I'm excited about that.

Nancy and Maryann, you girls are having a good week. Makes me smile.

Rhonda, I know you're enjoying your company. That also makes me smile.

I really enjoy reading what's going on with each of you. Vickie, I hope you're getting to enjoy the holiday weekend. My gf was going to call a local hotelyesterday to see if we can do our water exercises there. I need to see what she found out. Worst case scenario is they say, "No."

Ya'll have a great day!

Vickie
09-03-2011, 10:52 AM
;););););););););););););););););););););););););) ;);););)

ontarget
09-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Thank you, Vickie. I have finished baking brownies. I am still sugar-free. Who'da thunk it? Now for my confession: I got addicted to sugar free ice cream and sugar free fried pies that a local bakery makes. I've had to add them to my "do not do" list. Life goes on.

Tejas
09-03-2011, 03:29 PM
10 adults and 3 children here for breakfast--now going to Dallas for the extended family reunion :faint:

nancy237
09-04-2011, 01:41 AM
What a nice day with good friends.

My friend & I moved furniture while her hubby cleaned my pool.
House & yard are looking so much better. My living room is long with a
fireplace off center and I have done so many furniture arrangements that never seem quite right, but she thought of a better one that I really like.

Stay safe and have a fun weekend..

jojo23
09-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Another pound off for me. I am starting a cold. I'm not surprised. We have had bitterly cold blustery weather when it wasn't just a case of popping the winter duvet back on, it was heating and a hotwater bottle time as well! Now, we are coming to the end of a few days blistering sun when you didn't want to go far from a fan. It wasn't like this when I was a little girl. We had lovely summers, not too hot but long, and our winters were crisp and cold. I can remember having my porridge (oatmeal) for breakfast and not being able to see through the window for the frost outside. I was always being told to stop dawdling and eat up because I was fascinated by the patterns on the window and of course, keeping an eye out for this Jack Frost bloke.

Is anyone else a fan of the Elizabeth Peters books? The ones about the Egyptologists? Amelia Leabody and Emmerson? I love 'em A good oodunit and some good laughs too.

ontarget
09-04-2011, 03:43 PM
JoJo, thank you for explaining porridge. I always thought it was soup. :lol:
Congratulations on being down another pound. :clap:

Nancy, it is always amazed me how different folks could see things so differently. I'm glad your friend helped you redecorate.

I did all right at the gathering last night but ate some really spicy sausage. I'm paying for it today. TMI Today at lunch I had a regular Diet Coke with loads of caffeine (or so it seemed). Right now my hands are shakey and I'm double hitting some of the keys. No wonder my shooting is better when I'm off caffeine.

That said I still doubt I'll have a weightloss this week. We'll see tomorrow.

Tejas
09-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Still eating my way through the holiday :ink:

I had a great time in Dallas at the family reunion :gossip:

It continues through tonight, and two of my three guests return to their homes tomorrow. The third is staying another day.

The Dallas family is my late brother-in-law's family and they have a fascinating history..four brothers who escaped/fled the Russian czar and made their way to the US to begin new lives. They would be very pleased with their progeny.

nancy237
09-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Just found out my boys may go with family on dads side to africa for all of Dec this year.
It boils down to that side of the family being very persuasive with financial strings attached.
The boys have tried to say no to the trip since January but saying no to them isn't easy..I remember well !!
Not sure how to not give my blessings but not pour the guilt on either.
That is what I have told them since Jan..It will be a hard holiday and I hope they don't go , but I will support what they decide.

ontarget
09-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Rhonda, that's very interesting. Keep enjoying your company. "Diet" will be there later.

Nancy, that does sound like a difficult situation for all of you. I don't know what to say except that your children love you. :hug:

jojo23
09-05-2011, 02:41 AM
New pages up