Old 08-26-2011, 02:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/195/135

Height: 5ft 2inches

Default Husband's bringing me down...

I love my husband so so much and I really appreciate all he does for me and how he has supported me threw hard times. Today I went to him for love and support and words of encouragement.
I told him I was concerned with my weight which has been rapidly increasing for the past year most of my recent gain is since May. I went from 166 last year in July to 198 this month! I've avoided telling him what I weighed for the past 6 months and when he heard 198 come out of my mouth he looked shocked and looked me dead in the eyes and said

"How did YOU let this happen?"

Okay its not the worst thing someone could say to you but it really hurt and I didn't know what to say to him. I was speechless because I did let myself go. I have no excuses. I guess I figured if I don't share the number its not really that high. I was wrong it hurts even worse to see the look of concern on his face.
I guess this has been my intervention... I have to make a change! I have to get the help I need. I can't let myself down or my husband.
So heres to a new beginning and hopes to make myself and my family proud!
Snowwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm glad that you've resolved to make the change, but I'm sorry it came about in a painful way. I'm trying to think about what I would do in his position, and I really don't know. Do I chose to be the enabler or the jerk? Is there a way out of being either one?

But whatever options he had, I'm glad you took his comment with such grace. A lot of people would have turned to others to shoot down his comment, but you lived up to it, admitted there was something wrong, and resolved to change. I think that's really brave of you.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/210/125

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
Is there a way out of being either one?
Yes, there is a huge middle ground. It's called being loving, as well as encouraging and supportive of any and all proper lifestyle changes the person wants/needs to make, not acting as though gaining weight is the worst thing anyone could ever do. If my husband had said something similar to me as Snowwhite's had, he wouldn't be enjoying life for a very long while (to make an understatement).
cortandcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #4  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I remember telling my boyfriend how much I weighed and that I was in the obese zone. Granted, I did say that I was going to make a change, and that I was going to lose weight once and for all since I've been unhappy about it for years. He was very supportive of me, and when I asked "Well what do you think?" he said that he was concerned that his girlfriend is obese, because it comes with array of health issues. But he loves me, thinks I'm beautiful, and said that my weight is the cherry on top of an amazing cake.

As long as your husband loves you for you and not the number on the scale, then you're fine. Sure, he might have been a bit insensitive, but the truth hurts. We all let ourselves go here, for whatever reason that might be, and it's our responsibility (not anyone else's) to get back on track. Support from loved ones is amazing - but it shouldn't be what keeps you on track - YOU should keep you on track.

We're all here to support each other, I've lost 18 lbs so far since January, and the support from this board has been fantastic. Good luck on your weight loss journey, it's time to be happy and healthy!!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195.6/192.6/150

Height: 5'4

Ouch. Husbands opinions hurt way worse than anyone elses, especially when it comes to our figures since they're the only one who gets to see ALL of it. I know my husband's recent comments have had me feel extremely self-conscious, though he never said anything as... bluntly... as yours did.

I hope he's generally more supportive. I know my husband says things that make me want to crawl in a hole and hide until I've lost the weight, usually without thinking. But he's really great about complimenting me and telling me how attractive he finds me (though my own self-doubt is thinking "yeah, right...") the majority of the time. The negative comments only come when I discuss my weight and he answers me honestly. On the flip-side, when I did start losing weight (before I gained it all back), he was the first to comment on the changes.
SarahRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Maybe not the most gentle wording on his part, but probably a conversation that needed to happen. When I went on my college graduation trip with my sister, just below my highest weight, we had a heart to heart one night about my weight and her concerns. We also had the "how did you let this happen" talk. She is small and has always been small. Her largest ever was a size 8 and she looks at herself at that size the way I look at myself at 294lbs.
It was a difficult conversation that left me crying in the middle of a restaurant in St Thomas (and a little too tipsy to care). But we had never really discussed my weight before. Today she is one of my biggest supporters. She's always happy to go do something active with me or to pick a healthier restaurant.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/195/135

Height: 5ft 2inches

Thank you ladies for all your stories and encouragement. He truly means well. I know he is worried about not having me in his life because of my health and being overweight does not help that situation.
After that incident last night he came to me and gave me a big hug (I thought he was going to apologize) No I was wrong. He gave me a big sexy kiss and said "I love you sweetheart and I want you around forever! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you meet your goal and get healthy" That's what I wanted to hear in the beginning lol but I really think it was much needed.
I've been in a mind set of 'if my husband dosent care then I don't care.' Bad bad analogy! I don't know how I let myself think that way.
Needless to say we made up Today is a new day and I'm making changes already. I have set goals for myself and plan on sharing them with my husband when he gets home from work. So excited!!!
Thanks again Ladies for letting me vent.
Snowwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 PM   #8  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Snowwhite-- you guys obviously have a great relationship. Also-- you seem to be taking this with a lot of class and grace, too. It takes a person with a lot of character to admit to an unpleasant truth.

When we had been married for a little less than a year (we've been married 5 yrs now) (and I had put on about 30 lbs.-- I was a little over 200, size 16), my husband admitted to not being very attracted to me anymore. In retrospect, I'm not sure he meant it the way it came out-- he really is terrible with words in most situations. However, I think that was the single most awful moment of my life so far. I just felt utterly crushed, and I have never cried so hard in my life. I still remember the feeling and the words to this day. It took several months for me to get past it, and there are times when I'm still not "past" it-- I wonder if he's still attracted to me or whatnot. In fairness to him, he gives lots of sincere compliments and is very supportive of me in everything, including during weight loss or gain, and I can tell by actions that he's still attracted to me.

Anyhow, I tell you all this just so you know that I and others, I'm sure, understand how bad of a feeling that is. It's great that you can share this with your husband, though. I'm sure he'll be a lot of help to you during the weight loss process.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwhite85 View Post
I went from 166 last year in July to 198 this month! I've avoided telling him what I weighed for the past 6 months and when he heard 198 come out of my mouth he looked shocked and looked me dead in the eyes and said

"How did YOU let this happen?"

To me, the reaction seems a bit overblown, I mean if he wasn't concerned by your appearance, what concerns him about the number - is it just because it's a "big, scary" number?

To me it sounds like "sticker shock." The number sounds "shockingly big" to him, but I don't think he realizes what the number really means. People don't know what 198 or 200 lbs (or any weight, for that matter) looks like, but they hear what sounds to them like a "big" number and OMG, it's the end of the world, because it's a big number!

It reflects the culture-wide ignorance of weight issues. 30 lbs is damned easy to gain (heck 250 lbs wasn't that hard). We don't know (and men REALLY don't know) what 10, 20, 50, 100 lbs of extra weight looks like (or can look like since it can look very different on different people, especialy when the fat/muscle/water/bone proportions are different).

Then again there are the women who shave off 20, 30, and even 50 lbs off of their real weight when sharing it, so people (often especially male people) haven an image of a 150 lb woman when they hear 110-120.

I can't tell you how many people were shocked to hear that I weighed over 300 lbs. Friends would talk about someone "way bigger than me, like 300 lbs or something) and I'd say "I weigh 360 lbs."

There mouths would drop open and they'd say "There's no way, you don't look like you weigh that much," and I'd say "yes, this is what 360 lbs looks like."

I've heard women claim weights 100 lbs less than their actual weight. It makes me really crazy, because it gives such a skewed sense of what weight looks like.

Camryn Manheim talks about this in her book "Wake up, I'm fat," that she'd go to audtions for parts and she'd get turned down for being too small for the part "We wanted someone really fat, like over 200 lbs" and she'd say "I weigh 225 lbs," and the casting people wouldn't know how to respond.

Wouldn't you think people in the entertainment business would know what weight looks like?

Ok, I know I'm ranting on a soap box.

I'm not saying that 30 lbs is something to ignore, I just wouldn't necessarily take your husband's comments to mean that you're some sort of circus freak. Gaining 30 lbs is nothing to sneeze at, but neither is it the shock of the century, and it certainly isn't in the realm of "how could this happen?"

He probably wouldn't know that, so I'm not blaming him for being insensitive out of ignorance. If he's at all overweight and you think he might have gained some weight too, I'd encourage him to weigh himself and see what he's gained. It may put your gain into perspective for him (or it may not).

Often men tend to be in denial, even when they're much more overweight than their wives (because they convince themselves it's muscle not fat, even when they look like they're 8 months pregnant).

If your hubby is naturally slim, with a big appetite - it will be very difficult to educate him. My dad ate like a bottomless pit. His evening snack for 30 years was a pint or pint and a half of ice cream and a sleeve of oreos. His average calorie intake had to be somewhere int the 4000 to 6,000 range.
He had a very active job, and burned off all he ate - until retirement, when he started putting on weight around the middle.

All my life, my father would tell my mom and I how easy it was to lose weight, "Just stop eating," he'd say. When he gained the retirement weight and started looking very pregnant, he started dieting for the first time, and suddenly all the things we used to say, were coming out of his mouth "I've given up my snacks, my meals are smaller, I don't eat anything and I still can't lose the weight, and I'm starving."

We did rub it in a little bit by quoting him, "It's easy, just stop eating - not so easy, huh?"

I have to say he did get the weight under control unfairly quickly, but he did become more sympathetic.

I hope your husband will be more patient, understanding and sensitive, but if he isn't don't get discouraged. Remember that your goal is to do the best you can, not necessarily to meet his expectations (and I'm not saying he has any, but if he does and if they're unrealistic, that's not your fault).

You can try to educate him, but if that doesn't go as well as you'd like, don't let that derail you. If he doesn't understand, it's not the end of the world. You can do this even if he doesn't know how to help you.

That he has asked you how he could help is extremely encouraging. A lot of men (my hubby is one) tries to help by bringing suggestions and trying to convince me that I would succeed if I did things HIS way. He's got a bit of a white knight complex, and wants to swooping down and solving problems like superman (the world would be perfect, with no problems if everyone just did what he said).

I'm exagerating, my husband doesn't really think he has the solution to all the world's problems, but he does sometimes think he has the solution to all of MY problems. I love him, but I have to repeatedly tell him that I'm willing to try some of his suggestions, but ultimately I'm in charge.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote