Exercise! - Lift like a guy but still look like a girl

fitmom
08-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Does anyone else get this reaction from people, particularly men, that say: "be careful and don't lift too much weight b/c you'll end up looking like a guy"? Is it just me or are there others on this site that are endlessly annoyed by this stupid myth?

I bought a heavier kettlebell and dumbbells the other day and my DH's best friend was over and when I went downstairs to my basement to lift weights, he cautioned me that I might end up bulking up too much due to the heavier weights. I was so frustrated, I just stayed silent.

I doubt I'd ever end up looking like a guy - among the obvious, I'm not that muscular to begin with, lol. But what's wrong with doing kettlebell swings and deadlifts with a 25 lb. weight even at my size? Geesh.

Lovely
08-25-2011, 08:11 PM
"be careful and don't lift too much weight b/c you'll end up looking like a guy"?

"Careful! You keep opening your mouth like that and everyone's going to know you're an idiot :)"

fatferretfanatic
08-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Stupid myth too-I lift pretty heavy for a lady with my kettlebells. I use a 26 for snatches, a 35 for presses and swings, but I am currently transitioning to the 44lb for swings and presses. Pavil dictates that a regular lady should start with an 18-25 while a strong lady should use a 35 pounds and I am venturing beyond that even. I LOVE what kettlebells do for me, and I look quite feminine. To boot I have lost 47 pounds doing that and running while losing 12 inches round' my waist. Yeah, I'm not bulking up and neither will you. :D

runningfromfat
08-26-2011, 08:04 AM
I.HATE.THAT.MYTH.

I can't even tell you how many times women have asked what I've done to lose weight and I mention weight lifting. Then I almost here "oh, I can't do that, I'll bulk up too much!" Sigh... Sometimes I want to respond with, "what are you, she-hulk?" but I know it would be counterproductive because they're just repeating this myth that has been pounded in our heads for years. :mad:

What drives me nuts, though, is that if anybody I should be susceptible to bulking up. We have a lot of athletes in my family (one who even qualified for the Olympics!) and I'm a former athlete myself with a large bone structure. Yet, I'm quite a bit smaller with weight lifting.

I'd really like to throw a dumbbell at the guy who started this myth! :lol:

fitmom
08-26-2011, 09:39 AM
I think also that some men (not all, mind you) might feel, dare I say, threatened that a woman would be able to lift a heavier weight compared to them or even be visibly more muscular than them. God forbid, you should bruise the fragile male ego! :lol: At least my DH isn't like that, he's always saying he likes the way that I've toned up. But it's still frustrating when people say that...even my mother-in-law cautioned me against it. It's amazing how ignorant most people are about women and weight-lifting IMO.

DietVet
08-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Don't y'all know that lifting anything heavier than 10 pounds (unless it is a child, groceries or a vacuum) *automatically* makes your ovaries shrivel? It's really terrifying!

:p

tuende
08-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Don't y'all know that lifting anything heavier than 10 pounds (unless it is a child, groceries or a vacuum) *automatically* makes your ovaries shrivel? It's really terrifying!

This one made me literally LOL!

fitmom
08-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Stupid myth too-I lift pretty heavy for a lady with my kettlebells. I use a 26 for snatches, a 35 for presses and swings, but I am currently transitioning to the 44lb for swings and presses. Pavil dictates that a regular lady should start with an 18-25 while a strong lady should use a 35 pounds and I am venturing beyond that even. I LOVE what kettlebells do for me, and I look quite feminine. To boot I have lost 47 pounds doing that and running while losing 12 inches round' my waist. Yeah, I'm not bulking up and neither will you. :D

I guess according to Pavil, I'm only a regular lady. Oh well. Working my way towards strong...although if you saw my upper body, well, let's just say that my arms make Tori Spelling's arms look ripped. :lol:

Kettlebells are my new favorite way to strength train too. I credit them for making my 'v-cut' muscle appear on my lower torso along with running 12 miles a week. My favorite move is the deadlift.

Yeah, like I said before I doubt I'd ever be mistaken for a man - I'm not exactly built like a bodybuilder.

I'm so inspired by how much you lift with the kettlebells. You've given me something new to strive for. Very cool.

fatferretfanatic
08-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Oh I started with an 18 lb, and worked up to what I'm doing now, so you're doing great!! Deadlifts are great-and I admit I should probably be doing them. I can deadlift a 53 with one hand and a 35 with the other for deadlifts, but I don't do them often enough to count. My goal is to be able to regularly handle the 53 pound one. I couldn't be mistaken for one either. I am still pretty untoned looking because of all this extra weight-but it's helping me get down to something healthier.

tdiprincess
08-26-2011, 03:46 PM

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D That's probably one of the funniest things I've read on here!!!

Somni
08-26-2011, 04:46 PM

Hah! <3 this.

mkroyer
08-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Re: Deadlifting
A great goal for a female is to be able to deadlift approx 1.5X your Body Weight (for 1 rep max), so a 100 pound person should work up to a 150 pound deadlift, etc etc.
That is the only real limitation i see with the kettlebells, vs Oly Bars and Bumper plates.... I personally prefer the bars and plates for ANY heavy, and/or full body exercise- DL, Snatches, cleans, jerks, front squats, lunge, pushh press, etc

fitmom
08-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I agree with that to a certain degree, mkroyer but kettlebells cost a fraction of what other dumbbells do and are more space-efficient. I have a tiny basement that I lift in so I have to make the most of it and my shoestring budget. Although you seem to have a lot more upper body strength than me, like I said Tori Spelling and I could be arm twins, lol. I'm really small up top - it's almost embarrassing. It's my mission to eventually have tennis player arms. Oh well.

EagleRiverDee
08-26-2011, 07:51 PM
This myth drives me nuts, the other one is "toning" and achieving abs through "ab exercises" when in fact both of those are just fat loss.

At my absolute skinniest I could lift twice what I lift now. And I did not look bulky. I was leg pressing over 500#, I could bench 110#, and I was SKINNY. Most women simply cannot bulk up, they don't have the hormones for it. Women powerlifters that get bulky use a very specific workout routine, eat a very specific diet, and many use steroids as well.

I like the book, "New Rules of Lifting for Women- Lift like a man, Look like a Goddess." That says it all.

shcirerf
08-27-2011, 01:02 AM

ROFLMAO!

Actually, weight lifting is good for women. Helps stave off osteoperosis. (sp?)

I like being strong! Makes my job easier. Makes farming and gardening easier.

My DIL complemented me on my arm muscles the other day. Love that girl!

Loli
08-27-2011, 01:09 AM
A girlfriend of mine has to limit her weight training because she does bulk up. Her body produces too much testosterone.

fitmom
08-27-2011, 02:45 PM
A girlfriend of mine has to limit her weight training because she does bulk up. Her body produces too much testosterone.

I would love to have THAT problem, lol. Just call me "Olive Oyl" from Popeye.