Old 08-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/254/130

Height: 05'3

Default Just Got Diagnosed With Pcos

Hi guys i joined this site about a month or so.I started with the weight watcher point plus but didnt see any results and instead i was gaining over 10 pounds a week i didnt know why. i was just diagnosed with PCOS so i think that has a big part to do with it all.Ive been reading online that maybe the atkins diet might b the best way to go since i have PCOS what do you all suggest?
parbtani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/254/130

Height: 05'3

eah so just the first day and not going too well talk about gross dont know if i can do the atkins first off im not much of a meat eater....any suggestions for pcos
parbtani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:41 AM   #3  
VKD

S/C/G: 284/275/160

Default I hear ya

I too was diagnosed with PCOS, and Insulin Resistance. Have you been tested for that yet? And be careful because my ob/gyn first thought my insulin levels were fine because they fell within the normal range, but he then talked to an endocrinologist and found out that any insulin level above 6 is too high, mine was 19 and then 24 when retested a year later. My ob/gyn tried putting me on a diabetic medicine called glucophage to help my insulin levels (even though not diabetic). I have been trying to take the glucophage for 2 years but my stomach is too sensitive. So now he is going to send me to the endocrinologist to see what other med would work for this. I started weight watchers 12 days ago and have lost 9 pounds. I did try Atkins type diet, it was just way to restrictive for me, I only lasted 2 days. So far WW is working cuz I can still eat what I like, just have to make smaller portions and make better decisions throughout the day. Yes in theory a low carb diet is idea for our condition, but I wasn't able to pull it off. I finally decided I have to try this WW and I am liking it. Sorry, I don't know what to tell ya to do, but all I can say is I know how frustrating this is and I hope you find what works for you.
VKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/130

Height: 5 foot

I see it's been a while since you posted this, but thought I would chime in anyway. I too have pcos....I was diagnosed at 16 years old and am now 28. Weight Watchers DID work for me....I was able to loose 50 pounds....Just didn't have the willpower to keep it off! It helped that I was living at home when I lost the weight (5 years after being diagnosed) and my mom was cooking my dinners for me She'd tell me the night before how many points dinner was so I knew what I could do for lunch, breakfasts and snacks. Good luck with whatever you decide to try! Just know, it's not really as hard as the Dr.s make it sound to get the weight off with pcos!!! To me they made it sound impossible!
KatRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #5  

I too HAD PCOS.....the reason I say HAD is because once I lost weight, the doctors found no reason for me to continue to glucophage AND I started ovulating again. They told me that I am no longer showing signs of it.

I think WW can work for you too! You just have to find which food combinations that would work best especially if you are insulin resistant. Good Luck!
toothlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #6  
Patience Grasshopper

S/C/G: 213/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

I also have PCOS. Weight Watchers worked for me, but if it doesn't work for you the South Beach diet is great for people with PCOS as it is not a low carb diet, but does focus on the benefits of eating more fruits and veggies (mainly veggies). I did South Beach for awhile, but find I just enjoy WW more.
chubbyhipster is offline   Reply With Quote