General chatter - Earthquake!!!

View Full Version : Earthquake!!!

joyfulloser
08-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Who felt it? 5.9 here in Virginia. It was sooooooo scary. I was at the DMV and the entire building started trembling like a freight train was going through it. I was the only one who ran out of the building. When I came back, a lady says to me, "wow...everyone was frozen, but you ran out"...I replied, "someone had to tell the story"!:p

Share your earthquake story.:)

4myloves
08-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Funny!

So glad you're ok and *all* of the DMV will be able to tell the story. :)

Dorian5
08-23-2011, 05:03 PM
I am in Raleigh NC and even we got some shaking! I bolted out of my workplace, haha. Never in my life have I experienced an earthquake!

They evacuated us and all of the VPs of the company walked around to "inspect" the building before letting us back in -- I guess they are just looking for obvious cracks!??! :lol: !!! They are certainly not ARCHITECTS! :rofl:

But all the big guys in suits said it's safe so I'm back in my office now. :rolleyes:

nelie
08-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Most injuries occur to people running out of buildings. That and things falling from shelves. It was pretty strong here. I looked around to see if things were nearby that might fall on me and decided no. I was working at my computer and just kept on working.

JerseyGyrl
08-23-2011, 05:20 PM
I was sitting at my desk when all of a sudden the building started to shake & sway here in northern NJ.

QuilterInVA
08-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Running outside is not the best thing to do - a crack could open or debris fall on you. I just stayed in my office.

bargoo
08-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Get under your desk or a table , running outside means something might fall on you. I have been in many earthquakes, living in California.

shanhat81
08-23-2011, 05:54 PM
It was scary, not gonna lie. The building was swaying!

SweetTreat80
08-23-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm in Ontario Canada and we felt it here! I was sitting on my bed with my laptop when my bed started moving!

GetFitFast
08-23-2011, 05:58 PM
It was just horrible! I could literally see the floor shaking. *phew* I'm glad that's over!

mama_penguino
08-23-2011, 05:59 PM
I am in Telford, PA (about an hour north of Philly), and we felt it. I thought that a heavy truck had slammed into the house, then realized that it wasn't stopping!! My DH is from California, so common for him, but really weird for me... So that's what it feels like!!!

Rashomon
08-23-2011, 06:40 PM
I live in VA, too. My bed started shaking slightly, but I thought it was a poltergeist (because that seemed more likely than an earthquake hitting the East Coast). But it kept going and got more violent. It finally dawned on me that it was an earthquake and I dove out of bed to my doorway.

My sister felt it in NYC and she called me freaking out. She first thought that somebody was under her bed. Yeah, my sister and I have odd thought processes.

jules1216
08-23-2011, 07:32 PM
felt it at the office in Hagerstown MD..shook my cubicle walls..odd feeling...didnt realize what was happenning at work...thought something happenned on the roof or maybe something blew in the factory part..My grandson lives just outside Winchester VA...traumatized him a bit but his step dad said he was better once I talked to him

fitmom
08-23-2011, 07:55 PM
My DH was at JFK airport in a meeting (he's VP of Sales) and he said the entire building started shaking and everyone ran out of the room thinking that a plane hit the building. He called me and sounded visibly upset, wondering if I and the boys were alright. We didn't feel anything because we're not near the water like JFK is so I don't think the shocks were felt up by me. That's all anyone has been talking about all day. I hope everyone is safe. :)

fatburner77
08-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Felt it here in Cleveland!

Ashley829
08-23-2011, 08:18 PM
I work in NOVA and we definitely felt it. I was on my lunchbreak, but I am a teacher to two year olds and of course this was during their nap. We got the call to evacuate and had to grab them out of bed and walk them about 2 blocks away. Being born and raised in MD, an earthquake is certainly something I never thought I would experience.

EZMONEY
08-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Sounds like everyone is ok so far...praise God! :)

But seriously, here in southern California we don't even get out of bed for a quake that small...;)

jules1216
08-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Sounds like everyone is ok so far...praise God! :)

But seriously, here in southern California we don't even get out of bed for a quake that small...;)

yeah...but I was taught California will one day have the big one and fall into the ocean.....there not suppossed to happen around here....seriously though...I heard something said the far reaching tremors was because of the bed rock slabs or something to that effect...in CA they arent as big so thats why they arent felt in such a wide spread area..

joyfulloser
08-23-2011, 09:35 PM
yeah...but I was taught California will one day have the big one and fall into the ocean.....there not suppossed to happen around here....seriously though...I heard something said the far reaching tremors was because of the bed rock slabs or something to that effect...in CA they arent as big so thats why they arent felt in such a wide spread area..

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I can't wait to hear what caused it? Anyone know?:^:

bargoo
08-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Are you saying that California doesn't have earthquakes larger than 5.9 ? I have been in a 6.9 earthquake which did millions of dollars of damage and there were fatalities as well. And that was right here in California, in fact the epicenter was not far from where I am sitting right now.

jules1216
08-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Are you saying that California doesn't have earthquakes larger than 5.9 ? I have been in a 6.9 earthquake which did millions of dollars of damage and there were fatalities as well. And that was right here in California, in fact the epicenter was not far from where I am sitting right now.

no...it was a joking reply (which is why it was followed by "seriously" though) to EZ for saying that people in CA wouldnt even get up for one that small....

now I am remembering why I dont post over here as much as I used too...

SouthernBelle08
08-23-2011, 10:17 PM
I was about 15 minutes from mineral va and I sure as heck felt it! It is the second earthquake I have felt, this one was much worse and scared the crap outta me!

124chicksinger
08-23-2011, 10:38 PM
In Newark, NJ, on the 13th floor, the building shook and shook. I never experienced such a thing, and we didn't know what it was. First thing we all thought was explosion; 2nd thing I thought was a truck hit the building making a delivery. NEVER did I think earthquake! We were evacuated before we knew it was a quake. I hope everyone, everywhere, is ok.

djs06
08-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Felt it all the way in Michigan.. Crazy. Glad you're all okay!

EZMONEY
08-24-2011, 12:03 AM
no...it was a joking reply (which is why it was followed by "seriously" though) to EZ for saying that people in CA wouldnt even get up for one that small....

now I am remembering why I dont post over here as much as I used too...

:o Now when did I ever joke around here?......:lol3: :rofl: :lol3:

EZMONEY
08-24-2011, 12:07 AM
[QUOTE=jules1216;4003738]yeah...but I was taught California will one day have the big one and fall into the ocean.....QUOTE]

Absolutely why I live 5 miles inland....when the BIG ONE happens....:beach: BEACH FRONT PROPERTY:beach: ba-beee!

sontaikle
08-24-2011, 01:08 AM
I'm in New York, on Long Island. Felt it quite a bit over here! I've never been in an earthquake before so it took me a moment to register what was going on.

I ran outside of my house just to be sure it really WAS an earthquake. It was so surreal to feel the ground shake!

Of course facebook got me the news immediately and I realized just how big this thing was when friends near and far commented.

EmilyLarnder
08-24-2011, 01:13 AM
Felt it in Northwestern Pennsylvania!

mzKiki
08-24-2011, 01:34 AM
In Newark, NJ, on the 13th floor, the building shook and shook. I never experienced such a thing, and we didn't know what it was. First thing we all thought was explosion; 2nd thing I thought was a truck hit the building making a delivery. NEVER did I think earthquake! We were evacuated before we knew it was a quake. I hope everyone, everywhere, is ok.

124 I was in Jersey City getting my car serviced. First I didn't pay much attn then my husband called (he works in Lyndhurst) and told me it was an earthquake.
I went to service and got my car back only to hit Raymond Blvd and have it blocked off everywhere! I was glad to get home today.

I do remember an earthquake in the 80's when I was in middle school. Always unsettling in this part of the country no matter how small they are.

zoomwalker
08-24-2011, 01:55 AM
oh my.. I was on my way home from an emergency root canal.. UG.. had to stop at the bank and while I was standing in line, the entire building started rolling. My first though... I'm back in Japan ...

All the tellers and the bank manager started ask everyone if they felt "it". A few minutes later I arrived home to find all the pictures on my wall crooked or off the wall completely and my cats totally freaked out.

Happy to report, I'm too far north west to have felt the aftershocks but my company in Vienna.. had damage.

Katers88
08-24-2011, 02:25 AM
I'm here in California, so of course I didn't feel it :P But I remember one here a couple years ago that had the water sloshing out of my pool! I thought it was cool :P Haha

ANOther
08-26-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm in Minnesota, where we have only tiny, tiny faults and if they move we get only tiny, tiny quakes (around 2.6 is as big as we get: heck, construction sites and trucks rumbling past probably cause bigger tremors!). I have a cousin who lives and works just the other side of DC from where this quake hit, I wrote to her but haven't heard back yet. Now with this darn hurricane getting ready to hit, and it too could slap DC pretty good, I hope she doesn't try to write to me just yet.

Of course I shouldn't be complacent: I hope I don't scare the Midwestern chicks, but there IS the New Madrid fault down around Missouri, which in 1816 let'er rip with enough force to ring church bells in Boston and cut new channels for the Mississippi (hence those "oxbow" lakes you see when you look at a map). Fortunately then, the Midwest was pretty sparsely populated (as in "nobody here but us Indians"), but if that fault were to come alive now, we in the Big 10 states would probably feel something ...

FrouFrou
08-28-2011, 04:14 PM
I was so surprised to see on the news ALL the people out on the streets so close to ALL those tall buildings, geez.