Nutrition and Labeling - 0 Calorie Spray Butter info!

View Full Version : 0 Calorie Spray Butter info!

jillnicole03
08-22-2011, 06:47 PM
So some of you may already know this or this may have been brought up before, but I just found out... So for anyone that doesn't know yet... :D

I love the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray! 0 calories with butter taste every now and then when you need that.. 'I'm eating something bad' feeling lol. Well I use it 2 or 3 times a month but it's never just a few sprays so I thought I wonder how many calories there is for a bunch of sprays! :) here's the info I found:

The "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray has ZERO calories if you use just a few spritzes. *

12.5 sprays is 10 calories and 1 gram of fat

25 sprays (1 teaspoon) is 20 calories and 2 grams of fat

37.5 sprays is 30 calories and 3 grams of fat

The entire bottle contains 900 calories and 90 grams of fat!*

(Just thought this was good to know ;) )

ahyessophie
08-22-2011, 08:23 PM
I'd be curious to know what this is made of

omgzitsmiranda
08-22-2011, 08:28 PM
So some of you may already know this or this may have been brought up before, but I just found out... So for anyone that doesn't know yet... :D

I love the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray! 0 calories with butter taste every now and then when you need that.. 'I'm eating something bad' feeling lol. Well I use it 2 or 3 times a month but it's never just a few sprays so I thought I wonder how many calories there is for a bunch of sprays! :) here's the info I found:

The "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray has ZERO calories if you use just a few spritzes. *

12.5 sprays is 10 calories and 1 gram of fat

25 sprays (1 teaspoon) is 20 calories and 2 grams of fat

37.5 sprays is 30 calories and 3 grams of fat

The entire bottle contains 900 calories and 90 grams of fat!*

(Just thought this was good to know ;) )

This is where I get confused. If one serving of something is 0, I don't understand why would more servings would just assume that itself is worth say.. 20 calories. lol.

Suzanne 3FC
08-22-2011, 08:43 PM
This is where I get confused. If one serving of something is 0, I don't understand why would more servings would just assume that itself is worth say.. 20 calories. lol.

Oddly enough, 0 calories doesn't have to mean 0 calories :lol:

According to the FDA:
When the caloric value for a serving of a food is less than 5 calories, can the actual caloric value be declared?

Answer: The caloric value of a product containing less than 5 calories may be expressed as zero or to the nearest 5 calorie increment (i.e., zero or 5 depending on the level). Foods with less than 5 calories meet the definition of “calorie free” and any differences are dietarily insignificant. 21 CFR 101.9(c)(1)

Riemontana
08-22-2011, 09:48 PM
I love the stuff. It lets me enjoy "plain" baked potatoes and other foods without adding calories

Michi702
08-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Funny thing, I drank a bottle of diet Mountain Dew a few days ago and noticed that while 1 serving is 0 calories, a whole bottle (2.5 servings total) is 10 calories. I suppose the 10 calories are negligible in the soda example, but if you went crazy with the butter spray then you're probably no better than if you had used normal butter.

For example, I really love Brummel & Brown spread - it's made with yogurt and vegetable oil. It's 45 calories and 5 grams fat per tbsp, whereas a tablespoon of the spray you mentioned would be 60 calories plus 6 grams fat. Not to mention, taste wise I find the spray to be a little *too* artificial.

celly123
08-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Also cooking veggies and stuff! It's amazing the boring veggies I can eat when they're sauteed in fake butter and garlic! YUM.

QuilterInVA
08-23-2011, 11:36 AM
They all have 900-calories worth of oil in them. As long as the advertised amount of a serving is less than 5 calories, you can label it as 0. Read the ingredients before you eat!

meg86
08-23-2011, 02:03 PM
That is good info! I've always wondered but never knew. Great Post!

bellastarr
08-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the info! I use it on my corn on the cob all the time!

Carisa
10-04-2011, 02:19 PM
I dont use butter often at all in fact maybe once every couple months- but this spray bottle is tucked away in my fridge as a staple as i dont buy regular butter, when butter is needed this is it , i love the flavor it tastes just like butter and hey...i cant believe its not butter ;P

Panacea86
10-04-2011, 02:57 PM
I like that the spray butter is harder to access. As I've said before, I am a butter fiend. The spray format is like locking crack up in a puzzle box, to me. It's pretty hard to get at LOL.

I know I can't just scoop out a ton of it, I'd have to resort to taking the lid off.

KatieLuna
01-07-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't really use butter. My jacket potato is covered in cheese and beans. I don't add butter to sandwiches as I can't taste butter. :)

Misti in Seattle
11-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Funny thing, I drank a bottle of diet Mountain Dew a few days ago and noticed that while 1 serving is 0 calories, a whole bottle (2.5 servings total) is 10 calories. I suppose the 10 calories are negligible in the soda example, but if you went crazy with the butter spray then you're probably no better than if you had used normal butter.

For example, I really love Brummel & Brown spread - it's made with yogurt and vegetable oil. It's 45 calories and 5 grams fat per tbsp, whereas a tablespoon of the spray you mentioned would be 60 calories plus 6 grams fat. Not to mention, taste wise I find the spray to be a little *too* artificial.

I love the Brummel & Brown spread too, but I stopped buying it because I like it tooooooooooooooooooooooooo much and would end up eating it LOL

Fatness
11-04-2012, 06:02 PM
I just learned something new today. I have a spray can of butter that also says 0 calories; however I use it for when cooking my husband food. Less messy for me. However, I did not understand ow it was 0 calories, but then it's more calories as you use more.

However, I understand now and thanks for the great information.

Misti in Seattle
11-18-2012, 08:59 AM
I'd be curious to know what this is made of

I did some googling (and have also been reading/watching a lot of Michael Pollan's and Steve Ettlinger's stuff). Also reading whatisthatingredient website... a great source of info. Note this is posted without comment, for information only... in response to the above comment...and is based solely on what I am finding by googling.

According to what I see -- ingredients are:

Water
Soybean oil
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt
Sweet cream buttermilk

xantham gum - per ehow it is a polysaccharide made of several sugars.... made "by fermenting glucose from corn"

soy lecithin - "a yellowy biproduct of the process of producing soybeans into soybean oil...After Soybeans are pressed to extract the oil, soy lecithin and the beans natural fibers are left. A second pressing can produce the yellowish paste that is soy lecithin or it can be chemically removed from the mash as well."

polysorbate 60 - (Steve Ettlinger) "a gooey mix made of corn, palm oil and petroleum that can't spoil and now replaces dairy products in Twinkies and other processed foods." Known to cause cancer and endocrine disruption.

lactic acid (potassium sorbate) - "a colorless salt manufactured from sorbic acid and potassium hydroxide. Potassium hydroxide predominantly comes from the ashes of wood, neutralized with sorbic acid... to make Potassium hydroxide: Take wood ashes and leach the ashes to make potassium carbonate"

calcium disodium EDTA - Calcium Disodium may sound like a salt, but it is not, the proper name is the EDTA which is short for Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (we will not even try to tell you how to pronounce that). It is made from a concoction of poisons and chelation chemicals.... Calcium Disodium is often used as a drug to stop lead poisoning or to treat someone exposed to radioactivity. It causes your body to expell heavy metals.

sodium benzoate - wisegeek site - "Sodium benzoate is a sodium salt that occurring naturally in some foods, but is also widely used as a chemical preservative. It is used mainly as a food preservative, but is also found in cosmetics, dyes, pharmaceuticals, industrial settings....Besides its use as a preservative in food, sodium benzoate is used in cosmetic products like mouthwash, toothpaste, deodorant, lotion, and shampoo. This is usually done to keep bacteria from growing in the products. It's also used in medicinal syrups, ointments, and pills. Industrially, sodium benzoate acts as a corrosion inhibitor, and is used to keep many different types of metals from rusting. It's commonly used in metal cans containing liquid foods or household cleaners, manufacturing machinery that is exposed to moisture, and in vehicle engines.

artificial flavor - whatisthat ingredient - "A flavor that has been created by a flavor company that contains at least 1 artificial chemical. The US Federal Drug Agnecy does not require that flavor companies disclose ingredients as long as all the ingredients are considered "Generally Regarded as Safe."...A single natural or artificial flavor can contain many different ingredients; e.g. the artficial "strawberry" flavor contains 49 ingredients, most of which are difficult-to-pronounce chemical compounds."

vitamin A palmitate - ehow - "Vitamin A palmitate is a synthetic version of the vitamin A that occurs naturally in animal food sources. It was developed to fortify low-fat and fat-free dairy products, whose natural vitamin A has been stripped away in the fat-removal process. Palmitate originates in palm oil but undergoes so many chemical changes that the result can barely be called a derivative of the oil."

beta carotene - from mayoclinic site - "Beta-carotene is a member of the carotenoids, which are highly pigmented (red, orange, yellow), fat-soluble compounds naturally present in many fruits, grains, oils, and vegetables.... Commercially available beta-carotene is produced synthetically or from palm oil, algae, or fungi."

CircClerkJen
11-22-2012, 09:11 AM
It's also awesome on air popped popcorn!
Thanks for the info- I guess I was also naive in thinking it was truly 0 calories not matter how many sprays. Will I stop using it.... no I don't think so :)

JudgeDread
01-04-2013, 12:19 PM
hmm thanks, good to know as I use way more than 12 sprays LOL. Still better than real butter though!

elvislover324
01-04-2013, 12:29 PM
After reading the ingredients list Misti provided above I don't know if I can use it anymore...don't they say if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it??

Misti in Seattle
01-04-2013, 11:59 PM
After reading the ingredients list Misti provided above I don't know if I can use it anymore...don't they say if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it??

You can bet it won't be on MY shopping list!!!!

mariposssa
01-05-2013, 12:22 AM
I discovered this a while back, also. It applies equally to spray canola oil and olive oil, ie Pam. Neither of these things are calorie free or fat free. It is a loophole in the labeling laws allowed by our government. They intentionally set the serving size as low as possible making the calories under 5. Who uses 1/3 of a second spray of Pam?? Not many people. The truth is that it is oil and that if you spray longer or more times than the serving you are getting both fat and calories. Shame on our government for allowing them to print misleading facts on the front of the packaging. I believe many people are deceived by the zero calories per serving printed on the front of the package. I have seen some open up the lid and pour it on. It is as caloric as regular butter when you pour it on by the tablespoon.

JudgeDread
01-05-2013, 03:37 AM
Thats true, although I have poured it out when it gets to the end and won't spray! Now I know...

kiah6
01-05-2013, 04:46 PM
I love this stuff. The calories are still lower and it helps me out.