Living Maintenance - Maintainers weekly chat August 22 - 28

BillBlueEyes
08-22-2011, 05:05 AM
Just shuddering at Laffie dodging "a major bullet." Glad you both escaped unharmed.

But it reminds me of a similar story when I saw a HUGE tree limb fall on my nearly-dead mini-van years ago. I was sooooooooo happy. I hated that car by then and was dawdling getting a new one. I watched as the city workers removed the limb, piece by piece, and discovered . . . not a single scratch or dent on my old car. The city didn't need to buy me a new one.

Did you know that there are show rooms where you can go and find literally 10,000 cabinet knobs and pulls on display? It's boggling. After eliminating the pink mermaids and cherry cowboy boots types, there are still thousands left. I thought paying a fortune for new kitchen cabinets would bring only happiness and joy, but alas, it means one more decision, LOL. It is neat to discover that the ones DW and I both like are simple and inexpensive.

Mudpie
08-22-2011, 05:57 AM
Bill I have been in one of those stores with all the knobs and pulls. What, no chili peppers or knife/fork/spoon pulls for your kitchen? I think, back when I went about 10 years ago, they were charging $15 EACH for stuff like that. We went with the tasteful (and inexpensive) plain white porcelain knobs in our otherwise very colourful kitchen.

What did you and DW select?

And Laffie and I are very fortunate :yay:. The online newspaper here reports cars crushed by entire trees during the storm. Not even a scratch on Laffie!

I am going to have to take a step back and start writing down all my cals again and staying under 1500 until I get well below my red line. I'm probably looking at 133 (130 would be ideal - it's my goal) which I know I can successfully maintain without too much pain. :headache:

It's like jayell has said to many people. If it's not working you have to try something different. In my case I have to go back to something which works. I have yet to figure out exactly how many cals I can eat to stay at/under 133 but I will find out this September.

Good Monday all!

Dagmar :dance:

bargoo
08-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Bill and Dagmar. your redecorating efforts remind me of when I decided to do some wallpapering. If you think cabinet knobs are baffling try looking through wallpaper books.There are thousands of choices, just when i found one I liked I would make the mistake and turn one more page. There was just too much choice, I could never make up my mind. Result ? I never wallpapered. My decision now is , do I want to buy barstools for my new apartment ? The bar is there I just don't know if I would ever use them.

silverbirch
08-22-2011, 08:46 AM
I know you didn't ask for advice, bargoo, but I have to wade in. Despite your name, I wouldn't buy stools. I'd use it to stand at or as a barre for exercise.

Phew, Dagmar!

bargoo
08-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Silverbirch , ai think you may be right , that is why I am hesitating. They will look nice but may never get used.

Shannon in ATL
08-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Bargoo - I bought bar stools for a Father's Day event where I needed a little extra seating right after we moved into our house four years ago. That is the only time they were ever used. They take up closet space now.

Dagmar - glad Laffie got missed by the limb!

Bill - I've been in those stores, worked in one for a brief period of time. They scare me. I don't do well with too many choices. I got three big paint fans when we were building our house and it locked me down for days.

I managed to exercise both days this weekend even with the craziness around me. I'm hoping that I'll do better this week with being in control instead of being controlled by life.

bargoo
08-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Shannon and Silverbirch, thanks for your thoughts. I am not getting bar stools. That's that.

traveling michele
08-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Bargoo--- are you moving?

Dagmar-- glad you and Laffie dodged the bullet!

Nice but busy weekend for me. I've got to get back to tracking diligently. I've been hit or miss since returning from Houston. My weight is up a few pounds but it was a little low before I left, but I don't want to get complacent.

School starts here Wednesday so things are going into high gear. The teachers are all asking me for scheduling times but I can't really schedule anything until I know when all the preps, science, reading, math, lunch, recess, etc. is! With well over 1000 students and quickly rising, scheduling is a true nightmare.

Back to work for me! I have a meeting at 10 am with my principal to discuss how we want to spend a $5000 donation from Hannah's family (they donated specifically to the library). I have some ideas but I can't get my dumb printer to work-- uggh!

bargoo
08-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Yes , Michele , I am moving, still in California to a town called Davis about 111 miles from where I now live. I am in the sorting, discarding, packing stage now.

traveling michele
08-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Yes , Michele , I am moving, still in California to a town called Davis about 111 miles from where I now live. I am in the sorting, discarding, packing stage now.

Good luck packing, etc. Yes, I'm familiar with Davis. Dd is looking there at UC Davis.:)

Megan1982
08-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Afternoon everyone,

Somebody out there must have really wanted to me to steam clean the carpets like I've been planning/procrastinating on for a few weeks, because I woke up at 3:00 AM (why is it always exactly 3:00 AM?) to a strange smell... yup, Emma accident on the carpet. I spent from 3-5 parading her up and down the street and working on those spots, and since I had extra detergent solution left in the tank, I hit another few "spots" that needed work. After sleeping in this morning, extra glad I got today off, I did the rest of the high traffic areas in the house. Can I just say how gross yet fascinating it is how much sand and dirt my regular vacuum misses. My earlier AM walk Emma and gym plans have been moved to this afternoon & evening - NBD. I'm also making some black bean "stoup", even though it's not exactly soup weather yet. I've been craving it.

I'm laughing about wanting trees to hit your car. My Honda Civic is 12 years old. The paint looks horrible and I do need a new muffler but I love the car! I joke about wanting someone to steal it so I can get something new and shiny... but I really don't. I've only had to do fairly minimal maintenance to it, it runs pretty reliably, and you really can't beat the gas mileage.

Michele, I'm sure with all the budget troubles the gift from Hannah's family will be able to make a difference in the library. GL w all your scheduling and school starting!

I'm sure I would love to design my own home and space, but I know it would be a lot of work like you all say! There are advantages to renting. Though my landlady just told me that if I'd like to get some sort of awning/shade on the porch to go ahead (at her expense). It really could use it, so I need to start researching possibilities and making decisions there!

Have a good afternoon and week, all!

Mudpie
08-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Our last place was our first apartment together where we were allowed to do stuff so I went a little crazy with repainting everything (although it badly needed it). I found out what a perfectionist DH is at that time. He spent over a week prepping the kitchen for painting. And another week painting it. It was 2 colours + white and it looked absolutely smashing when it was done. Our landlady was so impressed she reimbursed us for all the paint and supplies and new knobs for all the cabinets and drawers.

It took DH and myself 3 months of arguing and talking and comparing to pick the colours for the kitchen.

I shudder to think what will happen when I buy a house. DH will probably let me pick all the colours and then whine the whole time we live there. :p

I am OP today and am at 1400 cals with 100 left over for my evening snack. I have a small can of flavoured tuna ready. It is so different from what I normally snack on that I'm hoping it breaks me out of my "fruit/carbs" in the evening rut.

Good evening all!

Dagmar :yoga:

saef
08-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Bill, I seem to do all my browsing online these days, so when I needed knobs for my cabinets, I ended up on sites like knobs4less.com and knobsandhardware.com. But when I bought them finally, it was on eBay. Mine have a colored enamel Arts & Crafts design on them in blue and green. When I saw them, I just knew they were right. It's like love at first sight in the movies. That has sort of become my requirement with home furnishings. I have to feel **compelled** since I'm making a long-term commitment to living with them. I have to feel okay with waking up and seeing them first thing in the morning and then again before I go to bed at night ... you see the analogy? ;-)

I can't believe how good it feels to be Upstate in the country. It's not just the change of scenery, it's the change of routine. I feel as if I am convalescing. And no that word isn't too strong for the relief I am feeling.

Now off to the declining gym in town. To the weight section which is only used by seniors receiving physical therapy and large men who look as though they lift things onto and off trucks for a living. I feel odd there but want to continue my lifting especially with such a spacious area full of equipment.

Mudpie
08-23-2011, 05:08 PM
. . . moderator Meg and Alaska Pat? Anyone ever hear from either of them? Just curious.

Dagmar :dizzy:

bargoo
08-23-2011, 06:55 PM
I have wondered about Meg, too. She was such an inspiration to me when I hit goal and didn't know how I could stay there. The last I remember was when she was going to New Mexico when her daughter was having a baby.

alinnell
08-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Trying to catch up here...

So lucky on your car, Dagmar!

I've never been a wall paper kind of person, so I can't comment on that, but as for drawer pulls, there are always too many to choose from. Thankfully my house isn't the "type" that needs any kind of decorative knobs, so I don't have to look at them.

Bargoo~my DD got rid of her bar stools, too. No one sat on them, ever. I have a type of bar in my kitchen, but it is actually our kitchen table, but at bar height. I bought more of a bar chair than a stool and we use them all the time.

I know Meg is in NM with her daughter and grandchild and last I heard from Pat she was traveling somewhere again. A couple of you are FB friends with Pat, right? Perhaps send her a message. As for Meg, I'm wondering if she is even still a moderator here? Is there any way to tell? Perhaps Mel will chime in and let us know....

Tomorrow is our last vacation day. We hope to be home early enough to get all the laundry done before heading back to work on Thursday. DS missed school registration on Monday so has to do make-up registration Thursday for school to start on Monday.

It is hot here! We're in Mesquite Nevada and I'm sure it's around 110 but it is hotter at home. But at home we aren't at the mercy of the RV AC system. Our house AC is much more efficient.

Everyone have a good rest of the week. I may not be back until sometime on Thursday when I'm back and work and have everything caught up.

traveling michele
08-24-2011, 01:15 AM
I am fb friends with Pat and I'm pretty sure she has been posting here occasionally? I think retirement is keeping her busy and she is traveling a great deal.

I don't know about Meg but I miss her posts as well.

Mudpie
08-24-2011, 07:01 AM
I signed up for a day-long bus trip to Niagara Falls and surrounding areas, starting off with a visit to a winery :celebrate: and Niagara-on-the-Lake. I assumed it would be for older adults as they seem to be attracted to these types of excursions. It was offered as a "Groupon" online.

Turns out it's run by the "International Student Exchange". My first impulse was to cancel but then I thought, what the heck! :shrug: I spend my days among white, middle-class adults, and come home to DH. Why not spend a day with some younger people from other lands? I might learn quite a bit from them and get a chance to practice my rusty social skills at the same time.

Plus there's the magnificence of Niagara Falls, and all the tacky tourist stuff (which I love). And I'm going to splurge and get myself an ice cream cone :drool: at a place I remember from when DH and I went 5 years ago. Might even cross the border and pick up some american bourbon (if that's allowed - not sure).

Good hump day all!

Shannon in ATL
08-24-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm tired today.

I'm FB friends with Pat as well, and she seems to be just fine. Her cat got a bird on her porch this week. No idea about Meg, but I've wondered about her as well.

Dagmar - enjoy your Niagra Fallls adventure!

Allison - enjoy the last day of your vacation!

Megan - sorry about the carpet adventures, but at least everything is all nice and clean now. :)

midwife
08-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I'm also FB friends with Pat and she checks in now and again with her adventures! Meg has been super busy with her adorable granddaughter and last I heard she is doing well.

traveling michele
08-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Feeling melancholy today.
Today is the first day of school for my dd. It is her Senior year. After this year I will have no children at home. Sigh.... the good and the bad of having my children young.... when my mom was my age, I was 4.....

Mudpie
08-24-2011, 04:30 PM
I will probably be hanging around here this evening. Day 3 when I'm OP is always difficult for me. Add to that my "policeman" DH is away :devil: at band camp tonite so I can have free run of the kitchen. And I had a frustrating :stress: day due to major traffic and construction tie ups. Recipe for disaster :eek: but I'm totally aware of that.

I have the plan to take my new dress out again and put it on, complete with all the trimmings whenever I want to eat this evening. That should break my pattern nicely. :chin:

And I will probably lurk here. My posts will be pretty boring - I want to eat AACCK! - so I will keep those to a minimum. :p

Dagmar :goodscale:

Shannon in ATL
08-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Trying on the dress will help, Dagmar. Be strong!

alinnell
08-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Ugh. Just returned from vacation to the hottest day of the year here (119). Thankfully it's only a 2 day work week for us. Although I wonder what we'll do until the temperatures return to normal (105-ish).

Mudpie
08-25-2011, 05:54 AM
Day 4 OP :flow2:

I tried on that darn dress 3 times last night (compete with undies, pantyhose-those felt pretty weird after a summer of bare legs, and jewellery). And it worked :yay:.

It helped that I only had the TV on for 1 specific program and spent the rest of the night reading. And that there were no trigger foods in the house. I thought about going to the grocery store a couple of times and then it began to thunder, lightning and rain!

Good to know I CAN still break these negative patterns (with a little help from Mother Nature and 3FC).

Good Thursday all!

Dagmar :dance:

saef
08-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Dagmar, about those negative patterns, what seems to help me is changing them up in some way. If it happens because I am alone, I try to call up someone who I've been meaning to check in with. If it happens because of empty time, I do something that I've been putting off doing. If I can really become absorbed in that thing, I mean genuinely absorbed, beyond "this is my distraction from mindless eating," then I'm safe. The greatest safeguard against binges due to anxiety or boredom for me is entering into that "flow" state. Also those brief moments when I feel I have peace of mind, when I'm not remembering or anticipating anything that gives me anxiety. Sometimes, though, it doesn't work. Sometimes I just feel like I'm distracting myself with one thing after another, till I have to go to bed, and I feel I'm engaged in an ongoing battle, and it's tiring. I can't do that forever. I can only do that for a few hours at best. But if I do attain that state of "flow" I know that I'll be all right.

alinnell
08-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Up three pounds from my vacation. Back on it today as I must lose as much as possible before my next vacation that will be a week filled with bathing suits. While on vacation, I bought several trigger foods. Granted none of them have been opened, and as long as I don't open them, I won't be eating them. But just having them in the pantry is in my mind. I'll stop at the store for some leafy greens this afternoon.

We came home to the hottest day of the year--119 in Palm Desert. Granted it was low humidity, but even that hot we can't run our evaporative coolers as they just can't keep up. We usually can run them up to 110, but even then it's pushing it.

I may have to run hime this morning to take DS to school for registration. He has his car, but at the moment he is blocked in by the motor home. I don't know when DH plans on taking it back to storage.

traveling michele
08-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Allison-- personally I would get those trigger foods out of your house. If you are thinking about them, you may end up with a weak moment.... or at least I would!

Shannon in ATL
08-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Allison - I would also have to get the foods out. I find that once I start thinking about them I'm going to eat them if I can get to them.

Dagmar - glad that the dress technique worked!

I imploded a little with food yesterday, still kept the calories at the high 1900 range, but didn't do it with good for me food.

saef
08-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Oh, and Dagmar, I want some luck from you -- please send some my way -- the kind of luck that spared your car from a falling tree.

I'm extremely concerned about the wind and particularly the rains that Hurricane Irene may send my way. I'm not on the coast, but I live in a low-lying area. Back in 2007, my apartment -- not owned by me yet, and empty, as it was part of an estate -- flooded after a similar storm and was completely ruined. The water rose within a few inches of the ceiling. The neighboring garden apartments, all occupied, had to be evacuated. People stayed with the upstairs neighbors. Finally, people were evacuated from the complex on boats and rafts. It was an expensive & time-consuming cleanup, and the apartment I now own was completely renovated afterward. Therein lay its appeal for me: A prewar apartment, but completely redone, rewired, refloored, etc. I knew about the history of the storm but everyone said that was a once in a lifetime event & so I gambled.

Was I wrong to gamble? Were all my neighbors who moved back into these apartments or bought the newly emptied apartments all wrong, too?

Now that I'm back in town from visiting my mother -- just hours after my arrival -- I went up to get the NY Times from this past weekend and discovered that the building's management had posted two pages of instructions and listed precautions about the storm. One thing they made clear: Residents of garden apartments (like mine) should be making arrangements to stay with someone through the storm on Saturday night through all of Sunday and through the cleanup afterward. My God. And I just got here today from Upstate, after a nearly five-hour drive. I'm supposed to go back to work on Monday.

I am feeling sort of sick over this.

I need some luck and yes, perhaps prayers.

traveling michele
08-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Prayers said here for you Saef. Oh my. I need to pay attention to the news and probably call my elderly Uncle in Rhode Island.

silverbirch
08-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Goodness me, saef. :hug: Was this just shoved in your letterbox? What do your neighbours say?

Beaming positive vibes your way, of course. If you could teleport yourself and stuff here, you'd be most welcome to stay. And I'd even take you to a china museum to take your mind off things.

Very good luck.

alinnell
08-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Oh, my, Saef! I certainly hope that no flooding occurs in your area! I once lived in a 100 year flood plain and was required to have flood insurance. Of course, even with the worst of flooding around us, we never had a problem. I hope the same for you. Perhaps a little rain and wind but no more. You take care and know we're all thinking the best of you.

So I just made my flight arrangements to fly to Hawaii next June. I was hoping to fly first class. Nope, it more than doubled the price. My DS and I were lucky to fly first class (the attendant moved us up) and wow was it nice. And then flying back--in the very back of a very cramped plane--was a huge let-down. But when faced with $11,000 vs $4500, I'll take $4500 any day.

midwife
08-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Oh no, Saef. Yikes!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Allison, that is insanely hot. And I like hot.

Mudpie
08-25-2011, 06:40 PM
saef :luck2you: This is not the best smilie but the HTML code says "luck2you". Oh and this one too :crossed:

I hope the weather is not as dire as your building's management seems to think it will be. Do you have flood insurance? You might want to try to move some of your more precious possesions into higher areas ie chairs on tables etc. or maybe one of your neighbours or friends would let you take some things to their place temporarily?

Not a nice end to your vacation. I'm so sorry - it sounded like you had a great time upstate and now to have to come home to this.

Dagmar :hug:

BillBlueEyes
08-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Such dire warning, Saef, Good luck to you.

And would you kindly consume as much of its energy as you can since it's on the way to me afterwards, LOL. We're taking things inside and tieing down what has to stay outdoors.

JayEll
08-25-2011, 07:27 PM
saef, by tomorrow afternoon things will be clearer, but at this point all the computer models are showing the storm going right up the coast and through or close to Connecticut. If it goes inland, then it should weaken below hurricane strength and might just be a bad rainstorm. Models are only models, and things can change at any time! But, you might start thinking about what you would want and could take with you if you needed to leave on Saturday.

As you might guess, I watch these things pretty closely. I am hoping that the storm will weaken.

Jay

fitmom
08-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Well, good thing my DH didn't listen to me about wanting to go down to the Jersey Shore this weekend, they are in an official state of emergency. Between Irene due to make landfall here Saturday afternoon and the aftershocks of the earthquake this past week, it's like the end of the world, lol. I don't know about running tomorrow morning, I'll have to play it by ear.

bargoo
08-25-2011, 08:37 PM
saef, praying for you and your neighbors as well that you will be safe and Irene will not hit your area.

saef
08-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks all for your best wishes and prayers. I do appreciate them truly. I am praying myself ... and it takes a lot for that to happen.

Mike Bloomberg's press conferences this afternoon & this evening saying that the trains and subways were being suspended did nothing to allay my fears.

As for the notice from the building's management, Birchie, what happened was that I went up to the lobby to my mailbox to get this past weekend's Times (which I knew would be crowding out my magazine slot) and discovered Ladovic, one of the building superintendents, in the act of posting the notice in the lobby. I was the first in our building to read it.

I am now hearing that they are predicting landfall at 6 PM on Saturday night. I don't know if that is up to date. I never know how much information is enough & how much is too much, feeding some kind of continuous loop of escalating anxiety.

Jay, when you watch the progress of the storm, watch for New York, rather than Connecticut. I work in Connecticut but live in New York. If my employer's offices are flooded, hey, I can live with that.

Here is my selfish worry. Not just about human safety. That of course is paramount. But also because, in my apartment in NY, I have a lot of decent American Federal and early Empire period furniture. If it is lost, too waterlogged to salvage, I'll be very sad. I enjoyed hunting for and finding each piece, one at a time, in various shops in NY, PA & New England, in country auctions, and out on the fields in summer outdoor antique shows (like the one I went to this past weekend). They are not easy to replace. Someone spent a long time making each one -- some craftsman working in a shop, hand carving many parts. This furniture survived this long, it deserves another 200-170 years on this earth. I would be terribly sorry if it were irreparably damaged while under my custodianship. (I felt quite badly about breaking an old plate, and the prospect of six rooms full of drowned antique furniture really has me gloomy.)

Damn it, this all feels like some sort of divine plot to rid me of my probably too-deep attachment to Things.

Bill, I do hope this blows out to sea and very little happens. Like that hurricane this time last year, which frightened us all out on the Cape, and then ended up just being a steady daylong rainfall and a stiff breeze.

Shannon in ATL
08-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Thinking about you, Saef. I'll keep my eyes on NY weather Saturday night and hope it doesn't come in hard on you guys. And that it doesn't go on to Bill as well.

JayEll
08-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Landfall, at least the initial landfall, is supposed to be in North Carolina. That's pretty far away from you, saef. Looks like the center doesn't get up to New Jersey until Sunday afternoon.

Keep thinking fizzle...

Jay

Mudpie
08-26-2011, 05:58 AM
saef and Bill and anyone else who isn't sure about Irene's impact.

I watched about 30 minutes of weather "coverage" last night and it looks like they don't really know what is going to happen but are throwing out all sorts of theories. If someone were to tune in and not see the preceding minute which said something was a total hypothesis they would be led to believe that the southern tip of Manhattan was going to be completely flooded. People are starting to panic because of too much info about all this.

I think they should have a banner on screen at all times saying "this is a simulation of the worst case scenario, not what is actually happening".

There are good weather site online with rapid updates (we have a federal government one called "Environment Canada"). If you all can find one of those you should be able to get accurate info, rather than supposition.
But you all are probably aware of that already.

Jay Where are you getting your info (and is Florida in any danger?).

Dagmar :hug:

Mudpie
08-26-2011, 06:02 AM
I am totally mad :mad: at myself this morning. I was OP for 4 days in a row as of last night and feeling very proud of myself and optimistic that I could finally get on with the business of getting to goal. :goodscale:

Then DH pulled out the chips :devil:. And, like a good little robot I sat there and ate them with him. That is just totally stupid behaviour on my part. I don't have to eat to keep him company - I KNOW that!

Picking myself up etc. today.

Dagmar :kickbutt:

JayEll
08-26-2011, 06:57 AM
The news media always whip people into a frenzy. They need to sell advertising. On the one hand, if it means more people will get out of the way of danger, that's a good thing. On the other hand, panic is never a good thing.

Hurricane Irene is already past Florida. The east coast of Fla. got some high surf and rain, but we had no rain here (west coast) and partly cloudy skies. Distance makes a big difference.

I like the Weather Underground website, www.wunderground.com. Click "Severe Weather" and choose Tropical & Hurricane. Once there, scroll down below the big map, and you'll see listings for individual storms. Click Hurricane Irene, and you'll have a variety of map options.

I like to look at the computer models. They are all extrapolations from known data and past histories, and therefore are not set in stone, but sometimes the individual simulations give very different tracks, which means it's anyone's guess. This time, not so much--all the tracks are very similar. But, it's still not set in stone.

Jay

Mudpie
08-26-2011, 07:40 AM
After seeing saef's post about her apartment contents I got to thinking about what I would take if I had 30 minutes to evacuate.

DH
Cats (and special food and meds for same)
Insurance and other paperwork for this house and my dad's
Computer
My jewellery (already packed in jewellery boxes and easy to sell)
Clothes for myself and DH
Blanket and flashlights

I could get it packed up in 20 minutes and have 10 to spare, sipping a diet Pepsi :p and watching DH run around trying to decide what he's taking.

I'm kinda glad I switched to cheap generic furniture after I lost all of my "junk jewels" (curbside stuff that I had refinished myself). No heartbreak that way.

Megan1982
08-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Morning all,

If the hurricane is stressing you out, Saef and Bill, I would really suggest NOT watching the weather channel. The anchors and field forecasters really overdramatize every single storm. My cable is out, but I imagine TWC is playing the same dramatic music to intro a storm coverage segment that they always play. With hurricanes they never really know, they always blow it up and dramatize. I'm not saying you should not take proper precautions and prepare to evacuate, prep your apt., etc. but watching the weather channel will probably not be good for your nerves. This is from someone who lives in Florida and like Jay has become a "weather nerd" (yes, I've checked all the models on 4 different weather websites - and BTW they do an 11:00 AM and 2:00 PM update to those models, so that's when they'll change if they're going to), but I still get extremely upset and filled with anxiety when we're facing a storm and usually end up avoiding the TV in the "countdown" hours.

Saef, as someone suggested, would it be possible to store some of your furniture with an upstairs neighbor? (Did you ever give your extra veggies to a neighbor before vacation - maybe that one will do you a favor?) Or is there any storage space or empty apts you could talk someone into letting you use? I'm :crossed: for a fizzling storm.

Allison, yipes, $11K? I flew first class too, once. Gosh it was nice. Probably never will again.

Dagmar, stay away from the chips! You do not need to eat/drink what DH eats to keep him company (I may need to you remind me of this once in a while - just sub in BF).

I've been slacking on Emma's walks this week bc I've been so tired from work, so I dropped her off at doggy day care today. I think that officially makes me a Crazy Dog Mom, lol. I don't mean it to take the place of my walking her but it will help wear her out, and she can play with other dogs since it's hard for me to let her off her leash when we're not in a fenced-in place. The drop-offs and pick-ups are tough logistically when I'm headed out in the field early but on days I'm in the office I can do it. I think someone has decided to make sushi tonight... at my house... so I suppose I will go home and clean up! I can make a gym trip during lunch today.

Have a good weekend all. Keep checking in with us while you can, Saef, and let us know if you evacuate! You too, Bill!

alinnell
08-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Along Dagmar's list of things to grab in case of emergency (earthquake here):

~pets and food
~photos
~computer (laptops are so conveniently portable) and it's backup
~water

DH and DS can fend for themselves (LOL)

I suppose insurance stuff should be high on that list as well. Makes me think it would do me good to create a database on my computer with all the names, policy numbers, contact information, etc. and store it on the computer.

Megan~$11k is for 4 tickets. I think I'm paying just over $1000 per ticket now and it would have been up to $5000 per ticket for first class. And don't you go feeling like a crazy dog mom for using a doggy daycare. I have lots of friends who do that for the simple reason of socializing the dogs and wearing them out.

I'm going to check out the weather underground, Jay. I usually rely on AccuWeather.

bargoo
08-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Bill, I do hope this blows out to sea and very little happens. Like that hurricane this time last year, which frightened us all out on the Cape, and then ended up just being a steady daylong rainfall and a stiff breeze.

saef, I was once visiting Hawaii on the island of Maui and was evacuated from my hotel because of a Tsunami warning, we were taken to a golf course which was on higher ground , we were left there several hours and every so often police cars would come by giving an update such as " It is now approaching the Big Island (Hawaii) ". IT NEVER HAPPENED. I pray the same will be the case for the Eastern Seaboard. While it is wise to take precautions , I understand your anxiety and pray all will be well.

fitmom
08-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Well, I've been evacuated too. My DH and two DS packed up a few essentials and headed northwest to some relatives house where we'll most likely spend the better part of the next few days. I lived through the earthquake and now this...I mean, what the heck are the chances of two major things like that happening in the very same week?!? Stay safe everyone.

traveling michele
08-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Still praying for you Saef and for everyone else in the path.

When I was a freshman in college, the apartment building right next to my building caught on fire. The firemen banged on our door and told us to get out immediately. My roommates ran around like fools grabbing the dumbest things. Me? I grabbed my purse and my dog and left. Granted I didn't have much then but I felt those were the two most important items. My apartment building didn't end up burning and just had minor damage from smoke and water on the outside. If I had to do it today? That is much harder. I think my dh, my kids, my pets..... obviously... and then? My jewelry, and photo albums if possible.

saef
08-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Keep praying, all, please, please.

This is going to be bad at my building. And the awful thing is, just a half-mile away, where ground is higher, it will be as nothing to them, just a hard, hard rain, and power outages -- while my lifetime collection drowns. It's surreal that people that near each other can have such different experiences of the same event. (But I learned this already when my father was dying of cancer. My family was under unbearable stress and full of black sorrow & the world went on oblivious all around us, at all times.)

I am no longer rational. I go through extreme panic and then resignation and then back to denial.

People in the garden apartments around me have been sharing their evacuation plans. One nice woman let me carry up antique quilts, my jewelry and fur coat, and also a carved 1825 table, and put them in her empty spare bedroom. I am going to try to prevail upon her to give refuge to my papier mache table and chair and my Art Nouveau folding screen. (They will all fit.)

I just made a reservation at a somewhat nasty Super 8 in Connecticut, near my office, since that was the only place around that wasn't completely booked & all they had left were "smoking" rooms.

Now they say the storm will hit at 3 AM on Sunday and last through about 3 PM Sunday, with the worst between 3-8 AM. This is why I have a hotel reservation. I don't want to have to evacuate in the middle of the night or keep vigil all night here. I don't have nerves of steel.

midwife
08-26-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm sorry, Saef. :hug: I wish you could transport your belongings and yourself here. I'm glad your neighbor can keep some of your things for you

saef
08-26-2011, 09:19 PM
You know what's interesting also about this whole experience? It's that I thought, two weeks ago, that my life was extremely stressful because I was working at all hours. I thought life plain s*cked because I was up several pounds. But I felt fairly safe in my bed at night & I liked coming home, having all my things around me. Now those look like the good old days, and I see my complaints were comparatively minor, the annoyances of a privileged woman who acceded readily to these stresses. Okay, so the lesson is that if you think life is difficult, just wait, because it could get more difficult, and then the life you have now will look easy & golden.

Anyway my kindly neighbor has taken in those last three items of furniture -- those that are portable -- and offered to take more. But I'm fried. When I get extremely stressed, for a long period of time, I get really tired. I start not caring. It must be a defense mechanism, that makes me check out temporarily. I need to go to bed. Nothing's happening till tomorrow or even early Sunday. Then 10 inches of rain all at once and winds up to 60 mph.

alinnell
08-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Saef, it is so nice of your neighbor to offer her extra room for your items. It'll most likely build a lifetime friendship or something close to that. I hope you'll be able to store most of your most valuable things there for the duration. And as bad as Super 8 may be, it's gotta be better than Motel 6. Take care and we're all thinking of you.

Perhaps you should think about this which I posted on FB today: Everything in life is temporary. So if things are going good, enjoy it because it won't last forever. And if things are going bad, don't worry because it can't last forever either.

bargoo
08-26-2011, 09:27 PM
saef, continuing to pray for you. My prayer is that you will be safe.

JayEll
08-26-2011, 10:30 PM
saef, it is excellent that you have prepared as much as you can. Good that you have a place to go to. You have done the right things.

But at the same time, hold on to the reality that you don't know for certain how it's going to be--and neither does anyone else. Predictions can change. We can hope for the best no matter what.

In 2004, we were evacuating every other week because a hurricane was coming. These were not small storms, either. But we did learn how to prepare and what to have ready during the season. It came in handy in 2005, when they ran out of alphabet letters for the storms, remember that? But we also learned that just because the media is howling doesn't mean disaster is certain.

Hope for the best and stay safe!

Jay

Mudpie
08-27-2011, 05:45 AM
saef :hug:

:grouphug: to anyone else who is also battening down the hatches.

Daqgmar :(

EZMONEY
08-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Continued prayers for SAEF, BILL and all others in Irene's way.....

saef
08-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks, all, for your prayers, and yes, I'll hope for the best while preparing for the worst. Logging off now to pack the food in the car and drive to the motel.

Some surreal moments during the storm:

Me reading grams of carbs & sugar content & etc. on the tiny print on the energy bars in the store. With just an hour or two left before having to move my car off the property under management's orders.

The health food store is open in our village. I wanted to get a handful of energy bars. A woman in line called the clerk over to the fresh juice bar & took her time picking out fruit, wheatgrass, etc. for her smoothie. I gave up, stalked off.

The empty racks for batteries. Cleaned out. Same for milk in the grocery store. Also the rotisserie chickens.

The college students stalking around town with their parents looking for last-minute stuff. Yes, the college not far from me is indeed letting its freshmen move in today, since it's just overcast & raining lightly right now & the college is on high ground.

All the neighbors saying goodbye to me.

The neighbor I just saw cross the courtyard carrying a folded-up mattress.

I'm logging off & out of here. I don't remember if the motel has Wi-Fi or not, so don't be alarmed if I don't check in for a day or more.

May everyone be safe, including me, saef.

Shannon in ATL
08-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Thinking about you, Saef. And everyone else impacted by this.

silverbirch
08-28-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm sending encouraging thoughts, saef. :)

Mudpie
08-28-2011, 06:55 PM
The online version of our local newspaper reports that seawater did reach lower Manhattan (including a video of a young woman in a dress sloshing through it up to her knees) but it doesn't say how much or how bad the damage was.

Sending positive thoughts re your apartment saef.

Dagmar :)