Weight Loss Surgery - Hospital Gowns - YUK

View Full Version : Hospital Gowns - YUK

lindalell
01-24-2003, 12:27 AM
When I had my surgery, the hospital gowns were "Petite" size, I think. After the first day, My mother went home and sewed me a couple of life-size gowns, split up the back and with a tie at the neck. I used them without asking for anyone's permission. I was in the Hospital for a week and had IV's in for 5 days so the Standard Issue Hospital Gowns would have been a real pain. I don't think they have improved much. I had surgery on my arm a couple of months ago (had a steel bar bolted to my left arm due to a bad break) and the gowns I had to wear for surgery were no better 20 years later. At least I was only there for one day. Do the hospitals provide better gowns for WLS patients now?

debkay
01-24-2003, 07:46 AM
Linda, while I was in the hospital after my initial surgery, not only did they have gowns to fit........my over 300 pound body was swallowed up by them!!

The hospital that I had my surgery at, has a whole floor for nothing but bariatric (sp) patients. The nurse's know that caring for obese patients can be a little diffrent than caring for a normal sized patient.

I had a male nurse hold my hand for over a half hour trying to comfort me after they found I had a leak, which of course required a second surgery.

Don't worry, they can take care of you now.

Debbie

jiffypop
01-24-2003, 03:26 PM
yep!!! the gowns fit. and that's one of the reasons to choose a surgeon who's affiliated with an obesity program, and to chekc out hte hospital beforehand. you get the best care the hospital and surgeon can give right around the surgery, so if it's not the RIGHT kind of care then, it'll only get worse as time goes on!