Weight Loss Support - What is wrong with me??

View Full Version : What is wrong with me??

Panacea86
08-18-2011, 04:19 PM
I have been utilizing this site for recipes/tips for about a year, but decided to register for the forum because I'm in need of some help.

Backstory: I'm 25, 5'7, and I weighed 280 in March, 2010. I had been well over 250 for a couple years. Hadn't been under 200 since I was 14!!! :o

Well, over the past 18 months, I have lost 93lbs and weigh about 187. My goal weight is 140, so I have a loooong way to go. In that time, I haven't had ANY fast food items besides low calorie Subway options. As a girl who used to sit in her car cramming down 4 McDonald's double cheeseburgers and 2 McChicken's on her lunch break, I'm proud of that fact.

Ok. For the past couple weeks, when left alone at work, I sneak in the candy bins (we use the candy as rewards for our kid clients) and have been eating candy bars! :o:o I'm totally mortified with myself, and I sit there, eating it, thinking "WHAT ARE YOU DOING???????" I just cannot stop.

Otherwise, I still eat fine, even with those candy bars I stay under 1600 calories daily, and I actually have lost weight :?: but I know these are bad, and I have PCOS/insulin resistance so this is a huge no no.

HELP! I need support/advice, and I know you guys are the best for help.

EagleRiverDee
08-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Cravings can be huge, and you have to find a way to deal with it that works for YOU.

I'll give you an example. I'm not suggesting you do this, but it works for me. I was drinking alcohol. Not getting drunk, but I liked to have a drink or two every night. I don't like to get buzzed or drunk, so I think what I was actually craving was the alcohol sugars because when I'd decide to quit drinking what would happen is I'd start eating sweets instead. What worked for me was to promise God that I would not drink alcohol or eat sweets because I know these are empty calories. I have a moderate faith and so to me the idea of breaking a promise to God would be a big no-no. And for me, it works. In fact, the cravings don't even happen, it's like because I know it's not an option I simply don't crave it anymore. So each time I'm struggling with a lifestyle change, I use my promise-to-God method. I keep my changes one month at a time so that I don't make it a promise I can't continue.

Another thing that has been helping me lately is joining accountability groups. I recently re-started P90X and to stay motivated I watch the success stories on YouTube, and participate in 3 accountability threads (two on a forum and one on Facebook). I find that simply telling someone I'm going to do something makes me want to do it, so I don't feel like I fibbed.

PreciousMissy
08-18-2011, 04:33 PM
When I first started it was hard to deal with the numerous candy dishes around the office! I decided every time I thought about them I would take a HUGE drink of water. It helped me up my water intake substantially ;). Now I am able to walk by the dishes and know I don't want them now.

I don't think it's the craving that you have to fight, it's the convenience of having them right there. If you have an old picture of you at your highest weight maybe you should keep that visible for your own motivation.

Lovely
08-18-2011, 04:35 PM
:hug:

First off: Congratulations on your amazing progress!!!

So onto the meat of it:

Why are you going for them?

Are you bored? Lonely? Craving something sweet? Or is it just the fact that they're available?

Would telling yourself that those candy bars are NOT YOURS help any?

Flex your resistance! Tell yourself "no" one day... but have a non-food reward planned to reward yourself when you get through a week without touching the candy.

Panacea86
08-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Cravings can be huge, and you have to find a way to deal with it that works for YOU.

I'll give you an example. I'm not suggesting you do this, but it works for me. I was drinking alcohol. Not getting drunk, but I liked to have a drink or two every night. I don't like to get buzzed or drunk, so I think what I was actually craving was the alcohol sugars because when I'd decide to quit drinking what would happen is I'd start eating sweets instead. What worked for me was to promise God that I would not drink alcohol or eat sweets because I know these are empty calories. I have a moderate faith and so to me the idea of breaking a promise to God would be a big no-no. And for me, it works. In fact, the cravings don't even happen, it's like because I know it's not an option I simply don't crave it anymore. So each time I'm struggling with a lifestyle change, I use my promise-to-God method. I keep my changes one month at a time so that I don't make it a promise I can't continue.

Another thing that has been helping me lately is joining accountability groups. I recently re-started P90X and to stay motivated I watch the success stories on YouTube, and participate in 3 accountability threads (two on a forum and one on Facebook). I find that simply telling someone I'm going to do something makes me want to do it, so I don't feel like I fibbed.

Thank you for this! I don't have a faith system, but you have me thinking. A reward system could help...maybe say I won't buy something or watch a movie I had planned unless I go the week without binge eating.

I should participate in the weigh-in threads here, thanks again!

Panacea86
08-18-2011, 04:47 PM
When I first started it was hard to deal with the numerous candy dishes around the office! I decided every time I thought about them I would take a HUGE drink of water. It helped me up my water intake substantially ;). Now I am able to walk by the dishes and know I don't want them now.

I don't think it's the craving that you have to fight, it's the convenience of having them right there. If you have an old picture of you at your highest weight maybe you should keep that visible for your own motivation.

Thank you!!
:( I have no before photos that show anything but my face. One of my biggest life regrets, honestly.

You're right about the water, I haven't had as much as I used to take in.

Panacea86
08-18-2011, 04:51 PM

First off: Congratulations on your amazing progress!!!

So onto the meat of it:

Why are you going for them?

Are you bored? Lonely? Craving something sweet? Or is it just the fact that they're available?

Would telling yourself that those candy bars are NOT YOURS help any?

Flex your resistance! Tell yourself "no" one day... but have a non-food reward planned to reward yourself when you get through a week without touching the candy.

Thank you so much!

The why's: Extreme boredom at work, stress and anxiety from a crumbling home life, being hungry (I eat like 4-5 small snacks at work that add up to 500-800 calories and sometimes I'm still so hungry) and being alone in the office. I won't ever eat bad food in front of others. Good to know my triggers.

That's a good idea too, to say they're not mine to eat.

Ugh, it's so crazy, I'd done so well for so long and then I do this? I don't even WANT the candy bars, I'm eating them because they are there. If it was a basket of carrots I'd binge on those too.

JayEll
08-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Is your food plan too strict? Is it becoming boring? Do you have "diet fatigue"? Take a good look at it. Maybe your carbs are too low--and you can raise them slightly with complex carbs, not sugar. Maybe you aren't getting enough protein and you could increase that.

You need to decide that those candy bars are NOT YOURS to just take and eat. And they aren't yours, right? You're essentially stealing them. Make a pact with yourself that if you want a candy bar, you have to leave and go to a store and buy one, not eat the kids' candy when no one is around (as though that doesn't count).

But make sure you're getting enough nutrition otherwise.

Good luck!

Jay

PreciousMissy
08-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Sounds like you know why you're doing this...convenience ad stress...which is completely understandable.

You need to find the power to say no and ask yourself "will gaining the weight back that I've worked so hard to lose help my stress level?"

Panacea86
08-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Is your food plan too strict? Is it becoming boring? Do you have "diet fatigue"? Take a good look at it. Maybe your carbs are too low--and you can raise them slightly with complex carbs, not sugar. Maybe you aren't getting enough protein and you could increase that.

You need to decide that those candy bars are NOT YOURS to just take and eat. And they aren't yours, right? You're essentially stealing them. Make a pact with yourself that if you want a candy bar, you have to leave and go to a store and buy one, not eat the kids' candy when no one is around (as though that doesn't count).

But make sure you're getting enough nutrition otherwise.

Good luck!

Jay

I sound like a troll lol, the candy bars are for everyone's consumption, but you're right, they're not for my consumption. I have 50lbs to lose.

I thought of that too, I do have a really strict diet, mostly because of budgeting and needing to stay in a routine to prepare meals for work. I get at these impasses with my diet, and don't know what to eat.

Panacea86
08-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Sounds like you know why you're doing this...convenience ad stress...which is completely understandable.

You need to find the power to say no and ask yourself "will gaining the weight back that I've worked so hard to lose help my stress level?"

It surely won't lol. I think making this thread will help, I really needed to confess it, in some ways. To openly address this issue, because I'm sneaking these and no one knows. I could even pretend I didn't know. But if I put my feet to the fire and admit I'm doing this, maybe I can stop.

DietVet
08-18-2011, 08:30 PM
One thing that might help is to issue yourself a command and then forbid all discussion.

Tell yourself: I will not eat the candy bars at work--and really mean it.

And then when you find yourself thinking, 'Hm. I'd like some chocolate. Surely I can have one snickers without ruining my diet. You know, they're really not that bad and calories don't count when no one sees you eating them...etc, etc."

Then you tell yourself NO.

When the thoughts come back again, tell them NO. Not up for discussion.

It will become easier and easier to tell yourself NO and to silence the sabotaging thoughts.

And give yourself credit for every day that you don't give in. :)

ETA: And *Congrats* on the amazing weight loss!!!! Focus on your feelings of triumph and success!

Panacea86
08-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Thank you, DV! I suppose that because this is a lifestyle change and not a diet, so to speak, I will hit snags. I was just lucky enough not to hit any for a long time. I was so determined to lose this weight, I had nerves of steel. Coworkers have left pizza on my desk, waved plates of fries under my nose, but I knew what I wanted so it didn't faze me.

It's such a hard balance, to not restrict too much but then not eat bad food. I treat this like an addiction, but unlike drug/alcohol addictions, I can't abstain from mine. I surely can abstain from candy bars, and the thing I hate the most about this relapse is that I didn't even crave them. Just ate them because they were there. Bleh.

Today I have vowed to drink three of my 20oz water bottles at work today, so hopefully that will keep me busy and full between meals.

envelope
08-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Ugh, it's so crazy, I'd done so well for so long and then I do this? I don't even WANT the candy bars, I'm eating them because they are there. If it was a basket of carrots I'd binge on those too.

Sounds like you need to bring more snacks to work...maybe even some carrots!!! I think another one of your triggers for bingeing that you did not list is not eating enough through out the day. It is my BIGGEST trigger.

Bellamack
08-19-2011, 10:59 AM
You know the Ghirdelli individual squares or the Lindor individual balls? Take just ONE and put it in your desk, when the office is empty, take it out and take small bites and savor the taste of GOOD chocolate and drink a 16 oz bottle of water. You will be satisfyed with the "chocolate" fix, it is great tasting chocolate (you can get them with the Higher % cocoa-which is good for you) you will get in 2 more servings of H2O. All for between 35-50 Calories.

Panacea86
08-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Sounds like you need to bring more snacks to work...maybe even some carrots!!! I think another one of your triggers for bingeing that you did not list is not eating enough through out the day. It is my BIGGEST trigger.

I think you're right, and this is my biggest problem lol. I can be heard every night at 8pm, talking to myself in frustration, peering into my lunchbox with all of these bags and storage containers going "this looks like so much food! how much do I need to eat???" LOL

Here is what I usually pack and I space these things out like every two hours:

Turkey sausage: 130 cals
Apple: 100 cals?
Salad with tomatoes/cucs and free Italian dressing: like...50-70 cals max, because the dressing is 20 lol
Tuna with green beans and olive oil: 150 cals?
SF pudding: 80 cals
The maybe imitation crab meat with broccoli: 120 cals

That seems like so much food, but I'm always hungry and then I flip out and eat the candy bar by 3.

April Snow
08-19-2011, 11:12 AM
if you are eating 1600 calories a day, and still staying under that with eating the candy bars, then you are not eating enough good food. Try eating some more food, esp. protein and healthy fats like avocado and see if that helps - it seems like part of the issue is genuine hunger and you need to work on satisfying that and then you can deal with the sugar cravings, if they are still there.

Panacea86
08-19-2011, 11:13 AM
You know the Ghirdelli individual squares or the Lindor individual balls? Take just ONE and put it in your desk, when the office is empty, take it out and take small bites and savor the taste of GOOD chocolate and drink a 16 oz bottle of water. You will be satisfyed with the "chocolate" fix, it is great tasting chocolate (you can get them with the Higher % cocoa-which is good for you) you will get in 2 more servings of H2O. All for between 35-50 Calories.

Thank you for the suggestion. I used to eat a palmful of semisweet morsels here and there, but it's dangerous.

Maybe if I'm paying through the nose for expensive chocolate I won't binge :p

My chocolate cravings are usually quelled by SF pudding cups, I've eaten them throughout my whole diet. I think my body wants the fat. I used to eat a lot more avocados and olive oil, but it's very expensive for me to buy avocados regularly :(

April Snow
08-19-2011, 11:15 AM
ha, we cross posted as you were posting your food!

I would add things like a cheese stick along with the apple, some sort of protein with the salad, like a hardboiled egg, and if you are still hungry, add a bit more of the tuna and surimi.

Panacea86
08-19-2011, 11:17 AM
if you are eating 1600 calories a day, and still staying under that with eating the candy bars, then you are not eating enough good food. Try eating some more food, esp. protein and healthy fats like avocado and see if that helps - it seems like part of the issue is genuine hunger and you need to work on satisfying that and then you can deal with the sugar cravings, if they are still there.

Everything really went bad when I started making that salad a part of every lunch, hate to say it. I should add beans and low fat cheese or something to bulk it up, because I treat it as a meal when it is under 100 calories! Oy.

I actually fainted dead cold on the ground while visiting my mother in the hospital around Memorial Day because I hadn't eaten enough, and have the bruised facial bones to prove it :S

Maybe the quantity of food is tricking me into thinking I overeat, when I'm not getting enough. Ugh, the whole thing is so stressful to me. A constant game of math, trying to get enough food but not too much.

Thank again for all the help!

mamakat
08-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Do you refill the jar? If not, then someone knows that someone is eating them. You said you wouldn't binge in front of co-workers, whoever fills that bowl might find you out. Are you prepared for that? Like a wife finding her husband with a bottle in the sock drawer. She didn't see him doing it, but she knows. You are setting yourself up for even more shame.

You said you'd binge on carrots if they were there. So why don't you bring a bag to baby carrots to work. They are easy to pop in and crunch away and a whole lot less guilt.

I wish you all the best :)

JayEll
08-19-2011, 11:43 AM
When I looked at what you pack, I thought "not enough food." I agree with the poster who said you could add more protein, but also--where are your complex carbohydrates? An apple and some vegetables... not enough, IMO. Believe it or not, the body does need some carbs! Using my tracking program, it looks like you're getting 50 grams of carbs in all that food.

You might not feel so weak and have such bad cravings if you added a bit more. How about half a slice of whole-grain bread with your turkey sausage, plus a half-cup of fresh blueberries as a dessert, maybe added to a bit of lowfat yogurt? That would put you closer to 70 grams carbs.

Everyone is different, but I find that if I eat below about 100 grams of carbs per day while on weight loss, I don't feel right.

Good luck!
Jay

kaplods
08-19-2011, 11:58 AM
If you have insulin resistance, what's wrong with you is insulin resistance. Insulin resistance makes it very difficult to refrain from sugar and high-carb foods, because the more you eat, the hungrier you are and the more you crave.

With insulin resistance, it's often much easier to avoid concentrated carbs entirely than to indulge in them moderately. "Can't eat just one," really does seem to apply to all high-concentration carbs, not just candy and chips.

I can't eat dried fruit or even large amounts of fresh fruit, without setting myself up for an intense battle with hunger and cravings. I have to pay attention to the sugar and carb concentration in EVERYTHING (even condiments like barbecue and stir-fry sauces, which are my downfall).

I don't know if moderation will ever be possible with these foods for me. It's possible that losing weight will decrease the insulin resistance, and I will have a more normal blood sugar and hunger response to concentrated carb foods, but it's also possible that I will always find it easier to avoid than to indulge.

You may find luck with a higher calorie, lower carb diet. I was shocked to discover that to lose the same amount of weight, I can eat about 300 more calories on low-carb (I'm also much less hungry. I'm hungrier on 3000 calories of high-carb than on 1800 calories of low-carb. On high-carb, I can't eat enough to feel satisfied, because the more carbs I eat, the hungrier I feel. My stomach can feel unpleasantly full, and I'll still feel starved (an empty stomach is not the only physiological hunger cue. Blood sugar and hormone levels (including insulin) also trigger hunger cues.

It's the IR insulin cycle that creates an almost OCD response, that "can't stop eating, even though I'm feeling sick from eating too much" cycle.

I used to think I was food-addicted, now I realize I am carb-addicted. I have to be extremely careful with highly concentrated carbs (I haven't had to limit nonstarchy veggies or very low-sugar fruits).

For me, it's simple. If I eat a high-carb diet, I can't control my eating. If I eat a low- to moderate- carb diet, I can. Even one bite of something very high sugar can send me into a hunger/binge tailspin.

PreciousMissy
08-19-2011, 11:59 AM
I think you're right, and this is my biggest problem lol. I can be heard every night at 8pm, talking to myself in frustration, peering into my lunchbox with all of these bags and storage containers going "this looks like so much food! how much do I need to eat???" LOL

Here is what I usually pack and I space these things out like every two hours:

Turkey sausage: 130 cals
Apple: 100 cals?
Salad with tomatoes/cucs and free Italian dressing: like...50-70 cals max, because the dressing is 20 lol
Tuna with green beans and olive oil: 150 cals?
SF pudding: 80 cals
The maybe imitation crab meat with broccoli: 120 cals

That seems like so much food, but I'm always hungry and then I flip out and eat the candy bar by 3.

I just added up your list and it's only 650! I'm not going to get into the great calorie debate with anyone, but in my personal opinion that is not near enough to keep your body going. Kuddos to you for trying to do this the right way without pills, but no wonder you fainted.

I eat an average of 1200 per day (I just started calorie cycling) and it's working for me. Granted, I still have desires for cake and chocolate...a LOT...but I don't feel hungry all that often.

Maybe you could try a calorie counting site to help you (I use myfitnesspal.com). I know there is no way that I would be happy on 650 calories a day...I would be fatigued, have headaches, and the major grumpies haha.

JOLINA
08-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I was hungry all the time on less than 1600 calories a day.
And I was not eating empty calories. It was all good food choices.
Then I discovered the problem was due to my blood glucose levels getting too low when I exercized too much.

I was told to eat a peanut butter and honey sandwich on whole wheat bread. It does work to energize me and the hunger is a whole lot less now.
Today I am starving again. It is because I am moving heavy boxes due to flood damage. Geez, I'm hungry. :(

I also wake in the middle of the night very hungry. I read somewhere that eating a hard boiled egg before bedtime would stave off the midnight munchies.
It does work. I am not too fond of plain boiled eggs, so I chop it up and add a 1/2 tablespoon of mayonnaise.

I track all my calories on LoseIt.com
It is a fun way to keep track of everything I eat. And I like the colorful charts.

Maybe what you could do at work is to bring a few celery sticks with peanut butter every day.
Or set a basket of celery sticks and baby carrots next to that basket of candy.

Best of luck to you!

JOGGING ADVICE FOR THE OVERWEIGHT:
START SLOW, THEN TAPER OFF!

Panacea86
08-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Do you refill the jar? If not, then someone knows that someone is eating them. You said you wouldn't binge in front of co-workers, whoever fills that bowl might find you out. Are you prepared for that? Like a wife finding her husband with a bottle in the sock drawer. She didn't see him doing it, but she knows. You are setting yourself up for even more shame.

You said you'd binge on carrots if they were there. So why don't you bring a bag to baby carrots to work. They are easy to pop in and crunch away and a whole lot less guilt.

I wish you all the best :)

As I mentioned, all the coworkers eat them regularly, they are not off limits. The neighboring judge comes in and grabs about 5 kit kats at a time, and we all laugh about it. My confession is one for my diet and recovery on a personal level. If someone knew I ate them, they wouldn't care.

I know I'm no longer at risk of eating those candy bars, at least for now. It was enough just to put it out there in the open. Now on to preventing it again! lol

Thank you!

Panacea86
08-19-2011, 12:28 PM
When I looked at what you pack, I thought "not enough food." I agree with the poster who said you could add more protein, but also--where are your complex carbohydrates? An apple and some vegetables... not enough, IMO. Believe it or not, the body does need some carbs! Using my tracking program, it looks like you're getting 50 grams of carbs in all that food.

You might not feel so weak and have such bad cravings if you added a bit more. How about half a slice of whole-grain bread with your turkey sausage, plus a half-cup of fresh blueberries as a dessert, maybe added to a bit of lowfat yogurt? That would put you closer to 70 grams carbs.

Everyone is different, but I find that if I eat below about 100 grams of carbs per day while on weight loss, I don't feel right.

Good luck!
Jay

Thank you!
I am certainly a carbophobic. I tend to refuse to eat whole grain pasta, bread, oatmeal, brown rice. I don't lose weight when I eat it. I do eat Fiber One 80 cal cereal or Kashi here and there, but that's about it. I treat myself to the healthiest options at Subway less than twice per month.

I was eating plan oats with fruit and protein powder in the morning, and I'd get horrible low blood sugar and wasn't losing weight so I stopped that.

Argh.

Panacea86
08-19-2011, 12:31 PM
If you have insulin resistance, what's wrong with you is insulin resistance. Insulin resistance makes it very difficult to refrain from sugar and high-carb foods, because the more you eat, the hungrier you are and the more you crave.

With insulin resistance, it's often much easier to avoid concentrated carbs entirely than to indulge in them moderately. "Can't eat just one," really does seem to apply to all high-concentration carbs, not just candy and chips.

I can't eat dried fruit or even large amounts of fresh fruit, without setting myself up for an intense battle with hunger and cravings. I have to pay attention to the sugar and carb concentration in EVERYTHING (even condiments like barbecue and stir-fry sauces, which are my downfall).

I don't know if moderation will ever be possible with these foods for me. It's possible that losing weight will decrease the insulin resistance, and I will have a more normal blood sugar and hunger response to concentrated carb foods, but it's also possible that I will always find it easier to avoid than to indulge.

You may find luck with a higher calorie, lower carb diet. I was shocked to discover that to lose the same amount of weight, I can eat about 300 more calories on low-carb (I'm also much less hungry. I'm hungrier on 3000 calories of high-carb than on 1800 calories of low-carb. On high-carb, I can't eat enough to feel satisfied, because the more carbs I eat, the hungrier I feel. My stomach can feel unpleasantly full, and I'll still feel starved (an empty stomach is not the only physiological hunger cue. Blood sugar and hormone levels (including insulin) also trigger hunger cues.

It's the IR insulin cycle that creates an almost OCD response, that "can't stop eating, even though I'm feeling sick from eating too much" cycle.

I used to think I was food-addicted, now I realize I am carb-addicted. I have to be extremely careful with highly concentrated carbs (I haven't had to limit nonstarchy veggies or very low-sugar fruits).

For me, it's simple. If I eat a high-carb diet, I can't control my eating. If I eat a low- to moderate- carb diet, I can. Even one bite of something very high sugar can send me into a hunger/binge tailspin.

Thank you so much, this was very informative! I will say, I have PCOS, and no doctor/insurance, so I'm very in the dark about what my body specifically needs other than the general weight loss and healthy diet/exercise.

I think you're right about the carbs; it's all or nothing for me.

Panacea86
08-19-2011, 12:33 PM
I just added up your list and it's only 650! I'm not going to get into the great calorie debate with anyone, but in my personal opinion that is not near enough to keep your body going. Kuddos to you for trying to do this the right way without pills, but no wonder you fainted.

I eat an average of 1200 per day (I just started calorie cycling) and it's working for me. Granted, I still have desires for cake and chocolate...a LOT...but I don't feel hungry all that often.

Maybe you could try a calorie counting site to help you (I use myfitnesspal.com). I know there is no way that I would be happy on 650 calories a day...I would be fatigued, have headaches, and the major grumpies haha.

Oh that's just at work! I eat dinner after work, sorry!
I struggle with having a bottom heavy food schedule. My goal is to eat 900 calories at work and 400-500 calories at home, but I usually do the opposite :o 600 calories at work, and maybe 600-800 at home.

I think 1400-1500 calories per day would be good for me.

Panacea86
08-19-2011, 12:36 PM
I was hungry all the time on less than 1600 calories a day.
And I was not eating empty calories. It was all good food choices.
Then I discovered the problem was due to my blood glucose levels getting too low when I exercized too much.

I was told to eat a peanut butter and honey sandwich on whole wheat bread. It does work to energize me and the hunger is a whole lot less now.
Today I am starving again. It is because I am moving heavy boxes due to flood damage. Geez, I'm hungry. :(

I also wake in the middle of the night very hungry. I read somewhere that eating a hard boiled egg before bedtime would stave off the midnight munchies.
It does work. I am not too fond of plain boiled eggs, so I chop it up and add a 1/2 tablespoon of mayonnaise.

I track all my calories on LoseIt.com
It is a fun way to keep track of everything I eat. And I like the colorful charts.

Maybe what you could do at work is to bring a few celery sticks with peanut butter every day.
Or set a basket of celery sticks and baby carrots next to that basket of candy.

Best of luck to you!

JOGGING ADVICE FOR THE OVERWEIGHT:
START SLOW, THEN TAPER OFF!

It's hard, for sure. :(
Thank you!
Celery and peanut butter could work, I cannot eat carrots too often because they throw my blood sugar off SO bad.

I like making deviled eggs but I was told cooked eggs can't last more than two hours, safely, and I can't make them in the morning D:

Munchy
08-19-2011, 01:57 PM
I tend to chew gum when that candy basket feeling hits me. :)

April Snow
08-19-2011, 02:29 PM
You might want to look at the plan I'm doing, it seems fairly close to what you are eating.

The thing that you could add (whether you try Dukan or not) is oat bran - not oat meal. A small amount has some carbs but not that many and it's low in calories and high in fiber and REALLY fills you up, withouth the after-carb crash. I have 2 tbs each morning - you can either make a pancake out of it with an egg and some fat free yogurt, or you can make a porridge with hot water, sweetener and cinnamon or other spices. I have several people I know who aren't doing the Dukan Diet but who picked up eating these from me and are very happy about it.

JayEll
08-19-2011, 03:20 PM
You know, it strikes me as ironic. You are saying that you don't eat plain oatmeal because your blood sugar drops out the bottom (and I know this does happen to some people, even those without PCOS or insulin resistance, etc.). And you don't eat carrots often because they throw your blood sugar off.

So, what is it that eating candy bars does to you?

See what I mean? What would be worse, eating 15 baby carrots, or a couple of Kit-Kats? :eek: 15 baby carrots have 18 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fiber. A SINGLE 1.5-oz. Kit Kat bar has 28 grams of carbs and only 1 gram of fiber.

It seems to me that given a choice, the carrots would be the better way to go!

ETA: I see a lot of folks box themselves into a corner like this. So many reasons that they can't eat so many foods--and then they go off the rails because they can't hack it and eat even worse foods. Plans have to have flexibility if they are going to last long-term.

Jay

XLMuffnTop
08-19-2011, 03:42 PM
There has been a ton of good advice already but since you've mentioned PCOS and no insurance, you might check out the PCOS forums here on 3FCs. There's a lot of really good information there including info on vitamins and supplements that help some with symptoms and blood sugar issues.

My body functions a lot like Kaploids. I'm learning that I will always have to be careful and yes, if I eat some foods that are "bad" for my system, I crash and burn. In fact, I'm restarting after a very long, hard crash.

The important thing is you know it's a problem, you know some of the triggers and can get on the way to fixing or at least minimizing it.

Congrats and good luck on your continued success.

EagleRiverDee
08-19-2011, 04:54 PM
I used to get the sugar crash and shakes if I didn't eat at least every four hours. When I got diagnosed with Hashimotos, an autoimmune hypothyroid disease and started treatment, that went away. So I'm in full agreement that a hormone disorder such as PCOS, or in my case Hashi's, can cause that to happen.

Panacea86
08-19-2011, 05:24 PM
You might want to look at the plan I'm doing, it seems fairly close to what you are eating.

The thing that you could add (whether you try Dukan or not) is oat bran - not oat meal. A small amount has some carbs but not that many and it's low in calories and high in fiber and REALLY fills you up, withouth the after-carb crash. I have 2 tbs each morning - you can either make a pancake out of it with an egg and some fat free yogurt, or you can make a porridge with hot water, sweetener and cinnamon or other spices. I have several people I know who aren't doing the Dukan Diet but who picked up eating these from me and are very happy about it.

I will look it up, thank you!

Panacea86
08-19-2011, 05:33 PM
You know, it strikes me as ironic. You are saying that you don't eat plain oatmeal because your blood sugar drops out the bottom (and I know this does happen to some people, even those without PCOS or insulin resistance, etc.). And you don't eat carrots often because they throw your blood sugar off.

Right

So, what is it that eating candy bars does to you?

Truth? Keeps me full for about 3-4+ hours, surprisingly, with no crash. That's not why I have eaten them, but it's the reaction I have to them. Part of my addiction to cheeseburgers was self-medication for my insulin resistance. They were the only thing that kept me from cold sweats and dizziness. Probably a "hair of the dog" type cycle.

See what I mean? What would be worse, eating 15 baby carrots, or a couple of Kit-Kats? :eek: 15 baby carrots have 18 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fiber. A SINGLE 1.5-oz. Kit Kat bar has 28 grams of carbs and only 1 gram of fiber.

It seems to me that given a choice, the carrots would be the better way to go!

But I'm not looking for a "well it could be worse!" type food to snack on, I want to eat the best I can. I'm wasn't asking for an excuse to eat candy bars, just confessing I had and wanting to move on. Carrots make me feel like junk, so I will take the peanut butter and celery suggestion, yanno?

ETA: I see a lot of folks box themselves into a corner like this. So many reasons that they can't eat so many foods--and then they go off the rails because they can't hack it and eat even worse foods. Plans have to have flexibility if they are going to last long-term.

Jay

Eh, I don't feel I've boxed myself into a corner with my diet. I let my boredom and stress/depression take over and I made a very bad string of choices with things that were right in my line of vision. The problem was, I stopped thinking of consequences. I let go of control and took my eyes off my goal.

Panacea86
08-19-2011, 05:34 PM
There has been a ton of good advice already but since you've mentioned PCOS and no insurance, you might check out the PCOS forums here on 3FCs. There's a lot of really good information there including info on vitamins and supplements that help some with symptoms and blood sugar issues.

My body functions a lot like Kaploids. I'm learning that I will always have to be careful and yes, if I eat some foods that are "bad" for my system, I crash and burn. In fact, I'm restarting after a very long, hard crash.

The important thing is you know it's a problem, you know some of the triggers and can get on the way to fixing or at least minimizing it.

Congrats and good luck on your continued success.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Good luck to you as well :)

Panacea86
08-19-2011, 05:39 PM
I used to get the sugar crash and shakes if I didn't eat at least every four hours. When I got diagnosed with Hashimotos, an autoimmune hypothyroid disease and started treatment, that went away. So I'm in full agreement that a hormone disorder such as PCOS, or in my case Hashi's, can cause that to happen.

:( ugh, glad it's better
I noticed a lot of improvements in my blood sugar issues with the weight loss, I haven't had anywhere near the issues I used to have. It was horrible, I was just too big.

I was never hungry when I was pushing 300lbs, just always...sick. Low blood sugar, high. Now, I actually feel hunger.

I think I need to learn to respond to hunger, and not fear blood sugar issues because they aren't prevalent. Bringing more healthy food to work and keeping my eyes on my goal instead of emotionally eating is going to be my saving grace :p

Thanks for the help, everyone, I appreciate the support.

JayEll
08-19-2011, 05:47 PM
I think I need to learn to respond to hunger, and not fear blood sugar issues because they aren't prevalent. Bringing more healthy food to work and keeping my eyes on my goal instead of emotionally eating is going to be my saving grace

I think that's a great approach!

I was going to say, if the candy bar keeps you satisfied and doesn't throw your blood sugar off (in whatever way you have been judging that), then it might be more evidence that you're not eating enough complex carbs as part of your food plan. So, I encourage you to take the approach you stated above. :yes:

Jay

puneri
08-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Right side of my face trembles some time. I went to a chiropractor and it has increased. I had MRI and CTscan. There is no problem. Has anybody experience it any time? And do you know any cure?

wabrouq
08-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Maybe you should all (at the office) agree to choose a healthier snack/reward for the kids? I'm sure they don't need all that candy either. Stickers might be a better option?? Just a thought.

JOLINA
08-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Puneri...I drink whole milk for trembling. 3 cups every day. It works for me.

BY THE TIME I'M THIN... FAT WILL BE IN.

sontaikle
08-19-2011, 07:09 PM
I know the temptation, trust me. Except I'm not working right now (I'm a teacher) but I have it at home! Candy and snacks everywhere!

I do what some other posters have said and just drink water when I'm tempted, but that doesn't always get rid of the craving for some CHOCOLATE. This is why I love, love love Fiber One bars. They taste pretty awesome and they have nowhere near the calories of actual chocolate bars. I usually eat them if I have a long wait in between meals or something of that nature (as they're really awesome at filling me up) but sometimes I just get that chocolate craving.

kaplods
08-19-2011, 09:52 PM
:( ugh, glad it's better
I noticed a lot of improvements in my blood sugar issues with the weight loss, I haven't had anywhere near the issues I used to have. It was horrible, I was just too big.

I was never hungry when I was pushing 300lbs, just always...sick. Low blood sugar, high. Now, I actually feel hunger.

I think I need to learn to respond to hunger, and not fear blood sugar issues because they aren't prevalent. Bringing more healthy food to work and keeping my eyes on my goal instead of emotionally eating is going to be my saving grace :p

Thanks for the help, everyone, I appreciate the support.

Hunger and blood sugar issues aren't really two different issues, they're interconnected ones.

When you said that eating carrots make you "feel like junk" but also said that a candy bar keeps you "full for about 3-4+ hours, surprisingly, with no crash, " and also that you were self-medicating your IR with cheeseburgers and candybars, to keep away symptoms like cold sweats and dizziness, I recognized that cycle from my own past. You don't yet understand the best way to keep IR in check. You're following a cycle that seems to work, only because you haven't yet found what works better.

Carrots won't make you ill, if you're eating enough (or if you pair the carrots with some protein or fat). What's happening is that there's sugar in the carrots, but not enough sugar or calories to "fix" the low-blood sugar and ravenous hunger you're experiencing by the time you're eating them.

The candy bars have more calories, fat and sugar (and maybe even a little protein, if they include nuts or peanut butter) it's a "better" fix than just a few carrots, but there are way better fixes.

I used to do this all the time. My idea of clean eating was to starve myself, eating so few calories that my blood sugar would drop quickly. I'd experience all sorts of horrible symptoms - severe headaches, irritibility to the point of irrational anger, even rage, cold sweats, light headedness, severe blinding headaches, nauseau, dizziness, vertigo, even in a few cases actually fainting because of the low-blood sugar and hunger.

Eating sugar instantly made me feel better, but unless I also ate some fat or d protein, I would crash later. In your case, candy is preventing an obvious crash only because of the calories and fat that are coming with the sugar. If you chose a small piece of hard candy instead of chocolate, it's likely you'd feel better for a few minutes, but then would crash and feel even worse than after eating carrots.

You have to find ways to keep your energy and blood sugar up, so that you don't need to self-medicate to prevent or treat the low-blood sugar, extreme hunger from crash dieting.

By waiting too long to eat, you're needing to treat low-blood sugar when it occurs (and the candybar or cheeseburger feels like an instant cure), but you need to prevent the blood sugar drop so that you don't need to treat it.

I know you want to eat the best you can, but avoiding carrots to eat candy is like passing up a nightly glass or two of wine in favor of heroine.

Carrots aren't a better choice than candy IF you wait until you starving and your blood sugar has plummeted to the point that you're experiencing all the ugly symptoms. However, unless you have a carrot allergy, I would suspect that carrots will not make you feel ill if you're eating enough calories, carbs, fat, and protein to prevent the blood sugar crashes that you have been experiencing from carrots (probably because you're waiting too long to eat - waiting until you're weak and wobbly and feel like you "need" a huge carb/fat fix like chocolate or burgers).

It's very likely that you're not eating enough, and that the hunger and blood-sugar drops are making you so fiercely hunger that a little bit of sugar (and nothing else) from the carrots feels worse than candy - but if you react to hunger before it gets unmanageable, you won't find that to be true.

I know you don't have medical insurance, but you really need to see a doctor, and ideally a diabetes and insulin resistance diet educator or dietitian. I'd recommend that you contact your local health department, planned parenthood, charity clinic, walk-in clinics, department on aging and disability resources, WIC (even if you're not eligible for some of these services, the people who work at these places be aware of resources), local hospital social services, or start calling doctors to see if they will do payment plans or cash discounts (many will give a huge discount for paying in cash, so you could save for the appointment).

Metformin did wonders in stabilizing my blood sugar. My doctor said that it might help me lose weight, and it may have a little bit. The biggest difference was in preventing the blood sugar nose-dives that made me feel like I had to self-medicate with fatty, high-carb foods. You still have to be careful of food choices, but it helps prevent the drastic highs and lows.

It's a very cheap drug (it's on Sam's Club's, Walmart's, Target's and many other pharmacy's discount list - usually only $4 per month). If you live near a Sam's Club, you don't need to be a Sam's Club member to use the pharmacy. If you live near a Walmart, Target, K-Mart, Shopco... stop in and ask for a copy of their discount list (sometimes called the $4 list because most of the drugs on it are $4, even though there are also $6 and $9 drugs on the lists too). Take the discount list (or lists) in to your doctor appointment (consider a walk-in clinic if you have to).

Hang in there, the key with blood sugar issues is preventing them - and you prevent them by responding to your hunger with the best choices before it becomes rabid hunger (and best doesn't necessarily mean lowest in calories or carbs and it doesn't necessarily what makes you feel better quickest if you have waited to long and are experiencing rabid hunger). I find small, frequent micro-meals helpful (ideally with protein and a little fat with each). Some people find low-carb, high fat meals helpful. Other people find a Zone or South Beach style diet helpful.

Good luck. I know this may seem overwhelming at first, but take it one step at a time, and I really recommend looking for ways to get that doctor's appointment (and don't assume you can't before checking it out. There may be assistance programs in your area that you're not aware of. Sometimes they can be tricky to find, which is why I gave you several suggestions for finding them - because sometimes even the people who should know about the programs don't know about all of them, so finding them can be a matter of persistence).

Panacea86
08-22-2011, 11:51 AM
I think that's a great approach!

I was going to say, if the candy bar keeps you satisfied and doesn't throw your blood sugar off (in whatever way you have been judging that), then it might be more evidence that you're not eating enough complex carbs as part of your food plan. So, I encourage you to take the approach you stated above. :yes:

Jay

My blood sugar descriptions are highly unscientific. I don't have a physician and I don't know the state of my blood sugar at all. :\

All I know is that I've fainted twice, and when I was heavier I'd get clammy, sweaty, dizzy, and this sensation of "pop rocks" in my brain if I didn't eat enough or if I ate aspartame, fruit, carrots, etc...it made dieting hard at my highest weight, because I'd nearly collapse if I ate some raspberries alone. It took time to learn what I could eat with what and when.

Luckily those symptoms are 90% gone. Aspartame is still horrible for me and I avoid it at all costs.

I definitely don't make grains a priority. I eat tons of vegetables and protein but I haven't quite figured out how to get grains in aside from cereal and still lose weight.

Panacea86
08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Maybe you should all (at the office) agree to choose a healthier snack/reward for the kids? I'm sure they don't need all that candy either. Stickers might be a better option?? Just a thought.

It's not really my place to suggest, I work for the adult side of the program and I don't have much say regarding the juveniles. Ya, candy is a weird reward for teenagers.

Panacea86
08-22-2011, 11:55 AM
I know the temptation, trust me. Except I'm not working right now (I'm a teacher) but I have it at home! Candy and snacks everywhere!

I do what some other posters have said and just drink water when I'm tempted, but that doesn't always get rid of the craving for some CHOCOLATE. This is why I love, love love Fiber One bars. They taste pretty awesome and they have nowhere near the calories of actual chocolate bars. I usually eat them if I have a long wait in between meals or something of that nature (as they're really awesome at filling me up) but sometimes I just get that chocolate craving.

They're very good, I was eating them at the start of my diet but tapered off.

Panacea86
08-22-2011, 12:29 PM
You don't yet understand the best way to keep IR in check. You're following a cycle that seems to work, only because you haven't yet found what works better.

I do understand. Couldn't have lost the 93 lbs if I didn't, because when I didn't understand, I didn't lose weight.

Let me be clear: the candy bar thing was NOT self-medicating the blood sugar (I definitely used to!), it wasn't filling a craving for chocolate (I handle those much more intelligently than Kit Kats), it was boredom/stress eating compounded by not packing enough calories in my work lunch bag. I was only mildly hungry, not ravenous, and a cheese stick would have been enough, if I'd packed it. Now the problem was, I took my brain out of the game, so to speak, and had the audacity to think a candy bar was something I could eat. Really stupid thinking. I did it 3 times in a course of two weeks, and it was my first relapse to unhealthy food in 18 months. Haven't done it since I posted this thread, and I feel confident now I've given myself enough of reality check I won't be doing it again.

I struggle to find the right foods sometimes, mostly struggle to keep my menus practical, but that's just how it goes with a long term change in eating. I know a decent amount about foods and their impact on the body. The 18 months were spent pouring over information regarding diet/exercise, because I was and am dedicated to getting the monkey off my back. I wanted to know exactly what would make me feel better and lose weight, and what wouldn't. I have learned so much, I plan to continue my education to include a certificate in nutrition when I become a licensed counselor.

I eat 6-8 times per day. Protein out the wazoo, my hair grows ridiculously fast, though it falls out for reasons I cannot exactly pin down (could be PCOS, the pill, the weight loss, stress, something else). I eat 1500-1800 calories per day.

My problems are:
I eat more after work than during because I get overwhelmed packing what looks like a flatbed truck of food for work.
I eat too many calories some days. The 1800 is too much.
I don't exercise as regularly as I should.

Those are my downfalls, and I know them well and focus on them. Otherwise, I'm doing ok.

I know you don't have medical insurance, but you really need to see a doctor, and ideally a diabetes and insulin resistance diet educator or dietitian. I'd recommend that you contact your local health department, planned parenthood, charity clinic, walk-in clinics, department on aging and disability resources, WIC (even if you're not eligible for some of these services, the people who work at these places be aware of resources), local hospital social services, or start calling doctors to see if they will do payment plans or cash discounts (many will give a huge discount for paying in cash, so you could save for the appointment).

I receive pap tests from my health department and know of the options available. The problem with finding a doctor who lets me pay cash with no insurance is, I don't have cash to pay, or I'd buy insurance. Right now, I'm a grad student, and it is what it is. Not in a financial place to receive medical attention.

Metformin did wonders in stabilizing my blood sugar. My doctor said that it might help me lose weight, and it may have a little bit. The biggest difference was in preventing the blood sugar nose-dives that made me feel like I had to self-medicate with fatty, high-carb foods. You still have to be careful of food choices, but it helps prevent the drastic highs and lows.

Like I said, I don't have blood sugar issues nearly as bad as I did then, luckily. The symptoms are pretty much entirely gone. I must have really misrepresented myself in this thread :dizzy:

As long as I eat regularly, I'm fine. The weight loss saved my life, I swear. When I took Metformin, it really made my blood sugar low on a consistent basis. My doctor at the time admitted it wasn't her best decision to prescribe it to me, as high blood sugar wasn't my issue to begin with.

I appreciate the support and the time you took to lay that information out. I'm glad to have learned it already, and to be on the "other side" so to speak. I'm still learning, I'm still experimenting, I think blood work and profession intervention would really help me to formulate an even better diet, but until I land a good job that recognizes my need for medical help, it's out of the question.