Exercise! - Aerobic vs anaerobic exercising

View Full Version : Aerobic vs anaerobic exercising

GetFitFast
08-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Can someone please throw some light on aerobic vs anaerobic exercising. I bought myself a hrm recently and I've noticed that I've been exercising at 80 - 90% of my max heart rate which puts it into the anaerobic exercise category. Is this possibly the reason why I'm not shedding pounds the way that I would like to? Thanks!

SoDetermined
08-17-2011, 02:48 PM
From what I have read anaerobic exercising burns 100% fat and builds muscle ... muscle weighs more than fat so the scale may not move so quickly. For best results most studies show you should combine aerobic (more cardio) and anaerobic (more weightlifting) for best results. If you google aerobic vs. anaerobic exercising there are LOTS of articles you can read!! :)

mkroyer
08-17-2011, 04:23 PM
umm..

anaerobic levels a ctually burn mostly glycogen that is stored in your liver or muscles, because your body doesnt have time to oxidize fat (aerobics) YOu can pretty quickly deplette your glycogen stores, however.

ALso, regarding HR monitor...if you used the standard formula for Max HR, than you may not be working as high as you think you are.... that 220 minus age, or whatever.... it doesnt work like that.... its more like a starting point, like a BMR online calculator.
Also, if youre working anaerobic, than you are technically burning more TOTAL calories, and therefore, at the end of the day, end up burning more fat.

Just move ;)

twinmommaplusone
08-18-2011, 12:55 AM
slow it down and see if this works! Good Luck.

Anaerobic for running means you are using more glycogen in your muscle to fuel your runs, therefore recovery is harder because it works fast to restore that sugar. Best thing to do is slow your pace and tap into your fat burning that way! You'll have to go longer but it's supposed to be a better burn!

GetFitFast
08-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks all!

twinmommaplusone - Thanks! That's exactly what I did today. Much better!!

puneri
08-18-2011, 10:16 PM
what is the funda? if your heart rate is more than 85% of your hr then it is anerobic exercise?