Weight Loss Support - Denial? It is not just a river in Egypt, it's a freakin' ocean..

SLIMplicity
08-17-2011, 08:25 AM
..how do you keep from drowning in it??

..what do y'all do to get yourselves back on track and seeing the light??
Any advice appreciated..
-
-
-

Lovely
08-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Track. Weigh. Measure. Pictures.

Staying away from that wide mouthed river of Denial requires constant and continuous honesty.

Honesty means firm and definite increments of measurement. I cannot stay in denial if I am honest about the food that I ate by writing it down. I cannot say "Oh that piece of cake wasn't that big..." if I weigh it/measure it and then find the Points for it and it's 40 points. That piece of cake WAS that big. No denying!

ItsMyTurn
08-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Take a picture of yourself... full body picture. Hang it where you will see it often. Something else I have done is I hung a pair of "goal" pants (a mini goal from where I am) on the wall, and then put a pair of my "starter" ones next to them. Visual reminders are hard to impossible to ignore unless you lose your sight ;) These are things that help me, but everyone is different. I am all about the visual and seeing myself as I am, and as I was at the start, not a pretty picture to me and NOT where I want to be. I want to sway, I see that picture on the refrigerator... amazing motivation. I also found a picture on this site of "fat" and what it looks like (a prop they took a picture of) and copied that... it's also hung up. I have 3 kids and a husband, so there are "temptations" around the house everywhere... I had to find something to keep me from following through on weak moments. Hope that helps :)

PreciousMissy
08-17-2011, 05:12 PM
I keep a list of what I've eaten/plan to eat that day visible at all times, it's never ever tucked away. If it's not on the list, I add it before it goes into my mouth. That way I can't deny that I have to stick to my plan.

You can't deny something if you have a visual reminder staring you in the face.

KatieC87
08-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Oh. My. GAWD! I LOVE Grey's Anatomy! (Where the title of your thread came from.) I read it and thought, "Okay, I've heard that somewhere, where was it, where was it... Meredith Grey!" ;)

When I've gone off track, I force myself to step on the scale anyway. I know some people take a break because they "know it's water weight," but seeing that increase motivates me to get back on track.