Living Maintenance - Maintainers weekly chat August 15 - 21

BillBlueEyes
08-15-2011, 06:32 AM
The saga with colors continues. The young guy on the painting crew was told to put up the first coat in the bedroom. The painting chart specified 'Sweet Salmon.' He picked up the can of 'Sweet Caroline' and painted his heart out - having failed to read the second word in the name. Ouch! Sweet Salmon is beige-ish; Sweet Caroline is green-ish. Poor kid. Luckily, the first coat was a primer and recovery was cheap.

Mudpie
08-15-2011, 06:48 AM
I'm back on the wagon :o after my week dog sitting. I'm again over my red line due to some snacking at night. DH has a lot more damage to undo than I do. Funny how we both go into "vacation" mode whenever we are not living together and how we tend to still regard food and booze as "rewards". :devil:

2 pieces of belgian chocolate from the specialty shop are a reward. A big handful of chocolate chips is not. :dizzy:

Fall (one of my faviourite seasons) :badbat: is in the air these mornings. It is still dark when I open the door for the cats and the air is much cooler. And the clouds and moon look different somehow. Time to get it into gear :cb: so I will fit into all those "skinny" jeans in my closet.

Anyone in the NYC area going to get "beaten up" by the new Jillian Michaels workout?

Good Monday all!

Dagmar :spid:

paperclippy
08-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Bill - :rofl: about the colors.

Dagmar, glad you had a good time at Cirque! Fall is in the air in the mornings here too. I'm a little sad actually because I feel like I didn't get to fully enjoy summer yet.

Not sure if the steroids are working or not here. I thought maybe they were, but I took Carter for a walk to test it out and my feet started hurting after 1/4 mile again. Sigh. I was hoping I would get some kind of dramatic improvement before my vacation next week so I could enjoy vacation more (going around and doing active stuff). Meanwhile the drug cocktail (I took 10 pills this morning and have 6 to go today!) is causing some major backup in my system, which is causing some significant weight gain. I added back a fiber drink so hopefully that will help clear some of it out. Plus some weight is from sodium due to having a stir fry for dinner last night.

DH and I sort of witnessed another major car accident this weekend (following on the one I witnessed last week). We had parked and were walking down the street when we heard squealing tires and a big crash behind us, and turned around to see a smashed up car drifting to a stop. Of course DH starts making jokes about Final Destination and now I'm afraid that I will have some kind of car accident! Hopefully nothing will happen on our drive up to Wisconsin.

Carter nearly caught a bunny in our backyard last night. He loves to chase them but hasn't caught any yet and I'm hoping he never does. Since his surgery he's been much slower at chasing them, but this idiot bunny ran straight into the fence. Not through the fence, but into one of the posts (we heard an audible "thunk"). Luckily it made it through the fence just before Carter got there, although he nearly ran into the fence himself.

In other news, I tried canning for the first time every yesterday with some of our extra tomatoes. I made three pint jars. How can I tell if I did it right? The seals went down but I don't know how to tell beyond that. I'm afraid of poisoning us. I did a hot pack and added 1 Tbsp lemon juice to each jar.

saef
08-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Greetings from the land of the perpetual rain. It rained all day yesterday and I went to sleep to the sound of rain drumming on my window air conditioner in the bedroom. I dreamed that I was back living at home with my parents (yes, my father was still alive) and our home was flooded out by a sudden rush of water that hit us more like a tsunami than a slowly rising flood. In the aftermath, a salvage crew was bringing me objects and parts of things that had survived the flood. I was anxiously watching for the appearance of some favorite things. They found my purse. The objects inside -- paper currency, credit cards, checkbook -- had somehow stayed dry. I was relieved because now I'd be able to buy food and pay to stay at a nearby hotel full of other flood refugees.

Today the office population has been decimated by vacation. But I have a presentation to participate in & plenty of writing to do. I'm heading Upstate this coming Friday but in my experience, my life revs up to an insane pace before I can achieve escape velocity from it.

Shannon in ATL
08-15-2011, 11:46 AM
I just caught up on last week's discussion -
Bargoo - I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I know how hard the decision was, and today will be harder still. I'm thinking about you and Sparky. Hugs to you.

Shannon in ATL
08-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Bill - something similar happened when our house was painted, only it was red put in the wrong place. Much harder to correct.

Dagmar - I'm glad that you enjoyed the Cirque! Yay! :)

Jessica - I had hoped that the steroids would do the trick. Maybe it just needs a little more time? And those meds always back me up as well. Ick. Hope that clears before vacay as well.

Saef - funny the things we dream about, and how much those dreams are influenced by things around us. Makes sense I guess. I hope this week doesn't get too crazy for you before your time out next week.

I'm covering our catering department this week for a staff vacation. Having a hard time typing with the big bandage on my left hand, and haven't exercised since Friday for the same reason. We bought a new tv Friday and picked it up Saturday, so I did move some boxes and and hang some blinds over the weekend, so not totally sedentary. Oh, and did some yoga on Saturday which was mostly comfortable. Still feeling pretty stupid - who cuts their hand on a fan that is turned off during a workout? If it had been on I could have at least accepted that more. :dizzy: Want to either run or lift today - I feel this compulsion to lift, so I can do what I was planned for yesterday. Then I could overload my schedule this week and do M-W-F-Su and be back on track for the end of the week. Might not be the smartest idea to go so hard - still thinking about that.

Good day everyone!

Mudpie
08-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Shannon Who cuts their hand . . . well I think I trump that by hitting myself in the face (with bruising and a possible hairline fracture) not one, not two, but three times with my new vehicle's taller doors. DUH!!! (Hope your hand is better soon and take it easy 'til it is).

What make of TV did you get? (if you don't mind my nosiness as DH and I will have to break down soon and replace our 3-ft. long Zenith with a big screen).

Allison How is the trip going?

Jessica One dumb bunny yes?

saef Amazing what triggers vivid dreams. And the pre-vacation acceleration is a common phenomenon (I think). Is it because we are anticipating getting away from work so much that all of our perceptions are heightened?

I won one today and lost one. My clients gave me a bonus for all the TLC I showed their old sweetie lab during the dog sit. And I got myself a $40 parking tag - for parking for a couple of minutes on a really quiet little sidestreet 'cause contractors had blocked my client's driveway. I hope the parking guy was entertained by Happi's howling as he wrote the ticket. That's what I heard as I was crating the puppy but alas, too late to stop him writing the tag.

Oh well. I took a chance and I lost. Tomorrow I will go and give the contractors heck (or set Hap up to guard ourside the vehicle) if I can't park on the driveway.

Good evening all!

Dagmar :yay:

traveling michele
08-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Hey everyone.

I'm back at school as of today. Today was registration and I'm brain dead. Plus I didn't get to the gym. Tomorrow will be tricky too (working both jobs) but I'm hoping I can still make the gym.

I'm afraid I don't have anything meaningful to add or comment on. Take care everyone!!

Mudpie
08-17-2011, 06:55 AM
. . . on trying to get DH to do anything. Sorry but I have to whine somewhere as all this is making me :crazy:. I don't nag him - I just offer reminders, eat healthy (mostly) and try to get him out and moving.

He won't update his resume, just keeps complaining :blah: about his current 2-days-a-week I should be so lucky job.

He was supposed to start a diet and fitness regimen at the beginning of July - I'm still waiting (he :sumo: ate a dozen large peanut butter cookies and drank beeer last night - stuff all over our living room shows me that this morning).

So excuse me for blowing off steam here. :mad: I do understand that he's stressed etc. I'm just tired (5 years and counting) of waiting for the :idea:
to sink in that he has to finally become an adult.

I will limit my whining :cry: here to 2 times per week.

Thanks and have a great hump day!

Dagmar :tired:

saef
08-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Bill's feeling slightly high from the perpetual smell of fresh paint, Michele's downright wrung-out from her job, Dagmar's tired of being a motivated woman married to an unmotivated man, Shannon's recuperating from slicing her hand like a butcher mishandling a stick of bologna, and Jessica's feeling slightly spooked on the roads these days as she seems to leave crashed cars in her wake.

Yes, it's one fine hump day.

As for me, I can't see beyond two big urgent writing projects. Why did Google have to go & buy Motorola's mobile unit just days before my late-summer vacation is supposed to commence?

I'm calling this the Summer of Initiatives, since, at work, I'm involved in or close to several new projects (they like to call them "initiatives" at my workplace) and each of them is spoiling my or some coworker's idea of a slightly relaxed, downshifted summer. There is no downtime any more.

And as usual, I have too many fresh fruits & vegetables in the fridge for someone who's leaving town for a couple days. I have to eat them up, cook them up, take them with me or trash them. And I hate throwing out perfectly good produce.

paperclippy
08-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Saef, the freezer is your friend! Most veggies you can just chop up and throw in a freezer bag.

bargoo
08-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Dagmar, it is time to let go, he is a grown man, he will make his own decisions, right or wrong. I know it is difficult to stand back and watch what he is doing, but obviously your well meaning suggestions don't work and only cause frustration for you.

traveling michele
08-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Saef-- are you doing something fun for your getaway? I never would have thought of freezing fruits and veggies-- what a smart idea. They were talking about google/motorola on the news this morning. They were wondering if mid west Motorola folks would make it here in the land of Google?

Staff retreat for me today. I hate these things-- you get broken into teams for games/challenges/etc. I know it is my old fat insecurities but I always feel uncomfortable in these situations. I feel like I'm not athletic even though I'm in much better shape than I ever was (still can't catch or throw a ball but I can run!). I also don't always feel like I "fit in" because I'm not a teacher and they tend to stick with their grade level friends. All I know is they were looking for bocce ball and croquet sets.... oy vey...

My dd started filling out college apps last night. She is so darn independent that she submitted one last night! She didn't even let us see her essay or anything. Hope it was good! She's applying to 6 schools at this point. I've got a couple of favorites (I think) but I'm not sure they are her top choices. Should be an interesting year! And expensive!! I had to pay $150 for her to go to grad night, and another $200 plus for yearbook and senior stuff.

In other doggie news, Dewey is having his "procedure" (If you know what I mean) tomorrow. Poor little guy.

Shannon in ATL
08-17-2011, 12:50 PM
If I can get past today then this week is almost over and I'm almost out of catering until the manager's next vacation. Hump day feels almost insurmountable this morning.

Dagmar - vent all you need to honey, but don't let him make you crazy. Bargoo is right - you can't change him, and you can't drive yourself insane trying to do that. Take care of you.

Saef - I hate big projects right before vacay. Hope you make it.

Michele - hope the first day goes well! I hate those retreats, too. And in my job I have to plan a lot of them. :)

Oh yeah, Dagmar - we got an LG 60PV450 (http://www.amazon.com/LG-60PV450-60-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B004LWT6Q2/ref=lh_ni_t). We had a Mitsubishi DLP tv, so the plasma was an upgrade. We didn't fully account for heightened glare, so spent Sunday hanging blackout shades behind the blinds and putting in undercabinet lighting in the kitchen to soften the impact of the overhead light.

I think I need to accept the fact that I'm choosing to overeat & give up on figuring our the whys. I then need to just stop. I feel terrible today, and it is because of all the sugar. I do really well all day and then I tank it late and eat something like ice cream. I'm eight weeks away from a beach vacation, I need to get my fanny back into gear.

I also need my hand to heal and life to settle down enough for me to get some exercise. Growl.

Mudpie
08-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Shannon Wow - that's BIG! I don't think a 60" (that's almost my height!) would fit in any of our rooms!

Michele Dewey won't feel a thing during and after should be minimally painful (I know you guys are shaking your heads in horror :eek:). The procedure has changed quite dramatically from when we had our (former) boy cat done.

saef Think of yourself running free in the forest, with gentle, diffuse sunlight pouring down through the canopy. You will be there soon. :yoga:

Jessica Brilliant! I never know what to do with all the veggies I greedily :drool: buy on Saturdays and then fail to use up during the week. In cold weather I make veggie "stew" - not so good in summer.

And I know DH will only change when he's ready (if ever). I still get frustrated watching him hit his head against the same wall and I need to vent somewhere. Thanks for your patience everyone.

I am combining all sorts of little odds and ends in salads tonite. 2 kinds of lettuce, orange pepper, cuke, baby toms, goat cheese, basil, and almonds. The "science experiment" salad! Chipotle devilled eggs and ciabatta buns on the side.

And it's never a good idea to read cupcake reviews before dinner. :p

Good evening all!

Dagmar :beach:

Shannon in ATL
08-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Dagmar - it is huge. Dh & I are total tv gluttons. Really, it is me more than him lately - we stepped up slowly from my old 37" to a 60" a couple of years ago and I've decided I like the look and don't want to go back down. We have a big open living room, so it fits. :)

Shannon in ATL
08-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Just got this pic from another friend who found it on Pinterest...

http://d30opm7hsgivgh.cloudfront.net/upload/120256475_Hvl29y7d_c.jpg

Love it.

Mudpie
08-18-2011, 06:47 AM
Just got this pic from another friend who found it on Pinterest...

http://d30opm7hsgivgh.cloudfront.net/upload/120256475_Hvl29y7d_c.jpg

Love it.

PERFECT! I have been dong that recently (though it's more of a sulking thing rather than reward). I can't put it up on the fridge (DH gets mightily offended if my "affirmations" go on there) but I will make one up for myself and put it on the table in the evenings when I sit in the living room.

Dagmar :ink:

traveling michele
08-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Just dropped Dewey off at the vet.
Hopefully after today we can't call him Humpty and the cat Dumpty (use your imagination-- Dewey has been very amorous lately)!

I've had interesting comments from co-workers the past few days as they haven't seen me in a few months. I always find comments interesting and maybe I put too much stock into them but I think that people comment based on their own securities or insecurities. If that makes sense.... Quite a few nice comments about my hair-- shorter and highlighted-- so that is nice.

But also many, many comments about my weight. They have been so varied. From, "Oh My! You've lost more weight!", to "You look perfect! Toned! Guns a blazing! Wow!", to "You're too thin-- don't lose more weight!". Most have been positive but a few have been cheeky or negative. I *might* be a couple of pounds lighter than when we went on break, but if anything, just a couple so there shouldn't be a big difference. More toned maybe? I've been working out almost every day but I was doing that before. I just find it interesting....

Megan1982
08-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Hi all,

I've been saying for a while how I've been stressed, haven't been dealing well with stress and wanted to try some yoga. My co-worker heard about a class "for donations" at the community center last night and asked if I'd go with her. Sometimes, someone is just trying to give you a push! It was really enjoyable, relaxing, and I definitely stretched out and just breathed deeply for a while. I hope to do it again! We've also been having slightly cooler weather the last few days. It probably won't last but is very nice while it's here.

Aww, Michele, Dewey will be just fine! 3 years of maintenance at close to the same weight seems an oddly long time to be getting these comments now. Have you been wearing more short-sleeved or sleeveless shirts lately that would allow you coworkers to see more of your toned arms, etc? Typically summer clothes do show a little more skin. Maybe you are just more toned. Your arms looked great in that picture you posted a few weeks ago!

Saef, I'm laughing at your Wednesday summation of the State of the Maintainers. I know what you feel like about no down time anymore! Do you have a neighbor who might appreciate a produce donation before you leave? I hate to waste any food, too!

Jessica, all those accidents are scary, but I'm sure you and DH are safe drivers! If you are safe, keep your car in good repair so that its safety features are working, and practice defensive driving practices, it's really not worth the time to stress about the things you can't control. I know it's easier said that done. Hopefully once you put some time between you & these accidents they will fade in your mind.

Shannon, I might print that out and put it on the fridge! Or the pantry might be better... I hope your finger has a speedy recovery.

I hope to do some legs at the gym and take Emma for a walk on the beach tonight. School must be back in session, the beach is all the sudden fairly tourist-free in the evenings. Have a good Thursday all.

Shannon in ATL
08-18-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm glad that you enjoyed the yoga, Megan! I need to get back to mine.

So I replied to the "Are you in GA..." request at the top of this page and the producer wants to film a segment with me for their weight loss show. I'm freaked out.

traveling michele
08-18-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm glad that you enjoyed the yoga, Megan! I need to get back to mine.

So I replied to the "Are you in GA..." request at the top of this page and the producer wants to film a segment with me for their weight loss show. I'm freaked out.

How cool! Maybe you need some of Megan's yoga to calm you down.:carrot:

BillBlueEyes
08-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Congrats, Shannon, from weight loss to movie star. Can't wait to hear how it works out.

saef
08-18-2011, 10:26 PM

Yeah, I would be, too. But think of it this way. It's going to be sort of like being on 3FC. You're doing it to help some woman out there (or man, but it's probably a woman) who knows she's got to lose weight or die early, and she's wavering, not quite fully committed yet. She thinks only people on TV series with famous personal trainers yelling at them can do it. And then she sees you, a person who also lives in Georgia, a person whom she can relate to. You've done what she wants to do but thinks she can't do. Please think of her, and how what you're doing could help her. That will make it less about you -- which is what makes most people nervous, thinking they've got to be perfect on camera -- and more about someone else. You are doing this to help that woman & others like her. Just like coming on this board, seeking help & giving it.

neurodoc
08-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Just read this article from last Sunday's NYTimes, and found it fascinating:
Do You Suffer From Decision Fatigue? By JOHN TIERNEY
Among other things, the article talks about the role of glucose in helping the brain to refuel after the mental work of resisting temptations:
"The discoveries about glucose help explain why dieting is a uniquely difficult test of self-control — and why even people with phenomenally strong willpower in the rest of their lives can have such a hard time losing weight. They start out the day with virtuous intentions, resisting croissants at breakfast and dessert at lunch, but each act of resistance further lowers their willpower. As their willpower weakens late in the day, they need to replenish it. But to resupply that energy, they need to give the body glucose. They’re trapped in a nutritional catch-22: 1. In order not to eat, a dieter needs willpower. 2. In order to have willpower, a dieter needs to eat."

The take-home point from that particular section of the article is something that successful maintainers already know well- you cannot allow yourself to make decisions about what you are going to eat for dinner when you're tired and hungry at the end of a long and stressful day. You should plan your meals and eat your plan, no straying from decisions made during a more lucid and coherent part of the day when your resolve was firmer. The other take-home point was actually made in the article itself- even though glucose is the brain's preferred fuel, and a glucose fix will provide a quick way to boost decision-making and will-power, eating a diet that is high in protein and more complex, nutritious foods will provide a steadier supply of glucose through the day with fewer "crashes."

Well worth a read.

Mudpie
08-19-2011, 06:47 AM
Andrea Could you please post a link to the article?

Interesting. I use caffeine :coffee: throughout the day to provide the energy :hyper: I'm not getting from food and it definitely influences how I behave in the evening. Less diet pop/tea = more willpower to resist carbs (again looking for an energy "fix") in the evening.

Now if only I could have a 6-8 week sabbatical :p from work where I could get off the caffeine and not have to worry about falling down (literally) on the job.

Dagmar :beach:

Charin
08-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Hi all! Can I play? :) as of this morning I have officially lost 60 pounds and am wearing size 8 jeans down from 201.6 and size 16 in February. I still would like to lose about 7 more (which puts me in the higher end of healthy bmi and my lowest ever weight as an adult 14 years ago) but regardless will defend this 60 pound loss with tooth and nail therefore I am officially calling myself a maintainer. Maintaining has been my downfall in the past as I have lost weight in the past and regained. But this time around I truly made a lifestyle / mind change as opposed to quick fixes, crash diets or dieting down for a particular event type of efforts so I am confident I will keep it off. I have lurked for a long while and each of your posts have been instrumental in a way to keep me going. I may continue to lurk more than I post but I wanted to say hi and thank you!

Shannon in ATL
08-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Saef - thanks, that does help to look at it that way. It is just an in person version of things I already do.

Andrea - I'm definitely going to look for that article. It seems to make sense from the bit that you quoted - I always make much worse choices when I'm already hungry, and tend to go for fast.

Dagmar - I drink a lot of coffee, but haven't noticed that it makes me more carb crazy. Interesting that the diet soda lessens your willpower - could some of that be the artificial sweetener? It kills me.

Charin - hey there! :wave: You are absolutely a maintainer, congrats on your success! Pop in whenever you want! :)

I made it to the park for a run last night - it needed to happen. It meant that DH and I ate dinner solo which I try not to do, but I needed the run. We had our neighbors over to listen to music last night, so I got home just before they arrived and ate while we got set up. It worked. Now on to my last day working catering. Woo hoo.

alinnell
08-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Checking in from Montana. Gee, it's Friday! We're having a great time here but I'm afraid to see what my weight will be once we get home. I did fine with snacking on the way up, but totally blew it last night when someone set out cheese and crackers and three bags of chips.

We went golfing and we've been walking the dog a lot, but I feel like I've gained. Not too happy about that since I wanted to lose for Costa Rica.

Anyway, just wanted to check in--too much going on to comment on everything.

Take care and have a great weekend!

traveling michele
08-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Hi and welcome Charin!
Congrats on your loss. I truly believe hanging around 3FC (and working for WW) have been instrumental in me not regaining my weight.

Poor Dewey is doing fine. We are calling him "Uniball" as he is quite swollen down there. He moaned and groaned all night. This morning he was still swollen and uncomfortable but hungry and wanting to play. I'm hoping he'll sleep while I'm at work and recover more.

Mudpie
08-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Charin :welcome2:

Michele "uniball" - :lol3: oh you are such a mean, mean owner! Poor Dewey will be traumatized for life :p and will have to be placed in a more caring loving home :p.

But seriously he'll forget all about this in another couple of days and be bouncing around.

Shannon :woohoo: on the run! Sometimes you just gotta move!

Allison Cheese, crackers, and chips? Three of my favourite food groups! All that's missing is the beer :hat:

I had a fine Friday and am now looking forward to using my new mini-vacuum on Laffie and then outfitting him with his new seat covers!

I sound about 1 million years old to be doing that on a Friday night but DH and I are going kayaking at the crack of dawn tomorrow and I want to get the car done!

Good evening all and TGIF :yay:

Dagmar :cool:

Mudpie
08-20-2011, 07:28 AM
So DH helped me install Laffie's seat covers last night. I couldn't have done it alone. They didn't fit so well :shrug: and the installation was tricky and needed two people. But we got it done. It's the first time in a long time we have done a project together without a big argument. :D

The covers themselves are of a good quality material :D and have a foam backing. They will offer good protection from all the day-to-day dog wear and tear.

I like them. I hope the "dog" towels will "stick" to them better than to Laffie's existing slippery upholstery.

My package from Banana Republic also arrived last night (fall wardrobe). The dress I bought is gorgeous! And the quality is really, really good, both in terms of material and sewing.

I have been sulking and eating and thought the size 8 would be a tight squeeze. It's too BIG! I went back online and all the size 6's are sold out. I will take a look in the local stores to see if I can find one. If not I can have the size 8 altered.

This gave me a real boost :cb: to eat clean again and cut out the beer and chips. I can look gorgeous in this dress but I have to do it justice by feeling self-confident and pretty while wearing it.

That comes from eating clean, working out, and staying away from the caffeine and diet pop.

Time to get ready for paddling.

Good Saturday all!

Dagmar :D

saef
08-20-2011, 08:14 AM
So I'm here Upstate, having listened to four consecutive CDs of Tom Venuto's "The Bodyfat Solution" while driving up here. He's unemotional and logical about weight loss as Spock, so for me a lot of the time it's like listening to an alien life form talk about weight loss.

After dinner, when I sprawled on the love seat and kicked off my Dansko clogs, my mother's cat investigated them -- the clogs, I mean -- and began practically making love to them. Why? Probably they smell like sweaty feet. He really was all over them. I had to call my mother over to see. I knew dogs liked things that stink but had no idea cats felt the same.

Anyway the cat climbed all over me and rubbed me all last night. He even stood on my pillow and licked and "groomed" my hair, which must taste like chemical gel, poor creature. It feels good to be loved up by an animal & I totally get why so many of you have dogs. I'm going through the "Maybe I should get a cat" thing again, even though I know I settled this in the negative many months ago as I reviewed my schedule and saw how lonely it would be.

Megan1982
08-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Hi all,

I made my second trip to the Honda dealership in the city today to get my passenger seat belt replaced. It was a long drive, but the replacement was free because Honda warranties their seatbelts for the life of the car - nice! (Sorry Dagmar, only for normal wear and tear, this doesn't apply if dogs chew through them.) I stopped for a few errands, but was eager to get home and do a little bit of weekend relaxing. My cable was cut off 2 weeks ago and I haven't replaced it yet, but I haven't minded at all. I spend my evenings walking on the beach with Emma and reading some good books.

Saef, Emma loves it when I come home sweaty, sandy, covered in sunblock from work. It's all 3 things she loves to lick off humans at once! (Disclaimer: I do try to keep her away from my newly lotioned or sunblocked, etc. skin. I'm sure the chemicals aren't good for her.) Animals are weird like that.. :D

Dagmar, hope you had fun kayaking. Can you post a picture or a link to your new dress?

Oh Michele, uniball. :lol:

Hi Charin, welcome!

Emma has informed me that it's her dinner time. Must dash. Heaven forbid we should wait 5 minutes. :dizzy:

Mudpie
08-20-2011, 08:23 PM
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=69572&vid=1&pid=858864

I think this will work. The dress looks much better on me (!) than the model (I think) and the colour is a lot less dried-blood :p like. The material is a real taffeta with a gorgeous hand and the dress actually has a "crinoline" layer.

Dagmar :cool:

bargoo
08-20-2011, 09:01 PM
I like the dress but I wouldn't have expected it to be taffeta by the description.
When I was young ( and I was , once ) even though we were not wealthy my mother always made sure I had an Easter dress and a Christmas dress. I seem to remember a lot of taffeta.

saef
08-20-2011, 09:57 PM
This is a truly gorgeous dress, Dagmar. I don't think I've ever owned anything in taffeta, but was just admiring some at the antique show: a light blue with purplish lights, and a deep blue with peacock green lights. Iridescence is so beguiling in anything, from inside a mussel shell to a length of fabric, even to a Japanese beetle's back. I didn't know there was a Mad Men collection of clothing, but there were often outfits on the show that I thought were simply ravishing. Betty and Joan got most of the best ones, but Roger's young wife had some nice stuff, as did Pete's wife. (I missed this past season -- I'm one season behind.)

Mudpie
08-21-2011, 07:35 AM
saef The silly thing is that I don't watch "Mad Men". I tried to once or twice but DH heckled so badly that I gave up. Love the clothes though - seem to be made for curvy types like me.

This is probably TMI but I think your mom's cat might be doing a little bit of territorial behaviour with you. If his mouth was open and he looked quite demented while smelling your clogs that's called the "flehmen". Cats do that when they are sizing up a rival or a mate :p. The subsequent rubbing would be territorial marking and the licking would be acceptance and hence grooming of you. Now he's probably cuddling with you and enjoying every minute of it.

I get this from my guys whenever I come back from vacation. I'm away for 10 days and they have to re-establish their relationship with me (they are not the brightest cats in the world).

At least they don't pee on me or my suitcase. I have two clients' cats to thank for all my new luggage over the years.

Enjoy your vacation!

Dagmar :dizzy:

Shannon in ATL
08-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Dagmar - I love the dress!

Saef - my cat does that to me sometimes, too. Funny to read Dagmar's description of possible cause...

Megan - glad you got your seatbelt fixed - no compromise for safety. :)

My MIL lost her job on Thursday so we've been at her house all afternoon looking at her financial situation. She is much better off than a lot of people in her situation. It makes me look down the road to retirement and scares me a little at how unprepared I am.

JayEll
08-21-2011, 05:44 PM
For all you younger folks who aren't thinking about retirement. I used to say, oh, I'll just work forever and not retire. But then one day I realized that the time would come when I did not want to work anymore, or even when I could not work anymore.

And now that I'm within a few years of "retirement age," I'm sorry that I didn't get serious about retirement savings sooner. Even ten years sooner would have made a big difference. No big inheritance windfall coming from my parents, either.

So Shannon, and anyone who feels the same: There is no time like the present. Don't wait until time is running out.

Jay

Mudpie
08-21-2011, 06:34 PM
I just "dodged a major bullet" :stress: in the words of one of my dad's neighbours.

We had a huge violent thunderstorm about 2 hours ago, complete with waves of rain whipping around, huge cracks of thunder, and torrential downpour.

I was at my dad's house doing a little yard maintenance. I ran into the house as the huge storm started and stayed there for it. I went out briefly on the front porch but the water was whipping around and got me wet. I was on the phone with DH for the last of it, and commenting how the power had gone out and my dad had no candles, flashlight, etc.

I walked out and almost hurled :yikes: when I looked at Laffie parked on the street. Huge tree limb on the road - on top of his rear? I called DH back and he advised me to go and look for damage and then call him. He would hurry over with the camera and the life insurance contact #'s if there was.

The limb had literally missed Laffie by the proverbial whisker. There were little twig branches pushed up against his hatch but no :cp: damage. The tree limb spanned the entire roadway.

It took 3 of my neighbours (all fairly strong big guys) to lift the branch off the road. Being the girlfriend of a contractor I was able to provide two handsaws to cut it into more manageable pieces. I was also able to measure the diameter of the limb (having a tape measure in my car at all times) at it's largest point and it was 10". Monstrous!

OMG. I wanted to :dance: and :hug: everyone there. Instead I helped pick up all the smaller branches littering the road and got into Laffie and drove him home. Hands slightly shaking all the while.

I did manage to avoid going to the nearest grocery store and buying cookies and ice cream to celebrate Laffie's near miss. That made me a little sad - that I still would have that reaction to extremes of emotion - but I did not sucuumb.

Nor will I tonite. I will put on my "party" undies, my "Betty" dress, and my heels and go downstairs and take a long look in the mirror and be happy!

Dagmar :yay: :dance: :flow2:

Megan1982
08-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Whew! Close on Dagmar. Glad Laffie, and you and dad's house, are all ok. The BR link is telling me "sorry, this item is out of stock" and I can't see your dress, so I will just use my imagination. You will have to post a photo of you in it so I can see it!

There's actually been a hint of cool in the air for the past few days, which is quite unusual for August in Florida. Ok, "cool" is probably like 90 degrees instead of 95, 70% humidity instead of 89%, but my standards are quite different in the summertime! It's actually been pleasant to be outside and Emma has been spoiled by extra long walks this weekend. She's sleeping on my feet right now. :D I actually worked today so I have Monday off. I will try to be somewhat productive and clean my carpets.

Good evening all!