Old 08-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 294.6/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Have you become a social outcast?

At work, my department always goes out for lunch on fridays and on everyone's bday. So now, people seem to think that I'm being very anti-social that i don't want to go with them.

1. I haven't told the diet i'm doing as i don't want to hear their opinion on it and
2. even if i could switch lunch/dinner, i really can't afford doing IP and spending $25 on lunch every week.

So how can I say no without offending...

Last edited by Busymomx4; 08-12-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Busymomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217.5/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Can you just make it about budget and not diet? Times are tough for a lot of folks now, so it's not out of the question that folks are cutting certain things out -- like meals out.
rainbowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #3  

The only thing I've avoided the past 7 weeks is the movie theater. There really isn't anything I want to see right now anyway and we don't do movies often so it's no biggie. I've only been out to eat a few times because I would rather make my meals because it's cheaper. I would just tell them you would rather save the money. Or, "it was just getting to be too much." They will soon see why you aren't doing it. Or could you eat before and go have a glass of water and just visit? I haven't stayed away from anything as far as weddings, concerts, fairs, family dinners, bbqs with friends, or anything in that manner because it has to be a lifestyle thing and I can't stay in my house while others are out having fun forever. Good luck!
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/256/120

Height: 5'2"

I am slowely coming out of the social outcast phase. If you want to go, suggest they go somewhere you know there will be food you can have and just switch your dinner protein and lunch around. I agree tho if you don't feel comfortable just tell them you are trying to budget better. Most ppl would understand in these times. I am going out for lunch with my family and inlaws in a few minutes and I just ate my salad with veggies at work and will order 2 grilled chicken breasts and bring my own Franks wing sauce. Very small town "local bar and grill" so I'm sure I will get some strange looks. But...I am doing this to make myself healthier so they can think whatever I guess
nikkib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #5  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Could you not go and just order a simple salad with a chicken breast without it being $25? or even just a simple salad. I agree with Itsabouttime, could you not go just to visit? I went see my best friend the other day, its been about a month or so since I've seen her and she knows I am on a diet. She sat right in front of me and at Popeye's Fried Chicken, being from the south this is one of my favorite foods. She is steadily eating it then looks at me and says " I feel so bad eating this in front of you because you can't have any", I looked at her and said " No its fine I am ok" and kept drinking my water as she drank a liter of Dr. Pepper. She could also lose about 60lbs but she doesn't have the power like I do. It just depends how comfortable you are about what you are doing and how you approach it. If I were you I would just go and visit to get out of the office
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #6  
IP since Jan 23,2012

S/C/G: 252.8/ticker/165

Height: 5,2

That is exactly what happened today, the team at work just had a going away lunch for someone and it was pizza and zuchini/chocolate chip cake in our boardroom, I went and sat and chatted with them and drank my water (nobody knows I am on this diet) and right now I am eating my protein pack and veggies and am pretty proud of myself
Girlwithaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 294.6/see ticker/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
Could you not go and just order a simple salad with a chicken breast without it being $25? or even just a simple salad. I agree with Itsabouttime, could you not go just to visit? I went see my best friend the other day, its been about a month or so since I've seen her and she knows I am on a diet. She sat right in front of me and at Popeye's Fried Chicken, being from the south this is one of my favorite foods. She is steadily eating it then looks at me and says " I feel so bad eating this in front of you because you can't have any", I looked at her and said " No its fine I am ok" and kept drinking my water as she drank a liter of Dr. Pepper. She could also lose about 60lbs but she doesn't have the power like I do. It just depends how comfortable you are about what you are doing and how you approach it. If I were you I would just go and visit to get out of the office
If it was a family event or something like that, for sure i would go but with work, its every friday and i don't want to switch my lunch/dinner every week. But maybe to just have a plain salad and have my IP when i come back is a good alternative. Thank you
Busymomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkib View Post
I am slowely coming out of the social outcast phase. If you want to go, suggest they go somewhere you know there will be food you can have and just switch your dinner protein and lunch around. I agree tho if you don't feel comfortable just tell them you are trying to budget better. Most ppl would understand in these times. I am going out for lunch with my family and inlaws in a few minutes and I just ate my salad with veggies at work and will order 2 grilled chicken breasts and bring my own Franks wing sauce. Very small town "local bar and grill" so I'm sure I will get some strange looks. But...I am doing this to make myself healthier so they can think whatever I guess
I had a nightmare the one time I went to the local small town bar and grill where I am. I asked for a salad plain and they said they didn't have that. I told them to give me the chef salad with nothing but lettuce then. That they could do. I also ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with no bun so I took the tomato and onion off the chicken and added it to the lettuce with the chicken breast. I said no dressing because I had WF in my purse and the guy looked at my husband's family and said, "She's weird." Whatever! I am not weird, I do what I have to do to keep me healthy. Good luck!
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/256/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAboutTime View Post
I had a nightmare the one time I went to the local small town bar and grill where I am. I asked for a salad plain and they said they didn't have that. I told them to give me the chef salad with nothing but lettuce then. That they could do. I also ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with no bun so I took the tomato and onion off the chicken and added it to the lettuce with the chicken breast. I said no dressing because I had WF in my purse and the guy looked at my husband's family and said, "She's weird." Whatever! I am not weird, I do what I have to do to keep me healthy. Good luck!
Well I think going there was a nightmare in itself let me tell ya... So I ate my salad with veggies before and ordered 2 GRILLED chicken breasts. Thought all was fine but he came out and they don't have a raised grill, just the grill that they cook everything else on!! My chicken had so much grease on it that AFTER wiping it off with my napkin here I sit half an hour later and I feel like I am going to die!! I feel like someone punched me in the tummy! Note to all please check how they "grill" the chicken, fish and what not when eating in a small town bar type place!!
nikkib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 158.8/152.8/130

Height: 5'5

How about you go on birthdays? but not every friday. you seem like an outcast if you never go...not if you go occasionally.

And i would share that you are dieting because then you dont seem like you are avoiding people but like you are limited.

The guy I am dating knows I am dieting and he plans accordingly- we see a movie instead of dinner, etc or if we go to dinner, we go somewhere i can eat
AuburnKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #11  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I find that yes...im anti social more so now..i used to get together with friends for lunch and dinner and used to eat out at restraunts and used to invite people over all the time and bake goods all the time..and now..nothing...i dont bake... i only cook for myself...it sucks..but its true..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

I have only been out to eat 3 times in 6 weeks. Like you said, it is expensive to do IP, so I am cutting out other stuff. I am going out tonight to see Wynonna Judd with the "girls" I plan to have a salad and grilled chicken. I don't want anyone to know I am really "dieting", maybe making better choices. There are just too many questions when you tell someone that you are doing a specific diet and for some reason that makes me anxious, probably because I don't want to fail. I would go out every other friday or if it's someones birthday and just have a side salad.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I have never really been the "eat out" type of person because you just never know what it is the food. I have always enjoyed eating at home, however, we do go out to eat occasionally and I sometimes have to eat out for work. I have found there you can get a salad with grilled chicken / steak / fish just about anywhere. Any time I go out, that is my go to. If I am going to a nicer place, I have found that you can get a grilled piece of chicken / steak / fish with steamed veggies and a side salad just about anywhere.

Money / budget issues are one thing, but no need to limit seeing your friends and family and being anti-social because of IP. If anyone says anything about what you ordered, just say "I'm making an effort to be healthier".
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #14  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAboutTime View Post
I did the same weird thing. The only item I could order on the menu was a harvest salad..I told them to give me the salad without the dressing, without the candied walnuts and without the cheese. The waitress thought I was crazy, but did it. Then a few days later I returned..she remembered me and smiled and said I might as well order things that I could eat.

Last edited by Maile; 08-13-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote