Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 12:37 PM   #1  

Default ummmm, well, I found a Wal*Mart!

Yep! They opened up a new Wally World, right across the street from where I had my consult today. BIG EXCITING NEWS....it is only 20 minutes away!!!

Yep, I had the consult and was told that because of my health history....or that of my relatives that I should have the by pass surgery, not the band.

I liked this gal alot. She got right to the point and said, "It is time for peach to take care of peach" and then implied that I would die sooner from an obesity related illness than I would if I don't have the surgery. Oh! she also said that at some point in our dieting careers that we all hit a wall....and I have hit the wall.

She sees no reason why I wouldn't breeze through the surgery.

I will admit that I am scared and a bit upset...to say the least.

got to run and do library time at school, I will check in later.

peach
Old 01-22-2003, 12:49 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

oh peachie. i know that wasn't what you wanted to hear. we'll talk later...
Old 01-22-2003, 01:47 PM   #3  
Slowly going crazy!

Well, Peach...have you thought about getting a second opinion (about the band). Not that I think it's better than bypass or anything, but if you are uncomfortable with bypass maybe see what another doc would say. Remember this is only one doctors opinion, and the band being so new in the US maybe makes HER feel uncomfy recommending it to you. The US trials weren't that great, but if you look at the success rate of the band you will see that it far exceeds the US trial reports.

I do agree however that you need to take care of yourself now! ! You are worth it!

((HUGS))
Old 01-22-2003, 04:10 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

amy... the place peachie went was one of the 8 clinical trial centers in the US for the lap band approval. the woman she saw did all the work for the clinical trials. in the hands of these guys, the lap band has had just about the best results in the US, with the lowest number of complications.

and i've talked with my surgeon [involved in these trials] about the differences between the US and the european data [and this was WAAYYY before peachie even raised this issue]. his take: surgeons in the US are more likely to see their patients for aftercare than surgeons in europe, just because of the health care system. so that europeans had to wait so long to see their surgeons, that they actually learned to live with whatever discomfort they wanted to see the surgeon about [or it all resolved anyway]. he also said that in the US, when a patient comes in with a complaint, the first response is to DO SOMETHING, even if it's to undo the band or convert the lapband to the rny.

just one doc's opinion. but if peachie decides to go with the band, she's still in about the best hands, with the best outcomes.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:17 PM   #5  

Been there, heard that.

I was very very adamant about having the band for a long time but more than one dr thought that rny was the way to go. It is jarring and somewhat deflating.

However, once I got comfortable with the rny, I did okay. Now that I'm on the other side, I'm glad for it.

Do what is right for you and listen to your instincts about which way to go.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:02 PM   #6  
she who must be obeyed

peachie, 'member what I said to you earlier..........scratch that!! As your friend.......I'm telling you to "go for it." I know she is right, you have hit the wall.

Well.......it's time to knock that wall down and if an rny does it, so be it.

You have all my support.

Debbie
Old 01-23-2003, 06:57 PM   #7  

Ladies, Thank you for everything. I am much better today and will be going forward with the rny. I have a date with the surgeon on March 12th, a gyno appointment in early February and tomorrow I will make the appointment with the cardio guy and my primary doc......oh yea....and I'll go to the new Wall Mart too!

So thank you, thank you, thank you for calming my nerves and giving me the courage (amy and her quote) to move forward.

love,
peach
Closed Thread