100 lb. Club - contentment and re-evaluating goals

lottie63
08-10-2011, 10:10 PM
So my ticker goal is 155.

and I know that some of you are starting out at 220 lbs and think you are huge or whatever, but since starting at 299, I"m SO happy at 220. I think I only want to get down to 190. I remember BEING 190 and thinking how great I looked and how incredible I felt about myself. I honestly think for whatever reason this time around I look smaller at a higher weight.

This pic is me at 280some, and then at 220:

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j469/weightlossjourney99/beforeduring-1.jpg

and this is me in 2004 at 190
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j469/weightlossjourney99/love-1.jpg

I think I might be happy and healthy at 190. All my blood work is now in order. I'm doing fine, I eat insanely healthy, I exercise (though could do more, and iwll.) I might push it to 175 but I honestly think I might make my first big goal 190 and then go from there.

SweetTreat80
08-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Wow girl, you seriously rock curves at 220! Congrats on the weight loss to date, you make a good point though. My ticker goal is 135 but I'm quite certain that when I get down to 170 I will start looking at my body and seeing what I think about it and how I feel about it and I might not want to lose anything else.

As long as you are comfortable in your skin that's what matters.

Magalo
08-10-2011, 10:55 PM
I think you should aim for a healthy weight instead or just a good-looking one. At 190 lbs your are still in the obese BMI, putting you at a higher risk for cardiovascular disease and heart attack. That's not something to aim for !

Michi702
08-10-2011, 11:10 PM
I think that you should stop when you feel comfortable with yourself. I do understand that from a health perspective 190 might not be ideal, but you already shed 110 pounds which makes a WORLD of difference for your health. And if you're blood work is in order and you are fit from working out then even better.

You may be happy at 190 for a while and then decide to go lower, and that's also totally fine. Sometimes I think people get too wrapped up in the whole BMI thing and forget that there are other ways to measure health and fitness. I also think there's something to be said for keeping some curves - I personally want to stop around 165 because I'll be voluptuous :)

jenjen
08-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Lottie-I always love reading your posts and admire your style. You rock any outfit you wear!!!

I can totally understand where you're coming from. I'm comfortable at my current weight and have been pretty much maintaining through the summer. I like how clothes fit and that I can buy regular clothes. My health is the best it's been in a decade.

I'm planning on losing more, but my true goal at the moment is to increase my fitness level.

Once you get to 190, you can re-evaluate and decide. There isn't a right or wrong answer.

Wyllowbelle
08-10-2011, 11:19 PM
First off, you're already beautiful, so this isn't about looks. In fact, You look SO great that I should probably hide this post from MR. Kiki because he would most certainly drool. And I hate drool on my keyboard.

I think if you're eating and you're exercising, then you've changed your entire outlook and your entire life. And I think these healthy habits will be a part of your daily living - so your body may just hang out where it wants to. If you know you're active, making smart choices, and drinking all your water (blah blah blah etc) then Just LIVE your life. And don't worry about rather you're at goal 1, 2, or 3. Isn't that what all of this is supposed to be about? About LIVING a healthy life, not just waiting to get to a certain point to declare it so?

The only wrong choice would be listening to a fascist beauty standard, which, dahling, it looks like you're already rocking your own.

Enjoy your health!

-Kiki

lottie63
08-11-2011, 12:47 AM
I think you should aim for a healthy weight instead or just a good-looking one. At 190 lbs your are still in the obese BMI, putting you at a higher risk for cardiovascular disease and heart attack. That's not something to aim for !

I disagree with the bmi scale. So no I'm not worried about what my bmi says.

Also, as long as my hip to waist ratio (which is a big factor for heart disease which btw, I do not carry most of my weight in the middle anymore as you can see in the pics, so I'm good there.), and cholesterol/triglycerides/sugar is in a healthy range I Don't see the problem with being 190.

I'm currently 220 and in a mental health study focusing on weight loss and health. I am monitored closely. I"m a 95% whole foods gluten free vegan with good blood work that is only getting better. I was told I have 'virtually no cardiac risk' by my study doc. I feel being 220 lbs and having the blood work I do is due to my insanely healthy diet and recent loss.

I feel like another 30-45 lbs and I'll be happy with how I look, and the fact is, my health is actually good at my current weight. I have very little left to work on, I'd like my cholesterol to be slightly lower and i"m sure 30-45 lbs from now it will be. Esp with the recent changes/supplement changes I've made to my diet.

I was very unhealthy at 299 lbs with high cholesterol/triglycerides/sugar/the only thing I never had an issue with was blood pressure. My heart felt like it was gonna pop after eating at times and I was on the verge of developing sleep apnea (so says my bf after hearing the way I breathed in my sleep.) ALL of these problems are either entirely gone or improved to almost perfect levels.

If it's concern your speaking from, thanks for the concern, but from a health standpoint I do think it's possible to be overweight and healthy. Maybe not morbidly obese and healthy, not 299 lbs and healthy, which is where I was, but right now, all signs point to yes, it is possible. The goal is to stay that way and to improve.

I've seen people my height who are 155 lbs, and honestly, I'm not interested in looking like that. I didn't do all this to go from being unhappy with the way I looked and unhealthy, to unhappy with the way I look and healthy. I know there is a good middle ground. For me that middle ground is probably going to be the 175-190 lbs range.

Also, no offense, but you want to be 95 lbs, so I'm not real sure why you're even in this thread, and two, we clearly have different ideas of attractiveness AND health.

lottie63
08-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Wow girl, you seriously rock curves at 220! Congrats on the weight loss to date, you make a good point though. My ticker goal is 135 but I'm quite certain that when I get down to 170 I will start looking at my body and seeing what I think about it and how I feel about it and I might not want to lose anything else.

As long as you are comfortable in your skin that's what matters.

haha, thanks!

lottie63
08-11-2011, 12:49 AM
I think that you should stop when you feel comfortable with yourself. I do understand that from a health perspective 190 might not be ideal, but you already shed 110 pounds which makes a WORLD of difference for your health. And if you're blood work is in order and you are fit from working out then even better.

You may be happy at 190 for a while and then decide to go lower, and that's also totally fine. Sometimes I think people get too wrapped up in the whole BMI thing and forget that there are other ways to measure health and fitness. I also think there's something to be said for keeping some curves - I personally want to stop around 165 because I'll be voluptuous :)

voluptuous is fab. ;) and yeah my blood work is good, so I'm not too terribly worried about that. I might stay at 190 for a few months and then try and get down to 175, but I have no desire to be smaller than that.

lottie63
08-11-2011, 12:50 AM
Lottie-I always love reading your posts and admire your style. You rock any outfit you wear!!!

I can totally understand where you're coming from. I'm comfortable at my current weight and have been pretty much maintaining through the summer. I like how clothes fit and that I can buy regular clothes. My health is the best it's been in a decade.

I'm planning on losing more, but my true goal at the moment is to increase my fitness level.

Once you get to 190, you can re-evaluate and decide. There isn't a right or wrong answer.

congrats on the improved health! :) I need to increase fitness too. It's difficult cuz I work two jobs but I'm cutting down to one in a few weeks. Woooo!

lottie63
08-11-2011, 12:51 AM
First off, you're already beautiful, so this isn't about looks. In fact, You look SO great that I should probably hide this post from MR. Kiki because he would most certainly drool. And I hate drool on my keyboard.

I think if you're eating and you're exercising, then you've changed your entire outlook and your entire life. And I think these healthy habits will be a part of your daily living - so your body may just hang out where it wants to. If you know you're active, making smart choices, and drinking all your water (blah blah blah etc) then Just LIVE your life. And don't worry about rather you're at goal 1, 2, or 3. Isn't that what all of this is supposed to be about? About LIVING a healthy life, not just waiting to get to a certain point to declare it so?

The only wrong choice would be listening to a fascist beauty standard, which, dahling, it looks like you're already rocking your own.

Enjoy your health!

-Kiki

Thanks hon! ;) I agree.

linJber
08-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Everyone is entitled to decide how much they want to weigh. And everyone has their own view on BMI, "normal" weight ranges, etc.

Lottie - at 190 you would be still about 10 pounds in the obese category according to BMI. At 180 you become just overweight. But I'm going to say something here that I hope no one - especially you, Lottie, takes offense at. BMI charts are approximate and cover a wide range of weight that's normal for every height. I am totally flat chested but you certainly are not. I think if everything else were equal (height, waist size, hips, etc.,) you could be at the same level of BMI as I am even if you outweigh me by 10 or 12 pounds because pf the difference in boobage. That said, I agree wholeheartedly with readjusting goals as we get closer. A healthy BMI is important, but so is the ability to maintain a given weight. Do what feels right for you. You're doing a fantastic job.

Magalo - I see you are 5'-3" tall and your goal is 95 pounds. Do you realize that that according to BMI, the lowest ideal weight for your height is about 104 pounds? At 95 pounds your BMI is only 16.8 - that is well into the "underweight" category. Please be healthy in this journey.

Lin

lottie63
08-11-2011, 01:16 AM
lol. I"m not offended. I was blessed. (Cursed?) lol, in that area.

Yes everyone has a right to an opinion, if you were referring to my comment to her, but I do get a little annoyed when skinny people with weight goals like hers come in and preach health to me when I"m posting on a forum designed for people who are at least somewhat in my situation. She's being a hypocrite, if she were really concerned about bmi vs health she wouldn't have a 95 lb weight loss goal.

I never 'buy it' when skinny people tell me I need to lose for health when they wouldn't dream of gaining for health. I've read that even though a bmi of 25 is what people shoot for, that a bmi of 28 is where the least diseases are found.

It just always sounds condescending, and that may just be my real life experience and past issues showing through, but that is just how I take it.

Didn't mean to offend.

Lovely
08-11-2011, 01:32 AM
I see nothing wrong with selecting a goal, sticking with it for a while and re-evaluating when you get there. Even if re-evaluating simply means "I'm good with where I'm at!"

Not everyone's goals are the same around 3FC, we all know that =) In fact, not everyone even puts the same stock into the same fitness evaluations. (The BMI charts (ie glorified height/weight chart) are particularly ...not controversial that's not quite the word I would use, but ... they're not universal for all people.)

Some people's goals are to stop using as much medication, some are to get their numbers in line, some are to get to a certain size, and some are a specific number.

Lottie - Keep on keepin' on. I'm amazed that so far you've been able to lose weight and drastically improve your health in the process. Three cheers for you! :yay: :yay: :yay:

MrsTee
08-11-2011, 08:01 AM
My goal wieght for the moment puts me in the obese catorgory well and truly - but when I get there I'll be so darn happy - I might well just stay there!!!!!!
We all are different shapes and sizes, I am very heavily built only 5 foot 7 but size 12 feet, and hands bigger than my husbands, and broader shoulders than the average man. My ideal weight is not likely to be comparable to a slight build.

KatMarie
08-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Hubby sitting here so I handed him the iPad and asked how you look at your current weight, he said "hot". I hit him...hard. Lol.
I have some bad joint and back problems and arthritis and osteoporosis already, so I'm still going to lose a little more, hoping it'll take more stress off my joints and bones. If it wasn't for that, I liked the way I looked at around 165.

sontaikle
08-11-2011, 08:23 AM
First let me say that you are GORGEOUS in all of the pictures you posted! If you want to stop at 190 because YOU feel comfortable there, then do it! I believe that this journey is about feeling comfortable in your own skin. Besides, if you get down to goal and decide you want to lose more, nobody is stopping you from doing that!

My goal weight is at the heighest possible healthy weight according to my bmi, but my true goal size is 6 so I plan on stopping whenever I get there, I know I won't feel comfortable in a skinny body, so that's not my goal. However, I will see what happens when I get down to a size 6 and if I'm happy, I'll stop. If not, I'll keep going.

April Snow
08-11-2011, 08:23 AM
I have chosen to not set a final goal at this point. At 229, I know that I want to lose more. Will I feel the same at 190? I have no idea - I'll have to figure that out when I get there, or at least get closer.

And interestingly, my diet (Dukan Diet) includes a calculator to determine one's "True Weight." It's based on age, how much you currently weight, the most you've ever weighed, how many diets you've been on and some other factors. And when I started this plan at 261 lbs, it calculated my "true weight" around 180 with the comment that while it was higher than the goal weight I had selected, it was "a realistic and healthy weight that you can attain and maintain for the rest of your life." Now, I don't know if I'll achieve 180, and I don't know that I would definitely want to stop there if I do get there.

However, I do believe that the number on the scale is important, but not the only thing. And finding a number where indicators such as blood pressure and blood work are good, that allows for an active and healthy lifestyle, and happiness with your own body are factors that have to be balanced along with finding a number that can be maintained long term, even if it's not the ideal weight someone could weight. And the plan I'm on happens to very much agree with that philosophy - even when it's written by a doctor who has devoted his decades long career in medicine helping people lose weight.

All of this is to say that, Lottie, I think that you will know for sure whether or not 190 is right once you get there and you can decide then, it's not something you have to know for sure 30 lbs away from that number. Also, don't forget that you can stop at 190, maintain that for some length of time and decide that you do want to lose more, I've seen many happy and successful 3fc posters whose journeys have followed a pattern like that.

lottie63
08-11-2011, 08:53 AM
I did the dukan's thing and it says my true weight is 175, another number I am perfectly happy with. I feel like somewhere between 175-190 is where I want to be.

I'd like to be able to buy bras IN THE STORE without ordering, ha, so maybe that is how I will pick my final weight, when I can do that. ;)

lottie63
08-11-2011, 08:54 AM
kat, too funny :P thanks ;)

and thanks everyone! My 3fc ladies are so wise. :P haha :)

linJber
08-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Lottie - one more thing - my comment about offending people was aimed at ME not wanting to offend YOU with my "boobage" comment. I meant that you can certainly carry an extra 10 pounds better than I can, all else equal, simply because I have the chest of a chubby 14 year old boy! LOL.

All other comments aside, I believe that finding and maintaining a good weight is the best goal. One where you don't yo-yo up and down. One where you feel good. I said I was going to lose 100 pounds. If I had to stop right now, I'd be OK with how I look and feel. I am at a huge disadvantage to you in that I am 60 years old and had been 250 pounds probably longer than you've been alive. Things just aren't going to snap back into place for me the way they will for you. So, I might not lose much more. If I start to get too baggy, I'm done. Time will tell, but my ultimate goal is to get to a healthy BMI and stay there.

And while I don't want to get into it with anyone about their views, I do feel an underweight BMI is not healthy, either.

One last thought on the whole concept of "normal" weight and BMI - if you were to be analyzed in depth, your individual numbers would take into consideration your bone structure and athleticism. Picture a 6' tall, 230 pound man with a pot gut and spindly legs. Now picture a 6' tall, 230 pound man who lifts weight and is a body builder. BMI for both is just over 30 putting them in the obese range. Clearly they are not the same.

Do what feels good, healthy, and comfortable for you. And I just LOVE your sense of style and wish I had possessed your self confidence at your age. You will do well.

Lin

Edited to say - at some point, STOP picturing the 6' tall, 230 pound body builder or it may interfere with your productivity for the rest of the day.

sontaikle
08-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I just did the Dukan thing and got 145 pounds as my "true" weight. Not too far off from my goal of 140. We'll see what happens once I get into the 140s and how I feel about my body.

Edited to say - at some point, STOP picturing the 6' tall, 230 pound body builder or it may interfere with your productivity for the rest of the day.

Haha! I don't think I WANT to stop picturing him! :dizzy:

FitGirlyGirl
08-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Lottie - I think that for most of us health is the #1 priority. You have (with the exception of wanting to lower your cholesterol a bit more, which is a problem than can plague even the skinniest of people) apparently gotten a handle on that aspect of this thing. You are, by your standards and those of your medical professional, healthy. So with that done, all that is left is a vanity thing. That is a very personal thing. No matter what size someone is they will be attractive to some people and not to others, so the one person it is most important to be attractive to is ourselves (with our SO generally coming in a close second). If 175-190 is what you think makes you beautiful then that is what you should aim for. There will always be people who think you should be different than what you are. There will be some who think you should weigh less, some that think you should weigh more, some that hate your hair color/cut, some that think you should have less ink, some that think you should have more. Who cares what they think! As long as you are happy with you then you are exactly where you should be. Though, for the record, I too think you look great now and am sure that you will also be gorgeous at 190, 175, or anywhere between them.

I must also wonder why, if the issue is BMI, Magalo is aiming for an unhealthy BMI in the other direction and why she hasn't answered anyone who has questioned that. I would say that I don't mean to be offensive, but my comment is no more offensive than hers was, so I'm not really worried about it.

runningfromfat
08-11-2011, 12:53 PM
lottie, I can seriously relate to your post. First off, though, you look absolutely gorgeous!! For me I'm starting to get pretty happy where I am now. I still do want to go farther but I'm just not certain if I'll ever reach 140 or not (primarily picked so I'd be losing an even 100lbs and it was my HS weight).

One thing you might want to consider, though, is that you don't necessarily lose evenly (and in the spots that you'd like!). For the most part I'm pretty happy with my body BUT recently I've lost everywhere except my waist so it tends to accentuate that more. I'll definitely have to lose more now to even things up a bit. In reality I'm pretty happy in the low-170's from past experience but I've also had a kid since then so my body is different and that's going to probably affect my end goal also. Speaking of which, I'm not sure if you're a mom or want to have kids some day but that's something to also consider. I started my pregnancy at 175lbs and that was pretty hard on my body since I carried a large baby and gained a lot. Next time around I'm hoping to start at a much lower weight.

Also, you don't necessarily get to pick your goal weight. It might be that with all your healthy eating habits and working out that you just go right on past 190 until your body stabalizes somewhere lower. Who knows? I think, though, it's much better to pick a weight that you can maintain and are happy with than one that has a perfect BMI. Clearly at 190lbs you're WAY healthier than pushing 300lbs!!!

I do agree that BMI can be funny. I'm also a chesty gal, I lift quite a bit, and I'm big boned. There's just no way I'd ever make it to the lower end of my BMI. I've been 140lbs before but as a runner, never as a lifter so I'm not even sure if that's realistic anymore. According to the Dunkan Diet thing my "true weight" is 151lbs. I know I'd be really happy there so we'll see. It might be a better indication to get your body fat done. Especially with your proportions it might be a lot more useful to you when you do get to 190lbs than your BMI ever will be.

I did the dukan's thing and it says my true weight is 175, another number I am perfectly happy with. I feel like somewhere between 175-190 is where I want to be.

I'd like to be able to buy bras IN THE STORE without ordering, ha, so maybe that is how I will pick my final weight, when I can do that. ;)

Same here but I'm pretty sure it's never going to happen for me. :( I have a small ribcage (I'm guessing it will be 30" or less at goal since I'm already almost at 32" now and I definitely still have back fat) and large boobs (maybe an H cup or so?). One can dream, though, right? ;)

lottie63
08-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Lottie - one more thing - my comment about offending people was aimed at ME not wanting to offend YOU with my "boobage" comment. I meant that you can certainly carry an extra 10 pounds better than I can, all else equal, simply because I have the chest of a chubby 14 year old boy! LOL.

All other comments aside, I believe that finding and maintaining a good weight is the best goal. One where you don't yo-yo up and down. One where you feel good. I said I was going to lose 100 pounds. If I had to stop right now, I'd be OK with how I look and feel. I am at a huge disadvantage to you in that I am 60 years old and had been 250 pounds probably longer than you've been alive. Things just aren't going to snap back into place for me the way they will for you. So, I might not lose much more. If I start to get too baggy, I'm done. Time will tell, but my ultimate goal is to get to a healthy BMI and stay there.

And while I don't want to get into it with anyone about their views, I do feel an underweight BMI is not healthy, either.

One last thought on the whole concept of "normal" weight and BMI - if you were to be analyzed in depth, your individual numbers would take into consideration your bone structure and athleticism. Picture a 6' tall, 230 pound man with a pot gut and spindly legs. Now picture a 6' tall, 230 pound man who lifts weight and is a body builder. BMI for both is just over 30 putting them in the obese range. Clearly they are not the same.

Do what feels good, healthy, and comfortable for you. And I just LOVE your sense of style and wish I had possessed your self confidence at your age. You will do well.

Lin

Gotcha, and I agree.

lottie63
08-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Same here but I'm pretty sure it's never going to happen for me. :( I have a small ribcage (I'm guessing it will be 30" or less at goal since I'm already almost at 32" now and I definitely still have back fat) and large boobs (maybe an H cup or so?). One can dream, though, right? ;)

I'm not having kids. I'm 31 and happily childfree. They are just not for me.

I know what you mean, I keep losing from my waist and my ribcage, my boobs have shrunk a little, I've lost almost 80 lbs and have gone from a size 44 H to a size 38 G, I'll be ordering a 38 F next month cuz this one is as tight as it can go and it's not gonna last me much longer.

This past month though I have managed to lose an inch from waist, hips, ribcage and bust! woooo! :)

Sophronia
08-12-2011, 12:39 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

InsideMe
08-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Girl you'll know when you get there. When you hit 190 take a look at yourself naked in the mirror and if you are totally happy with you and where you are at; your healthy, happy, feelin' sexy in your skin then rock it girl! If not, drop some more :) You rocks the curves girl, very Marilyn Monroe ;)

FitGirlyGirl
08-12-2011, 02:30 PM
For what it's worth, I asked my DH his opinion and he thinks you're hot. I won't use his exact wording so as not to offend ;)

InsideMe
08-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Ok I'll confess...I'm a dyke and well uhhhh yeah your supa hot ;)

Emme
08-12-2011, 04:07 PM
lottie ~ You are one foxy mama!! You look great. Stop where you feel comfortable and just go with it from there. Keep up the great work! :)

lottie63
08-13-2011, 07:49 AM
heh, thanks everyone!

twinmommaplusone
08-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Go for Healthy Lottie!

Your Curves are Great and Just remember too you are large breasted woman with some great kicking curves so you will never get to the standar 'bmi' as some other 'petite, smaller breasted woman' so maybe 190 is going to be comfy for you...maybe you get there and just live 'healthy' and you eventually get to 180 without much thought....just keep eating right and moving and let the chips fall where they may!

Great Job, Btw!

aliasihaya
08-13-2011, 04:26 PM
I think another thing this post illustrates is just how different everyone is. I'm a about 223 and incredibly unhealthy. I'm jealous that your bloodwork and everything is great at 220. But I think that's where it goes to show that a healthy diet and exercise is really important and not just losing weight. I've just started on this journey and am struggling to get into the routine. Some days are better than others. But I have to lose more for my health than anything else.

What I also found interesting was your comment about being 220 and loving the way you look since your starting weight was higher. It reminded me of how back in my thin days in highschool I felt fat at 135 then 150 then 180 as I watched the pounds increase. I'm 5'1" but bigger boned so I'm never going to look like the skinny girl. I've always been bigger sizes than my friends. But I wish me back then had realized how much better is was than me now. Not only in terms of insecurities with the way that I look but just in terms of better health and mobility. The cliche of hindsight is 20/20 is so true. And I'm always going to work in the future to encourage younger girls to relax about their weight and appreciate how they look as long as their health is good.

But I'm working towards just making it under 200 at this point. Once I get there I'm going to assess what my next goal will be. I did put 135 as my target weight however I think I'll probably hit plateaus at much higher weights and coast for awhile before deciding to move on. So it makes sense to me that you'd want to hang out around 190. But I agree with other people's comments to spend some time there and then reassess what you want to do from there.

But your story is inspiring to me and I think you look amazing as well. Congratulations on all that you've achieved and good luck going forward.

Sunshine87
08-13-2011, 05:05 PM
You have such beautiful curves! I certainly did not look that hot at 220!

If you want to re-evaluate at 190, go for it!!! I mean you said that you eat healthy and workout on a regular basis. Of course, all the medical books will tell you that you should maintain a BMI of 25 or less but THIS IS ABOUT CHANGING YOUR LIFE. Every little bit counts (and an 80lb weight loss is not just a little bit)! You should be very proud of your weight loss! Congratulations and good luck with the rest of your journey!

lottie63
08-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Just made a blog post about this topic:

http://beyondwillpower.blogspot.com/2011/08/contentment-and-goal-evaluation.html