Weight Loss Support - I've just got to laugh

View Full Version : I've just got to laugh

NotJustALittleFat
08-10-2011, 01:44 AM
A Facebook friend of mine posted a picture of her "healthy" salad she had for dinner. It was light on the lettuce heavy on the cheese, ham, bacon, turkey, and drowned in ranch so much so you almost couldnt see the salad. It was served with white bread "rolls" with so much butter on it there was a puddle on the bread. Then she razzed on another friend who is dieting for eating wings for dinner. I used to think that was healthy too. So glad I eat smarter now!;)

canadianwoman
08-10-2011, 02:25 AM
Atkins diet perhaps with those Oopsie rolls?

philana
08-10-2011, 03:18 AM
Haha! I know what you mean - it is amazing how people have such a twisted image of what is healthy food. My mom is convinced she eats healthy also. But you should see the amount of oil, salt and flour that goes into her dishes. It's nuts really.

But, it's like me and politics, I am very politically active and focus a lot on sustainability. I just don't 'preach' to people around me to tell them 'how it works' because I feel uncomfortable. On the other hand, if I'd dare and stand up more and 'teach' people stuff I know... it could help them (and the planet). But I am just shy that way.

Would you tell people that their food is really not as healthy as they might have thought/hoped? And if so - how would you do that without sounding condescending?

ERHR
08-10-2011, 08:27 AM
That would be a healthy salad for me, minus the bread (you seem you be focusing on the fat). Gotta love low-carb!

I guess if I had a friend like that who honestly thought she was trying AND she criticized other people's food (thereby opening herself to criticism) I would just ask her what her diet plan was and how she came to it. If she didn't have one ("salads...") I'd suggest some resources or just calorie counting. I think if you get anyone calorie-counting and hitting the right range for their body they are going to start making healthier choices just to avoid being hungry!

twinmommaplusone
08-10-2011, 08:33 AM
I would say it looked yummy cause it likely did, lol.

Then I would say how I eat my salad :)

abluvion
08-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Man, I was gonna say she could be low-carb but then you threw that roll in there...

Oh well. We all make our mistakes :) I have a friend who constantly says "oh you can eat this, it's healthy" talking about, say, a flavored yogurt with more sugar than a candy bar (not healthy in my plan). I don't worry about correcting her, just say I don't want it... Don't want to come off as high-and-mighty or whatever. Live and let live :)

Tanna Banana
08-10-2011, 10:04 AM
DH and I were just talking about this. His manager is always talking about his eating healthy- Then he eats things like nutrigrain bars (multiple at a time), fish filets (fried- but it's fish!) and "salads" (with plenty of cheese and dressing).

For him, I think it comes down to a lack of awareness about nutrition. I think a lot of people fall into that category. They want to be healthy but are truly unaware of how to do it. I feel bad for his manager. Hopefully he'll figure it out. My DH is smart enough to not get involved. :)

pandadawn
08-10-2011, 10:12 AM
hahaha... of course it's healthy. It's a salad isn't it?

Google "Giant Taco Salad Inventor" :)

m3rma1d
08-10-2011, 10:13 AM
I have a friend who thinks he's being health-conscious when he's at McD's by ordering a Filet-O-Fish.
"BUT FISH IS HEALTHY!" he says.
Dumbazz.

NotJustALittleFat
08-10-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm just doing an eat healthy things and stay within a good calorie range so nothing is off limits for me, but that salad would take my whole days worth of calories!

I have no clue if she's trying to lose weight. She needs to lol. I think she's probably just in the "oh I could lose a little" mindset most women are.

I could never correct someone unless asked or placed in a position to do so. I feel like I'm pretty socially inept and would never be able to think of how to do it tactfully. Twin momma seems to have it figured out, though!

KatieC87
08-10-2011, 10:40 AM
hahaha... of course it's healthy. It's a salad isn't it?

Google "Giant Taco Salad Inventor" :)

LOL! Now THAT was funny!

I don't tell people what they're eating isn't healthy. None of my business. I'm busy enough counting my own calories to try counting someone else's too. ;)

KatieC87
08-10-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm just doing an eat healthy things and stay within a good calorie range so nothing is off limits for me, but that salad would take my whole days worth of calories!

It's amazing how many calories can go into a salad when you're not measuring the ingredients! I started measuring when I got on my plan, and I was probably eating 600+ calorie salads without even realizing it! Yikes!

What saves me a ton of calories is dipping my fork in dressing and then eating the salad. When I'd go to restaurants and order a salad (pre-plan), I used to just pour the entire container of dressing on the salad. Now I eat about 25% of the bowl by dipping my fork. Makes me sick thinking about how many calories I was consuming just by using all of the provided dressing. Ick!

Esofia
08-10-2011, 10:55 AM
That's not a salad, that's a meat platter with a few bits of lettuce for decoration.

PreciousMissy
08-10-2011, 11:09 AM
When I first started counting points I went through my kitchen and wrote the points per serving on everything...I was amazed when I found out that (pre-plan) I was eating 2-3 servings of something in one sitting and using the majority of my daily points.

I had just bought frozen chicken nuggets, and when I realized I could have a whole chicken breast for half the points of 6 nuggets I gave them away!

christine123
08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
It reminds me of a friend who tells me she's trying to lose 10lbs and works out like crazy and eats healthy. But she will have a huge ziploc baggie full of homeade trail mix as a snack. This is why she's not dropping the lbs. She's eating too much!

sontaikle
08-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Reminds me of the time a friend of mine said he wanted to eat healthy. He didn't need to lose weight, but just wanted to eat better foods...nothing wrong with that! I watched as he grabbed a salad out of the fridge and proceeded to DOUSE it in dressing! I didn't say anything but I sure felt like chuckling!

JOLINA
08-10-2011, 12:54 PM
I went out to eat with my friends this morning. My breakfast was 500 calories. Theirs were over 1000 each.

I go out to eat with my friends on Friday...for fish dinners.
They are 200# overweight. They order deep fried battered fish and french fried potatoes. And corn smothered in butter. And large cokes. And a large dessert.

I order baked fish and mashed potatoes, a green veggie and lemon water.
I'm full. I tell them mine is 1/4 the calories.

They tell me they are out to enjoy their food, and don't have time to count calories. They believe in exercize and go for a walk twice a week around the block. I don't think they know what a calorie is.

I asked them last week how they are doing on their diets. They both got angry with me. They tell me it is impossible to diet all summer.
They can't go on a diet in the summer because "there are just too many parties and picnics to go to all summer." Free food.

In the winter, it is still "there are just too many Holiday events to attend." More free food. Can't turn it down if it's free!

One lost 20 pounds early in the spring, but gained it all back. She blames it on "the parties." It's the party's fault, not hers.

This goes on all year: Free Party Food! Let's hog it down!
Pigging out is more important than being healthy. If it's free...pack it in!

Geez... :(

MY LOW-FAT DIET IS WORKING. THE FAT HANGS LOWER EVERYDAY!

Beach Patrol
08-10-2011, 01:14 PM
<~ ~ ~ ~ wonders why anyone would post a picture of their meal on FaceBook... ?? aka...is anyone really interested in what you're eating???

yoyoma
08-10-2011, 01:37 PM
<~ ~ ~ ~ wonders why anyone would post a picture of their meal on FaceBook... ?? aka...is anyone really interested in what you're eating???

I think I know the answer. It's called the "flash diet". Turns out that posting pictures of your meals is even better than journaling in terms of correlation with actual weight loss. (Maybe it's partly because you might get feedback when you do things like eat calorie-laden chef's salad thinking it's low calorie.) Here's an article I just googled... I heard of this some time earlier...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1052234/The-flash-diet-Taking-photos-meals-helps-slimmers-lose-weight.html

Esofia
08-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Funny how often the Daily Fail gets quoted on this site. You non-Brits do know what kind of a newspaper it is, right?

Interesting study. I can't for the life of me see how taking a photo yields quicker results than jotting something down, unless it's a Polaroid, and it doesn't sound like that's what they used. It's noteworthy that they talking about "shaming dieters into eating less". I don't calorie count as part of a shame mentality, I calorie count so that I know exactly what I'm eating and can balance it correctly. I could make two healthy-looking meals, roughly the same amount to eat, both looking nice to photograph, and one could be much higher in calories than the other if I did something as simple as adding a handful of almonds. However, I can see the point in taking pictures as a way of avoiding snacking, where a picture has a lot more impact than just writing it down. It may also depend on what you react to more strongly. Oddly, I think I do better with a textual representation, despite being a visual thinker. Perhaps it's because of the greater accuracy, which eliminates time spent in guesswork? Calorie counting really doesn't take long if you just use appropriate software, and I certainly don't do it hours afterwards, I write down the calories for something before I eat it.

yoyoma
08-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Funny how often the Daily Fail gets quoted on this site. You non-Brits do know what kind of a newspaper it is, right?

I grabbed it cuz it was the top result in my search and a quick glance told me that it had the same sort of info I remembered. The newspaper may not have the best rep, but it's really the study itself that matters.

I've found that when I'm logging I do generally do better at losing (but not always!). So, I'm not really sure why it is so useful.

Expunge
08-10-2011, 03:17 PM
It's really amazing how much damage advertising (and decades of bad nutrition advice being disseminated publically) has done to our perception of what's healthy as a whole. Salads are advertised as healthy, and this idea of salad=healthy is so ingrained... when in reality at most restaurants, the burger is fewer calories and fat! Of course home-made salads can be amazingly healthy (and delicious), but I'll never trust a restaurant salad.

twinmommaplusone
08-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Twin momma seems to have it figured out, though!

;) you sort of learn how to offer advice when you think you can....and then you learn when not too.

You know so many people just don't care!

Often...you know who are the ones that really don't? The thin people! They are Thin....they don't have to worry about 'healthy' ....um...Hello! Healthy is the Goal! Sure, I can run with the Best of them now...but when you see that I'm getting faster or that I'm getting stronger...don't wonder why...ask yourself how not! I eat well and I perform well because of it!

but I agree with everyone...even what I thought was healthy and good when I was obese was 'in a small sense' but no where even close! lol. Crazy!

Esofia
08-10-2011, 04:02 PM
I grabbed it cuz it was the top result in my search and a quick glance told me that it had the same sort of info I remembered. The newspaper may not have the best rep, but it's really the study itself that matters.

Yes, but the media often wildly distort studies and research, to the point where they can literally report the opposite of what the study found. Admittedly the reputable papers and websites do this too, but I certainly wouldn't rely on the Daily Fail to report the fact that the earth moves around the sun correctly.

twinmommaplusone
08-10-2011, 04:06 PM

Oh My Gosh Yes! All my friends and Family love all my meal ideas and are always interested in what I'm eating!

Just started blogging more about it cause it's easier to Blog then get my inbox full of questions and suggestions all the time!

Just like being here...people like sharing :)

sontaikle
08-10-2011, 04:11 PM
I went out to eat with my friends this morning. My breakfast was 500 calories. Theirs were over 1000 each.

I go out to eat with my friends on Friday...for fish dinners.
They are 200# overweight. They order deep fried battered fish and french fried potatoes. And corn smothered in butter. And large cokes. And a large dessert.

I order baked fish and mashed potatoes, a green veggie and lemon water.
I'm full. I tell them mine is 1/4 the calories.

They tell me they are out to enjoy their food, and don't have time to count calories. They believe in exercize and go for a walk twice a week around the block. I don't think they know what a calorie is.

I asked them last week how they are doing on their diets. They both got angry with me. They tell me it is impossible to diet all summer.
They can't go on a diet in the summer because "there are just too many parties and picnics to go to all summer." Free food.

In the winter, it is still "there are just too many Holiday events to attend." More free food. Can't turn it down if it's free!

One lost 20 pounds early in the spring, but gained it all back. She blames it on "the parties." It's the party's fault, not hers.

This goes on all year: Free Party Food! Let's hog it down!
Pigging out is more important than being healthy. If it's free...pack it in!

Geez... :(

MY LOW-FAT DIET IS WORKING. THE FAT HANGS LOWER EVERYDAY!

Criticizing your friends and having an air of arrogance around them isn't going to help them lose weight. Just keep doing what you're doing and set an example. If they follow it, great. If not then it's their decision. If they ask you for your opinion, then give it. Otherwise just keep your opinion to yourself.

Not everyone is ready to lose weight. Some will never be. Making others feel bad about their weight is NOT the way to go about getting them to lose it.

Laureedee
08-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Like others have said, maybe she's on Atkins.

My cousin's wife does the same thing with her eating. Her idea of a "healthy" salad for lunch is a huge plate of iceburg lettuce literally drowned in full calorie/fat ranch. And then of course, she's still hungry, but claims the little "bites" (she claims, but last time I checked, a handful of something is NOT a "bite") of chips or whatever she has between then and dinner don't count. She's also using Slimfast shakes and that Sensa stuff over anything she deems unhealthy so she won't eat as much of it. I don't say anything to her because she gets an attitude about it (I've tried to be helpful, but learned to leave it alone) but I seriously want to laugh when she compliments me on my weight loss and then wonders out loud why I'm losing and she's not even though she's eating "healthy" food.

SuaSponte
08-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Criticizing your friends and having an air of arrogance around them isn't going to help them lose weight. Just keep doing what you're doing and set an example. If they follow it, great. If not then it's their decision. If they ask you for your opinion, then give it. Otherwise just keep your opinion to yourself.

Not everyone is ready to lose weight. Some will never be. Making others feel bad about their weight is NOT the way to go about getting them to lose it.

I completely agree. If one of my friends seriously looked at my plate and told me that their food was 1/4 the calories of mine? Wow. They would not be my friend for much longer.

I don't know why it bothers people so much when other people aren't as well informed about nutrition - it certainly took me a number of years to figure it out, and I definitely used to think that all salads were healthy, because that's what restaurants/media/others all seem to be telling us.

Also, you do have to consider when being so judgmental about others' choices that they might have a different diet plan than you do. I'm low-carb, so sometimes I eat things that might at first glance look artery-glogging disgusting to people who are just calorie counting or watching fat. And I would be really offended if a friend thought they knew more about my diet than I did.

ELBS717
08-10-2011, 04:48 PM
My first job was working at Micky D's when I was in high school (10th grade), and when they introduced 'healthy alternatives,' being salads, I was astounded to find out that even the grilled chicken salad had an enormous amount of fat in it. Some people automatically assume it's 'healthy' because it's *grilled* chicken, nevermind the cheese and not-so-light dressing they put on top! I really thought that they were /injecting/ the chicken with fat, or something... how do they get chicken breast to hold so much fat!! I'm just glad I bother looking at nutrition facts before I judge whether something is "healthy".

DezziePS
08-10-2011, 05:07 PM
I was just thinking about this today- how many people truly do not know what a healthy meal is or how calories/fat work.

One of my male friends is very, very big and constantly talking about his troubles losing weight. I think he thought that anything his mom might have made for dinner was "healthy" and nutritious and not that bad for you. Like a giant hunk of meatloaf with lots of mashed potatoes and bacony green beans. And pretty much anything that was served with a glass of milk had to be healthy.

Another friend has been trying to slim down and goes to the gym with some frequency, but then when she gets done working out, she "treats" herself to a visit to Starbucks- usually lattes and muffins are involved. I don't think she realizes that even a strenuous workout will probably not burn the five or six hundred extra calories she's taking in!

April Snow
08-10-2011, 05:38 PM
It is kind of sad that there are so many people with no idea at all about nutrition, calorie counts etc.

Aside from the examples here, they will do things like get a huge, calorie-laden muffin at Dunkin Donuts and then pat themselves on the back because that's the healthy choice compared with a donut, right?

I think it's tough to critique other people's food though, unless they specifically ask. But I would assume that posting it on Facebook constitutes asking, in the sense that if you post it, you must expect people to comment. I'm not sure exactly what I'd say - maybe something along the lines of what Twinmomma suggested and say that it looked delicious but unfortunately, too much fat and calories to be healthy on my plan.