Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-10-2011, 01:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/192/140

Height: 5 Feet, 5 Inches

Smile I've just got to laugh

A Facebook friend of mine posted a picture of her "healthy" salad she had for dinner. It was light on the lettuce heavy on the cheese, ham, bacon, turkey, and drowned in ranch so much so you almost couldnt see the salad. It was served with white bread "rolls" with so much butter on it there was a puddle on the bread. Then she razzed on another friend who is dieting for eating wings for dinner. I used to think that was healthy too. So glad I eat smarter now!
NotJustALittleFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:25 AM   #2  

Height: 5'3"

Atkins diet perhaps with those Oopsie rolls?
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:18 AM   #3  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Haha! I know what you mean - it is amazing how people have such a twisted image of what is healthy food. My mom is convinced she eats healthy also. But you should see the amount of oil, salt and flour that goes into her dishes. It's nuts really.

But, it's like me and politics, I am very politically active and focus a lot on sustainability. I just don't 'preach' to people around me to tell them 'how it works' because I feel uncomfortable. On the other hand, if I'd dare and stand up more and 'teach' people stuff I know... it could help them (and the planet). But I am just shy that way.

Would you tell people that their food is really not as healthy as they might have thought/hoped? And if so - how would you do that without sounding condescending?
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

That would be a healthy salad for me, minus the bread (you seem you be focusing on the fat). Gotta love low-carb!

I guess if I had a friend like that who honestly thought she was trying AND she criticized other people's food (thereby opening herself to criticism) I would just ask her what her diet plan was and how she came to it. If she didn't have one ("salads...") I'd suggest some resources or just calorie counting. I think if you get anyone calorie-counting and hitting the right range for their body they are going to start making healthier choices just to avoid being hungry!
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #5  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

I would say it looked yummy cause it likely did, lol.

Then I would say how I eat my salad
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Man, I was gonna say she could be low-carb but then you threw that roll in there...

Oh well. We all make our mistakes I have a friend who constantly says "oh you can eat this, it's healthy" talking about, say, a flavored yogurt with more sugar than a candy bar (not healthy in my plan). I don't worry about correcting her, just say I don't want it... Don't want to come off as high-and-mighty or whatever. Live and let live
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #7  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

DH and I were just talking about this. His manager is always talking about his eating healthy- Then he eats things like nutrigrain bars (multiple at a time), fish filets (fried- but it's fish!) and "salads" (with plenty of cheese and dressing).

For him, I think it comes down to a lack of awareness about nutrition. I think a lot of people fall into that category. They want to be healthy but are truly unaware of how to do it. I feel bad for his manager. Hopefully he'll figure it out. My DH is smart enough to not get involved.

Last edited by Tanna Banana; 08-10-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/153/135

Height: 5'9''

hahaha... of course it's healthy. It's a salad isn't it?

Google "Giant Taco Salad Inventor"
pandadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #9  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

I have a friend who thinks he's being health-conscious when he's at McD's by ordering a Filet-O-Fish.
"BUT FISH IS HEALTHY!" he says.
Dumbazz.
m3rma1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/192/140

Height: 5 Feet, 5 Inches

I'm just doing an eat healthy things and stay within a good calorie range so nothing is off limits for me, but that salad would take my whole days worth of calories!

I have no clue if she's trying to lose weight. She needs to lol. I think she's probably just in the "oh I could lose a little" mindset most women are.

I could never correct someone unless asked or placed in a position to do so. I feel like I'm pretty socially inept and would never be able to think of how to do it tactfully. Twin momma seems to have it figured out, though!
NotJustALittleFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandadawn View Post
hahaha... of course it's healthy. It's a salad isn't it?

Google "Giant Taco Salad Inventor"
LOL! Now THAT was funny!

I don't tell people what they're eating isn't healthy. None of my business. I'm busy enough counting my own calories to try counting someone else's too.
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJustALittleFat View Post
I'm just doing an eat healthy things and stay within a good calorie range so nothing is off limits for me, but that salad would take my whole days worth of calories!
It's amazing how many calories can go into a salad when you're not measuring the ingredients! I started measuring when I got on my plan, and I was probably eating 600+ calorie salads without even realizing it! Yikes!

What saves me a ton of calories is dipping my fork in dressing and then eating the salad. When I'd go to restaurants and order a salad (pre-plan), I used to just pour the entire container of dressing on the salad. Now I eat about 25% of the bowl by dipping my fork. Makes me sick thinking about how many calories I was consuming just by using all of the provided dressing. Ick!
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

That's not a salad, that's a meat platter with a few bits of lettuce for decoration.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #14  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

When I first started counting points I went through my kitchen and wrote the points per serving on everything...I was amazed when I found out that (pre-plan) I was eating 2-3 servings of something in one sitting and using the majority of my daily points.

I had just bought frozen chicken nuggets, and when I realized I could have a whole chicken breast for half the points of 6 nuggets I gave them away!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

It reminds me of a friend who tells me she's trying to lose 10lbs and works out like crazy and eats healthy. But she will have a huge ziploc baggie full of homeade trail mix as a snack. This is why she's not dropping the lbs. She's eating too much!
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote