Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: pounds lost: 8.9 of 52.5

Talking Paris in 6!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum so I thought I should introduce myself somewhere and explain what I'm after.

First off, let me just say that this message board has already been quite motivational for me, and it has been a part of what's gotten me into the mindset I'm in right now. Thank you! I hope I will have the opportunity to return the favor and offer some support of my own now.

In a nutshell: I've never been tiny but for most of highschool and the first half of university I was a normal weight for my tall frame. I moved in with my boyfriend two years before I graduated, got so comfortable and happy, and gained weight. now it's been two years since graduation and I've been steadily gaining, despite consistently meaning to lose the weight.

That said, I've never really and truly committed to any kind of plan or change in my lifestyle that has lasted more than a week, so I have never shown myself that I can succeed. I think this has been a big part of the problem for me. The others are quite simple: I consider food a source of enjoyment instead of fuel, I would rather read or watch a movie than go for a walk or go to the gym and we let too much low quality processed foods into our diet.

My name is Paris in 6 because my boyfriend and I are going to be spending some time in Paris in only six short months! This is something I have always wanted to do, and even though we are only going to be there for a month or two, it is a huge motivator for me. I am at my heighest-ever weight right now and I seem to be gaining faster than ever. I'm also just starting to be in physical discomfort because of my weight. I know things are only going to get more difficult as I get older. I want to use this occasion to make these lifestyle changes now and enjoy the benefits of better health and fitness as soon as possible.

In an ideal world, I would love to lose sixty pounds over these next six months, but I feel that is far too ambitious for someone whose not lost five pounds in her life. I would be within normal range for my height at 60 pounds lost, and I do want to get there eventually, but for now I'm going to focus on increments of ten pounds and work more on a consistent, honest, livable effort than any one number. I want to find out what I can accomplish in 6!
paris in 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:57 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome =)

It sounds like you've got a steady mind about this goal. "Now" is always the best time to be making changes and improvements in our lives.

Six months is a good long time, and I bet you'll be able to make a ton of changes within that span and end up very happy with the results.

Tell us about your food plans or exercise goals We'd love to help support you for 6 months, and of course, well beyond that when you get back from your trip!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #3  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Welcom! You already seem to have learnt some valuebable lessons. (Putting them into practice is a whole other thing) but your mindset sounds right. Not going too fast, and focus on healthy (amounts of) foods. I think going to Paris will be a great motivation. And people in France are really skinny a lot also... so if you lay off the bread and wine when you are there I think you can just continue your journey when you are there. Lot's of fresh foods and good markets!

Goodluck, and great to have you on the boards!
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

Welcome!!!! First, let me say that I am so jealous of your Paris trip lol!! 60 pounds in6 months is not unrealistic at all if you set your mind to it!!! Can't wait to learn more about you and help you along!!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #5  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Welcome! I am so jealous of your upcoming trip to Paris! I'm minoring in French, but I've never been outside the country, haha.

You seem to have a very healthy mindset, and a reasonable goal. Good luck!
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: pounds lost: 8.9 of 52.5

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's so nice to have some support from people striving for the same thing.

As far as my plan goes, I've decided to give myself a week (maybe two) to focus on getting my diet in check. I've decided I'm going to take the calorie counting route, but I want to make sure I'm eating the right things. Right now I drink too many calories, in juices and sweetened coffees, mainly, and I need to cut that out. I also want to eat at least half as many carbs and twice as many vegetables. I'm trying to eat at least two vegetables at each meal, which is definitely a change for me. The big challenge food wise is going to be snacking and deciding on a calorie budget. I'm very open to any advice on either subject!! haha

So, starting off with rehauling the diet and walking in the evenings, and then after I feel like I am getting the hang of that I'm going to start incorporating the exercise. The gym is not an option for me right now, so I'm still trying to work out an alternative for myself. I am coming to terms with the exercise part little by little. I really, really, do not enjoy it. I would like to think that maybe someday I'll grow to love it, but that seems pretty unlikely at the moment. I'm going to do it though, because I know I have to.

Mostly I just don't want to make too many changes all at once and scare myself away from my newfound "I can do this" mentality! How did you guys start out?

Last edited by paris in 6; 08-09-2011 at 11:01 PM.
paris in 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

That's an excellent way to start.

When I began back in April, my two starting goals were to track everything I ate to start, and to walk five minutes a day. That was it.

But, here I am more than 3 months later, and I built up on that. I'm now exercising 25 minutes a day, and I'm staying within my Points (I'm a Weight Watchers member), and I'm eating way more fruits and vegetables than before. I am by no means done, and aim to slowly continue to add in more exercise or higher intensity and even healthier choices of foods as time goes on.

I'm never going to be "done" just always aiming for a little healthier.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/154/135

Height: 5'4"

Hey Paris in 6!

Congrats on getting started! I currently live in Paris and I can say that not everyone here is thin! Please don't feel like you have to be a skinny minny to come here - the French are all shapes and sizes just like everyone else.

That being said, though, I have lost about 40 pounds living here. It's simply enjoying to the fullest the food that is in front of you, walking a lot, and loving life!

Paris is such a beautiful city, and if you feel good about yourself, you will feel better here.

Bon courage!
SJtangerines is offline   Reply With Quote