Weight Loss Support - What's with the scale?

View Full Version : What's with the scale?

mselle
08-08-2011, 01:38 PM
The scale did not move this week. I'm feeling a little down about it because I walked at least 8 miles this past week, I ate perfectly (usually 200-300 calories under my goal), my food intake was great (lots of fruits and veggies and "good" carbs), and I hiked for 2 hours on Saturday morning...what the heck is going on???

Okay- this is a little embarassing...but I haven't been going to the "bathroom" regularly- like maybe once every 2 days. Is this normal? Is my body just adjusting to my new way of eating? I know it's impossible to get a correct weight reading unless I go. GAH! :?:

NotJustALittleFat
08-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Your body could just be holding onto water especially since you haven't gone #2 in a while. I know I get bloated when I haven't gone. Plus the stuff itself weighs a good bit. Just rest assured that the scale owes you a few pounds and be excited when it gives them to you :)

Lucky72
08-08-2011, 02:00 PM
I feel your pain. I only seem to lose weight every second week. First week big drop 3.8 pounds. Second week nothing. Third week another 3.8 pounds. Fourth week a GAIN .4 pounds. This is week five so hopefully my theory will hold true.

Your body could be in a bit of shock - I know when I have pumped up the fibre my insides need some time to adjust. Just make sure you are drinking LOTS of water and walking - that usually gets things moving.

Is it gross if I wish you luck?

NEMom
08-08-2011, 02:19 PM
I hated my scale this morning too. It showed a two pound gain and I cannot figure out why it went up so far either. Hopefully, I too am just hanging onto some water weight.
Keep at it. That is what I plan on doing.

heathermichigan
08-08-2011, 02:35 PM
If I have a bad weigh in day, I weigh the next day. Often times the water weight or whatever it is has gone away (and I spend fewer days second guessing my hard work and feeling bad!)

KittyKat1465
08-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Try to eat some fiber

Magalo
08-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Do your scale measure fat/muscle percentage ? If not, it's a good thing to have one so you'll know if you lose fat/gain muscle. :)

PreciousMissy
08-08-2011, 04:27 PM
I just recently asked the same bathroom question in another thread. For some people, going only every other day, or once every three days was normal.

I know my body went haywire when I very first started and has leveled out to a "pattern" now.

Also, my scale hasn't moved in a week and a half...just don't give up. It's normal to not see a loss every week. Some people have mentioned how their scales will stall for two weeks and then they have a big "whoosh" the next week.

ELBS717
08-08-2011, 04:48 PM
When the scale fluctuates so much so rapidly, it means that it is just water weight and not fat - fat takes much longer to burn off! The increase in veggies and fruits might have messed up your 'regularity' - and cause you to maintain water. I did a detox for raw fruits and veggies for a whole week - and I had to add in lean protein (chicken or turkey breast) because I was so lethargic and a bit bloated. You could try adding some good protein (if you aren't eating any), and/or take some fiber supplements.
In any case, a better indication of your progress is HOW DO YOU FEEL? The scale isn't the only measure! Stick with it - you're probably gaining muscle in your legs from all the walking and hiking you're doing too! Well done!

ItsMyTurn
08-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Totally normal. You have shocked yourself with, what sounds like, extra activity than you are used to doing. Have a cup of cranberry juice and in 1-2 days you will be "flowing" normal (just to give it some umphh).... and you should see the accurate weight when that all... ummm... lets go? ;) Either way, don't think your efforts are in vain....they sure aren't :D

xxkaleidoscopic
08-08-2011, 05:34 PM
It happens sometimes. This morning, my scale showed a 0.6 gain, and I was so angry, because I did everything right yesterday (I weigh daily). I think my muscle relaxer and pain killer yesterday slowed my metabolism. -___-

Anyway, it happens. The most important thing is just to keep truckin'.

QuilterInVA
08-08-2011, 06:04 PM
I really question if we should use what we weight naked the first thing in the morning as what we weigh because it's only for that instant. Breakfast will add a pound and so we really weigh more on average. Some people do not go every day so every 2 days is not bad. There is only that short time between our BM and when we eat that we don't have it in us so, again I question.

You should put the scale at the bottom of the list of how well you are doing. Its the permanent lifestyle changes that we make that determine our success, not a number on the scale.