Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 01:58 PM   #1  

Post WLS 20+ yrs ago

I know that the surgery has been vastly improved, as attitudes have, but I thought I'd share my story with anyone interested.

I had a Gastric Bypass back in "81 before they were popular. I then weighed 375 lb. I lost 126lb in one year and was certain that even if I never lost more, I'd never gain it all back. Butttt........I now weigh over 400. How much, I don't know because my scale doesn't go high enough.

I know what I did wrong. I thought the surgery would take care of the weight loss problem once and for all. I didn't make the proper changes in my MIND. I didn't change my attitudes about food or the things that made me overweight in the first place. I didn't make any real life style changes. I didn't take any responsibility for controlling my own fate.

The surgery was a horrible experience. An 18-in incision, unsympathetic hospital staff, hospital gowns that didn't fit and 7 days in the hospital. Also I had a seeping wound for about 3 months and now have a HUGE hernia at the site.

About 8 years ago, I took Diet Pills and lost 150lb in one year. At the end of the year, though, I felt horrible. Believe it or not, I became anorexic. I quit eating. My DR said that if I didn't start eating he would put me in the hospital and put in feeding tubes. So.....I started eating, and didn't quit.

To tell the truth, I have considered having the surgery redone since the process has improved. But, since it didn't last before, why should I believe it would now? Is there anyone out there who has real long-term success stories?
Old 01-21-2003, 04:07 PM   #2  

Surgery is not a guarantee. If you don't make the lifestyle changes it will not be a long term fix. There is nothing that will let you eat and eat. You will have to learn to control that first.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:30 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

linda... you were a pioneer and my hat's off to you. a childhood friend had the surgery done about the same time you did and had to have it reversed, her side effects were that bad, and she didn't keep the weight off either.

i've heard that some people do have the surgery again, but as you have found out from bitter experience, without the changes in the head, this won't work.

i've met a couple of people who are 10 years out, and their message is ALWAYS the same: it's a lifetime commitment, and it's possible to outeat this.

my attitude is that this is now my way of eating, of living. some folks do WW, others do atkins, others do low fat/low calorie. we ALL have to pick one anyway!

keep posting. whatever you decide. we have so much to learn from you. i hope you share.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:28 PM   #4  

Linda,

You were so brave to have this surgery so many years ago! How old were you at the time? How has it affected your life?

I guess since you are even considering have a new surgery that it must have had it's good points, huh?

I haven't had surgery yet, so I don't know what to tell you. As a fattie, I know that I will do almost anything to lose weight! I hope that whatever you decide, the decision is the right one for you! Good luck!

Patty
Old 01-22-2003, 03:25 AM   #5  
Slowly going crazy!

Linda,
I know you are thinking of a revision for your surgery.
I had an Adjustable Gastric Band placed just this past December. It is a less invasive surgery and some who have had the bypass are now getting the lap-band placed as well if their past bypass has failed them. You might want to look into something like that as well.

I'm sorry you didn't have the follow-up you needed after surgery. It is an entire lifestyle change and if you start changing your eating habits now (as you know you need to do) perhaps you can use the past surgery to your benefit.
Have you seen a gastric surgeon and had your pouch measured?
How about checking in with a nutritionist?

Don't beat yourself up. You were a pioneer with this surgery. Now most gastric bypass are done laproscopically...very minimally invasive! ! !
I wish you well, and hope that you can get back on this journey with a postive outlook on life. ((HUGS)) You will find some great support here.
I wish I was a long timer, but I'm still a baby at this weight loss surgery stuff.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:08 AM   #6  
she who must be obeyed

Linda so glad to meet you.

Years......and years ago, I worked with a woman who had the "old" standard of gastric by-pass surgery. At the time she was keeping the weight off, but told me she would not advise anyone to do it.

So much has changed since that time. I hope you stick around and share your experiences with us.

Do you think your stomach has grown back together? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think years ago they did not actually seperate the new and old stomach, just put in a line of staples. Many of the failures were due to the line of staples failing and the stomach being normal sized again. Did this happen to you?

Welcome
Debbie
Old 01-24-2003, 10:04 PM   #7  
Cute Chick

S/C/G: 254/202/135

Height: 5'0"

my aunt had the surgery over 20 years ago...and still hasn't gained the weight back

BUT my mom had WLS in Dec of 98 and regained what she lost and then some...

each person is different....but you have to be dedicated to make the life change before the surgery...not telling yourslef that "I will do it after i have the surgery"
Old 01-25-2003, 02:24 PM   #8  

There are two people in my support group who are having revisions, one from VGB and one from an old bypass. Even so, the dr. has warned them that the surgery is a tool not a miracle cure and you can outeat any of them.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:53 PM   #9  

I also had the old surgery 20 years ago. I was one of the few who didn't think it was to bad, the only side effect I had was I had to be by a bathroon when I ate, the instant squirts. I lost 116 in a year, felt great,many years later something tragic happened in my life and I turned to food, it crept up slowly but now it's getting worse. I saw my doc and talked to him about the surgery again, he said I could do it, it wouldn't be as bad as the first time but it is still major surgery. I am going to try again on my own with help from ww, I really would like to do it myself, it's more my health now than anything. So one way or the other I need to lose. My weight isn't high enough for it, but the health problems are. I do not suggest surgery to everyone, it is a big mind thing also. And yes you do have to change your way of thinking. Just letting you know about me.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:54 PM   #10  

loon,

Thank you for sharing your story. Feel free to jump in on any of the threads here, we could all learn from your experiences.

all the best to you,
peach
Closed Thread