Simply Filling/Core - Weekly chat 8th-14th August

View Full Version : Weekly chat 8th-14th August

jojo23
08-08-2011, 03:21 AM
Morning all

Is Sloanie on holiday? Haven't seen a post from here for a while, or have I missed them?

pam920
08-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Morning chickies. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Sloanie is 2 hrs from me and it's been so hot here and school is starting this week, so maybe she is busy with that.

Maryann, good to see your smiling face again. Sounds like you had a great time while you were gone.

I had to reformat my computer last night. It was running out of memory, tried to shut down to reboot. Then shut it down manually and couldn't get it to start at all. Backed up my files and reformatted. Of course I've lost all my bookmarks, etc. I do have them on disk. Can I just put in disk and bring it all back? I'm pretty good on computer but some things still confuse me.

I've done pretty good the last 2 days on my diet and only doing 20 min. on treadmill, but that's a start. My sis is running a half marathon in Sept or Oct. Kudos to her. I can't run with my bad knee but would like to walk a 5K one of these days.

Hope we all have a good week ahead.

jojo, thanks for the new thread.

Vickie
08-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Good Morning Chicks! It's still warmish here but nothing like the heat in Texas. I was in the pool yesterday and enjoyed myself immensely. May not be able to get in this week as the temps will be in the low 80's. We'll see if the pool water holds.

JoJo, I feel for you. My Mom died of Alzheimer's but she suffered with it for years before she succumbed. It was back in the late 80's all the way to 1999 when she died. Hardly anyone knew what it was back then. I know exactly what you are going through and how much it can pain your heart. Let me know if there is something I can do to help.

nancy237
08-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Grandson and I had such a nice weekend. Visited relatives in Columbia, SC Friday and met my brother in Charleston, SC Saturday. We explored Sunday up the coast from Charleston to Wilmington, then he fished off a pier at Holden Beach til 11 pm. We got home at 2:30 am so I am going to be lazy today. He caught a small shark so that made his day..
Found a little quaint & charming town named Georgetown, SC that I would love to live in someday. Even met a lady in a coffee shop there that invited me to come stay with her to explore the area.
Probably the first trip since Robin died that I actually enjoyed. The others were friends trying to get me out of the house but I was way too sad to enjoy.

Vickie
08-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Nancy, I'm happy for you. It's ok to be happy, you know. That's the mistake I always made while grieving....that I wasn't being loyal if I was happy. NOT true.

jojo23
08-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks Vickie. I don't think any of us can know what it's like for the relatives unless we are going through it. I know I didn't know the half when I was a nurse. My mum is just a shell of what she was. As well as the dementia she has a detached retina from rubbing at her eye, total urinary incontinence, third stage kidney disease and auditory hallucinations. She is 91.

I've had an e-mail from Sloanie she is OK just very, very busy. Her daughter is getting married in October and Sloanie is making all the invitations and decorations herself.

I know what you mean Maryann 'Children' I know well, turn up on my doorstep as young adults and I've not noticed them growing up.

It's 20 past 8pm and we are watching on TV the riots across London. The fires and damage is appalling. It's started in Birmingham now.

Talk to you all tomorrow.

pam920
08-08-2011, 03:51 PM
no one answered me... When does this challenge start? was it last week? if so, I did lose a pound from last week. Let me know

Vickie
08-08-2011, 03:59 PM
JoJo, my Mom was "diagnosed" at age 69 and she died from its complications when she was 79. So many horrors. One never expects to have to change their Mom's diapers but I, too, have been there. We finally had to put my Mom in a nursing home because it was unsafe for her to even live with family as she had to be watched, 24/7. I lived with her until I was 35 when I moved in with Jim. Then we had a Niece move in with her for a couple of years until they couldn't care properly for her anymore. She was safe in the nursing home but declined eventually. She lost all verbal skills which was really sad as she was quite the talker. She remembered me the longest. I was her baby and friend and lived with her the longest. She was with me on my wedding day to Jim and actually had a moment of lucidity when she saw me in my wedding dress. It was almost my undoing. It was shocking the day she no longer recognized herself in a mirror. She became horribly upset with the stranger to the point that we had to cover the mirrors. I also remember the day we left my middle Sister's house after visiting for a while. She shook my Sister's hand on the way out and said "It was SO nice to meet you". I left my Sister sobbing in her kitchen. Hideous, HIDEOUS disease. I and my Sisters hope that they find a cure soon as we are afraid to get it too. They didn't even have any medicine back then so improvements have definitely been made. You have my prayers and good thoughts.

Pam, I think the starting weigh in was today but I'm not sure.

Vickie
08-08-2011, 04:01 PM
JoJo, I'd also recommend the book, The 36 Hour Day. It's been revised several times now but was quite enlightening for me. It was available at my library and Amazon.

pam920
08-08-2011, 04:14 PM
how sad to read your stories. No one in my family ever had Alzheimers. My great grandma might have. We all thought it was senility back then, when I was a kid. My MIL has it and so far, she knows the 2 daughters that live near her and her husband. When my husband visits, she sometimes knows him and then doesn't a few minutes later. I remember her early signs of the disease, the repeating, etc. She always asks about me when my husband calls her. She has gotten really strong since they took her gallbladder out, but her mind is going so fast. It's so hard on my FIL, seeing her like that. It's such a heart-breaking disease. Hugs to both of you {{jojo and Vickie}}

ontarget
08-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Pam, I think the challenge started today. That's when I started anyway. Congrats on losing last week. And kudos to your sister for running a marathon. I couldn't even walk one.

I haven't had a loved one with alzheimer's unless my maternal grandfather had it. All I remember was that he had dementia. I remember his not knowing me one time. It is a horrible horrible disease. I think I would rather lose my body than my mind.

So far today I'm making outstanding eating choices. Hope you're all doing well. It's good to be working this together. Life is good.

nancy237
08-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Why do i eat worse the very first day i decide i am going to start a diet.??
I ate fast food for breakfast & lunch today..Very unlike me..

My cousin thinks its an internal protest..that I am not ready to do a strict diet..
Perhaps I am better off just maintaining..

I am going to try a notebook where I plan meals on 1/2 the page and then write actual food eaten on the other side if the page.

Jojo :hug:

nancy237
08-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Pam..I think its exactly 20 weeks from Sunday (8th) til Christmas day.
I tried on clothes today and felt so frumpy..Always easier to hide fat under winter clothes for me than summer clothes.

jojo23
08-09-2011, 03:30 AM
PAM We can start whenever we want. The final WI will be Christmas Day. It's just 20lbs in 20 weeks seems a good spur to get us going.

pam920
08-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Morning chicks.

I've been doing well but still having too many snacks. I ate the last skinny cow ice cream bar and will not buy anymore. They are so good and only 100 calories. Fruit it is. I am exactly the same weight as yesterday.

I go to the dr today for that mole. It's gotten smaller but I'm still going. If I remember right, I think I got this last winter and it would get bigger than smaller and I always thought it was a pimple. With my sis having to deal with basal cell, I think it best to get it checked. Hopefully it's nothing.

Nancy, I seem to fight this diet thing too. Not sure why. Never had a weight problem until my mid 40's. Never had to worry about anything I ate. Now, I have to watch every bite. Just not fair (whining)!!!!

Sandra, you go girl. We can do this.

Tejas
08-09-2011, 10:32 AM
:wave:

I've been in west Texas with my niece--we had the final, and successful, court hearing about her guardianship of her father/my brother. Very sad--he has bi-polar and Alzheimer's and is in a VA facility.

We go back home today, and I'll catch up.

beach bum
08-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Good Morning Ladies:)

Sorry I was MIA yesterday had a lot to do,after my company left.Had to put all my valuables away when the kids came to visit. Now I had to reverse and put them out again. Went food shopping and now the refrig is full.

Good walking weather is only 71 and its looks like the humidity is down for a while anyway.

Thank Ladies for the welcome back,its great to be back.I love my DGC but the noise & screaming was really getting to me . Guess I'm getting too old for all that.

PAM-I did have a wonderful time being away from the house,by vacationing in Maine if it was just for a few days. I went to register for my walking group but they only take checks & money orders so I have to go back tomorrow. The walking club will be begin Sept 13. So far the girl said that only a few people register so far. I can't run because of my knee also,but walking will be a must to get my left leg strengthen.

JOJO-I like to join your weight loss challenge also,I was gone when you were discussing it. 20 lbs in 20 weeks is doable,that like a one pound a week. I heard about the riots in London and some person on the radio said it going to happen here in America,and we have to watch and be alert. BAD BAD Times in this old world,People Hating People,it whats going on. Keep safe.The grand kids are growing before my eyes they just not interested in kick the can ,or any of the things we used to do when we were kids.

VICKIE & JOJO-Sorry about your families having Alzheimer's. It didn't run in my family or Leo's family,so I have no idea what it is to have a loved one come down with it.

Have to go as my dinner is ready to eat.

Have a great day

pam920
08-09-2011, 12:30 PM
jojo and ems, hope you are not near the riots. I caught the tail end of the news about it, so not real sure what started this. My husband said it had something to do with kids. I did hear on news that an 11 yr old was arrested for looting. So sad. i grew up south of Detroit, during the riots of '67. I was terrified it would come down to our town, which was only about 15-20 miles south. Stay safe my friends and will pray it ends soon.

ontarget
08-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Good afternoon, Chickies. We went out for lunch today. I had salmon, dry baked potato, green beans, and carrots. :carrot:Those were some of the best carrots I've had in a long long time. Exercise today was a little archery. Tomorrow I'll be back in the water hopping around. :dance:

Nancy, it sounds like your body was saying, "One more bite first, please." You normally eat healthy foods. I'm sure you'll get back on the wagon. You'll prob soar way past me on this journey.

Maryann, a walking club sounds neat. Enjoy!

Did I tell ya'll a gf and I are starting an OA group at our church? First meeting is Sept. 12. Life is good.

Pam, I have always had a weight problem. They called me "Butterball" when they brought me home from the hospital when I was born. Life goes on.....

Rhonda, my thoughts are with you and your niece. Have a safe trip home.

Okay, Chickies, let's all go out there and make some good choices. I'll catch ya later.

Vickie
08-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Sandra, you are too cute! My Sister always jokes that she came home from the hospital in a chubbie size kimono!

I'm not going to make good choices tonight, but I hope to not overeat. Serious wagon time tomorrow and maybe even some exercise!

pam920
08-09-2011, 06:11 PM
My internet is down. On my phone posting this. Went to Mexican for lunch/dinner. Tried to not eat too many chips. Went to doctor. He thinks my mole is cancer. Will remove next Thursday.

nancy237
08-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Pam..Not the news you wanted..Did he say what kind he thought.
Will they biopsy it as they remove it or send it away. Its really good you got it checked when you did.

I joined in with some of my friends for a "biggest loser contest" we are all putting $25 in a pot and whoever loses the biggest % of weight in 14 weeks
(starting Monday) will get it all. We have 10 people so far.
I almost want to pig out this week to give me more to lose LOL

ontarget
08-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Pam, I am so glad you went to the doctor. Keep us posted on what you find out. We're here for you if you need to talk. Remember to keep positive thoughts. :hug:

Nancy, your BL challenge sounds like a fun way to lose. I'm rooting for you.

Vickie, just do some dusting in the morning. You'll be all right.

I just finished some Ranier cherries. Pricey but worth it.

Tejas
08-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Home safely from the trip.

Pam---:hug:

nancy237
08-10-2011, 12:32 AM
I have so much running through my mind tonight.

Should I work part time or full time this fall. I can afford to do part time but maybe the structure & busyness of full time would be good for me.

Should I sell truck & boat. One day I think i should keep them till spring & then decide & the next day I think they would be a huge load off my shoulders to sell.

I found a great picture of Robin on the river and its especially great because he had his wedding ring on in clear view. He only wore it a few years when we married and then because it was wearing blisters when he paddled he left it off mostly. It didn't bother me that he left it off but it is great to have this picture with it showing.

I have a headache tonight. Wondering if my new coffee I had this am is low on caffiene.

Night

jojo23
08-10-2011, 03:20 AM
No, I'm well away from the riots but a lady in our road has a brother who has, or should I say had, a music shop in Tottenham. It has been burned to the ground and he has lost everything. He was insured but how can you replace vintage instruments.

Nancy I know that should I/ shouldn't I feeling. It has been a year and 3 months for us now since Beth slipped her moorings and we are just getting our decision making back to normal.

Maryann Welcome aboard the Christmas weight loss train. A pound a week is a nice slow drop and if we don't get there, what the hey? Its not an issue we will be grateful for what we can lose

beach bum
08-10-2011, 09:39 AM

Going to be another hot one today but my tomato plants love this kind of weather I have 6 wiped tomatoes and lots more to ripen. If I have top many I will gives some to friends and neighbors and the rest I will make this Italian Tomato Sauce called "PUTTANESCA"[named for the ladies of the night would put their pots of tomato sauce on the window sills to tempt men into the BORDELLOS.] That's the story I got from Raphael Ray's 30 M cooking.

SANDRA-Thanks,I hope I will be able to keep up with them other walkers if not I will just have to in my pace. That's a good idea for start a OA in your church. I think the only WW meeting place in our town is closing up as not too many members are going there anymore.

PAM-Sorry to hear the mold might be cancerous.Putting you on my special prayer list,that it isn't Does you mole have hair growing out of it????Asking because my mole has and the doctor told me hairy moles are never cancerous. When you see doctor,and if you remember ask him if that is true.

NANCY-Glad that you getting out with friends. I agree with Sandra The BBL challenge will be fun. Hope you win the pot of money.

JOJO-Thanks I will try to keep up with your girls in the challenge.

Have to go,have a great day

pam920
08-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Morning chicks. Another beautiful day and humidity suppose to be down a little.

Maryann, glad your weather is cooperating with your walking. How old are your grandkids?

Nancy, are you a teacher? I sometime miss working, but like retirement better, lol.

Sandra, I bought cherries too. $7 for bag, yikes.

Welcome back Rhonda. You are a great sister and aunt to help your neice through this process.

jojo, hope the rioting stops soon.

I asked the dr. at least 3 times, if he was sure it was cancer. He said he has seen a lot of this and yes, he is pretty sure it is, or pre-cancer. He thinks basal cell. I am fine with that. If I'm going to get skin cancer, that is the best one to get. If it turns out to be melonma, then I will start freaking out. He is going to remove it, then send it off. I go next week, Thursday. My daughter is the one more upset than I am.

The good news, got on the scale this morning and I'm down 1-1/2 lbs. Hope it holds up. I've been doing a mile on the treadmill each day and watching what I eat, so I hope I have a good number next Monday.

Maryann, we were posting at the same time. No, no hair growing on the mole. Dr. mentioned something about nodules or it was nodular??? whatever that is.

Vickie
08-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Pam....that's scary. I'm glad you didn't procrastinate any longer. I know where your 1 and 1/2 pounds went.

ontarget
08-10-2011, 07:15 PM
We just finished dinner and are readying to go to church. After church several of us will go to DQ. I'm planning to just get a Diet Coke. Wish me luck!!

Pam, you're a grave lady.

Welcome home, Rhonda. Guess you noticed it didn't cool off while you were away.

I don't like my ticker/tracker and am wanting to find a cute one. Life goes on.

Tejas
08-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Yes, I noticed that it did not cool down and that we are almost at the point of meeting the 1980 record. It was hot in west Texas too, of course, but I actually saw a rain cloud! :lol:

I'm happy that I didn't gain any weight. We ate Mexican food and each had TWO margaritas the night after the court hearing. But, we were at a hotel with a gym and a pool. We swam every night and I used the elliptical and weights once. I went to the gym today too.

Today, I thought that I am getting used to the heat. That is sicko!

jojo23
08-11-2011, 03:35 AM
Tejas I'm so glad everything went well for your niece at the hearing. What a horrible, uncertain and worrying time it must have been for her.

Pam Thugs, muggers and other degenerates hijacked the fact that the police shot and killed a black youth. He was armed by the way. His family have dissociated themselves with the riots. The courts sat all night on Tuesday and the rioters were scooped up and processed in record time. Our Prime Minister has said that it is no good hiding behind the 'civil rights' banner. If they are old enough to do the crime they will do the time. As far as I know it was quieter last night. The youngest looter arrested is aged 14. Did you see on your news, the poor youngster who was mugged and the looter pretended to help and stole from him?
Three young men, trying to protect their street were mown down by a car and killed. An arrest has been made.
The cops are going through CCTV and mobile phone pictures and have made many arrests already. The message from them is 'We know who you are and we are coming to get you' Yesterday, after the pictures were shown on TV, several handed themselves in. There is no data protection at all over these people.They are being named and shamed as soon as they are found.

Tejas
08-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Troubled times, for sure, Jojo.

I didn't gain while away, but I have gained a few pounds lately. I'm changing my ticker and jumping on the 20 pounds by Christmas bandwagon.

I see that the Iowa State Fair is all excited about fried butter. Been there, done that! That was Texas' State Fair feature last year. :lol:

pam920
08-11-2011, 09:42 AM
morning.

I am liking the scale lately. I am down 3 lbs from last week and 2 lbs from this past monday. I have cut out the mindless snacking and have been getting on the treadmill everyday. I have 2 more lbs to lose to get back to the weight I was, but still need to lose another 15 after that.

Rhonda, welcome aboard. I think all of us are doing the challenge now. We are going to do great.

Hubby went to his parents for a day or two, so I'm home alone. Daughter is using my car, they have theirs in shop getting fixed, so I'm without a vehicle.

I just looked at my desktop and see it's only 67 here. That is the coolest it's been in a long time.

beach bum
08-11-2011, 10:00 AM

Going to make is post short as I got to get to the supermarket for staples that I forget to buy the other day. Crowds for the Road Race are going up into the thousands. Not going out this weekend at all expect for early morning church going.My friends are going to do the same thing. Don't really mind the traffic on the roads but the attitude of people in the supermarkets or out door activities,where tourist believe that they are owed the right to be nasty.

PAM-The morning are cool so if I go down to the beach I go then.My GC twin girls are 11 next girl is 10 and the boy is 8. The GS is the worst as he is the only boy in the family and he is spoiled. Girls weren't allowed to get away with he does. My DD if she doesn't nip it in the butt is heading for big time troubles. Oh I don't what those are either ,but I going to ask my doctor again what he thinks. Congrats on your weight loss you doing great. I'm back from my 3 lb vacation weight I down to 165.5 this morning,and if I make it to Christmas I will be 145.5. Going to work hard for that.

SANDRA=At our DQ if you buy a blizzard they send money to MD.but of cause I love DD Frozen Hot chocolate drink better.

JOJO-Stay safe, the riots are terrible but I heard they they are just going after the store owners.

Have to go,and get out.see you guys tomorrow.

nancy237
08-11-2011, 11:18 AM
I see that the Iowa State Fair is all excited about fried butter. Been there, done that! That was Texas' State Fair feature last year. :lol:

We should post the recipe since the fried frito pie recipe went over so well last year :rofl:

Tejas
08-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Oh yes, Nancy....we should. You would have thought that we were real renegades last year. So, maybe the fried butter at the Texas fair was in 2009!?

Sandra, would you find that recipe for fried butter and put it in the Core recipe thread :lol3:

ontarget
08-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Yeah, right, Rhonda. I'd love to post the recipe for fried butter. I haven't been attacked in a long time and need to be reminded what it feels like. (Actually, I'm tempted to hunt and post it!!)

I hear ya on getting used to the heat. I don't want to be thinking "This isn't so bad" when the temps are still around 105*. That's not right at all. :lol:

JoJo, it's good you don't live near the riots. Stay safe! And thank you again for starting this challenge.

Pam, being alone a couple of days should work to your benefit for getting back on track. Kudos on your losses! You're on your "weigh."

Nancy, you and Rhonda are hoots!! :lol: I think it's your turn to post the recipe. Maybe you could find "fried Twinkies", too.

Those of you with cooler temps--I love you anyway. Our day will come. (I hope.)

My eating's been good all week so far. Life is good. Now I need to hop in the water in the AM and shake my bootie.

Tejas
08-11-2011, 06:33 PM
I am soooo disappointed. We were just a few days away from meeting the 1980 record number of consecutive days with three digit temperatures. But, today, we got clouds AND rain. Not much of either, but enough to cool us off a bit, below 100F.

I had a great upper body workout today with my trainer, followed by swimming with my niece. I did 1 1/2 hours of exercise. I hit the wall :lol:

ontarget
08-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Another sad note--we got to 100* today where I live, but it doesn't count since it's not DFW. Doesn't seem fair that we didn't get any cool air or drops of rain. We have 2 sprinklers going right now. The birds think it's raining.

ontarget
08-11-2011, 08:24 PM
I had 2 corndogs for dinner. Counted the points for them so I'm still OP. I don't have very many WPA's left, though.

Rhonda, kudos, Cuz!! You're an exercising phenom.

jojo23
08-12-2011, 01:37 AM
Oh Lordy, yes I remember the hoo ha over that recipe. I never vebture off this thread because some of those other posters are quite vicious not to mention blxxdy rude.

I feel so sorry for you girls in this heatwave I would have dropped dead around mid July for sure.

Riots seem to be dwindling. The police are rounding them up in huge numbers, the courts are sitting through the night and the prison vans taking them to court have their lights full on so we can all see who they are. They are not so brave now.

The saddest sight I have seen, except for that young Malay boy, was a rioter aged 12 in court completely alone because his mum couldn't be bothered to come. No wonder he is a little feral monster is it?

Some parents have seen their kids on TV and marched them down to the cop shop!

It has surprised us all that many of the looters were from middle class families

pam920
08-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Morning chick-a-doodles. Beautiful morning here. 60 degrees, what a refreshing change. I'm home alone and drinking my coffee. I made a crockpot of steel cut oats last night and added a diced apple. Weight is still holding in check. I didn't get on the treadmill yesterday, but plan to do so today.

Good to hear you Texans are getting some relief. I know it's still unbearably hot for you all.

Maryann, your grandson is the baby of the family. They always get spoiled. I know my first grandson was a terror. I refused to babysit him until he was around 3, he was that bad. Turned out ok.

jojo, the riots are scary. Sad about the boy. Don't quite understand how parents can have children and then don't really care about them.

A corndog sounds good. Haven't had one in years and years. I love the ff ball park franks, but they don't carry them in the store anymore.

Have a good day.

beach bum
08-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Another sunny day with the humidity down and I will be able to open the windows to get some fresh air in. I forgot that my church is going to have a white elephant sale today and tomorrow just before our famous road race.Think I'm going down there and see what on sale.

OK, HOW DO YOU FRY BUTTER WON'T IT MELT??????

SANDRA-Sorry about you high temps,wish I could bottled it up and send it your way.

JOJO-TG the riots are dwindling,These are people that don't have a life that's productive. We have them over here also. The people that have jobs to go to don't riot over the ones that on the dole. Happy to hear that the law won.

Have to go,have a wonderful day

Vickie
08-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I'm here...hanging on. That's all I can say.

nancy237
08-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Vickie...are you well or still recovering...
When you say hanging on do you mean about your eating ??

My son is leaving tonight for college . His dad is moving him in and I am going to drive there on Monday to help him get last minute things for his apartment.
I should be pulling things together from here but he has the basics & we aren't sure exactly what the other 3 kids are bringing so getting moved in first seems better & then seeing what is missing.
Plus bringing things from here will be a great excuse to visit.
Maybe I will hide a few things he has piled up to take so I "need" to bring
them ;)

ontarget
08-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Hi there. Just got home from shopping. I came home with Subway sandwiches. Since I'm doing old CORE, I use avocado instead of mayo. I had the ham sandwich and it was yummy!!

Vickie, hanging in there is about all we can do. Just keep hanging. I'll do the same.

Nancy, I love your sneakiness. Do it!!

Maryann, I wish you could bottle some cool air for us, too. Our weather guesser says 30% chance of rain tonight. We're hoping he's right.

Pam, your oats sound delish. I had mini shredded wheat/strawberries/blueberries this morning.

JoJo, I used to head up an at-risk program at a local high school. It's sad the lack of parental support and guidance a lot of young folk get.

Rhonda, I am glad you got some cooler temps yesterday. We're competing outdoors tomorrow morning and don't really mind the possibility of shooting in the rain.

I'm already scheduled to sub 2 days the first week of school. High school English. Should be fun. I'm looking forward to it. Keep cool, folks!

Vickie
08-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Just my eating....and feeling made at myself for letting it affect my health. Can't exercise because of the heel and then ate poorly and now my cholesterol and triglycerides are all back up. Grrr......

beach bum
08-13-2011, 10:22 AM

Looks like we are going to have a great weekend for the Road Race as the traffic is getting heavier & heavier. My friend Mary and I are going to the movies today to see The Help. My sister told me that the book was super good and she want to go see the movie The Help also.

Was going to our churches Flea Market this morning but with the traffic coming in off my block I do think I'll make it, until I go the other way.

Got on the scale this morning and I lost 3 lbs those were the pound I gained when on vacation.

SANDRA-I hope you get relieve soon.

VICKIE-Summer time we tend to eat more than the rest of the year. Just keep in mind small portions,especially when you can't exercise.

Have to go, have a great day

pam920
08-13-2011, 11:06 AM
morning.

Maryann, I very seldom go to the movies. Not familiar with The Help. Hope you make it to the flea market. woohoo on losing those 3 lbs.

I was going to vacuum my car, but it's already 82 and humid. Might have to wait for a cooler morning. I do need to go grocery shopping. Out of fruit and veggies. Also need to research some filling but healthy snacks before I go.

Vickie, hang in there kiddo. It's no fun to have to constantly watch every bite we put in our mouths. I'm still down 2 lbs from Monday, so I hope to see a good number next week.

have a great weekend.

Tejas
08-13-2011, 11:21 AM
RAIN :woohoo:

jojo23
08-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Morning Gang

It is 20 past 5 pm and I've been really lazy today. Dolly, our Labrador wanted to go out at 4am and Mark got up with her. I sort of dozed. He decided to go to the downstairs loo before coming back to bed. As he came out and made his way back to the stairs, he fell over the aforementioned dog! Now we have oak floorboards but a cellar (basement) under them.It sounded like a piano had turned over, I thought he'd had another coronary and collapsed. I shot downstairs, he was OK and so was the dog, which is more than can be said about me. It was gone 5 before my hair had stopped standing on end.

I don't know if anyone else on here knits socks and suffers from the 2nd sock syndrome? It is very common, but if someone doesn't know, it is when the first sock knits quickly with no problems but everything goes wrong with the second and it takes twice as long. I think I've cracked it... I now have 2 sets od double pointed needles and knit the both socks at the same time.

nancy237
08-13-2011, 06:16 PM
jojo...I know that scared you to death..glad he & the dog were okay
Does the double knitter knit 2 at one time. That is amazing. My mom was really good at crochet (sp?) She did lots of different things and I wish I had more things she made.

My son left last night to head to college. His dad is moving him in and I am going next week to help him get his apartment set up . My cousin came to spend the night last night and we talked and played with IPhoto on our macs til 5am. Then we got up at 1pm and went to get breakfast.

I am ready to do some serious "clean sweeping" . Thats what I call it because its time to go through every room & attic & garage & sheds and evaluate my stuff. I think I am going to designate the garage for everything I am not keeping. Then I can decide between give away, sell ect. That system helps me be more agressive with clean out because I have one more chance to change my mind if I decide its too sentimental.

Sorta excited about cleaning out. Maryann, you've done a lot of cleaning out haven't you ???

Funny story about my cousin, she is cleaning out my Aunt's bedrooms at her house (she is starting to hoard in the back bedrooms ) Because my Aunt sits in the den she opened the bedroom windows & threw trash bags out one window & charity bags out the other. Then she drove to that side of the house & loaded them up. I know that sounds terrible but my Aunt has dementia & the hoarding was a safety/heath hazard so I thought it was a brillant way to get the job done without any stress to my Aunt.. Now my Aunt loves that the rooms are neat & usable.

Tejas
08-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Nancy, since I don't have children, I'm sure I will be relying on my nieces in my (really) old age. I love the story about how your cousin handled your aunt's stuff. I can see that coming!!

It sounds like a good plan for your own sorting. I still have that to do, with 4 boxes of books unpacked after 1 year and 8 months here. I should simply take them to recycling without looking at them, but I won't.

DH has lost 16 pounds since the end of May. I don't like men very much. :lol:

beach bum
08-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi Ladies:)

Went to the Churches Flea Market after all. I bought 3 cook book,Cooking for Two Today,Better Homes Meals in Minutes & Betty Crocker Working Woman's Cookbook, along with the book I go a huge Emerald Broche. My friend Mary in the afternoon went to see The Help,couldn't believe how the rich woman in the town of Jackson treated their help. I cried at the torment,but it turned out fine after the book was published.After the movie we wanted to go to 99 to eat but we never got in.This morning it took me 25 minute ride to church where it just takes me5 minutes. I had to go into the other direction,as the cars wouldn't let me into the lane. Got to church on time but my friends & I decided it was to dangerous with car & people walking all over to have brunch as Friendly's that's on the main drag,all heading down to the beach and watch the stupid race.

PAM-Did get to the Flea Market where I bought 3 cooking books [cooking for two today, BH&G Meals in Minutes & BC Working Woman's cookbook] Can't wait to go over the recipes and try them. Thanks for the congrats, I like to make that Christmas Challenge. Just noticed your reply about grandsons. I hope he will grow out of it,or they will have problems with him,as hes turning 8 in November.

JOJO-Oh my Goodness,TG he or the dog wasn't hurt.I can image how frighten you were. Do you have a bannister on the side of the stairs. Went I go downstairs to do my laundry I hold on to the bannister with my right hand and carry the basket between my left arm and boobs.

Sorry I'm not a sock knitter. I tried using 4 point needles and my socks come out horrible and when I use a circular needle they are a little better but not perfect. I buy my socks instead.

NANCY-Yes I started with the bedroom[getting rid of Leo clothes & belonging I didn't want] than I moved down to the basement where we stored lots of junk we never got rid of so I let my DD decide she wanted before I told the junk man to come. You never stop getting rid of stuff,especially for me I'm not a hoarder like on TV but I did collect thing I might use and after I decide not to use the item instead of throwing it away I put in the basement .

RHONDA- I have to agree with you men some how lose faster than woman. Never had fat uncles,cousins, or nephews,but on the woman side of my family are either over weight or obese.

Have a great afternoon,going to watch the golf tournament game.

nancy237
08-14-2011, 11:09 PM
I always manage to post late Sunday night , right before new pages LOL.
I made tons of progress today getting things to the garage to get rid of and arranging the garage to make lots of room to work ..
Grandson has first day of school tomorrow and I get to pick him up after school. I think I will take him to get some school clothes after I pick him up.
Today was a good day...

jojo23
08-15-2011, 02:36 AM
The New Pages Are Ready