Weight Loss Support - Is there at least one "bad" food...

MelloFatto
08-07-2011, 10:24 PM
You've yet to give up?

For me it's cereal, honey grahams to be exact.

DietVet
08-07-2011, 10:31 PM
What makes that food "bad" in your eyes?

I figure that as long as I'm eating within my calorie range and eating lots and lots of healthy veggies and protein, there is space in my diet for treat foods. But I don't label those "bad"--they're just foods I eat in restricted amounts.

MelloFatto
08-07-2011, 10:35 PM
That's why I put quotes around it.

Magalo
08-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Dark chocolate ! :)
I can't resist haha.

rubidoux
08-07-2011, 10:39 PM
No! BUT, I have promised myself that from the time I turn 80 on I'm living on chocolate cake, coffee, and cigarettes. :D

JoJoJo2
08-07-2011, 10:45 PM
I never call them "bad" foods, but there are certain foods that I have eliminated totally from my eating. They are the simple carbs - sugar, white flour, white potatoes - those foods. The problem is that they are trigger foods for me.

That's OK though, I am a diabetic, and I'm doing quite well, thank you.

I wholewheartedly approve of Rubidoux's ambition to live on chocolate cake, coffee, and cigarettes when she turns 80. I did give up cigarettes and chocolate cake, but I certainly drink, and enjoy, lots of coffee. And I am 85. :D

shishkeberry
08-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Rubidoux, switch tiramisu for chocolate cake and that sounds pretty awesome to me.

MelloFatto
08-07-2011, 10:51 PM
I never call them "bad" foods, but there are certain foods that I have eliminated totally from my eating. They are the simple carbs - sugar, white flour, white potatoes - those foods. The problem is that they are trigger foods for me.

That's OK though, I am a diabetic, and I'm doing quite well, thank you.

I wholewheartedly approve of Rubidoux's ambition to live on chocolate cake, coffee, and cigarettes when she turns 80. I did give up cigarettes and chocolate cake, but I certainly drink, and enjoy, lots of coffee. And I am 85. :D

I hope I'm blessed enough to see 85! :D

beerab
08-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Carbs lol.

Lovely
08-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Huh. I guess I never thought about giving up any food in particular. :chin:

I just eat them less often.

I'm the sort of person that if told NOT to do something... well I will embarrassingly enough go out and do that very thing :o So if I told myself "NO DESSERTS. NEVER!" it'd probably trigger some big 'last hurrah binge'.

If I say "I really want a piece of cheese cake ; ;", though. I can say "Okay. Let's plan a day for it, then, so that the Points will balance out."

chickadee32
08-07-2011, 11:03 PM
I still treat myself almost daily to a venti iced skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks. In and of itself it's not bad (it's just espresso + , skim milk + sugar free vanilla syrup, for 110 calories), but I add 2 sweet & low to it because I love my coffee drinks sweet and I'm not willing to add the extra calories of real sugar. I really have to kick that artificial sweetener habit one of these days though, and just learn to enjoy it unsweetened.

KatieC87
08-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Chocolate! But, really, I haven't given up any foods for my weight loss. I still eat tacos, pizza, etc. from time to time. I just eat them in smaller portions. I wouldn't last very long if I told myself I absolutely could not eat something. Saying that just makes me want it more. ;)

kelly315
08-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Dark chocolate- in moderation. But then again, I eat fast food every so often, but try to pick the better choices and always stay in my calorie goal.

yoyoma
08-08-2011, 07:59 AM
I eat two squares of chili-infused dark chocolate every day. The pure chocolate in 1/2 square has flavinoids that are supposed to be healthy. But the other 1 1/2 squares plus the added sugar are pure treat.

fight2winthis
08-08-2011, 08:43 AM
If I deemed a particular food off limits, I'd be in trouble. I'm more likely to stay OP with the word 'moderation'. That said: no, I don't eat potato chips :D. E-V-E-R. Binge trigger number 1:(

Magalo
08-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Chocolate is popular! :P

Horo
08-08-2011, 05:33 PM
The only stuff I completely eliminated with no exceptions is food that's not vegan. I still indulge in everything I love.. for instance, I eat a slice of heavenly vegan cocoa mousse cake from the Chicago Diner and also a serving of vegetarian chow fun from my favorite Chinese place at least once a month.

jens10
08-08-2011, 05:53 PM
I could never totally get rid of bad food, but I have been sucessfully eating healthier through moderation. For example, I might microwave 4 chicken nuggets to have with a salad instead of eating 20. (My eating habits were really awful before)

QuilterInVA
08-08-2011, 06:00 PM
You need to quit thinking of food as good or bad. Food is food. Our choices are what determines the quality of the food we eat. No food is bad in moderation. There are some foods I have chosen not to bring into my house but not because they are bad; my choices when they are available are to eat too much.

April Snow
08-08-2011, 06:02 PM
for now, I have stopped eating "bad" food because I am not looking at the way I eat right now as the way I will eat forever. My plan goes through 4 different phases, and I'm in phase 2 and doing well staying strictly on plan. Actually, once I got completely off grains, starches and sugars, staying off of them has been far easier than I would have ever imagined!

But it's not forever - once I lose the weight and move on to the third stage of this plan (Dukan Diet), I can slowly start adding things back, including a dessert here and there. And that is really good enough for me - I know I could not accept that I was giving them up FOREVER, but I am feeling motivated enough to give them up FOR NOW (esp. because I am losing weight twice as fast as I ever did before!). I may not be having my favorites at the moment, but I will be able to have them have them next year. And when I'm at that point, I still won't be having them all the time, but I can have them in a week. I think that will be enough to keep me on track.

Crazy Newfie Jen
08-08-2011, 06:41 PM
haha i gave up my poutine, and surprisingly I don't miss it as much as i thought. other than that, i decided there were no bad foods, as everything is ok in moderation.

KittyKat1465
08-08-2011, 07:57 PM
I still eat empanadas at my favorite cuban restaurant every Sunday, but I don't feel bad about it because I stay within my calorie range.

canadianwoman
08-08-2011, 10:32 PM
First to give up for me was fast food.

Then sodas...diet and regular.(only water and tea now)

Then potato chips and all snacky foods like that.

Then pork and everything made with pork.(My digestive system and pork don't agree)

The anything made with corn (digestive issues)

Then peanut butter (i could eat a whole jar in one sitting)

Then I ditched the salt.

Now I am giving up ice cream. (not forever...just for a while) :)

Ashley829
08-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Nothing is off limits to me, all just in moderation!!

A few weeks ago I had a straight up bacon cheeseburger with french fries and sweet tea, the first time I had a cheeseburger at all in almost a year and I honestly enjoyed every single bite and had no regret at all.

But I can splurge here and there and give in to those lasting cravings because I generally eat healthy.

shishkeberry
08-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Come to think of it, I should really give up potato chips. They're a trigger for me. Everytime I have them in the house I'm the only one that eats any because I eat them so fast. The whole time I'm shoving them in my mouth I'm telling myself that it's a bad idea but I never listen.

angelam
08-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I try to approach things with the idea of moderation, but there are some things that I know I cannot eat in moderation so they are my "bad" foods. The number one for me is Butter Toffee Fiddle Faddle, followed closely by Reese's Pieces. If I bought a box of Fiddle Faddle I would eat the whole thing, and it's not worth it. Luckily, I don't love chocolate too much so that's been easy-ish, and I've been eating the pretzel m&ms to satisfy that craving.

butterflymama
08-09-2011, 11:52 AM
I refuse to give up eating fried potatoes completely. Even though I really do consider them to be super unhealthy foods for many reasons. But I love fried potato stuff, French fries, chips...mmmm I always say how much easier it was to quite smoking cigarettes then to quite eating French fries. I smoked for 14 years ans was able to quite cold turkey and have been smoke free for 10 years but I have not been able to go longer then 2-3 weeks without eating a fry. I do however try to limit my fried potato consumption to splurge meals.

My 3 year old son and I were at an amusement park a few weeks ago and there was a stand with fresh potato chips and he wanted to get some to share and he said "mama out of all the foods that are not good for your body chips are my favourite" I answered him truthfully "me too" then we bought a small bag and shared them and savoured them. He understands as I am trying to teach myself that it is ok to eat "foods that are not good for our bodies" occasionally as long as the majority of our diet is healthy whole nutritional foods. (we enjoyed turkey with low fat havartti on multi grain seedy bread and lots of raw fruits and veggies for our lunch)

Oh just wanted to add however that I can not have chips in the house as I can not just eat a serving and leave the rest.

banananutmuffin
08-09-2011, 11:58 AM
I don't think I could ever give up "bad" foods either... I like to eat way too much. But I do try to avoid breaded, deep fried foods. I inhale them like a freakin' hoover when I'm around them, so it's way to easy for me to overindulge.

RJ 1980
08-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I calorie and count and don't really have any 'off limit' foods, but I do have foods that I try not to eat b/c they aren't worth the calories imo. Sweets I try to aviod, and things like pizza that I have to 'guess' the calorie amounts on- it makes me anxious b/c I don't know the true number, plus I wind up eating more than just a slice. I'd rather spend those cals on something else!

But I still drink diet pepsi and eat some not so good for you things like a lot of white rice and processed foods.