Ideal Protein Diet - Exercise? How much do you do on Phase 1?

JoLoMN
08-06-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm curious how much exercise you do while on Phase 1 and continue to lose?

I hope you'll share if you are on the basic plan for Phase 1, or if you are eating extra packets of protein.

My coach discourages any jogging or using any weights. I've read posts by many of you who are toning while losing and not experiencing any sagging skin. Are you happy with your progress on the weight loss side of things?

I'm walking 4 miles a day (15-min miles) three or four times a week and not adding any additional protien packets. I'm curious what more I can safely do without jeapardizing losing.

Jo

gettinmygrooveback
08-06-2011, 03:27 PM
For me...adding that additional packet is necessary. 4 miles, 4X week.....you might want to consider adding. Since there is no glucose in your system for your body to burn for energy, it will turn to protein to get what it needs. If you do not give it adequate protein, it will get it from your muscles......this is NOT what you want to happen.I would suggest you have some extra protein only on the days you walk and have it prior to the walk.....make it available for body's use. See how your body reacts....

I walk, practice yoga and resistance band work for toning. I was an avid exerciser prior to IP. I am almost at the halfway point and am seeing that toning is CRUCIAL for me. I have been a steady loser until this past week. I only lost 1/2 pound but lost quite a few inches exactly where it needed to disappear from......I attribute this to my focus on toning.

Nads
08-06-2011, 03:40 PM
I also have a question about exercise. More specifically, is anyone doing Callanetics and IP at the same time? If so, what have your results been like?

wheekers
08-06-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm curious how much exercise you do while on Phase 1 and continue to lose?

I hope you'll share if you are on the basic plan for Phase 1, or if you are eating extra packets of protein.

My coach discourages any jogging or using any weights. I've read posts by many of you who are toning while losing and not experiencing any sagging skin. Are you happy with your progress on the weight loss side of things?

I'm walking 4 miles a day (15-min miles) three or four times a week and not adding any additional protien packets. I'm curious what more I can safely do without jeapardizing losing.

Jo

I walk for 45 min-hr about 5 days a week. I don't eat any extra packets. I wonder if i should be? I lose about 2 lbs a week

jennydoodle
08-06-2011, 04:42 PM
I have been exercising since day 1 on IP. I was consistantly working out prior to IP as well. I workout 5-6x per week, pretty intensly and I add an extra packet on any day I exercise, sometimes 2 if I find myself very hungry. I am very happy with my losses and feel that exercise has contributed to them, not hindered them. I also feel that the exercise has helped me lose inches and keep me toned and tight. I don't have any sagging skin that some people are saying they have.

My typical day looks like this:

9:00- IP packet
12:30- 6-8 oz. protein, 2 cups veggies, salad & 1 t. olive oil
4:00- IP Restricted
5:30-6:30- Work out
6:30- IP RTD shake
8:30- IP packet, 2 cups veggies, salad & 1 t. olive oil

This has been working very well for me. I would highly recommend having an extra packet on days you exercise. You could try it for a week and see how it goes.

Mizzthingaling
08-06-2011, 06:14 PM
I also have a question about exercise. More specifically, is anyone doing Callanetics and IP at the same time? If so, what have your results been like?

I transferred to Callanetics during my previous time on IP and continued to lose every week. Before I was doing Zumba, Turbo Fire and walking. My loss stalled so I added an extra packet and started Walk Away the Pounds and Callanetics and it started back.

I plan to restart Monday.

SVermonter
08-06-2011, 09:29 PM
I have been wondering about exercise as well. I did not exercise before but I am in my 5th week now and I would like to start using my treadmill. Will this hurt my weight loss?

Nads
08-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Thank you Mizzthingaling. I own several Walk Away the Pounds workout DVDs. Do you do Callanetics one day and then Walk Away the Pounds the following day? I did Callanetics (10 in 10) consistently a few years ago, and go great results. Please let me know what your workout schedule looks like. Thank you!

Carrielee
08-06-2011, 10:56 PM
so excercising can slow the weight loss?? I am starting tomorrow, and I am an avid excerciser.. my coach told me to maybe keep it to about a 30 min walk a day.. i would like to include some muscle work too.. liek crunches weights?? is this a bad idea?? I have a 70lbs to lose and IM 26, she said I should worry about loose skin because of my age??

Mizzthingaling
08-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Yes Nads. M,W,F I did Callanetics and T and TH I did the one mile walk away the pound. Saturday was optional. You have less weight to lose than me so I would suggest you take one week and do a few workouts and see how your body responds.

Pauley
08-07-2011, 11:19 AM
I am in week 6 and was surprised I had enough energy to do a strenuous hike yesterday. I think my body has adjusted to no carbs. What surprised me was how difficult it was to carry my 30 lb child up a steep hike. I naively assumed since I just lost (almost) 30 lbs it would be EASY to carry the 30 lb child. Not so much.

JoLoMN
08-07-2011, 07:20 PM
For me...adding that additional packet is necessary. 4 miles, 4X week.....you might want to consider adding. Since there is no glucose in your system for your body to burn for energy, it will turn to protein to get what it needs. If you do not give it adequate protein, it will get it from your muscles......this is NOT what you want to happen.I would suggest you have some extra protein only on the days you walk and have it prior to the walk.....make it available for body's use. See how your body reacts....

I walk, practice yoga and resistance band work for toning. I was an avid exerciser prior to IP. I am almost at the halfway point and am seeing that toning is CRUCIAL for me. I have been a steady loser until this past week. I only lost 1/2 pound but lost quite a few inches exactly where it needed to disappear from......I attribute this to my focus on toning.

Thanks for the advice. I was feeling a bit light-headed after my 4 mile walk today, so I did have a RTD shake. I feel much better now and will feel free to add a shake in the future as long as my WIs continue to move down each week.

Jo

JoLoMN
08-07-2011, 07:23 PM
I have been exercising since day 1 on IP. I was consistantly working out prior to IP as well. I workout 5-6x per week, pretty intensly and I add an extra packet on any day I exercise, sometimes 2 if I find myself very hungry. I am very happy with my losses and feel that exercise has contributed to them, not hindered them. I also feel that the exercise has helped me lose inches and keep me toned and tight. I don't have any sagging skin that some people are saying they have.

My typical day looks like this:

9:00- IP packet
12:30- 6-8 oz. protein, 2 cups veggies, salad & 1 t. olive oil
4:00- IP Restricted
5:30-6:30- Work out
6:30- IP RTD shake
8:30- IP packet, 2 cups veggies, salad & 1 t. olive oil

This has been working very well for me. I would highly recommend having an extra packet on days you exercise. You could try it for a week and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice Jenny! I was not much of an exerciser before IP, so I feel really good about all the walking I've been doing. I will add a RTD shake when I feel like I need one. Hope I have similar to success to you. You are rocking it! :hug:

Aria05
11-04-2014, 03:21 AM
Hi everyone,
I am also planning on getting back to the gym this week. My week 4 on phase 1 starts after my WI tomorrow. I plan on gng twice this week to lift (will not go heavy). Then 3x next week and den go back to my 4-5 day split. If my WI look funky, i will get back to doing nothing which is what iam doing currently (and hating it). Well dats the plan for now. Please advise. Thanks!!

lisa32989
11-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Exercise is great for toning but remember weight loss is done in the kitchen. It is about what you consume. So, in this phase, be more concerned about sticking to the plan like glue, rather than adding workouts.

P1 is way too low calorie for a strenuous workout.
Exercise that focuses on stretching and toning is a good idea after week 3 or 4 (make sure your body is comfortable in ketosis first). Walking at a slower pace (not power walking) can also be effective for P1.

More strenuous workouts can cause inflammation (that muscle soreness). Any inflammation is water weight so it shows up on the scale temporarily but it is NOT fat.

We all need to understand the difference between what the scale says and fat gain/loss. The scale doesn't only measure fat!

And if your gentler exercises still encourage muscle strength, know that a lb of muscle takes up much less room than a lb of fat. That is why people say muscle weighs more than fat. Per volume, it does. Which simply means that if we have more muscle than we used to, we should be more toned. BTW, muscle toning has no effect on skin. Your skin will either be resilient in springing back or it will hang. This has to do with a variety of factors, including age, amount of weight loss, and genetics.

For most of us, we can build strength and tone without a rigorous workout. Yoga works on both strength and flexibility. I do a TV show on PBS called Classical Stretch. If your PBS station doesn't have it, it can also be found at Essentrics.com. This program is also a combination of strength and flexibilty.

Anyone who cannot give up more strenuous workouts for P1 needs to consider a different plan, either the alternative IP plan for diabetics or perhaps P2 or a higher fat ketogenic diet.

Know, however that IP is designed for quick weight loss. Let is do it's job and add the strenuous stuff after goal.

Briael
11-04-2014, 01:13 PM
I walk six days a week, but I track the heartrate zones I fall into very carefully so I don't go too far on burning calories.

I also strength train twice a week at the gym with hubby, and then normally have Sunday as a rest and recovery day before WI on Tuesday morning.

Provided you don't go completely bonkers with over-exercising it's doable. If you can try and estimate what your caloric burn is you can make informed choices as to which packets suit which exercise needs.

I have never felt the need to add an extra packet, but on days when I walk a little faster I will choose a chocolate drink over a pineapple & banana for the carb return.

Hope that makes sense.

I do agree with Lisa though - make sure you are firmly into ketosis before start anything beyond stretching and housework. Then track track track what exercise you do, and what happens with your body on a daily basis.

If you are perspiring heavily make sure to add extra water back in. Dehydration will slow weight loss very quickly. :)

Aria05
11-04-2014, 01:32 PM
I walk six days a week, but I track the heartrate zones I fall into very carefully so I don't go too far on burning calories.

I also strength train twice a week at the gym with hubby, and then normally have Sunday as a rest and recovery day before WI on Tuesday morning.

Provided you don't go completely bonkers with over-exercising it's doable. If you can try and estimate what your caloric burn is you can make informed choices as to which packets suit which exercise needs.

I have never felt the need to add an extra packet, but on days when I walk a little faster I will choose a chocolate drink over a pineapple & banana for the carb return.

Hope that makes sense.

I do agree with Lisa though - make sure you are firmly into ketosis before start anything beyond stretching and housework. Then track track track what exercise you do, and what happens with your body on a daily basis.

If you are perspiring heavily make sure to add extra water back in. Dehydration will slow weight loss very quickly. :)
How can I track my Ketosis?My strips always come negative:( But I do get that weird metallic taste in my mouth.
And can one not be in ketosis even when iam OP? I just assumed that because Iam sticking to my protocol, I will be burning fat.
Thank you SO much Amanda and Lisa!! I guess i just miss working out and need someone to tell me to be patient or be smart!!!(Iam lacking a lil in both at this point:)))
Thank you!!

Avalon1957
11-04-2014, 01:55 PM
I have a question for the experts / wise ones ...

I typically exercise in the morning before eating.

I take a 1 hour (2.5 mile) walk in my neighborhood up and down a few hills. (I weigh 298 pounds, so I am about 100 pounds overweight.) If I get tired or winded going up the few hills, I slow down or stop, so I pace myself well. Most of my track is either downhill or level.

Is that bad to do that on an empty stomach? Will I burn muscle? Or will the 80g protein I ate the previous day and evening still be floating around in my system at 7am the following morning.

Thanks for any advice / info!

65X65
11-04-2014, 04:36 PM

I take a 1 hour (2.5 mile) walk in my neighborhood up and down a few hills. (I weight 298 pounds, so I am about 100 pounds overweight.) If I get tired or winded going up the few hills, I slow down or stop, so I pace myself well. Most of my track is either downhill or level.

Is that bad to do that on an empty stomach? Will I burn muscle? Or will the 80g protein I ate the previous day and evening still be floating around in my system at 7am the following morning.

Hi Avalon!!!

Just logged in after a hectic and very long absence and was happy to see a familiar name!

Exercise: As long as you do not over do it you should be fine. Listen to your body. Just as some of us react differently to ketosis at the beginning...exercise and your response is also very individual. I have exercised first thing in the morning since the early part of my IP adventure. Key is moderation..!!! ... and you do that by checking your heart rate, which is related to AGE...not weight. Really, that is how to gauge your exertion level....and of course listening to your body.

Sounds like you know when to slow down. Paying attention to your heart rate by stopping and checking it during your exercise will keep you from burning precious muscle. There are charts available to tell you what your heart rate should be during light exercise...I linked to some articles about a year ago...(if I have time to dig it up I'll post something on that.) During IP occassionaly I added a HB egg if I felt ravenous during the day...but it was not needed regularly for someone my size and age. Some do add an extra packet...That was not something I did...nor was it suggested for me. For sure it would have slowed me down...and I felt great most of the time.

Since being on maintenance, I have kicked up my routine a lot...
Actually, I still go to my ladies circuit training gym 5-6 days a week for about an hour and also alternate cardio 2-3X a week on the recumb bike ...but over the summer added 2-3 days of more serious weight training and using the cybex equipment at my husbands gym...plus added additional cardio on a rowing machine those 2-3 days too. Your body DOES get used to what you are doing and you need to shake it up.

Hope you are well...! Nice to see your post...and BTW...I'm still loving coffee with Saigon cinnamon!!
kathie

alshims
11-04-2014, 04:36 PM
This support group is awesome to hear other experiences on their IP journey. For me personally I have kept my exercise routine during P1, I do monitor how I am feeling and will add on a RTD or hard boiled egg. I need to workout for my state of mind, I just have chosen to tone down the intensity- for example I have taken spin classes out of my exercise routine.

I have been doing a circuit training weight class three days a week, if an exercise is too intense I will back off. I walk everyday- anywhere from 3 miles walk to a 8 mile hike. I have lost over 25 lbs since starting 8/31, I did phase off a bit before I went on vacation and was off plan (but made mindful choices) during my vacation. I am back OP and lovin it!

Avalon1957
11-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Hi Avalon!!!

Just logged in after a hectic and very long absence and was happy to see a familiar name!

Exercise: As long as you do not over do it you should be fine. Listen to your body. Just as some of us react differently to ketosis at the beginning...exercise and your response is also very individual. I have exercised first thing in the morning since the early part of my IP adventure. Key is moderation..!!! ... and you do that by checking your heart rate, which is related to AGE...not weight. Really, that is how to gauge your exertion level....and of course listening to your body.

Sounds like you know when to slow down. Paying attention to your heart rate by stopping and checking it during your exercise will keep you from burning precious muscle. There are charts available to tell you what your heart rate should be during light exercise...I linked to some articles about a year ago...(if I have time to dig it up I'll post something on that.) During IP occassionaly I added a HB egg if I felt ravenous during the day...but it was not needed regularly for someone my size and age. Some do add an extra packet...That was not something I did...nor was it suggested for me. For sure it would have slowed me down...and I felt great most of the time.

Since being on maintenance, I have kicked up my routine a lot...
Actually, I still go to my ladies circuit training gym 5-6 days a week for about an hour and also alternate cardio 2-3X a week on the recumb bike ...but over the summer added 2-3 days of more serious weight training and using the cybex equipment at my husbands gym...plus added additional cardio on a rowing machine those 2-3 days too. Your body DOES get used to what you are doing and you need to shake it up.

Hope you are well...! Nice to see your post...and BTW...I'm still loving coffee with Saigon cinnamon!!
kathie

Loved your detailed response, Kathie. Thank you so much! Your advice was great and sounds spot on.

Great to see you maintained your losses ... I didn't do as well, but back on track now.

Your workout sounds fantastic!! And I still drink coffee with Saigon Cinnamon too (so I am glad you are enjoying that treat).

Briael
11-05-2014, 12:46 AM
How can I track my Ketosis?My strips always come negative:( But I do get that weird metallic taste in my mouth.
And can one not be in ketosis even when iam OP? I just assumed that because Iam sticking to my protocol, I will be burning fat.
Thank you SO much Amanda and Lisa!! I guess i just miss working out and need someone to tell me to be patient or be smart!!!(Iam lacking a lil in both at this point:)))
Thank you!!

Ketostrips are not particularly accurate, as ketones in the urine tend to be lower than what is circulating in your blood. Even then, your level of ketosis is going to fluctuate wildly throughout the day. Google Peter Attia and his nutritional ketosis experiment where he took his blood ketone levels hourly and you will see what I mean.

If you are OP then you are in ketosis unless you are going completely bonkers with over-exercising.

I take a 1 hour (2.5 mile) walk in my neighborhood up and down a few hills. (I weigh 298 pounds, so I am about 100 pounds overweight.) If I get tired or winded going up the few hills, I slow down or stop, so I pace myself well. Most of my track is either downhill or level.

I walk between 1.5 and 4 miles each morning on an empty stomach, and my heartrate is averaging 130-135, putting me firmly into high Training Zone 3.

Your body produces ketones while you sleep, so you should still have enough to manage your walk. I have never yet had weakness or dizziness during or immediately after a walk and I stomp along at 16-17 minute miles. Of course, make sure you have breakfast (and water) available for immediately you get in.

As always .. listen to your body. It will generally give you signs that it doesn't have enough fuel for the level of activity you're doing. :)

Avalon1957
11-05-2014, 04:46 AM
Thanks Amanda.
Whoo-hoo, 16 minute miles, that's a good clip!

Jenny38
11-05-2014, 07:37 AM
Avalon so great to hear from you! Good for you for adding in the exercise and like Kathie said you sound like your doing great listening to your body.

I would recommend for sure having a shake before you exercise and then another one after to help with the recovery. I was working out when I started IP at 282 and doing weights, spin etc so not that far from where you are.

Do you find the downhill hard on your knees? Watch out for that.

Keep up the great work!

I just finished my first half marathon last weekend and could not have done it without IP

Avalon1957
11-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Whoo-hoo Jenny! Way to go ... 125 pounds. That deserves a medal!!

No problem with my knees (so far at least) -- but I will watch that. Thanks for your input about protein before and after ... I have protein after right now.

Great job on the marathon. WOW!

You look fantastic in your photo too.

crystalian
11-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Avalon so great to hear from you! Good for you for adding in the exercise and like Kathie said you sound like your doing great listening to your body.

I would recommend for sure having a shake before you exercise and then another one after to help with the recovery. I was working out when I started IP at 282 and doing weights, spin etc so not that far from where you are.

Do you find the downhill hard on your knees? Watch out for that.

Keep up the great work!

I just finished my first half marathon last weekend and could not have done it without IP
Wow congrats!!! Such an inspiration. I have a long way to go but i cant wait to be at the 125lb loss.

Jenny38
11-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Thanks Avalon and Crystalian. You both are doing great and I am certain with both your determination and committment you ladies will reach your goal. Keep up the awesome work and the exercise. I look forward to reading about how your doing.

Briael
11-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Sounds like you know when to slow down. Paying attention to your heart rate by stopping and checking it during your exercise will keep you from burning precious muscle. There are charts available to tell you what your heart rate should be during light exercise...I linked to some articles about a year ago...(if I have time to dig it up I'll post something on that.)

The one I work from is WikiHow How to Calculate Your Target Heart Rate (http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Your-Target-Heart-Rate). I've found it pretty accurate with it's age related resting heart rate maximum, too. :)

Kristin135
11-06-2014, 10:16 PM
I have exercised while on IP. I have been on the program since May 20th. I am down almost 60 pounds. I started out with walking for 40-60 minutes 3-5 times per week. I have progressed to heavy exercise with weights and fitness classes. I have added an extra packet from the beginning. I want the exercise habit to be firmly in place before maintenance.

65X65
11-07-2014, 07:56 AM
The one I work from is WikiHow How to Calculate Your Target Heart Rate (http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Your-Target-Heart-Rate). I've found it pretty accurate with it's age related resting heart rate maximum, too. :)

Thanks Briael.... I logged in again this AM with the nagging thought I'd said I would do something here....

We just listed our home (after 32 years in the same one) and it's been a crazy three months with nothing else on our minds but going through 3 floors of almost half of our lives!!..these last few weeks take take the prize as we painted and pulled wall paper down!

Now we just sit and wait...(and keep the place neat and clean).

http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/healthy_living_tools_content.aspx?id=7

This is also a pretty good one and has several other useful calculators.

It is important to hit the right "zone"...and there is a good grid on the exercise calculator here for that. It IS so important not push to a heart rate that is more than moderate while on IP. Many gym equipment built in calculators actually show the fat burning/weight loss zone is BELOW the more intense cardio levels. It's all related!

Best of luck all you new exercisers. It is good to see and read that the benefit of adding exercise to your life early rather than later is being identified as key during this process.
:woops::bike2::running::wl::exercise::ebike::barbe ll::tread:

TeagsC
11-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Great thread - thanks for the advice! I am looking at getting back into my BodyPump DVD's and weights that I have at home, but am thinking I will wait until week 3 to start - do you think that's ok or should I start now? I am on week 1, day 5.

Thanks!

scorbett1103
11-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Great thread - thanks for the advice! I am looking at getting back into my BodyPump DVD's and weights that I have at home, but am thinking I will wait until week 3 to start - do you think that's ok or should I start now? I am on week 1, day 5.

Thanks!

Definitely wait until your body has settled into ketosis first. You don't want to completely shock your system :) And by week 3, you are pretty in tune with your body and will be able to tell very quickly whether or not you will be able to sustain the exercise on P1.

locopollo
11-07-2014, 02:01 PM
I've been trying to remember how long I waited last go round to add exercise (which I've alwa done regularly). I think it was three weeks. I recall enjoying it, easing back in and adding an extra packet.

TeagsC
11-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Thanks girls! :)

Briael
11-07-2014, 06:02 PM
http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/healthy_living_tools_content.aspx?id=7

This is also a pretty good one and has several other useful calculators.

It is important to hit the right "zone"...and there is a good grid on the exercise calculator here for that. It IS so important not push to a heart rate that is more than moderate while on IP. Many gym equipment built in calculators actually show the fat burning/weight loss zone is BELOW the more intense cardio levels. It's all related!

Thank you for this one, I hadn't seen it on my googling results. :)

JohnP
11-07-2014, 07:31 PM

You've already gotten good information but I wanted to tell you that for sure, 100%, you're totally fine to exercise in a fasted state. The only thing you will want to avoid is very intense exercise fasted and then not eat for a long time after.

The 80g of protein you ate yesterday is completely digested but it doesn't make any difference. Your body can run almost entirely off of fat and the CNS that needs glucose gets it from liver glycogen.

Avalon1957
11-08-2014, 04:26 PM
You've already gotten good information but I wanted to tell you that for sure, 100%, you're totally fine to exercise in a fasted state. The only thing you will want to avoid is very intense exercise fasted and then not eat for a long time after.

The 80g of protein you ate yesterday is completely digested but it doesn't make any difference. Your body can run almost entirely off of fat and the CNS that needs glucose gets it from liver glycogen.

This is great info! Thanks!! Puts my mind at ease.

(By the way "CNS" in the response post above means central nervous system ... I had to Google it)

Aria05
11-10-2014, 01:42 AM
After reading all your posts, I am now motivated to start adding my gym routine slowly back!! Week 4 ends this Tuesday. I want to start jogging 2-3 miles 1-2 a week and/or lift (full body) twice a week. ((I used to run 3-4 miles 3 times a week and lift heavy 3-4 days before i started IP)) I will drink my Jay Rob whey shake post workout and take BCAAs pre-workout. Try this for a week and hope i get awesome results like u guys..
Please advise.

Avalon1957
11-10-2014, 05:45 AM
Walking every day has really helped me increase my weight loss rate.

lisa32989
11-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Exercise is KEY to maximizing your losses (IMHO)

It really isn't. It's really diet for losses & exercise for toning.
Exercise can actually cause temporary inflammation (the muscle soreness) which is reflected in water weight on the scale.

Is exercise a hugely healthy part of lifestyle change? Absolutely.
Does it improve mood and help regulate blood sugar? Yes!
Does good muscle tone help with sagginess? Oftentimes, yes, especially after some time.

But diet (food intake) is responsible for most of our weight loss journey, especially the speed at which we drop lbs.

I've read research that showed a sum loss for exercise being helpful in weight loss. It actually increases appetite and may cause some to eat more.
So, keep exercise light during the weight loss phase and ramp up when a few hundred more calories are added to the day in maintenance.

Avalon1957
11-10-2014, 09:03 AM
I guess the bottom line is everyone and every body is different.

Aria05
11-10-2014, 02:17 PM
I have lost weight with just exercising (~1300cal diet) before and I am losing weight with just IP now. So i kinda agree with you both. Homo Sapiens are weird like that :)
I want to start adding gym routine this week and see how it goes coz i will be traveling soon and i need my strength back. SO this will be a warm up for my travel and an experiment to see how my body does with both ketosis and gym routine.
Thank you Avalon and Lisa!! I appreciate it so much when you guys take out time to advise or and caution newbies like us. It really helps us to not go crazy and stay cautious. You guys are awesome!!
Happy OP day to y'all!!

Briael
11-10-2014, 03:47 PM
I guess the bottom line is everyone and every body is different. And everyone needs to figure out what works for them!

Maybe some lose great with little to no exercise.

I know for me, I was struggling to drop pounds and my losses seemed slow as molasses. It was very frustrating. There were some weeks where I would lose 1 pound in a week. AGGGHHH!!!

Then I started walking in my hilly neighborhood for an hour every morning and now I am losing 3/4 of a pound nearly every day -- and I've lost nearly 2" from my waistline in the past 18 days.

The truth is I don't know if walking for an hour in the morning will work for anyone else -- it might not. All I can say is it's working like a charm for me. I think it's kicking up my metabolism and burn rate first thing in the AM -- and I burn better all day as a result.

But certainly people need to experiment and find their own keys to success -- I am sure they are different for everyone!

Peace and Love!

I wonder how much of the helpfulness exercise gives towards weight loss is directly related to the amount of weight we NEED to lose, and the individual basal metabolic rate.

I know that my weight loss can be fairly consistent with no exercise at all, just the diet; but I have so much energy that I feel antsy just sitting around. I've been active all my life (barring the last 5 ish years) so exercise is something that my body knows, and enjoys.

I have noticed that diet alone loses the weight, but it doesn't lose the inches. Exercise is changing my shape.

So, there are benefits to both sides - exercise or not exercise.

Exercise for me releases endorphins, doesn't make me hungrier - or, at least, not in a manner that I will act on now that hunger is just a sensation and not a driving need to shovel food into my mouth! - and it makes me happy because my day is kickstarted doing something I enjoy.

Taye168
11-10-2014, 03:59 PM
I guess the bottom line is everyone and every body is different. And everyone needs to figure out what works for them!

Peace and Love!

I did Walk Away the Pounds videos most days on P1 ----- light exercise helps my mood!

Lisa--I also get hungrier when I do heavy exercise and it seems to derail my progress when I am on P1.

Everyone is different ;)

magical
11-10-2014, 04:34 PM

What do you think about research on carb/protein ratio of 3-4:1 for optimum muscle recovery? Eg.

http://www.coachtroy.com/public/456.cfm

Since our last convo on this (if you recall on another IP thread), I've been taking 20-30g protein after my hard/long sessions. But then I've been reading about the need for carbs too to preserve muscles.

scorbett1103
11-10-2014, 06:32 PM
What do you think about research on carb/protein ratio of 3-4:1 for optimum muscle recovery? Eg.

http://www.coachtroy.com/public/456.cfm

Since our last convo on this (if you recall on another IP thread), I've been taking 20-30g protein after my hard/long sessions. But then I've been reading about the need for carbs too to preserve muscles.

I don't have the research on hand - but if you look up "ketogenic diet"
and bodybuilding, you will find that it is COMPLETELY possible to build and maintain muscle mass without carbs. Keto diets are not uncommon in strength circuits.

Briael
11-10-2014, 08:51 PM
I don't have the research on hand - but if you look up "ketogenic diet"
and bodybuilding, you will find that it is COMPLETELY possible to build and maintain muscle mass without carbs. Keto diets are not uncommon in strength circuits.

And also in the running community, keto runners are well known. They replenish during the run with a saline solution, and refill with protein and minimal carbs post-run.

Looks like keto has almost made it to mainstream, in sporting terms. :)

rsach312
11-12-2014, 09:15 AM
I also like to exercise everyday and want to keep my strength training going. So my plan is to eat extra packets the days I am going to work out. Let's see where it takes me.

Aria05
11-12-2014, 10:50 PM
day 1 of running.P1 Week5. tried to jog instead of running. Post run- was a little hungry, but cardio always does dat to me. ate an extra quest double choco bar:) (i did not have to but i did :))
Q- Did u guys use the extra packet? Q-Anyone who did half a packet? Just wondering. Q-What do u guys do Avalon and Scorbett? I would also appreciate if everyone else shares How their usual P1+exercise day looks like?
I did fasted cardio today and hope this will burn fat. Then i will lift tomo (moderate for now) and repeat 2 more times this week. Fingers crossed that this works and i still see result. I feel more energetic when i workout and i am also prepping for an upcoming active vacation.
My day today:
Fasted cardio:2m jog:1m walk (experiment of the week. adding exercise back slowly and see how my WI turns out!!)
B-Jay Robb vanilla spinach shake ~25g proteins,0fat,0 carbs, stevia
S- IP choco RTD
L-veggies omelet
D-chicken stirfry and veggies + half egg
S2- quest bar
grazed on cucumber, lettuce and mushrooms.
herbal teas
Thank you!

scorbett1103
11-12-2014, 10:55 PM
Aria - I always added an extra packet (but always an unrestricted item) anytime I exercised. I'm about to start a running program again (run/jog every other day, yoga on off days) and since I'll be getting out early in the morning, I will have a Syntrax nectar or EAS Carb AdvantEDGE shake before I exercise, and then have my regular IP breakfast afterward. Replacing those calories is important!

Aria05
11-13-2014, 12:28 AM
Aria - I always added an extra packet (but always an unrestricted item) anytime I exercised. I'm about to start a running program again (run/jog every other day, yoga on off days) and since I'll be getting out early in the morning, I will have a Syntrax nectar or EAS Carb AdvantEDGE shake before I exercise, and then have my regular IP breakfast afterward. Replacing those calories is important!
Thanks Scorbett!! Just want to clarify if u eat 1 restricted item everyday? (even on days u don't workout dat is)
Thanks!

VictorWakter
11-13-2014, 01:21 AM
The only workout that I do is using my exercise bike for atleast 20 minutes. Using this equipment is like having a cardio exercise with less risk of injury. It also helps lower high blood pressure, regulates blood sugar and may prevent heart attacks.

scorbett1103
11-13-2014, 01:49 AM
Thanks Scorbett!! Just want to clarify if u eat 1 restricted item everyday? (even on days u don't workout dat is)
Thanks!

Yes, the IP program calls for 1 restricted per day, and so I have 1 restricted per day. Exercise has no bearing on whether I have a restricted item or not :)

Aria05
11-13-2014, 02:09 AM
Yes, the IP program calls for 1 restricted per day, and so I have 1 restricted per day. Exercise has no bearing on whether I have a restricted item or not :)
Thanks Scorbett!! I did not know that restricted was mandatory!! My coach told me that it was optional and actually discouraged me to use it. grrr. well Iam going to eat my yummy quest bars from now on! Thank you!! You are awesome!!:)

scorbett1103
11-13-2014, 02:15 AM
Thanks Scorbett!! I did not know that restricted was mandatory!! My coach told me that it was optional and actually discouraged me to use it. grrr. well Iam going to eat my yummy quest bars from now on! Thank you!! You are awesome!!:)

I will never understand coaches who try to "tweak" the system. The program is DESIGNED with 1 restricted per day. For some reason, there are coaches who believe that denying you those extra 8-9 carbs per day will somehow increase your losses. It's bunk.

Duaba
11-13-2014, 11:56 AM
I'm in the middle of my 4th week on IP and I've been practicing Ashtanga yoga the whole time. I take it a little easier, about 80% effort, of what I was doing pre-IP. I've lost about 17 pounds now, and if anything my yoga practice is really progressing so much more now that it has in years.

The first week I was starving in general, and didn't seem related to my exercise at all. These days I don't notice any hunger. I don't eat an extra IP packet, but I do take a little liberty with some extra fat (1/4 avocado or sesame oil) on those workout days.

I know it's not 100% OP, but I've seen great progress and it's working better for me than anything else I've tried.

Aria05
11-13-2014, 02:48 PM
You are so right Scorbett!!My "coach" is a glorified vendor !! period. And I consider you all here as my coaches!!:)
Thanks Duaba and VW. This is my 5th week and I can relate to ur not wanting an extra packet.I did not feel the need myself yesterday, I just wanted to try the double choco questbar:) I think i will be happy to eat an extra egg with dinner instead. I love my proteins though:) SO i have been adding extra egg here n there every now n then from day 1. I think that wont knock me out of Ketosis.
Today I plan on Lifting (80%) for maybe 45 minutes full body instead of a body part. SO, i will carry that extra shake today. WI next will help me decide how to tweak my protein intake and workout i guess. Fingers crossed!!

Aria05
11-13-2014, 09:32 PM
Evening post workout update :
It felt great hitting them weights!! The legs still got it. But boy the biceps,chest and shoulders felt the 4 week absence!! It had been a while since i did bi curls with 10lbs:( But oh well like you guys say, strength will come back. For now I just want to lose 20 lbs of FAT!!
Oh another thing. I was not super crazy hungry today. But then i don't get hungry on days when i lift (cardio days are a different animal!!)I just plan on eating 1/2 quest bar as my extra today unless i cant stop:) and add 1/2 egg to my dinner:)
Thanks again for all your input and support!! Feeling bada@$$ after my workout!!:)

65X65
11-13-2014, 09:44 PM

With all respect to the majority...

I finished IP in the summer of 2013. The restricted items at that time ALL contained gluten. I did not use any restricted items needing to be GF. As a result for the entire 8 months I was on program my intake was only non restricted. And I lost 65+ lbs at age 64. I was 100% OP, did not experience any stalls and I exercised daily from about the 10-12 week mark. Did not add an extra packet and most of the time was not hungry, faint or tired that I would relate to IP. Occasionally ( once every 10 days or so...) the calorie deficit (probably from NOT having any restricted items which are higher) would catch up with me.....and I'd have a "ravenous" day. On those days I added an extra snack of a HB egg. At my age and height...this made sense. Regardless of the low calories on this diet...age and stature will impact your caloric burn and needs both on the diet AND especially as you phase off. Being short is not fair...being older and short REALLY stinks!!! :( Those who deal with either or both...I suggest to make your peace with it. ASAP.....and know you can not skirt the exercise either.

If you avoid exercise that creates another sink hole you will have to deal with as time goes passes!

...By facing/accepting all of these individual challenges (and more as we are all different) and making it a priority to get to an easy peace with the challenges while on IP (and forever,) you may find as I have; you can be the exception in keeping the weight off.:D

Best of luck to all as you figure it out. At my age there was no time to see if ...or how I could be an exception. For me...the diet worked...really well. But the head game which suggests real success is w-a-y down the road. That was not prepackaged as an IP product . Restricted or non. We all have to do that part for ourselves. Am not suggesting it is necessary to avoid the restricted...but they ABSOLUTELY are not mandatory. They are simply "allowed".

kathie

Aria05
11-13-2014, 10:33 PM
Thanks for you insight Kathie!!I appreciate it. And 65 lbs loss is awesome!!!Like i said this is an experiment in progress:) I will listen to my body and keep an eye on the fat%, metabolic rate,lean body mass and inches lost. My restricted "treats" will be quest bars (1whole or half) and some of them according to IP rules are not even restricted. SO, I will see how it goes.Thank you again.

SkyeAvery
11-13-2014, 11:19 PM
During my 1st phase 1 stint I added moderate flow yoga (45-60 minutes) after 2 weeks.
During my recent 1.5 month reboot I continued my previous activity level (Monday-Friday 45 minutes of muscle exhaustion strength work - low weight/high reps & the weekends I would do 45-60 minutes of yoga). During my reboot I added an additional unrestricted packet which (IMHO) did not adversely affect my losses at all. I just couldn't cut out my daily workout & didn't want to quit my well established habit of working out early in the AM. Plus, I have to feed my love/hate relationship with Tracy Anderson, that tiny little exercise dictator:)

Aria05
11-13-2014, 11:41 PM
During my 1st phase 1 stint I added moderate flow yoga (45-60 minutes) after 2 weeks.
During my recent 1.5 month reboot I continued my previous activity level (Monday-Friday 45 minutes of muscle exhaustion strength work - low weight/high reps & the weekends I would do 45-60 minutes of yoga). During my reboot I added an additional unrestricted packet which (IMHO) did not adversely affect my losses at all. I just couldn't cut out my daily workout & didn't want to quit my well established habit of working out early in the AM. Plus, I have to feed my love/hate relationship with Tracy Anderson, that tiny little exercise dictator:)
Ah Yes, high reps and low weights might be something that I will look into as well coz Heavy weight and low reps were kinda hard today!! But then i did go back after 4 weeks .(I usually do 12 rep, 3 sets and do supersets or circuit) I will figure this out eventually. Funny enough I am not feeling hungry today!!Thanks for sharing your routineSkyeAvery.

Aria05
11-14-2014, 02:42 AM
I wonder how much of the helpfulness exercise gives towards weight loss is directly related to the amount of weight we NEED to lose, and the individual basal metabolic rate.

I know that my weight loss can be fairly consistent with no exercise at all, just the diet; but I have so much energy that I feel antsy just sitting around. I've been active all my life (barring the last 5 ish years) so exercise is something that my body knows, and enjoys.

I have noticed that diet alone loses the weight, but it doesn't lose the inches. Exercise is changing my shape.

Exercise for me releases endorphins, doesn't make me hungrier - or, at least, not in a manner that I will act on now that hunger is just a sensation and not a driving need to shovel food into my mouth! - and it makes me happy because my day is kickstarted doing something I enjoy.
I missed this post!! But I cud not agree more!! I feel so tired when i don't exercise. And funny part is I was less hungry today after my "lift day" at the gym. Had to remind myself to eat extra proteins. :) I think i need to buy a heart rate monitor though!! I want to be sure I stay in the "fat burning zone" like u guys suggested.
Thanks again!!

65X65
11-14-2014, 08:01 AM

Agree esp with the individual BMR...age and size/stature impact of this as well to a very high degree. That is evident in the published charts. Your height is a critical factor in determining your BMI. Age doesn't impact that however like it impacts the BMR.

And I found inches melted once I got into regular exercise. At that point my weight loss was hovering about 2+ lbs a week. When it slowed to 1+ pounds...I was STILL rapidly changing sizes...like 2-3 weeks. (hello thrift stores).

Like many, I always struggled with staying true to long term exercise..(probably because no diet actually gave me the weight loss I needed) and easily admitted even until recently ..."I do not love exercise...I just do it...." Everyone does not get that endorphin rush. That makes sticking with it more difficult...esp if the diet is not working.

Well coming up on the 2 year mark with exercise and can actually say I like what it's done for me. And actually am starting to enjoy it. It is a process...and am glad I stuck with it and very proud and happy it is part of my routine now. And although I hate changing horses...can say it is not as much of a chore.....stopping short of "loving it"...but do like it these days .....At the point I am now...I have two gym memberships. A ladies gym (6 days a week) which is a blast...and now also go to a 24-7 gym 2-3 times a week on top of that with my hubby who retired over the summer.

It is a process. Don't give up on yourself...Don't be too hard on yourself...but don't be too easy either. You're the one driving the bus.

If you want to get there...you have to keep driving.If you don't get there...it will always be the driver's fault. Trust no one else to deliver you to the place you want to be. And I suggest you don't hand over the keys once you arrive!

rsach312
11-14-2014, 09:16 AM
I plan to get back to strength training in two weeks time. Three weeks is longest gap I will have in last 20 years of my going to GYM. I gained weight this year because of the injury and was unable to do the cardio.

Aria05
11-14-2014, 01:46 PM
oops i did a booboo!! I just realized that i ate dat extra 1/2 quest bar!! So basically i ate 3 "IP" meals, Turkey dinner and that extra quest!! eeeks!! I was even tracking. Brain fog day i guess!! No wonder I was not hungry!!waaaa:( Iam hoping those xtra xtra 10g of proteins did not mess things up for me!!!
On a happier not, I woke up to a sore body!! Happy sore:) Taking a rest day today and will just walk a little. Then lift tomo again and run/yoga on Sunday. This will give me 2 days before my WI on tuesday to rest.