Diabetes Support - *** August Chat ***

View Full Version : *** August Chat ***

fatmad
08-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Hey everyone: Have been too busy to check in for a bit, but will take time to read posts this evening or tomorrow. In the mean time, welcome to the newbies!
Butterfly, you were saying atkins sound scary and it can be! Take things a little at a time. Going into induction suddenly is HARD, but for a real carb addict, if you can get through the first few days, its really helpful. I couldn't do it though, and what worked for me was starting with lowering carbs to about 100g/day, and making sure they were "good" and low glycemic carbs. Then I went to 60/day, and finally to induction. I can now handle about 60-80 g/day without gaining weight, but still have to be careful of sugars, I do ongoing weight loss of about 40-60g/day right now as a routine. So you don't have to "give up" everthing, but you do eat very differently. I don't find it so hard, because high carb meals. (like pasta) leave me feeling horrible. I do save my cheats for things I feel are worth it, like a bit of dessert, but thats me.

Otherwise gang, weight is still at 172, and I hope to get under 170 for labour day, but today, will be hard. I am going to an Annaprushon (rice tasting ceremony) for my honorary grandbaby, it is a Hindu ceremony celebrating first solids. I imagine it would be equivalent to an infant baptism for Christians. There will be a wonderful indian buffet for supper, and I will avoid the rice and naan bread, but will eat lots and well. So I won't even look at the scale for a few days after. Ruth, you are right, just avoid the scale after dim sum, you know there will be waterweight afterward, so just take a few days for it to go away before you check again.
ttfn see you soon friends

fatmad
08-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Hey everyone: Have been too busy to check in for a bit, but will take time to read posts this evening or tomorrow. In the mean time, welcome to the newbies!
Butterfly, you were saying atkins sound scary and it can be! Take things a little at a time. Going into induction suddenly is HARD, but for a real carb addict, if you can get through the first few days, its really helpful. I couldn't do it though, and what worked for me was starting with lowering carbs to about 100g/day, and making sure they were "good" and low glycemic carbs. Then I went to 60/day, and finally to induction. I can now handle about 60-80 g/day without gaining weight, but still have to be careful of sugars, I do ongoing weight loss of about 40-60g/day right now as a routine. So you don't have to "give up" everthing, but you do eat very differently. I don't find it so hard, because high carb meals. (like pasta) leave me feeling horrible. I do save my cheats for things I feel are worth it, like a bit of dessert, but thats me.

Otherwise gang, weight is still at 172, and I hope to get under 170 for labour day, but today, will be hard. I am going to an Annaprushon (rice tasting ceremony) for my honorary grandbaby, it is a Hindu ceremony celebrating first solids. I imagine it would be equivalent to an infant baptism for Christians. There will be a wonderful indian buffet for supper, and I will avoid the rice and naan bread, but will eat lots and well. So I won't even look at the scale for a few days after. Ruth, you are right, just avoid the scale after dim sum, you know there will be waterweight afterward, so just take a few days for it to go away before you check again.
ttfn see you soon friends

Riemontana
08-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Hello all!

fbs at 91 this morning. I did my new aerobic dvd and I really liked it. I was thinking "this is too easy" but I was really sweating by the end. It is Gilad's beginning weight loss and toning. Pretty good. I had my favorite greek yogurt for breakfast. My goal is to eat on plan and to work out at least 5 days out of seven for this week. So far so good.

Off to work. Have a great day!

Rie

Butterfly50
08-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi Everyone. I Have High Tryglercides so I dont like the amount of fat Atkins consume or is it jest me. I wouldnt mind starting off with 100grams of carbs a day what would the calorie range be to something like that.. I am waiting for the free kit from atkins to come in and let me see what the whole picture is I may give it a try If I have problems I can jest go to my own plan. STILL CONFUSED.

TamTam
08-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Butterfly I do about 15-20 carbs per meal and snacks. When you get your meeting with the dietician they will help you a lot. I keep track by doing a journal. I also have on the bottom of the page as follows:
Starch (9):
Meat (8):
Vegetable (4):
Fat (5):
For every serving I eat in the above group I put an x next to that food group and the numbers represents how many servings I can have in a day. For me it's an easy way of keeping count of my servings in each group. Hope this is helpful.

Riemontana
08-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Bonnie,

I have put the occasional menu into a calorie/nutrient counter and it generally comes up at about 1200 -1400. But I don't count and I really don't worry about healthy fat. Upon diagnosis, my cholesteral was really bad but it came down dramatically with my bs control and a better diet. My dr told me that he was initially worrried about some of his patients who did atkins but they have good cholesteral and blood pressure numbers. His theory is that it is really about bs control and weight loss. You will get help from the dietary folks but you will still need to experiment and find what works for you. I can't do it tonight, but if you pm me with your email address, I would be willing to send you a copy of one of my food diaries. I am sure that others would help you as well.

Essentially, my plate is this: 1/2 plate green non-starchy veggies, 1/4 carb, 1/4 lean protein.

I had a fruited greek yogurt for breakfast. (130 cals, 19 carbs)

Lunch: green salad with a little oil and vinegar, 2/3 c leftover chicken and veggie stir fry, 4 strawberries

Tonight was a rather large meal: salad with romain lettuce, alfalfa sprouts and cucumbers tossed with my homemade ranch, 1 1/2 inch slice of polenta with garlic, one baked chicken thigh without skin. Decaf coffee with a tiny bit of cream for desert.

My evening snack will be a light and fit yogurt at about 930pm.

I try to drink 60 oz of water each day but I don't always get that done. I have a coffee weakness and I drink it all day. So, I try to drink 8 oz of water about every 60-90 minutes at work. If I am really hungry, I use a go to snack like a hard boiled egg, salad, cucumbers. note that I eat 3 - 4 eggs per week and my cholesteral has gone down to very acceptable levels.

I am comming up to my 1st aniversary of my diagnosis next month. The dr who diagnosed it was really mean and I cried for almost 24 hours straight. I was a teary mess for days. I remember being so overwhelmed and confused - feeling like "life as I knew it" was over. Well, yes, I was right. There is no more McDonalds on the way home anymore. My DrPepper habit is gone. I excercise almost every day. But, I am healthier, looking younger, and feeling better.

For everything that I gave up, I have gotten other things. Believe it or not, I now feel confident most of the time in my ability to manage my eating and cope with different situations. I just returned from a week's vacation. It included some lovely indulgences but mostly I kept my bs well under control.

I hope that this helps. I am so glad that you found us. I believe that you will find this is easier than you think. Take care.

Rie

Justwant2Bhealthy
08-01-2011, 11:50 PM
:congrat: RIE ~ you have done so well; 74 lbs is astounding, and only since March of this year. Your sample menu sounds quite interesting too and will be helpful to others, I'm sure. Oh, FOOEY, to that doctor -- you are a winner, girl!!!

BUTTERFLY ~ I don't count my carbs in numbers like some here do; I just cut them way back. I cut the sugar way down; and use lots of no-sugar subs. As I was PRE-diabetic, I was able to get my sugars down with Metformin over about 3 years. I am now off it and doing fine; but as you see I have lost over 85 lbs and am still losing lots of inches (I don't focus on the lbs pers say that much anymore, but go by sizes like I did with great success in the past; it works for me). Mind you, weight-loss is still desired at a healthy rate and for health reasons. My blood pressure and cholesterol have also come way down during that time.

BF ~ most days is an egg or an omelette (today was a mushroom omelette with chz) and 1 slice bran toast & coffee & one fruit (ie banana, strawberries, peaches, etc). You may want to sub low-sugar fruit only.

LUNCH ~ varies widely; homemade pita pizza; or soup &/or sandwich; or leftover meat & salad; or other leftover dinner; or an omelette (on a day I don't have eggs for breakfast).

DINNER ~ is most often some kind of lean meat (chicken breast w/o skin & veggies/salad; lean steak & same; or fish & same; or turkey & same; or lean pork chop & same; once a week 1 cup pasta with meatballs/sauce; etc). Tonight I had a chicken burger (no bun) with stir-fry veggies and a romaine salad (with baby cukes, onions, tomato, and shredded carrot).

I do have a splurge meal of choice once a week: homemade hamburger & salad; OR baked chicken nuggets & salad; OR thin crust pizza & salad (or pita pizza); OR baked onions rings & salad, etc. I only have the more starchy carbs 1-3 times a week now; subbing corn & lower carb veggies instead (ie new potatoes 1/wk or beans 1/wk or brown rice 1/wk or pasta 1 w/k).

I have a couple of cups of coffee a day; 1 tea; rest is water with the occasional lemon/lime sugar=free drink; low sugar hot chocolate now & then.

SNACKS: s/f popsicles (25 cals); s/f pudding (60 cals); cheeze; PB & wg soda crackers (2-4); boiled eggs; lean meat; soup; yogurt ice cream about once a week (1/2 cup only); baked fruit or fresh fruit; and s/f yogurt most often; veggies or salad, etc.

NOTE: I do have to eat some higher carbs or my b/s levels dip too low now; that is why you'll see some bread, pasta, rice, etc in my plan. The lowest I can go is about 3 a day; if I have one starch carb for BF & Lunch, I can go with less or none for dinner some days. I do have a small evening snack and that curbs the night dips. BTW, I am still tweaking & experimenting like most here ... ;)

Butterfly50
08-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Justwant2Bhealthy Riemontana Thanks for your advice I do think that atkins isnt the way to go . My Doctor said to lower my carbs and I have been doing that so far I have lost a few pounds I have also cut out sugar no more tea unless I use a splenda( Witch is maybe 1 a day) From what I am used to eating I have basically given up alot. I am going to be going grocery shopping tonight and I need some ideas of what to buy I know I will be buying lots of veggies and lean meats. I jest dont know what are good numbers for me. So if I pick up cheese or cream cheese , Cottage Cheese, Yogurt what is the best to look at???? Fat free, Low Fat or Regular. I want this to be a lifestyle change and my whole family is going to be going me.

Riemontana
08-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Good morning all!

fbs at 90 this morning. It was nicely controlled all day yesterday. I had whole grain toast with a slight smear of peanut butter. I got my workout in for the 2nd day this week. It really seems to help me stay on track in other ways.

JustwannaBhealthy. Thanks for the compliment. So nice. But actually, I started this the first of september. I was hoping to make 100 lbs in a year but I realize now that is not reasonable.

Bonnie, it sounds like your plan is comming together. I don't eat many fat free products because they tend to have more sugar. When I started, I looked at food labels. "what is the largest serving size for the least carbs and calories that I can have?". That is how I select yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. Buy lots of greens. If you like ranch, I recommend the old fashioned packets and a shaker bottle. I use half the mayo (made with olive oil and 1% milk) It spreads easily because it is thin. Tastes better than any of the bottled stuff. I also like italian. Buy garlic, onions, peppers and other spices as well as olive oil for cooking. Buy some quick veggies like green beans. I like to buy broccoli and cauliflower florets in frozen packages because they are easy and cheap. Remember to only buy things like meats and starches in limited quantities. Good luck, you can do it!

Rie

gothik butterfly
08-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Hello everyone!

glad to see such good info going about the thread the past week or so. This is helping me as well.

Tomorrow is diabetes education class #2 and my weigh in. I haven't weight in 4 weeks... anxious to be able to lower my "current weight" number under my picture. Maybe I'll even break down and get a fancy dancy ticker.

Setting up my goals for the coming month: (subject to change after I see the endocrinologist next week for the first time)

1. make sure i test nighttime. i tend to forget
2. start keeping a food journal (looking to see if there's an app for my blackberry so I can carry it along wherever I am)
3. exercise time! find SOMEthing to do 3x a week minimum to start. be it dancing in my panties (haha!), throwing in a work out dvd, or going for a walk...

On Sunday I had a high reading around 10 am. it was 127. I hadn't eaten since Midnight and then I went straight to bed. naughty naughty. I also tried a glass of wine. I sipped it over a couple hours... and drank only 1/4 of it. but I am pretty sure thats why I was high. I've been so long without socializing liquor now that it really doesn't bother me to go without it anyway.

I'll update tomorrow after I've been to class!

Kari

Butterfly50
08-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Riemontana Thanks the Dressing sounds good tell me how to make it Please.

gothik butterfly I am new on this too so I have been reading tons of info . Hope to see you back soon.

pattygirl63
08-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Another quick flyby. I see lots of newbies here. :welcome2: to all of you. I've kind of become a lurker around here these days. Started writing a post this morning and something came up and had to close out and not send it.

Our kids have moved in, but not settled. This is going to be quite an adjustment for us. Lord I hope I can stand a year of this. lol I've been sick with a cold that dear 16 mo. old grandson gave me. The good thing about being sick is that I really don't feel like eating. I just eat what I have to eat to function. My FBG has come back down to normal range for me although I still want it to go lower and the best part is that the weight is slowly coming down. Now I'm just trying to keep it going down and at the moment that seems fairly easy since I can't seem to eat much at a time. I'm also dealing with some nausea because of drainage which makes it really easy not to eat.

I am enjoying reading y'alls posts especially how everyone eats. Rie you have done super great. I like the plate division way of eating. That was one of the ideas my doc gave me. Reading y'alls menu ideas gives me ideas too. In fact, I think it was Rie who mentioned chicken thighs. I cooked 2 chicken thighs and made me a chicken salad for dinner, but could only eat half. I'm hoping that these small meals at a time is shrinking my stomach so I can keep it up when I get well. I think I need to do and would like to continue eating smaller meals. I really hope to have lost a substantial amount of weight when I go back to the doctor in October.

Butterfly50 This is overwhelming at first. It took me a long time to settle how I wanted to eat since I know it is forever and not a diet. My doctor told me that any diet would work as long as it is a plan you can live with. You will find your way and there are lots of good people here to help. We've all been where you are so please don't feel like you are alone. Good luck on your journey.

Riemontana
08-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Bonnie, in the dressing isle in the supermarket you will find Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix. It is a dry mix that comes in packets. The recipe is on the back but I modify it. I use half the mayo (I prefer olive oil mayo) and twice the milk - use 1% milk. I have a shaker bottle that I got on amazon. It is made by tupperware and is called a gravy shaker. The ranch thickens nicely in the fridge. It comes in at a fraction of the calories, fat and carbs of other dressing. Good luck

Butterfly50
08-02-2011, 09:33 PM
pattygirl63 Thanks.
I can say I went to the store and now my freezer is stocked with Chicken And Ground Turkey and a few other lean meats. Plus they are over full with Veggies this is the first time I ever Filled the deep freezer with meat and the two other freezers with veggies I jest hope they last for a month. Trying to feed 5 people on 400$ a month is kinda hard But somehow I make it threw the month. So the family had subs when we got home and I dug out the george and cooked me a piece of chicken breast and make me a salad. I used the reg Salad mix and then I bought baby spinach and something and mixed some of that with my salad.Then I found a sugar free that only has one carb dressing I jest drizzled a tiny bit one it and it was wonderfull. I am so full.

The nutritionist called me today and I go in on the 12 for the class it is from 9 to 4 they provide lunch she said they will teach me everything I want to know. She said my A1c was 7.3 on my last Dr Apt. I will be going back sat for another one . But so far all is going good.....

Butterfly50
08-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Riemontana Thanks for the receipe my packet dont have the actual directions for that it is all ways the Dip mix. But I will check other when I go back to the store..

Riemontana
08-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Bonnie, I have used the dip mix in a pinch. just add the mayo and milk. about 1/2 cup mayo, mix, and 1 - 1 2/3 cup milk. Sometimes I even add more milk as I go on, but I like it thin.

Butterfly50
08-03-2011, 11:45 AM
I did a 2 mines walk away the pounds DVD several days now and today I can say I did it and didnt feel like I was out of breath.. Felt pretty good. Now I wish this heat would go away so I can walk in the evening I could really kick butt..

Wannabehealthy
08-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Justwant2Bhealthy Riemontana Thanks for your advice I do think that atkins isnt the way to go . My Doctor said to lower my carbs and I have been doing that so far I have lost a few pounds I have also cut out sugar no more tea unless I use a splenda( Witch is maybe 1 a day) From what I am used to eating I have basically given up alot. I am going to be going grocery shopping tonight and I need some ideas of what to buy I know I will be buying lots of veggies and lean meats. I jest dont know what are good numbers for me. So if I pick up cheese or cream cheese , Cottage Cheese, Yogurt what is the best to look at???? Fat free, Low Fat or Regular. I want this to be a lifestyle change and my whole family is going to be going me.

Butterfly, I use Dannon Lite and Fit Yogurt. I read the back of all the cartons, and this is the one that I saw with the lowest carb and sugar counts. I don't eat a lot of yogurt, but I do try to eat it a few times a week.

Carol

Wannabehealthy
08-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Bonnie, in the dressing isle in the supermarket you will find Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix. It is a dry mix that comes in packets. The recipe is on the back but I modify it. I use half the mayo (I prefer olive oil mayo) and twice the milk - use 1% milk. I have a shaker bottle that I got on amazon. It is made by tupperware and is called a gravy shaker. The ranch thickens nicely in the fridge. It comes in at a fraction of the calories, fat and carbs of other dressing. Good luck

That is a really good idea with the dressing. I'll have to try that!

Carol

Butterfly50
08-03-2011, 05:26 PM
slmn11That is what I usually buy . I buy the bigger container and only get out 1/2 cups at a time. I love it for a snack I even used it like a dip one day but it was good. I usually do the vanilla or blueberry.

Lindy87
08-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Hey everyone. Pretty much a lurker in this thread recently. It is great to see a bunch of new names joining. Lost 10 lbs since May and my fbs is down about 25 points in the morning. Still considered high (135-145) but that is much better than the 160-170 it used to be. Glad to see everyone is doing well. I will have to post more and stop being such lurker!

TamTam
08-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Hello Lindy. I am new to the diabetes world, was diagnosed in June and since then down 10 pounds and my fbs runs more or less 117-125 but would like it to be under 100.

Hubby and I had a date lunch at Red Lobster. It's about an hour's drive from our home. We really enjoyed getting away. I had the boiled crab, used some of the garlic butter, but not much, it also came with shrimp (grilled), rice pilaf which was more like wild rice, salad and one biscuit. No dessert. I will just eat light for supper. Hope you all doing well.

fatmad
08-03-2011, 10:54 PM
[QUOTE=Floriduh;3954987]

Had my first challenge with house guests since diagnosis and dietary changes over the weekend. Oh boy, it was a challenge cooking for everyone else, then eating my separate preparation. My favorite menu item was lasagna. Made a huge pan for everyone, and my own bowl of lasagna sans pasta. It was great!

Florida, this is great. I have a suggestion tho. Try making lasagna without pasta. and serve everyone the same thing. You can use sliced eggplant or zucchini, (slice long ways) and salt and dry between paper towels or clean tea towels. then do not cook but build the lasagna the usual way.
There are lots of good adaptations to lower carbs over all, and our guests will enjoy it all just as much.
good luck, and congrats.

fatmad
08-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Hello gang: THings have been going well, but Dh bought a store made thin crust pizza last night, and it smelled to good not to have some. But today I did better and have stuck to plan. I was really pleased, made a nice beef and ginger stir fry that turned out deliciously.
There is an article in last month's reader's digest. (July) it was written by a woman who lost most of her money in the madoff scheme. She has written books about eating disorders, and likened her relationship with money to her troubled relationships with food. I was in a waiting room and only got to read a bit of what she had to say, but the article called to me, and I find myself thinking about it. To paraphrase
"I wasn't enjoying what I was eating, but rather thinking and planning for what I would eat next." I have heard this said other ways and other times, but for some reason, that resounded. SHe compared her work to get around this to buddhist philosophy, so maybe that was why it grabbed me.
Anyone get reader's digest? I don't know if the article was only in the canadian edition or not, but I would like the author's name, to read more of what she has to say.

Anyhow, have a good night everyone.

Wannabehealthy
08-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Anyone get reader's digest? I don't know if the article was only in the canadian edition or not, but I would like the author's name, to read more of what she has to say.

Anyhow, have a good night everyone.

Her name is Janeen Roth. I found it online. Here is a link to what I found but I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link. Scroll down to where it says "Inside the July 2011 Issue". It's the last item listed. She has lots of books on Amazon.

http://www.readersdigest.ca/magazine/july

Carol

Riemontana
08-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Good Morning All!

fbs at 76 this morning so I ate a Wonderslim snack bar before I went on my walk. I walked 2.3 miles at a fast pace. They cut the hay on the farm and so the first half mile and the last half mile of my walk was with the sweet, green smell of alfalfa. Nice:) I came back in and breafasted on a piece of low carb, whole grain bread and 1 oz of cream cheese. I also had some cucumber slices. I have been noticing a taste for veggies in the morning so I simply indulge!

Fatmad, thanks for the tip about the author and Carol, thanks for finding it.

Cajun, good job on the weight loss.

Lindy, you too! Sounds like your blood sugar is getting more controlled. It sometimes takes time. Lurk all you want if it helps you....

Bonnie, hows it goin?

Well, I am off. Everyone have good day!

Rie

gothik butterfly
08-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone!

Diabetes education class #2 went well yesterday. I'm down another 8 lbs for a total of 15 in 7 weeks. I'm very proud of myself and still motivated.

Hoping to pop back in tonight some time. I am making a grocery list for major shopping again next week. Thought I'd try some new recipes.

Have a great day!
Kari

Wannabehealthy
08-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi everyone!

Diabetes education class #2 went well yesterday. I'm down another 8 lbs for a total of 15 in 7 weeks. I'm very proud of myself and still motivated.

Hoping to pop back in tonight some time. I am making a grocery list for major shopping again next week. Thought I'd try some new recipes.

Have a great day!
Kari

You are really doing good! You deserve to be proud!:carrot:

Carol

Butterfly50
08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Hi Everyone Doing good here. Been doing good I have to tweek stuff still be making slow changes as I go. I although I must start adding some of the better starches in my diet. My Calorie range the last few days have been about a thousand But I am not hungry I make sure I make myself to eat though.
I went on Livestrong and Put in all my foods and they came up at almost 1000 So I need to add something to it I def need to do a bit better for breakfast. But all in all I am doing fine.

Riemontana
08-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Hi Bonnie!

Good job. 1000 is not a lot of calories but you are figuring it out. What do you mean by "better carbs"?

Rie

Butterfly50
08-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Right now I am eating veggies and protein and I have not included any of the better carbs like Brown rice Wheat pasta and stuff like that. I am jest eating alot of protein and veggies.

Butterfly50
08-05-2011, 10:42 AM
I jest fixed me a muffin and it was great. I didnt think I would like it but this one will stay with me for a while.

3Tbsp Ground Flax
1Egg
1 ounce cream cheese
1/2 tsp of baking powder
a bit of splenda
couple shakes of cinnamon

Beat all ingredients togeather microwave 2 min in a sprayed ramekin. ( I used a small fire king Bowl)

I dont remember where I got this from it was one of the message boards.

Floriduh
08-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi Bonnie! Thanks for the great recipe. Loving the ground flax seed. I buy whole flax seed, store in an airtight container, and grind it in a coffee grinder. Have been adding it to my tuna salad--very yummy!

Riemontana
08-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Good morning all!

Fbs at 88 this morning. I got in a good aerobic workout.

Later.

Rie

fatmad
08-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Butterfly, if you are low carbing, you should carefully increase you fats, especially (of course) healthy fats. Low fat and high carb is ok for some, and low carb with fat is ok (atkins, south beach) but high protein low carb, low fat is not healthy for anyone. I am sure you are eating well and more rounded out than it sounded when you said you are just having protein and vegetables, but I want to be sure we are support healthy weight loss.

Personally, stuck to plan yesterday, and have done well today too. Also went to see my baby friend, the family just moved house into a friends' place where they are house sitting for a year. THe house was left in a disaster area, so I went and cleaned 3 bathrooms. There is a 4th bathroom in the basement, but I left that for now. Liz says she didn't realize what a big house it was until there were so few people there. Feels lonely with just a couple of parents and a wee baby. So I will plan to keep visiting frequently. (twist my arm, so hard to go a play with the baby for a couple of hours. )
Also went to yoga today, planning exercise for the rest of the weekend too.

have a good weekend friends.

Ruthxxx
08-06-2011, 08:53 AM
With company around, I forgot to open and August thread so here we are!

I survived my week with company pretty well and actually am no longer dealing with a prevaricating ticker! We did eat out a lot and had some "naughty" meals but BGL has been good and weight was stable. Now to head into August and focus on losing another five pounds. Tomatoes and cucumbers are my friends.

Today I speak at a friend' husband's Celebration of Life. I am a tad nervous as she asked me just last night but I am sure all will be well. I'm usually OK once I open my mouth at these things. There will be a "lunch" afterwards but I've learned to survive these events by walking around and visiting while carrying a plate of selected food. Tonight there is a big BBQ in the meadow to celebrate two birthdays and I'll use the same technique. Tomorrow life should be back to normal until the next event.

I have a freezer stocked with homemade frozen dinners. My garden is producing lots of beans and tomatoes so this should be a good month of healthy eating. I may even try a new recipe or two.

Happy August!

Wannabehealthy
08-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Right now I am eating veggies and protein and I have not included any of the better carbs like Brown rice Wheat pasta and stuff like that. I am jest eating alot of protein and veggies.

Being a rice lover, I tried brown rice and didn't like it. But I went back and gave it another chance and now I love it. I tried the mixed brown rice and wild rice and I think that's my favorite.

My step son was never a healthy eater. He liked vegetables, but other than that he ate steak and sausage, etc, all the high fat foods. Now he's married to a woman who eats healthy. She cooks healthy, and he eats it. Period. I am amazed at the change in him.

It's different with their son, though. The pediatrician told them not to give him sugar til he was a year old, so when he turned 1, they started giving him candy, cupcakes, etc. That was a big mistake IMO, because now he wants that stuff instead of his meals. If they had never introduced it to him he wouldn't have been exposed to it until he went to school and was around other kids eating it, and by that time his healthy habits would have been firm. Grandma's an old lady....what does she know? LOL

Carol

Floriduh
08-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Good morning! Last night was another Friday night feast of fresh steamed clams and mussels with real BUTTER! Bedtime BS 95, FBS 103 this morning. Will spend extra time in the pool today to work off the butter. :swim:

Ruth--thanks for posting the August thread. Remembered this morning I hadn't given the dog his monthly heartworm med due on the 1st.

Slmn11--Never a fan of brown rice, you've given me hope I may like it one of these days. Same for whole wheat bread. I may try them again down the road.

fatmad--hooray for sticking to plan and yoga!

Best wishes to all for a relaxing weekend and normal blood sugars.

Wannabehealthy
08-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Good morning! Last night was another Friday night feast of fresh steamed clams and mussels with real BUTTER! Bedtime BS 95, FBS 103 this morning. Will spend extra time in the pool today to work off the butter. :swim:

Ruth--thanks for posting the August thread. Remembered this morning I hadn't given the dog his monthly heartworm med due on the 1st.

Slmn11--Never a fan of brown rice, you've given me hope I may like it one of these days. Same for whole wheat bread. I may try them again down the road.

fatmad--hooray for sticking to plan and yoga!

Best wishes to all for a relaxing weekend and normal blood sugars.

For years, I loved wheat bread and ate nothing but. After I had my heart bypass surgery I just can't stand it. I don't know why. I can't stand the taste of beef anymore either. It's strange.

Carol

fatmad
08-06-2011, 11:04 AM
LOL Ruth, I didn't even notice we hadn't started the August thread until you did it, was happily just posting in the July section without a thought.

Will take the dog for a nice trail walk today, looks like a busy day. Our daughter wants us to go to her boyfriends football game out of town this evening, but that means not much doggy time today. Don't know what we will do with her to make that work, unless I stay home. We don't have people who dog sit for her, just a kennel for overnights. Its a grey day here, (hurray?) and we had a little rain in the night. We have had such hot, dry weather, I am glad for a bit of cloud and maybe rain, although that might put a damper (sorry for the pun) on an outdoor musical festival, (there are two nearby this weekend).
TOmorrow, I go to Toronto to take my daughter to a musical, (Billy Elliott) so that will be fun. Its a matinee, so I will be home in time for a nice sleep before back to work on Monday am.
Have a great weekend friends.

desertmouse2010
08-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to 3FC. I've been exploring and silently getting motivated by everyone. It's helped me so much. I knew I needed to join. I LOVE 3FC. :hug:

I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2007. I was so overwhelmed I didn't try to control it up until a few months ago. My FBG was always in the mid 120s but this morning it was 111. I'm almost normal! :carrot:

Thank you everyone for sharing. :)

Butterfly50
08-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Hi Everyone jest got back from the doctor this morning and he checked my sugar levels and said it was 137 and I was fasting... Looking forward to the class on friday I hope to learn alot. Other then that Dr said so far done a good job I have lost 10 pounds. More to come.....

Riemontana
08-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Happy Saturday

Fbs at 82 this morning. I got in 65 minutes of step aerobics. At my dr's advice, I took a small (5carb) protein shake before I started. We are trying to see if I can get better bs control while I am working out. I promised him that I wouldn't test right away for a while.

I had an apple with a little peanut butter for breakfast. I am happy that I have been successful with some fruit in my diet without bs issues. Berries seem to be ok. Banana's make me spike.:( It also seems to be the protein/fruit combo that works best.

Ruth, thanks for doing the "housekeeping". It sounds like you have a good and healthy week planned. Your ticker is looking good - I want to keep chasing you down the scale, ok?:running:

Bonnie, congrats on the positive dr visit. It feels really good to have those positives, especially early on. How is your family doing with everything? Do you have a pool?

Carol, it is weird that our tastes change so much, especially after medical issues. I have always been a white bread girl. Last night the only reasonable carb option at supper was a white roll. I ate about half because it tasted like it was dipped in sugar. Blech

Desertmouse, Welcome! This is a great place for support and help. I don't know what I would do without it. Looking forward to sharing the journey with you.

Fatmad, playing with a baby is always good! My friends and family always have pics of me with babies because I am always reaching for them. LOL Good for you on cleaning. I wish I was going to the musical.

Well, sorry for anyone I missed. I need to get done and get to the garden before it gets really hot today. I will be back later.

Rie

Butterfly50
08-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Rie Yes I love a good Dr apt to. Yes I do have a pool . I will be so glad when I can test to see what bothers my sugar will be learning all that Friday. The family is doing well My 16 year old tells everyone they are on a diet she only weigh 106 pds. They are all handling it well though.

desertmouse2010 Welcome:hug:

fatmad Gotta enjoy them while they are little that when they are the best.

Carol Oh my! my family is a rice and potato people and I made them cut back on a alot of it

Floriduh I commend you I can't do any type of fish or anthing like it Makes me sick .

Ruthxxx Thanks I am new here and I was wondering about the August thread. Thanks a Bunch.

Ruthxxx
08-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Good morning. I didn't check my blood or weight this morning. It's sometimes best to skip it after a day like yesterday. I did manage to avoid the desserts at the post-funeral feast but the big BBQ party in the meadow was a different matter. I did indulge in a piece of baklava (not worth it) and a slice of my rum cake which was very worth it. The wine was flowing and my willpower got washed away.

Back on track today with a green monster smoothie for breakfast. (Milk, egg, ground flax, strawberries and a big handful of spinach) I have a big salad planned for lunch with some chickpeas in it and will do a salsa chicken breast (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1/47848-easy-salsa-baked-chicken.html), yellow beans and some chard for dinner. That should get me back on track.

I badly bruised my leg in a silly accident a week ago. I'm still in a lot of pain with it so plan to spend some porch time with it elevated today. Picture me out there on the wicker, book in hand and a pitcher of Cystal Light close by.

Floriduh
08-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Good morning! FBS 102--same as bedtime BS last night. Big bowl of fresh peach slices and blueberries w/light whipped cream for breakfast. Next stop is the swimming pool for morning workout.

Bonnie--Don't know what I would do if seafood was banned from my menu items, especially since my other two favs--chocolate and cheese--are limited these days. LOL--I guess you won't be trying my recipe for tuna salad with flax seed!

Carol--A friend of mine lost all sense of taste following his open-heart surgery. It finally returned ~6 months later. Maybe it's the anesthesia. Anyway, he lost a LOT of weight when he couldn't taste anything.

Desertmouse--Welcome!

Ruth--Your menu for today sounds marvelous!

Butterfly50
08-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Floriduh I do tuna fish Only Starkist and I do some shrimp sometimes only a few other then that I am not a big fish eater only if it didnt taste like fish . Why cant I find a fish like they have a captains D or Longjohn silver I love that fish. I have tried talipa it is a ok but the more it has a fish taste the more it make me feel sick. I have even tried salmon witch isnt bad either as long as it dont have a bad fish taste. I even made some tuna steaks once. I guess it is because when I was younger like 8 my brother in law went fishing and they cooked them for dinner and I ate one that was strong tasting and then I found a bone and that was it. I mean I have a whole bag of talipia in my freezer but dont know what to do with it beside lemon and butter in the oven.

Floriduh
08-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Hi Bonnie--you could try poaching your tilapia in chicken broth, with a drizzle of olive oil, chopped green onions, garlic and/or any spices you enjoy.

Butterfly50
08-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Floriduh I will try that I will have to get some chicken broth. Thanks

Riemontana
08-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi All! Happy Sunday

Fbs at 89 this morning and I sure would've liked to skip the workout but I lifted weights. I am getting much better at planks and I can now do 2 sets of 10 pushups. I am making progress.:carrot:

I had an on-plan eating and excercise day yesterday. Today is my company picnic/barbque. My employees from American Samoa will be at the grills. I plan to enjoy too much chicken and to control carbs with little indulgences.

Bonnie, it sounds like you are doing really well. Trust me, it gets easier. Well, either you will like fish or you won't. But, it is good to try it now and again as our tastes change. I like tillapia and sole fillets because they are easy, quick, and cheap. Both of those fish tend to take on the flavor of what they are cooked with. We use lots of garlic, roasted garlic, and scallians. Right now, you should try to focus on finding foods that you enjoy within your plan.

Floriduh, your breakfast and morning pool sounds lovely. I wish I could eat that much fruit - maybe soon. Your bs control is holding well.

Ruth, it sounds like you have a good plan. I expect that this lifestyle is always going to be about days that we are not perfect. Life is to be lived and food treats will always be a part of that. Your green smoothie sounds lovely. I might have to try that.

Carol, Fatmad, and others, I hope that you have a great day. BBL

Rie

fatmad
08-07-2011, 11:56 AM
did a nice walk yesterday, but overindulged in carbs.
Breakfast on plan, and am taking my DD and her partner and MIL for supper.
Will try to rise to the challenge.
will check in later ladies. have a lovely sunday.

pattygirl63
08-07-2011, 02:57 PM
A quick flyby seems to be the best I can do here lately. Busy with all the family members who have moved in. A real adjustment to say the least.

Looks like everyone is doing very well. My FBG has gotten back down consistently. Has been between 113 and 117 this past week and weight is coming down as well. Not sure what I'm doing different since I'm not following a diet plan. I eat only when I'm hungry and only eat as much as it takes to satisfy me. I think it is the combination of eating mini-meals instead of big meals and the 2 Metformins a day. I really don't care as long as it is working I will take it.

Y'all keep up the good work and I'll check in when I can.

Have a nice Sunday.

Justwant2Bhealthy
08-07-2011, 11:14 PM
HELLO ~ we are so busy right now that August is flying by us -- already one week gone. Have been at our new house cleaning & painting all last week; it sure is some kind of exercise and man, have I been sore ... throbbing feet are the worst ... we took today off to rest our bodies!

EAting was good all week; I did succomb to a couple of treat snacks this weekend, but I think I burned off a zillion calories this week. I woke up sooo hungry this AM; must have been a big sugar dip there. I picked up some bananas (greenish yellow) to have with my breakfast; that may help while I am burn'in so many xtra calories this week.

We took our homemade lunches with us all week; and I'm sure that is what helped me there. Tonight I had half a pork chop steak with salad; and DH had a homemade hamburger steak with tator-veggie medly. I make up the hamburger steaks and then freeze them in baggies ahead; saves time.

Tomorrow, we continue the painting; I have the kitchen closet and a couple of doors to finish up, while the others will continue with the hall or a bedroom, I think. We had deadbolts installed today; that should keep the unexpected night visitors away ... ;)

Gonna go rest up for the evening; keep up the good work ladies -- it will pay off with mega-health benefits! Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
08-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Darned FBGL was 2.6 this morning! :mad: I had lasagna for supper last night so it wasn't from not having carbs. If it bottomed out regularly I'd cut the meds but it doesn't. :shrug:

This is going to be a "me" week! I have my meals all planned and have no appointments until Saturday morning. I am going to spend more time reading on the front porch with my sore leg elevated. It sure is a bruise but I think it's getting better. I've been putting witch hazel compresses on it.

When the dratted leg gets better, I am going to get back to walking. I got some Nordic walking poles and may try them since they are supposed to give you a better work-out. The dogs will have to stay home.

On we go with a week of healthy living. Do something nice for your body today. Evens something as simple as slathering on hand lotion will do.

Lindy87
08-08-2011, 11:17 AM
FBS was 113 this morning. Super low for me. Maybe I just need to take my meds at 10 pm with a snack like last night and not with my main meal aroung 5 or 6. Gonna try that for a few days and see if it works.

Riemontana
08-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Happy Monday

I had a fbs of 89 this morning despite yesterdays indulgences. I was in a good range last night but one never knows how it will react over night.

I did my strength training and some wii fit boxing this morning despite the fact that I woke up tired. I have an early meeting tomorrow but other than that, I want to hit the excercise hard this week.

I am running late so I am going to be back later for personals.

Have a great day.

Rie

Butterfly50
08-08-2011, 05:53 PM
I am gonna be brave and cook me a piece of talipia for dinner with a plate of mixed Steamed veggies. I need something different tonight.....

Butterfly50
08-08-2011, 07:12 PM
So I fixed it I put a little butter in the pan and cooked it with lots of different spices I think the best was the cajun and it was good I will do that again..

Riemontana
08-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Hello all.

I had a pretty good day at work. Leftover barbque chicken and salad was a great and satisfying lunch.

Bonnie, the tillapia sounds good. My son got me to eat it at first with a little cajun seasoning. I still like it a lot. After a while, it seemed that I developed more of a taste for it. Good luck

Lyndy, Has your dr given you advice about when to take your metformin? I am confused about 113 being a really low reading?

Ruth, did you have any wine last night perchance? I ask because it always sends me low. Your plan for the week sounds really good. I like my walking poles for uneven ground and for winter time. I think it encourages me to use my arms. I hope your leg gets better soon.

Justwannabe, nice to hear about the home preparations. It is a lot of work. Just wondering.... Why are your feet hurting? Is it just from being on your feet too much?

Trish, I am glad that the transition to extended family is going well. I know that it can be stressful. It sounds like your bs and weight are stabilizing nicely.

Fatmad, how was dinner last night? and how was the musical? It sounded like it would be great.

Well, gotta get on with the rest of the evening. Happy and Healthy all.

Rie

fatmad
08-08-2011, 10:31 PM
The musical of "Billy Elliott" was great. Starred the young fellow from Iowa, ( there are 4 boys for the part, and they rotate). Its a big job for a young person, he really has to carry the show, but he did great. What a talented dancer. The other 3 boys are all canadian.
Had a lovely dinner with my daughter and her in-laws. we wound up going to Mandarin for the buffet. Interesting thing happens. There is very little conversation, we all talk about food, what we are eating, what tastes good, but nothing about anything else. When I brought up this observation, everyone settled down on eating, and started talking more! Very refreshing. This is a family that are not great communicators so it was good to be able to get them talking.
Unfortunately, I am really having trouble with sweets, and overdid it a bit at dessert. This is a real achilles heel for me. I think I will have to go back to atkins induction and totally stop having any sweets of any kind for a couple of weeks. I will try this now I think, because we have a family gathering my next weekend off, and I think the timing will be good. DH and DD will be gone for a few days next week too. So tomorrow am, back to induction, and be strict with no sweets, not even splenda.

Lindy87
08-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Rie: 113 is low for me because in the morning I am usually in the 140s, before trying to eat more healthy it was always in the 160s. My A1c is in the ok range as it was 6.5 last time. My Dr. does not seem to be concerned because my A1c is good, it just bothers me.

kjsspot
08-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Docs have poor poor expectations when it comes to D. There's just so many out there that have NO clue about control that the Docs are just grateful when someone gives even a half hearted attempt. My morning are range from 120-150 but I'm not gonna be happy until I start seeing it below 100.

Meds are pretty much maxed out. Insulin has helped a LOT. Especially with energy. I've not had a problem with weight gain from it as I'm so much more active when I have energy.

I honestly believe the only thing that's gonna truly help me is weight loss. Cause my IR is so strong that I need 100 basal just to get the above numbers with absolutely NO threat of hypos. LoL So if I can lower this friggin IR than perhaps my meds can actually start working better. ;)

Ruthxxx
08-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Sorry I don't post more but MODing keeps me pretty busy.

Just to report BGL was 3.7(66.6) this morning which was a bit of a surprise. 4 to 5 is my norm. I did a stir-fry for dinner last night and, as usual, weight is up 2+ pounds. :( Why does it go on overnight and take 2-3 days to leave?

Floriduh
08-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Good Morning! FBS 99--hooray! B-fast was 1/2 C plain greek yogurt. Skipped my big bowl of fruit this morning because the weather is a bit ominous, and I'm unlikely to get in my morning swim today. Will plan to have the fresh fruit in a couple of hours, quantity dependent upon whether the weather will cooperate with my need to burn off the sugar.

0.8 lbs away from 20 lbs weight loss...looking forward to that milestone!

Bonnie--Very glad you enjoyed the tilapia with cajun seasoning, especially since you have a supply of it in your freezer. Any new menu item for variety is a plus with our diabetic dietary restrictions.

kjsspot--I agree that physicians typically have low expectations for patient compliance with diabetes control. It is a very personal and difficult decision to make the necessary changes for the rest of our lives. For me, the Big D diagnosis was a big wake up call that my weight and my eating habits were completely out of control. Knowing well the very real and horrible complications diabetes causes was enough to get me to change my lifestyle immediately. At times I want to kick myself for letting it get to this, but I've made the life altering decision to fix the problems that got me here. Some days I can't believe how easy it is to eat healthy foods and limit quantity. Other days require more resolve. Either way, I'm determined.

fatmad
08-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Sorry I don't post more but MODing keeps me pretty busy.

Just to report BGL was 3.7(66.6) this morning which was a bit of a surprise. 4 to 5 is my norm. I did a stir-fry for dinner last night and, as usual, weight is up 2+ pounds. :( Why does it go on overnight and take 2-3 days to leave?

Ruth: try a specialty food store or health food store and get some lower salt tamari or soy sauce for your stir fries. You are so sensitive to salts that you need the low sodium.

fatmad
08-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Starting atkins today, weight at 172 as per signature. bs last night before bed at 7.1, after a snack with greek yogurt and sf ice cream. this am 5.8 fasting.
Want to be down below 170 asap, but will settle for the end of the month. (I lose slowly, no matter what the method)

for a summer treat, go the atkins thread, and read about making "potato salad" with cauliflower. Its low carb, delicious, and won't spike your blood sugar.

Riemontana
08-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Good Morning all!

fbs at 91 this morning, after a night of sleep interruptions and morning frustration. I was awakened several times by work last night. The last call came at 445 and I was wide awake, finally getting up at 530. I feel achy and tired.

Ruth, we all understand that you have lots of duties. Hang out here when you can, ok? Have you ever tried using a vietnamese approach to stir fry? I use mashed garlic, fresh ginger, fish sauce, and sometimes lime juice and/or sweet chili sauce. Make a paste and coat the meat - marinate for a while. Then stir fry. It will be flavorfull. If I want a little more liquid, I add a bit of stock to finish. Really good. Fish sauce has that salty tang but not as much sodium. Sometimes I add some low salt soy. Incidentally, we keep all our meat and veggie scraps in bags in the freezer. when full, make very concentrated stock. We freeze in ice cube containers and then put in ziplock bags for storage. Really convenient for cooking and much more tasty than anything that you can buy.

I totally agree with the posts that docs are often too complacent about bs numbers. I understand that it takes time for bs to come down and stabilize but sometimes I don't think they are honest with their patients. I have posted before about my frustration that my father's dr doesn't do a better job of managing his diabetes. Dad thinks that his 7.5 A1c is "great". We all have to do the best we can but I think there is a difference between compassion and support and enabling.

Floriduh, I nice breakfast! I always read with longing about your fruit breakfasts. I am working slowly with adding fruit. The apples with protein are serving me well, and they are really filling. Working out temporarily raises my sugar so I can't rely on that for the long run. Like you, I think that the diabetes "wake up call" was what will ultimately save my life.

Kjsspot, I also believe that the weight loss and reducing insulin resistance is the only thing that will help long term.

Fatmad, the show sounds good and I am glad that you were able to get a good conversation started. I think a lovely social time over dinner is such a fun way to spend one's time. Hopefully, I will be able to learn how to do this in a healthy way.

Well, I know that we don't generally do this on this thread but I am going to post a couple of pictures. The first is from mid-september of last year. The other is from the barbque this weekend. I just thought it might be helpful to the newbies to see that there is real hope. I still have a ways to go, but my life is so much better now. Good luck to day and good health.
Rie

Floriduh
08-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Rie--Sorry about your inadequate sleep. I hate when that happens. I am brain drained for the day unless I can find time for a nap.

Was able to sneak in a brief (35 min), yet intense workout in the pool between T-storms this morning. Without my luscious fruit breakfast, bs dropped to 64. Normally after fruit and swim, bs is mid 70s to low 80s. I figured out after much trial and error the big bowl of fruit is my energy boost for the workout. Can't have it unless I'm going to burn it immediately.

fatmad--Yes! Low sodium soy sauce is fantastic--and I am an admitted saltaholic. As for the Atkins Diet--It was a lifesaver for me. Started my carb detox by going cold turkey with Atkins. First week was a blur while I went through carb withdrawal and lost about six lbs of water weight. Wow--could finally see my ankle bones again. My long standing fluid retention is now a distant memory. I eventually gave up meat for breakfast (my fav lean bacon) because I wasn't seeing the weight loss pace I had hoped. Very thankful I had Atkins to get me started on the journey! It was exactly what I needed for the jump start.

Floriduh
08-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Rie-- :bravo: You look magnificent! You have accomplished great success over the past year.
(ok, so I used a magnifying glass to see the pics ;) )

LynnDu
08-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Wow, Rie, you are doing really great! When were you diagnosed?

My hat is off to everyone that posts because that is a big step to take. Hiding one's head in the sand is so much easier, I've done it for years.

It looks like I am not the only one to suffer from Dawn Phenomenon, it's such a struggle. My endo is another that doesn't seem to worry with it....but I do.

I have to stay low carb (less than 40 per day) to keep my levels in control, so I envy many of you here that can eat them!

kjsspot
08-09-2011, 11:23 PM
@Rie, great job on getting healthier!! And exercise doesn't lower my BGs either. It's kinda frustrating sometimes. But I know it will help me lose and that will help in the long run so I'm gonna keep doing it anyway.

Ruthxxx
08-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Plugging along. Weight and BGL are staying the same. I'm ready for a whoosh of weight loss - a whoosh for me is two pounds. Of course it would help if I remembered to take my Victoza.

Today I go to get fitted for my two hearing aids and am feeling a bit old and decrepit. I'm sure I'll recover.

Floriduh
08-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Good morning! fbs 106 a tad higher than usual. Late dinner last night. Best news--finally reached the 20lb weight loss hurdle! Checked the scale twice to be sure. Doing the happy dance! :broc:

Riemontana
08-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Good Morning All

fbs at 81 this morning. I did an hour of aerobics and am finishing a good breakfast. I have been adding in some fresh veggies in the morning - something that I never would have considered. A small cucumber or small tomato added to my fruit and protein is surprisingly good.

I am trying to increase my water intake. I just forget sometimes. I realized on Monday evening that I had been drinking coffee all day but I had not consumed even one glass of water. Not good with my working out.

Ruth, I am sorry that the hearing aids make you feel old:hug: Hopefully, your ability to hear - especially in a crowd - will make it more tolerable. The weight will come off. How is your leg?

LynnDu, I was diagnosed in late august last year. I started on my journey the first week in September, after my first dr and educator visit. Is your morning bs ever helped by an evening snack? It took me a long time to get that under control.

Thanks Floriduh, I am sorry that the pictures don't enlarge. I don't know how to fix it. Congrats on the atkins route. I actually have trouble with bs if I don't have small amounts of controlled carbs. My dr says that my liver "panics" and sends out sugar. Our bodies are all so different. I wonder sometimes if there aren't subsets of diabetes that they haven't named yet. It is one of the things that is frustrating to me because so many people (who don't have it) will tell you how you are supposed to eat.

Fatmad, Trish, Bonnie, and everyone else, have a good and healthy day.

Rie

Butterfly50
08-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Hey ladies ! I hope all is finding themself having a good day. Well after this weekend I will no longer have internet. Because the lack of funds. Hope to get back on here ASAP. I am gonna continue to do right keeping my logs going . Hopefully can find a way to fly by sometime...

LynnDu
08-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi Rie, over the years I have tried the evening snack, and it works for awhile. Then my body adapts to it and I have 130+ readings in the morning. I can usually fool things by what I eat, cheese and fruit or peanut butter and celery, a glass of wine..... I'm really about at the end of my rope with it!

Lynn

Ruthxxx
08-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Rie, the darn leg is still very sore but the bruise has moved from purple into blue so that must be progress.

Butterfly, any chance you can use a computer at a nearby public library? We want you to continue to hang out with us.

Lynn, we have to keep experimenting. I have a very low FBGL this morning despite a carby dinner.

Floriduh, :cheer: for the 20 pounds!

Fatmad, I nearly bought some wee new potatoes yesterday but put them back in favour a a cauliflower. Thanks for the hint.

Kjsspot, exercise does nothing for my BGL either but it sure helps the blood pressure. As soon as things cool off a bit, I'll be back at the gym and will be back ar walking once this darn leg heals up.

For some reason, I are a bunch of candy yesterday afternoon. I was thinking of skipping supper to compensate but did not. I had another carby supper but my BGL this morning was 2.6 again! That's with a brand new meter too! I eat dinner late - usually around 7 - but guess I need a snack at 10 when I head for bed. The good thing about my low readings is that they wake me up. It was just after 3 this morning. Grrr! It'll be an afternoon nap day for sure.

Floriduh
08-11-2011, 07:18 AM
FBS 105 this morning. House guests arriving today. Dinner menu: sesame chicken stirfry w/baby brussel sprouts, baby corn, mushrooms and snow peas. Will serve rice, but I'll skip the rice.

Butterfly50--so sorry to learn about your internet situation. Please check in when you get a chance to let us know your progress. Good luck!

Ruth--I hope your leg heals quickly. I thought about you last evening when I was picking up batteries for my aunt's hearing aids. Gosh, those batteries are tiny and drain quickly. However, they surely improve conversations with my aunt. She is a terrible lip reader.

Lynn--When you figure out the secret for evening snack success with fbs, let me know! I can't find a pattern that works yet. I suspect that part of my problem is not having a set time for the evening meal, and sticking with the schedule.

Back to house cleaning. Not entirely optimistic I'll get in a swim this morning before meeting up with the out-of-town guests in a few hours. Best wishes to all for a good day and excellent blood sugar levels!

fatmad
08-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Butterfly, does your local library do internet? even a visit once or twice a week is helpful, and usually free. I assume if money is an issue, then going for wi-fi at starbucks or another cafe isn't an option for you. I hope you can find a solution, we enjoy seeing you.
Ruth, one of the lovely things about internet, is the very lack of agism. I know you are an older lady, but I don't think of you as old. Its a great leveler to be on the internet, isn't it. My Dad has been having problems getting used to his hearing aids, and doesn't realize what he misses when he doesn't wear them. Then he puts them in and joins into conversation and we all have a better time.

I am down about 1/2 pound after 2 days of atkins, but am a little backed up, (sorry if tmi) so have to get things moving. fbs was 5.2 today.

About exercise, yes, it can temporarily raise your sugars, but reduces insulin resistance, (yes even the same day!) so don't worry if it goes up a bit.
Especially if you exercise regularly, your body will adjust and stop spiking so dramatically.

Have a good day as we get ready for the weekend everyone!

Riemontana
08-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Hello all!

Fbs at 89 this morning. I had an enjoyable evening at pool league last night.

Headed into the last day of my work week. I am looking forward to the weekend.

Bonnie, I hope that you can find access to a public computer. Just a little checking in will be so helpful to you on the early part of your journey. And I have really enjoyed your enthusiasm.

Ruth, I agree with fatmad. On the internet, most of us are ageless. When you talked about aging, I was surprised because it didn't fit with my image of you.

Fatmad, thanks for the reminder about the temporary nature of bs rise due to excercise. My dr told me to stop testing after excercise. My next fbs (usually before lunch is always good) I always appreciate your information.

LynnDu, hang in there. I think the most important part of this disease is the determination to stay focused and keep trying.

Ok, I need to get going. TTL

Rie

Butterfly50
08-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Hi everyone. Well I have been sitting here trying to figure out my phone I have internet on it but I cant figure out how to sign in on Three Fat Chicks .At least I can keep in touch everyone. IF not any one do face book Look me up I can use my phone for that My name is Bonnie Harbeson jest tell me your from three fat chicks. Going to the nutrition class tomorrow so wont be on till late evening an I will let you know how it went...

gothik butterfly
08-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Hi all! Saw the endocrinologist for the first time today. I ADORE her.

also, down another lb this week! actually more than 1. Somewhere in there is a partial lb.

According to my blood work, i've gone from 6.0 to 5.7 and everything else has been great as well. She's very proud of me and I'm proud of myself!

Have a lot of different appointments coming up, diabetes class #3, eye exam, sleep apnea consult and the ear-nose-throat doc because I have calcium or some other build up in my saliva glands. I'm finally getting it checked out.

I'm a little overwhelmed with doctor appointments but I know it's all for a good cause.

My work pants and jeans are falling off my butt... literally. I bent over to feed the cat last night and when I stood up my pants went right to my ankles. hahaha!

Hope everyone is doing well. Since I get online during my lunch break at work and rarely any other time, I dont have time to do personals.. but I wish you all a healthy day!

kari

fatmad
08-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Hi everyone. Well I have been sitting here trying to figure out my phone I have internet on it but I cant figure out how to sign in on Three Fat Chicks .At least I can keep in touch everyone. IF not any one do face book Look me up I can use my phone for that My name is Bonnie Harbeson jest tell me your from three fat chicks. Going to the nutrition class tomorrow so wont be on till late evening an I will let you know how it went...

I assume you must have unlimited data on your phone plan then? Mine supposedly has unlimited data, but surfing certain sites really takes up bandwidth and I have gone over my data, and those charges are big!
Cell plans are so different with diff companies etc tho. I think there is a smartphone friendly way to get on with us tho!

Butterfly50
08-11-2011, 10:59 PM
I hope so I am still trying to figure it out talked to my sister tonight and she gave me and idea I will have to try. Yes I do or I am susposed to have unlimited. I have straight talk.

Things are going good thought I have the nutrition class in the am so I will have one busy day tomorrow. I will check in with you all when I get home hope everyone has a good day..

Ruthxxx
08-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Butterfly, so glad to know you will be able to keep in touch.

Decent BGL this morning. Whew! I have a lying ticker and will give it until Monday to get in shape. The sneaky so-called water weight seems to have grown roots. I'm pretty sure that lack of activity is part of the problem. I have not been able to do village walking and have had to spend a lot of time with my leg elevated. I must start extra Vitamin C to see if I can speed up the healing. It will be two weeks tomorrow since I stepped down that floor vent. Enough already!

TGIF, Chickies!

TamTam
08-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Hey ladies ! I hope all is finding themself having a good day. Well after this weekend I will no longer have internet. Because the lack of funds. Hope to get back on here ASAP. I am gonna continue to do right keeping my logs going . Hopefully can find a way to fly by sometime...

Your local public library should offer the internet free of charge maybe you could go that route. Please know that we all wish the best for you. God Bless.

Floriduh
08-12-2011, 12:45 PM
fbs 100 this morning--yay! Great week overall with diet, exercise and weight loss. Fortunately, my house guests are normally healthy eaters, so they appreciated the sesame chicken stirfry last night and fresh fruit, plain greek yogurt and apple bran muffins for breakfast. Fortunately for me, the muffins stayed on the other side of the table, away from my reach.

Great idea for those who suggested the public library as another option for internet access!

kari--Hooray for the work pants and jeans falling off your butt!! :dancer: Fantastic progress!

Best wishes to all for a fabulous weekend and excellent blood sugars.

Riemontana
08-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Hello All.

fbs at 84 this morning. It is holding in the mid 80's throughout the day. This morning I walked 3.3 miles at a 15min/hour pace. It felt pretty good. I think I will be ready for the 5k next month. I have short little legs so it is hard to walk very fast. I just want to focus on walking faster because I don't want to be holding the others back. :carrot:

I weighed in this morning and I am down one pound this month. I am happy with that for a couple of reasons: Due to scheduling, it has only been about 3weeks since the July weigh in. I was on vacation for 11 of those days and enjoying quite a few treats. I was almost anticipating a gain so the loss is good. It has been a long time (20 years +) since my weight was in the 170's:cool:

Bonnie, I am glad to hear that you will be able to stay with us! I am looking forward to hearing about your class.

Floriduh. Your menu sounds lovely. I have been surprised at the response from my friends who say, "you eat like this?". I think they believe that I am pining away on carrot sticks.... LOL Good bs.

Ruth, your lying ticker will be back into submission when you can get more active. I hope that your leg starts to heal quickly now.

Kari, I am so glad that you liked your endo! I personally think that is so important. You are doing really well.

Fatmad, do you have anything lovely planned for the weekend? I hope the slow moving is going again. ;) I constantly struggle with it. Good job on the atkins op.

I will check in later!

Rie

Floriduh
08-12-2011, 03:21 PM
I weighed in this morning and I am down one pound

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:
:goodscale

Riemontana has lost Seventy-Five pounds!!!
A major milestone! Keep rockin', Rie!!!

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Butterfly50
08-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Ok I am back from class and I can say it went well. They gave me a contour meter so I am all set up and ready to go gave us lots of papers to read over and even gave us some free samples of stuff. I learned alot about what to look for when you test and as far as safe number and numbers to be worried about. They told me I should be on a 1500 calories a day . They gave us a meal ticket to eat lunch today they had fish and pasta. I had pasta we checked our levels 2 hours after lunch and it was 130. Their was one lady who was 206. I am understanding some of the foods better so I can make a better choice in the store they showed me how to read a label so that was good I dont remember everything but I guess it will come back as I go threw all this papers and reread what they have here and I took lots of notes. will check in at the am and let you know How my testing is going......

TamTam
08-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Butterfly The more you do it the easier it gets and the more automatic it gets, soon you will be able to do it with out having to think too much about what needs to get done. Good luck and God Bless.

Riemontana
08-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Hi all!

Awwww, Floriduh, Thank you so much! :hug: You really made me smile tonight.

Bonnie, it sounds like you are on your way. :carrot: Now that you have your meter, you will be able to see the patterns and learn how your body reacts to different foods. This really does get easier - I promise.

Hey Cajun! Hows things with you?

Talk to you all in the morning!

Rie

pattygirl63
08-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Another flyby, but hopefully next week when the kids start school things will settle some during the day and I will be able to get back to reading and checking in with y'all.

FBG has settled down in the 1teens to 120s so I'm really pleased with that. Eating is pretty good and hope to get back down below 220 within a few days.

Hope y'all have a great weekend. Catch y'all next week.

kjsspot
08-13-2011, 12:17 AM
@kari, I lost my skirt to my ankles once in the middle of a theater! Of course I was only 5 but I was mortified! Heh

@rie, wow!!! 75 pounds is AWESOME!

I finally went in for my 90 day check up a bit late… (last one was in March. LoL) But it was good! I’m down 16 pounds since March by the official Dr. scale. (which now matches my home one after I calibrated it. Darn.) And look at the rest of these nice results!

Lab Results – Mar/Aug
A1C - 8.9/6.5
Cholesterol – 212/177
LDL – high/107 (march was too high to calculate)
HDL – 25/30

fatmad
08-13-2011, 09:39 AM
@kari, I lost my skirt to my ankles once in the middle of a theater! Of course I was only 5 but I was mortified! Heh

@rie, wow!!! 75 pounds is AWESOME!

I finally went in for my 90 day check up a bit late… (last one was in March. LoL) But it was good! I’m down 16 pounds since March by the official Dr. scale. (which now matches my home one after I calibrated it. Darn.) And look at the rest of these nice results!

Lab Results – Mar/Aug
A1C - 8.9/6.5
Cholesterol – 212/177
LDL – high/107 (march was too high to calculate)
HDL – 25/30
:carrot:
this is awesome, good for you!

Butterfly50
08-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Here I am this morning reading was 114 I dont think that is too bad hubby was 89. We thik he is having a problem with his sugar dropping too low. we are gonna keep a eye on him. So I am gonna give this plan of their's a shot and here is what I am doing for breakfast.

1 egg
1 Fresh peach
1 slice of sara lee 45 calories whole wheat bread
1/2 cup cooked old fashoined 5 minute oats I did add a 1/2 tbs of ground flax in with them.
a tsp butter for the oats

Looks like alot of food but I need something because I work out after breakfast and the light breakfast I was having isnt enough. I will see how it goes if it dont I will make some changes.....

Ruthxxx
08-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Kjsspot, great visual of skirt around your ankles. :lol: Excellent HA1C improvement. (By the way, I keep typing your name as Kisspot.)

Butterfly, nice to continue to "see" you. Isn't it great to know we CAN control this?

Rie, 75 pounds is terrific! I hope you are very proud of yourself.

Patty, good for you in coping with major lifestyle changes. I hope things are all settled down.

Well, BGL is my usual 4.4 this morning after another poor night of sleep. 3 a.m. is not a fun wake-up time unless you want to see the meteor showers which I did! The world is very quiet out behind my barn.

Challenges are on the way this weekend and next week. Friends will be at a cottage at the lake and I will be dog-sitting two of their mutts. I know they will keep insisting I join them for dinner but I am going to resist as much as I can. I may have to tell a white lie and say I am having tummy troubles as they are real food-pushers, mainly carbs. I am taking dinner there tonight as they don't get the keys until 4 PM. It'll be a lean roast of pork, green and yellow beans, spinach salad and potatoes and pie for the carb eaters.

I need to get back to exercising but even walking is still too painful. :(

Floriduh
08-13-2011, 10:55 AM
kjsspot--WOW! Fantastic progress! From the HbA1C to your cholesterol numbers and weight loss :bravo:

Bonnie--So very happy to learn you are testing now, and your classes are packed with good information. Reading those nutrition labels is an eye opening experience. Was shocked last week when I saw a little package of frozen cauliflower w/cheese sauce. The label was adorned with "WW approved" stamp too. Didn't look closely enough until I got home--that puny little box represented three portions! Had to make serious menu adjustments to accommodate the unexpected extra carbs and calories.

My numbers are goofy high last night and this morning. Late dinner, late breakfast--all around off schedule. Need to get it fixed today. Off to the pool for morning workout. Best wishes for a great day and excellent blood sugars to all!

kjsspot
08-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks Fatmed, Ruth & Floriduh!! :D

@Bonnie, not to dissuade you from your nutrition class but pay attention to your meter post prandial. My BGs don’t always see eye to eye with nutrition classes. The generally recommended diet for Diabetics is NOT friendly to me. Your meal there with the bread, the peach and the oatmeal would spike the crap outta me. I know oatmeal is great for the heart but I have not yet found a way to eat it. I remember going to my nutrition class, being REALLY proud of myself for eating such small quantities and then being really discouraged when my spikes went even higher than ever. Not everyone is the same but I have to maintain a low carb eating style which is hard because I LOVE carbs. But it’s basically meat, veggies, no potatoes, no bread, no pasta (any of the starches) and I can only take small amounts of SOME fruits, mostly berries.

Listen and learn well because you will learn a lot but don’t assume that everything they say is the gospel truth for your body. Just pay real close attention to that meter so you can start understanding what works and what doesn’t. Another thing to keep in mind, when you’re first starting out check very often. My spikes are usually well past the 2 hour mark as I have a slow digestive system. My BGs can continue to climb even 4 hours after eating.

Anyway, everyone is different and what they teach you might work great for you! Just be aware that it’s not the same for everyone so you might have to do some major tweaking.

Riemontana
08-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Good Morning!

Fbs at 76 this morning. I did 65 minutes of walking aerobics and had greek yogurt and a hard boiled egg for breakfast. I am going to be having two grilled dinners today so I will just not worry about calories and aim for low carbs.

Kjsspot, wow, great numbers. Congrats!

Bonnie, it sounds like you are doing really well. I didn't realize that your hubby is diabetic, also?

Dinner sounds really good tonight. It is so hard to help people to understand our eating habits sometimes. I think the tummy trouble strategy is good. I have used it myself at times. I sure hope that leg starts to heal soon. Have you seen a doctor about it? What do they say?

Kari, the pants falling thing is too funny! What a great visual. I had the same problem with underwear. I stood up at a meeting and felt my undies slide right off my rear. I was so glad that I was wearing slacks.:o It was pretty hard to keep my cool. I went to buy new ones that night.

Fatmad, Happy Saturday.

Well, I am off to the store. BBL.

Rie

kjsspot
08-13-2011, 12:25 PM
I stood up at a meeting and felt my undies slide right off my rear. I was so glad that I was wearing slacks.:o It was pretty hard to keep my cool. I went to buy new ones that night.

Oh what a happy problem to have!

TamTam
08-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Morning all! For the past 4 days my blood sugar has been 119, 117, 114, and today 111, this is awesome for me!!! Weighed in this morning, stayed the same as last week but at least NO gain. Working in my hometowm store today, hubby in one of the other stores. Have a blessed day.

Butterfly50
08-13-2011, 02:30 PM
kjsspot Yes I know what your are saying I am questioning some of what they said . I hear you should not eat corn cause it can spike your levels up and they suggest it. Jest like the oatmeal and grits.I will be tweeking alot. They told me though only to check twice a day one in the Am before breakfast and one before lunch. So how am i know what foods are affecting me in a bad way??

Rie my hubby isnt diabetic( at least no by a doc) I do think he is though he always complains how bad he feels. I gave him a sheet and asked him if he has any of these signs when he feels bad and he said yes several. I am gonna watch him and if It is because his levels drop below 70 he is going to the doctor.

I hope everyone is having a good day today I am so busy. Can't wait for school to start Monday!!!

kjsspot
08-13-2011, 03:20 PM
They told me though only to check twice a day one in the Am before breakfast and one before lunch. So how am i know what foods are affecting me in a bad way??

Oh ya! That's one rule you should chuck right out the window!! At least not when you're trying to figure things out.

As for your hubby, 89 isn't considered a low fasting BG. According to ADA the normal fasting range starts at 70 so 89 is just fine.

Are you going to school, teaching, or just happy the kids are starting?

pattygirl63
08-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Butterfly I have a step-sister whose husband is diabetic and my Daddy told me that when he first learned he was diabetic that he tested after everything he ate and learned how certain foods effected his glucose. So when I first learned I was diabetic, I decided to do the same thing. Medicare only allows me to test once a day for as low as my FBG runs, so I bought a cheaper meter so I could purchase extra strips on my own that was cheaper than the ones the docs office gave me. I saved Medicare money and I was able to buy extra so I could test more often. Therefore, I've been able to learn how foods effected my bs. That is how I discovered that I could not eat oatmeal. I like my oatmeal with blueberries and yogurt. My blood sugar shot up over 200 mg/dl 2 hrs after eating oatmeal. I read somewhere that many diabetics who couldn't eat regular oats seemed to tolerate steel cut oats. I happened to find an organic steel cut oats at one of my stores that can be cooked the same as regular oats and tried it and found that it does not spike my bs but a few points.

kjsspot Have you tried the steel cut oats? Maybe it would work for you. Great job on the improved numbers.

Ruthie The dinner sounds great. And I like the idea of using your tummy as an excuse for not eating. Things aren't going exactly like I had hoped it would, but I'm learning all young people are the same. I actually should feel honored that my step-daughter actually acts like she did her real Mama when she was living. So I'm sure there is a loving compliment in there somewhere. LOL She is very sweet and precious young lady. She and her hubby and family just don't think. I've decided that my house will never be the same until the move into there own place. The important thing is we are helping them improve their lives for the future and I'm grateful we can help. The baby will help Nannie get loads of exercise. He is so smart.

Rie You are doing great. Congratulations on the 75 lb loss.

CatholicCajun FBG is looking great. You're doing a great job.

Fatmad, Floriduh and others reading:wave:

Butterfly50
08-13-2011, 08:51 PM
kjsspot with the hubby it is something we have discussed before he has these issues sometime that he gets to feeling rel bad and then i make him eat something sweet and he starts to feel better. He is very stuborn and wont go to the doctor. when he gets like that again I am gonna test and see where he is at. I am jest glad that they are starting school. Expecially the 16 year old she is the one that stresses me out the most.

pattygirl63 my insurance will pay up to 150 permonth and no more.The doc ordered me for 100 so if they change it i will have them He said to only do it once before breakfast and then before dinner. The company is sending me 10 free strips so I may do a little experminting with them. Them little strips I have cost 130.00 for 100 strips. I will have to see what I can do. I am about to go crazy.........

Riemontana
08-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi all,

I had a relaxing day with a couple of glasses of wine and some good grilled steak.

Bonnie, sometimes the meter company will have special deals for test strips. My insurance copay is $45/100 strips. However, I registered my meter (a free style lite) with the parent company - Abbot.com. They sent me a card and now my strips are $15. the Free style lite meter is really cheap and as easy to use as the contour. I actually think the maker of contour has a discount program as well. It is worth checking out. At any rate, the first group of test strips will help you figure things out.

Rie

kjsspot
08-13-2011, 09:19 PM
@Trish, yes, I've tried the steel cut oats too.

@Bonnie, Walmart has strips $20/50 and the meter is only $9. It might be worth it to get a batch of those once in a while to do some extra testing. It's called ReliOn.

Butterfly50
08-13-2011, 09:35 PM
I will have to check on it next month I am strapped for cash right now. I seen the meters so I will have to see what I can do...

Rie I went on the web site and reg it . They are gonna send me 10 strips in the mail free.I do have a free style freedom Lite I don't use it cause insurance wont pay for supplies. I am gonna have to do something. I tested before dinner with no snack and dinner was late we got stuck at the uncles house by a wonderful T storm. it was 112 so lower then Breakfast.

I went under the contour web site and reg it should I do the same for the Freestyle lite if I ever need to use it or not. If I go get the cheap one from walmart I dont want to have half a doz reg. But if I have problems with them I would like to make sure they can help me

pattygirl63
08-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Butterfly I understand about the strips costing too much. I couldn't do that now either and I use the ReliOn from Wal-Mart. 112 is good for later in the day. I read somewhere that a woman whose fasting number was not real low and her doctor told her that it was more important for the number to be in a lower range later in the day than fbs. BTW Just noticed you live in SC, I live in Rock Hill, SC. We got rain this evening too. Do you live in my general area? I realize you might not want to give the city and I can understand that so not asking exactly. I'm a transfer from TX by way of FL to SC. Were you born here?

Butterfly50
08-14-2011, 12:26 AM
pattygirl63 I live in Ravenel and I am from Illinois/Wisconsin. I know the price on these things are unreal my insurance company will only pay for the contour so that is what I got But it is tough trying to figure all this stuff out. I will hopefully get used to all this . My 112 was skipping afternoon snack and dinner was 2 hours late. I guess before long I will be a pro at it.

Floriduh
08-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Good Morning! Back on meal schedule with fbs 95 today. Whew!

Good discussion about glucose meters. Two months ago I purchased both Accuchek and Contour. My wallet was crying with all the test strips purchased and used as I experimented with foods and exercise. I was more concerned with the different readings I obtained from the two meters. Average 15 point difference with Accuchek showing consistently lower numbers. Went to Sams to see if the strips were any cheaper there. The friendly pharmacist talked me into trying Reli-On. He proudly described how they were made in Japan. I keenly noted the pharmacist was Japanese. Anyhow, I agreed to try the Reli-On micro. He was a good salesman. The substantially lower cost was worth the try.

Well...Reli-On glucose readings were consistently higher than the other two (by this time, I was checking all three from a single deep fingerstick). Reli-On produced upward of 30 points higher than Accuchek. So I started paying attention to how I was feeling when I compared the numbers. When I suspected my bs was high, the Reli-On numbers made the most sense. Once, when I was feeling shaky hypoglycemic, all three showed bs 61-62.

In summary, I still haven't checked my numbers against the lab. Will do that in a couple of weeks when my HbA1C and FBS is drawn. To date, I believe the Reli-On has been the most accurate of all. I haven't used the other two meters for more than a month. The fact that Reli-On test strips are significantly less expensive is a bonus.

Best wishes to all for good health and excellent blood sugars today!

Butterfly50
08-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Good morning 123 this morning and down 1/2 pound this am. So feeling pretty good. wanted to share this menu they gave me as a guide line they said I should follow. Let me say I dont agree with it I think their is too many carbs in it.

Breakfast- 1oz of ham or 1 egg or 1/4 egg substitute
1/2 cup cooked grits
1 cup frozen sugar free berries
1 piece of bread
1/2 cup celery
1tbs low fat margarine or 1/2 tbs cream cheese

Snack - Sugar free Jello

Lunch- 3 ounces of chicken with out skin
1 1/2 c cooked veggies
1 slice of bread
small apple or serving of fruit
1 tbs low soduim soy sauce
1tsp olive oil

snack- 3 cups low fat popcorn or small apple or 6 crackers

Dinner- 3 ounces of beef or fish or chicken or turkey
2 ounces cooked shrimp and 1 ounce light cheese
2/3 c cooked rice/pasta
1 1/2 c cooked broccoli

Snack- 3 graham crackers and 1 1/2 tsp peanut butter

all ends up to 1500 cal and 165 carbs a day

fatmad
08-14-2011, 10:33 AM
kjsspot with the hubby it is something we have discussed before he has these issues sometime that he gets to feeling rel bad and then i make him eat something sweet and he starts to feel better. He is very stuborn and wont go to the doctor. when he gets like that again I am gonna test and see where he is at. I am jest glad that they are starting school. Expecially the 16 year old she is the one that stresses me out the most.

pattygirl63 my insurance will pay up to 150 permonth and no more.The doc ordered me for 100 so if they change it i will have them He said to only do it once before breakfast and then before dinner. The company is sending me 10 free strips so I may do a little experminting with them. Them little strips I have cost 130.00 for 100 strips. I will have to see what I can do. I am about to go crazy.........

I had hypoglycemia (low blood sugars) for year before diabetes set in for me, and its a risk factor for developing diabetes. The actual number may not be low, but he may be going from a high to a relative low. There was one time, I had a cranberry juice with soda at a pub. It turned out to be loaded with sugar, and in a one hour period, my sugars dropped from over 12 to 5 or so. Now five isn't low, but my body thought it was after the 12. I was sick and shaky, typical problems for people with lows. SO its all relative.

What kind of meter do you have? that cost is ridiculous. Canadian prices are usually a bit higher than US, and I haven't seen anything that pricey.
Don't know what your co-pay is, but i would look into getting a different meter with cheaper strips. Surely your insurer (or medicaid? medicare?) would co-operate about that.

T

fatmad
08-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Good Morning! Back on meal schedule with fbs 95 today. Whew!

Good discussion about glucose meters. Two months ago I purchased both Accuchek and Contour. My wallet was crying with all the test strips purchased and used as I experimented with foods and exercise. I was more concerned with the different readings I obtained from the two meters. Average 15 point difference with Accuchek showing consistently lower numbers. Went to Sams to see if the strips were any cheaper there. The friendly pharmacist talked me into trying Reli-On. He proudly described how they were made in Japan. I keenly noted the pharmacist was Japanese. Anyhow, I agreed to try the Reli-On micro. He was a good salesman. The substantially lower cost was worth the try.

Well...Reli-On glucose readings were consistently higher than the other two (by this time, I was checking all three from a single deep fingerstick). Reli-On produced upward of 30 points higher than Accuchek. So I started paying attention to how I was feeling when I compared the numbers. When I suspected my bs was high, the Reli-On numbers made the most sense. Once, when I was feeling shaky hypoglycemic, all three showed bs 61-62.

In summary, I still haven't checked my numbers against the lab. Will do that in a couple of weeks when my HbA1C and FBS is drawn. To date, I believe the Reli-On has been the most accurate of all. I haven't used the other two meters for more than a month. The fact that Reli-On test strips are significantly less expensive is a bonus.

Best wishes to all for good health and excellent blood sugars today!

They are allowed to have a variance of about 10-20% from the lab values, LOL, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But thems the rules. I was unable to find any studies about which meters are more accurate, and none of the diabetes educators I have talked with recommend specific brands, except for ease of use or ability to see the numbers.
In general, if you use the same meter, you will see trends, they are accurate within themselves. It is better to pick on meter and use it consistently. People seem pretty happy with the reli-on. I also use a meter for work, but need it for testing lows in that capacity, and a 10% difference makes a clinical difference for treatment in that setting. (for newborns we want them above 3.4, and the difference between a reading of 3.0 and 2.7 would affect how I propose treating the baby) so I have been using a meter that was tested against lab values at my local hospital so that the docs I consult with are happy with that. I get 100 strips for about $80 canadian. A bit pricey, and I don't have coverage, (am keeping my diagnosis from my insurers so that I won't get dinged if my midwives association switches insurers at some point, which we are considering. )
ok, I digressed a lot from your original point, sorry to hijack you.
:hug:

fatmad
08-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Hi everyone. My fbs was a lovely 4.6 this am, wish I knew what I did right. Didn't have a bedtime snack, so maybe I have been overindulging in the evenings and should cut back. I didn't eat last night because the constipation was making me too bloated and I lost my appetite. I am having some success on that level this am. This is definitely a problem for me with atkins, and the fact that I am back on induction has made it worse. My weight loss always seems to stall with this too. When I was a kid and my mother fed me on white bread and little fibre, I had problems with constipation, and when older and switched to a more whole grains diet, I have had no problems until about 6 months after starting atkins. Metformin doesn't change that, unless I eat wheat.
I find that any and all grains spike my sugars, but it might be worth it to add a bit of wheat in. I usually manage with some fruit and some psyllium fibre capsules, but without the fruit this week, I am not doing well. This is why I can't stay on induction too long.

Ok, enough ranting. I have been enjoying taking some time and catching up with reading posts this morning. Trish, I know its hard to share a home, and its not like you all moved into a new place, they have moved into YOUR home, and thats an issue too. Hope you can find a way to make it work better, it sounds like this will go on for a while. I like how you reframe it positively, in terms of helping, and how much you are enjoying your grandkids. That makes a big difference, and I know you will be glad that you have had them for this time.

Ruth, good idea to stay away from some of the temptations. I do not have a lot of will power when things are put in front of me, but food pushers somehow manage to turn me off and make me stand my ground, more than someone who simply offers and forgets about it. I have a stubborn streak I guess. I hope the dogs are nice. I am worried about your leg. DId you have the doctor check it out? No clots to worry about? It seems to be going on for quite a while, and its not like you to complain.

A big hello to everyone else, it is lovely to have a bigger group checking in!

Butterfly50
08-14-2011, 11:15 AM
fatmad I have a contour and my copay is only 3.40 per script. Witch makes it easier to pay for but when you are needing to check it often to see how foods affect the body then they will only allow you but so many a month at that price I can't afford to pay full cost. I will check into one of the cheaper meters next month. I was talking to my husband about it and he said will have to check them out.

Riemontana
08-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Good morning!

It is a peaceful and beautiful morning here in Montana. FBS at 82 this morning and I breakfasted on a granny smith apple with a little peanut butter and 1 oz of cream cheese. That breakfast always seems luxurious to me. I love the confidence and convenience of the single serve cr cheese packets from sams. They last a long time, too. I just found these little single serve, portable peanut butter things too. I am not using them at home but they would be good when traveling.

I wasn't able to work out this morning because I am having bad muscle spasms in my back. I am hoping to avoid an emergency room trip but it was really bad last night so I just don't know. I have been trying heat/ice and ibutabs.

Fatmad, sorry for the blocked up problem. It is so uncomfortable. I never get much relief from fiber. How about a stool softener? I pretty much take one every day.

Bonnie, It seems strange to me that insurance companies are stingy about test strips but they sure are. It seems they would want us to test more often. I just want you to know, also, that testing gets easier and simpler over time. When I started it seemed like such a PROCESS. Now, I can do it on autopilot while I am talking on the phone, half asleep, or whatever. The diet they gave you looks like the standard diet. Very carb-heavy. It is the advice that your dr office is giving you. I would encourage you to make the adjustments that you think are necessary.

Also, Bonnie - I love your new avatar picture! It is really nice.

Floriduh, I think consistency within the same meter is the most important factor. My A1c seems to be verifying the numbers that I am recording daily. Glad that you are back on track and hanging out with us.

Trish, I don't seem to have any problem with oatmeal as long as I use strict portion control and pair it with protein. It just continues to amaze me that each of us is so different. Good for you on adjusting to the family issues. Living in an extended family is always tough. It is good for the kiddies, but still tough. My ds has custody of his son and they have been living with me for about 18 months. We do the best we can but it is sometimes a struggle. The only thing that has saved us is that we have worked out good communication to resolve issues as they come up.

I hope that everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend. It is nice to have so many friends checking in here. I will check back later.

Rie

Butterfly50
08-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks Rie I thought I should up date that one was taken so long ago.

Well I don't know what is going on right now But I feel sad. I am so stressed out around here for some reason today everything is on my nerves. Someone can say something and I want to take their head off. My 16 year old is the worst she has bipolar and she hits it everytime. I jest feel like sitting down and have a good cry.

I don't get what in the world is wrong with the people in this house they act like they are starvin to death. Everyone of them we have went through 5 Doz eggs in less then two weeks and a jar of peanut butter and Jam in less then a week. I dont get it . What in the world are they thinking of . We have two weeks left and money is so tight I may not be able to buy grocries in the next week . I dont know what to do with them . I swear I need a vacation with out them they all stress me out so bad..

Sorry for the vent I figured this was better then going off on someone.

kjsspot
08-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I spent many years where you're at and it's not easy but it can get better. When my sugars are out of control I'm irritable, moody, fatigued, and foggy headed. It's absolutely horrible. I spent over 10 years without health insurance and living below the poverty line. I didn't know I had diabetes and even after I found out it took me a while to get control.

So you know how to watch the sales and coupon? It does take time but there are forums that help you match the coupons and sales and those really help shave the time off. The only way we got by back then was by getting a lot of free stuff through couponing. And, we also get help occassionally from food banks as well. I learned how to be very frugal. (hubby never learned though)

Things have changed since then. I put myself through college and got a great job and now we have a nice house, insurance, plenty of groceries, and I feel so much better with my sugars under control but I spent more years where you are than where I'm at now so I do remember it very well.

Oh! And I stopped buying white bread. I know the whole wheat is more expensive but now a loaf lasts a week, not a day.

pattygirl63
08-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the encouragement everybody. I got up this morning with a whole new attitude and hope I can keep it. I was so lost with it being just DH and me living here in SC without any family. I was upset at one point that our little almot 16 month old would grow up not know his Grandad and me. I decided that while we do have differences in how we do things that the relationship with the kids is more important. I personally have kids and grandkids in different parts of the country and don't get to see them often. I am so blessed that Tony's daughter loves me like a Mom and I feel honored by the fact that she wants her children to be close to her Daddy and me. The time we will have living together will be a year or a little longer while she goes to nursing school and I want it to be a very special time for us all to get closer. So I'm going to choose to enjoy this time we have together and count it a blessing. Again, thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

pattygirl63
08-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks Rie I thought I should up date that one was taken so long ago.

Well I don't know what is going on right now But I feel sad. I am so stressed out around here for some reason today everything is on my nerves. Someone can say something and I want to take their head off. My 16 year old is the worst she has bipolar and she hits it everytime. I jest feel like sitting down and have a good cry.

I don't get what in the world is wrong with the people in this house they act like they are starvin to death. Everyone of them we have went through 5 Doz eggs in less then two weeks and a jar of peanut butter and Jam in less then a week. I dont get it . What in the world are they thinking of . We have two weeks left and money is so tight I may not be able to buy grocries in the next week . I dont know what to do with them . I swear I need a vacation with out them they all stress me out so bad..

Sorry for the vent I figured this was better then going off on someone.

Butterfly So sorry you are having to go through this especially at this time when you are adjusting to the diabetes. Feel free to vent. We don't mind. This group is good about listening to each other and sometimes coming up with ideas to help like kjsspot had.

Honest to goodness when my kids were growing up I think they thought they had to eat all the food I bought for the week in one day. I only had enough money to buy from week to week and I had to finally limit what and how much they could have for snacks. May not work in your situation, but I just had to tell them that if they ran out before the week was out that was it until next week. When grandkids moved in, I bought snacks for them and told them they can have one a day of each thing I bought to make it last. The funny thing is they seem to have adjusted to it because I noticed that they aren't running through their snacks as fast. Hope your situation gets better.

Floriduh
08-14-2011, 06:43 PM
They are allowed to have a variance of about 10-20% from the lab values, LOL

Indeed, LOL! That little 20% difference could mean 5.8 or 6.64 for the HbA1C. I am looking forward to learning which one of my three glucose meters is closest to the lab value. I figure I can't go too wrong by using the one with the highest readings. Just like you, I had searched for reviews about the most accurate meters, finding nothing in the literature. That's when I found the 20% allowable variance--eesh! Along the same lines, I would be concerned about dosing insulin in the clinical setting knowing how inaccurate the meters can be.

Bonnie--hang in there! :hug: btw--love your new avatar!

Afternoon bs 105 (using the high meter), time for my afternoon swim, then stuffed flounder w/crab and steamed broccoli florets for Sunday dinner. Best wishes to all for a good evening.

Butterfly50
08-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks Everyone I like this picture better then the other. Well as for the Family I have told them when it is gone it is gone so you have made the choice to eat it all up so when you don't have anything you can blame yourself. I am feeling better took my pre dinner reading and it was 112 and I had a Chicken breast with lots of Broccoli and Cauliflower Was great.

Hubby came in here a little while ago and said he was feeling bad wanted me to read his levels so we tested him and he was 109 and he didn't tell me till after wards he had two pieces of cake a hour ago. I was like OMG. One more day and I get much needed quiet . I have the house to myself. The kids will be in school Oh YEAH. Hopefully this will help me out alot. I will have so much time to work out and not be bothered.

Thanks everyone for listening to me vent I am feeling much better now.

Riemontana
08-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Hello all,

I am still having really bad back spasms but I managed to avoid the ER. I have really good insurance but it still costs. I plan to head to the walk in clinic tomorrow. Bummer.

Bonnie, vent all you want or need to. That's what this forum is for :hug:I think it is great that you told your family that they are responsible for their own choices. Hopefully, the kids starting school soon will get rid of your "mom stress". I remember that I was feeling very stressed and overwhelmed after I was diagnosed. It doesn't sound like your dh is diabetic....

I was a struggling single parent when my boys were in their teens. I used to feel like they just ate til the food was gone. I think that limiting their snacks is a good idea.

Trish, glad that you are feeling more balanced. Your motives are reallly good and it is certainly a worthy cause. From one "granny in the house" to another, don't hesitate to vent or seek advice here. It is still a tough situation.

Kjsspot, I agree, my volatile sugars can affect my mood. The bread tip is a good one that I learned. Also, here we have "day old bread stores" where you can buy discounted bread.

I hope that everyone else has a really good evening. TTL

Rie

Floriduh
08-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Happy Monday! fbs was...drumroll...88 this morning!

Rie--sorry to hear your back continues to bother you. I hope you get something to knock out those nasty spasms.

Best wishes to all who are sending the munchkins back to school today. Have a great day and excellent blood sugars!

Ruthxxx
08-15-2011, 08:14 AM
It's so good to see people chatting away in this thread. I really just have time to pop in for a bit most mornings. My longer posts are over in the SBD Daily chat. Feel free to snoop.

Rie, I admire the way you are so positive although I know your back may be agonizing. Hang in there - you ARE winning. Just look at your ticker!

Bonnie, I really like your new picture. I also like "Butterfly" and think of you that way. I see you have some "me" time planned when the kids head back to school. Be sure to take it!

Patty, please do continue to pop in while you go through this major life re-shuffle.

Floriduh, I can't image dealing with three different meters. I've had my Freestyle for years but think it may be time for a new one.

Fatmad, isn't it nice to have a bit of a cool-down? Had dinner last night with Dr Bob who informed me I will never have a low on Victoza. I informed him that I had been having 2.7's and he looked stunned. He suggested I check with Dr Jack about ditching the glyburide and I will do it this week. By the way, Bob is very close to determining the genetic markers for obesity and just got another grant for a three year study. He was due to retire this year but it's not going to happen.

Well, I've been procrastinating long enough and insisting it's water weight but I changed the ticker this morning. I am going back to logging my food in fitday to see if I can get a good handle on the carb/protein/fat balance. I had pasta last night with two glasses of very good wine and the reading was 3(54) this morning. :shrug: I refuse to go back up!

Have a controlled Monday, Chickies! :grouphug:

fatmad
08-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Ruth: glad you are so determined, its a good thing. I agree with dr bob, its probably time to ditch the glyburide, especially with victoza doing good things for you. I don't like hearing about those lows either. The docs I know are mostly obstetricians and family docs who do OB. I am interested in the genetics of obesity, since I did not expect it to happen to me. I know some is more own fault, but don't doubt there is genetics involved. For some reason, I thought that since I take after Dad, the genetics on Mum's side wouldn't affect me much. (thats where the obesity and diabetes comes from though. My Mum's mother's family had it in spades, as well as all kinds of autoimmune disorders.)

Butterfly: I like your new pic too!

Today fbs was 5.4, did have a large high fibre snack before bed last night. Am not backed up anymore. Tummy feels much better. I am trying to figure out what to do. I think if I eat two triscuits with cheese at bed time, the serving is small enough (6 g carbs) and the fat in the cheese will slow down the sugar entering my system, that I may not have a spike. But may help the constipation. I will allow myself up to 25 g carbs a day to accommodate the extra, and hope I can still lose weight. So thats this weeks goal.

Its not a busy week for me, (neither was last week) so it will catch up time with paper work and stuff around the office and house. DD is finished work for the summer, and is packing stuff up for going off to university. I will soon be an empty nester. :D

ttfn friends,

TamTam
08-15-2011, 09:19 AM
I have a perscription for my test strips, believe it or not it is cheaper for me to get them with a perscription! I also have a script for my lancets, is that crazy or what?!

Ruthxxx
08-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Fatmad, can you work ground flax into your plan? It sure works for me. It's 6 carbs per 2T. but full of other good stuff. Wasa Fibre Crackers are good too, more fibre but higher carbs.

As to obesity being genetic, I didn't think it was since both may parents were normal weight. However, looking at my mother's parents, they all have the Irish plumpness, Syndrome X, maybe? Interesting stuff but no excuse for not dealing with my own weight problem.

Edited to Add: Hi, Cajun. I have prescriptions for my supplies too although my Vctoza isn't covered my our Ontario Hospital Insurance Programme (OHIP).

Riemontana
08-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Good Morning all!

Fbs at n 91, probably because of a bad night sleep and I didn't have my snack last night. My back is worse today and I am waiting til I can get ahold of my dr office. Good thing I have 3fc to distract me ;)

Cajun, I have prescriptions for all my supplies. It is required for insurance and flex plan although I can purchase them without the prescriptions. Even my Abbot.com membership is based on my prescription.

Fatmad, glad that things are moving. I take 3 fibercon tablets with my protein at breakfast daily. I also take a generic stool softener. I have been thinking about integrating flax seed. I like the nutty taste.

Floriduh, nice fbs! You go girl!

Bonnie, as I said, I really like the picture. You look softer and friendly in this picture.

Ruth, is glypuride the same as glipizide? I was on it at first and I had to come off after a couple of months because I was having a low almost every night. Don't worry about your ticker, you will be back under 180 in no time.

The question about genetic tendency to obesity is interesting. In my own family, we have obese people and thin people. They don't tend to go family by family but are all mixed up. I have an obese cousin in a thin family, etc. My earlier life was as a farmer and we raised livestock, mostly cattle. The whole science of raising animals is about picking the calves from the moms and dads who have the fastest/easiest gain rate, largest muscle size, etc. In these modern times, they even pick bulls who put the most marbling (fat in the muscle) in the loins and ribeyes. They use ultrasounds to test. This tendency, as well as average weight gain per day is absolutely genetically passed on.

We always fed the same way but some animals gain easier than others. We just really haven't figured this out in humans. I think that fat is one of the last areas where it is ok to descriminate and it is a health problem that is seen as completely within the person's control. However, we all know thin people who eat like crazy and never gain a pound.

Now, obviously I believe that I can lose weight and that it is within my control. But, I accept the fact that my body tends to hold on to weight. My dr jokingly tells me that if a famine comes, I will outlast them all.:D I just have hope that someday the research will get somewhere and there will be medications that will help people like us to help our bodies help us more.

Sorry about the long rant. I have been somewhat offended by the sanctimonious attitude of some of the thin people about my weight loss. I don't think they have an appreciation for the level of struggle that it takes to foil a body that desperately wants to hold on to every calorie. Obviously, I believe that I can (we all can) do this. It is just a little harder for some of us to get the job done. I hope that someday the science will do a better job of helping us.

Rie

pattygirl63
08-15-2011, 01:23 PM
A quick flyby just to check in. I'm back to counting my carbs. I'm not starting with induction or phase 1 of anything. Just going to keep the carbs around or below 45 grams. Y'all have inspired me. I decided kids start school today and it was time for a change for me. My rebellion to counting carbs has gone tooooooo llllooonnngggg.

Had a great fun time little GS this morning. So much fun to watch him learn and figure things out. It also keeps me active keeping up with him. I think I'm going to end up enjoying having him here.

I'll be back later to read and do individuals. Going with DH to his blood doc. Just follow up I think.

Have good day and I'll catch y'all later.

Butterfly50
08-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Good afternoon to everyone! This morning I was 112 must be a good number for me I have gotten it several times. So I waited 2 hours from the beginning of my meal and tested again and it was 136 I did their recommended diet to see how it would affect me . I ate

1 egg
1/4 Dry Old fashioned Cooked oats( Cooked them in 1/2 cup water added a couple shakes of cinnamon)
1 Slice of whole wheat Sara lee Bread
1/4 Cup canned Mandarine oranges ( Used 1/4 cup cause 1/2 was over the carb amount)
and a half tsp of parkay butter

So to all you experienced ones how does this sound. How do I know if I should not eat something? They never said anything like this in class. They jest say to test before breakfast and before dinner. On friday they gave us a ticket for lunch and they had fried fish or lasagna . So I did the Lasagna and a diet Dr Pepper they tested us two hours from when we left for lunch and I was only 130. Hopefully I will catch on soon.

Thanks everyone about my new profile picture the other one was taken a few years ago when we were working out in the yard. This new one is a day me and a friend took the kids all over down town and took pics of them. Thanks everyone for the compliments I like this one better too I was having a good day.

TamTam
08-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Butterfly I was told that no food was off limit, BUT, and there is always a but I should keep my carbs within the 15g portion/portion. I usually have 2 portions for breakfast(cereal/oatmeal is one and the milk is the other) and then the rest of my meals and snacks are just one carb. serving. This morning I had 1/2 cup fiber one with milk and one egg. Lunch was a salad with vinegar. 1 oz. roast and 1/2 cup corn. Snack was 1/2 orange and 6 almonds, if I get hungry (and I only eat when I am hungry) a couple of crackers with peanut butter, supper will be the same as lunch. I was told to NEVER eat a carb. without eating a protein, hence the 6 almonds. Hope this helps.

Butterfly50
08-15-2011, 07:11 PM
CatholicCajun they told me at the nutrition class that I should only have 1 ounce protein for breakfast and 3 carbs ( a total of 45 grams) and a fat then for lunch and dinner is 3 ounces of Protein and 3 Carbs( a total of 45grams ) and a fat. For snacks they say 15 grams of carbs.

I check my levels before dinner and it was 93 that was the lowest one yet.

Floriduh
08-15-2011, 08:47 PM
I check my levels before dinner and it was 93 that was the lowest one yet.

Way to go, Bonnie!!! :cheer2:

pattygirl63
08-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Floriduh Fantastic FBG. CONGRATULATIONS!!!:carrot:

Rie Sure hope you got help for your back and it is feeling better soon. I also get tired of thin people thinking that it is so easy for us to lose weight if we would only exercise some "willpower". They haven't a clue as to what we are feeling or going through. Your info about genetics and animals were quite interesting. Kind of makes you realize there does have to be something similar when it comes to us humans. Will be interesting to see what science learns.

Ruthie I often wondered if your FBG had gone too low, but you usually said you felt okay. I also find the genetics discussion very interesting. I was thin until my 20s but I my Dad's family were big eaters and big people and my Mother's family of 8 brothers and sisters had weight problems of some sort except for 2 brothers and neither of her parents were overweight. I was always under the impression that obesity was learned from family not genetics. At least that is what I read years ago. So I look forward to hearing what the doc learns from his research.

Fatmad I seem to have accidently discovered that eatting a little something between 9 and 10 at night and take my second 1000 mg Metformin makes my FBG lower the next day. I usually have a little yogurt with small helpings of nuts and berries.

CatholicCajun When I was diagnosed with diabetes the doc gave me prescriptions for all my supplies, but I only have prescriptions for my strips now. I figured the prescription for everything the first time was to help me get started with everything I needed.

Bonnie I personally think your numbers are doing great. What you are doing seems to be working for you. I don't think you have to worry about things at all.

I think I got all of you. I'm sure I missed someone and I am so sorry as I didn't mean to.

It's late and I'm going to bed. Y'all have a great Tuesday.

fitchy
08-16-2011, 12:05 AM
Hi, all. I hope you don't mind if I join you. I have much to learn about diabetes. I was diagnosed last year, but my doc told me to just test my blood sugar randomly. It never seems to do much, and I'm curious to learn what to watch for from others who are living with diabetes. I'll be monitoring the posts but probably not saying much, since I have no clue what all this is about.

I am currently following the BFC, which is a limited carb plan that seems to be working well for me.

Thanks!

Riemontana
08-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Hello all!

Well, after the dr appointment I am on at least 24 hours of bedrest. The bad news is that this is due to an inflamation in my spine from Lupus. Every once in a while, I am reminded that I can't cure Lupus with a healthy lifestyle. I will keep on truckin, though because it's gotta help. Muscle relaxers and pain pills are making me very sleepy. At least I don't hurt. The pills really bother me but I am sure that they will help me.

Bonnie, great fbs! Good job. I think your diet sound ok, maybe a little high in carbs but that is ok if your bs comes down. I eat a lot more protein and veggies than you are eating. This morning breakfast was: one small fuji apple, 2tbs peanut butter, 1 oz cream cheese. Lunch was thin sliced turkey, one slice low carb bread, and 3 pickle slices. Supper was lean pork and portabella mushrooms stir fried, one inch slice of polenta with garlic, 1/2 large cucumber, green beans. I will have a light and fit yogurt for snack.

Fitchy, Welcome! I am so glad that you found us. Jump right in with questions or comments.

Trish, nice that you are back with us. What can we do to support you?

Cajun, I was also told the thing about always eating protein with a carb. Actually, my dr told me that, not the dietician. According to my test results, he was sure right. It makes a huge difference. I have gotten really used to eating very small amounts of peanut butter, cheese, jerky, etc.

So Ruth, you mentioned again that your victoza isn't covered by your plan. I thought Canada had universal health insurance? Is it different by province? I take Januvia and my dr was concerned that it wouldn't be covered but it is and it has kept my sugar so stable.

Fatmad, I thought because I look like my mom's family (my body type) that I would avoid dad's diabetes. No such luck. There are very strong autoimune disorders on both sides of my family. I apparently drew the bad genes.Oh well!

I know that I am missing people but my foggy head isn't helping. I will try to do better tomorrow.

Rie

fatmad
08-16-2011, 07:56 PM
This article was published in the Toronto Star newpaper.

Being fat doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re in poor health.

Or so suggests a study done by Jennifer Kuk, a York University assistant professor in the School of Kinesiology and Health

Science in the Faculty of Health.

“Not all obese individuals have poor health,” Kuk told the Star. “Conversely not all normal weight individuals have good health. You can have normal weight individuals who have high blood pressure, diabetes and poor lifestyle.”

Kuk and her team looked at 6,000 obese Americans comparing them to 23,000 healthy individuals.

The participants in the study were part of a 16 year longitudinal study done in Dallas Texas. Each underwent a preventative health exam.

Kuk and her team of researchers categorized the obese individuals using the Edmonton Obesity Staging System (EOSS) which was developed at the University of Alberta.

Individuals were classified according to their health risk using physical, psychological, and physiological symptoms and divided into four stages.

In the EOSS classification scheme, individuals who have an elevated weight but no other health issues are placed into a group called Stage 0. Stage 1 individuals have the beginning of some risk factors such as hypertension or high blood sugar that hasn’t developed into diabetes. In Stage 2 individuals have obesity-related diseases that can include hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease. Stage 3 individuals have actual organ damage such as a heart attack, diabetic complications, a stroke and depression. They may even have shortness of breath while sleeping.

The study, published Monday in the journal of Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, found those in Stage 0 and 1 of the EOSS had a similar risk of dying as normal weight individuals. And in some cases may even be healthier than those individuals.

“They actually had a lower risk of dying from cardiovascular causes such as stroke, heart attacks and heart failures than normal weight individuals,” Kuk said.

This could be attributed to the fact people in these groups had stable body weight and they less weight loss over their lifetime. They also tended to lose weight less frequently than those in other categories of EOSS.

Frequent yo-yo dieting and weight loss can put someone’s health under stress, Kuk said. “The process of going up and down is stressful for your body. It can be mentally stressful and these individuals have a higher risk of dying from heart disease and cancer.”

Also, when the body gains weight back after dieting it tends to put on fat rather than muscle, she said.

The individuals who were in Stage 0 and Stage 1 of EOSS “tend to have a high fitness level and they consume a lot of fruits and….”

“This just reinforces some of the evidence out there that shows weight loss that has failed repeatedly can actually be worse off for you than an elevated body weight.”

Not every individual who is obese needs to lose weight, Kuk said.

“Individuals should focus on improving their health by engaging in physical activity and having a healthy diet.”

As far as Kuk is concerned, those who are obese but fall within the Stage 0 and Stage 1 category of EOSS might not benefit at all from losing weight.

“You can’t just look at the scale and make a diagnosis based on that alone. You need to look at the whole patient.”

The National Institutes of Health in the United States recommends that anyone with a BMI (body mass index) of above 30 lose weight. Canada has similar guidelines, said Kuk.

But this study suggests that might not actually be the best practice.

Riemontana
08-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Hey All!

I complied with dr orders today. I feel woozy and weak on the meds but my pain is considerably better. I don't do so well when I am home sick - I get lonely. It is weird because I don't get that way usually. Maybe its because I am being forced to be alone, rather than choosingit.:?:

I ate sparingly today and did pretty well. I focused on fresh veggies and a little fruit with small amounts of protein. For the first time in a long while, I could have gone all munchy this afternoon. I didn't.Yay me. I ate a wonderslim bar and it passed. I figured that the 16 carbs and 130 calories was a good bargain, given my cravings. I still only had about 1100 calories for the day. That's ok because I haven't done anything physical since friday.

Fatmad, I like that article. There was a similar study in the us not long ago with similar results. I was one of those "healthy fat" people for a long time. Then last year, at our annual health screening, I had borderline blood pressure and high cholesteral. Within a few months, I had raging diabetes. My first A1c was 13.8 :( Basically, I was a healthy fat person, then I wasn't. However, most of my family is obese and we have a history of living a long time. No heart disease, or cholesteral, strokes, or cancer. We tend to get thinner as we get older but we spend most of our lives as very large people. Interesting article.

Hi Fitchy! Welcome! Feel free to read posts here or jump in and ask questions. Whatever works for you. We have some experienced people here and some newbies. Anyway, Hello:D

To Bonnie, Ruth, Cajun, Trish, and anyone else I might have missed. I will post in the morning.

Rie

Ruthxxx
08-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Good morning. I'm glad things have improved a bit for you, Rie.

Another silly low of 2.7 this morning after a carby dinner. :shrug: Blueberries, cheese and ww crackers should fix that.

Wannabehealthy
08-17-2011, 10:58 AM
This article was published in the Toronto Star newpaper.

Being fat doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re in poor health.

Or so suggests a study done by Jennifer Kuk, a York University assistant professor in the School of Kinesiology and Health

Science in the Faculty of Health.

“Not all obese individuals have poor health,” Kuk told the Star. “Conversely not all normal weight individuals have good health. You can have normal weight individuals who have high blood pressure, diabetes and poor lifestyle.”

Kuk and her team looked at 6,000 obese Americans comparing them to 23,000 healthy individuals.

The participants in the study were part of a 16 year longitudinal study done in Dallas Texas. Each underwent a preventative health exam.

Kuk and her team of researchers categorized the obese individuals using the Edmonton Obesity Staging System (EOSS) which was developed at the University of Alberta.

Individuals were classified according to their health risk using physical, psychological, and physiological symptoms and divided into four stages.

In the EOSS classification scheme, individuals who have an elevated weight but no other health issues are placed into a group called Stage 0. Stage 1 individuals have the beginning of some risk factors such as hypertension or high blood sugar that hasn’t developed into diabetes. In Stage 2 individuals have obesity-related diseases that can include hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease. Stage 3 individuals have actual organ damage such as a heart attack, diabetic complications, a stroke and depression. They may even have shortness of breath while sleeping.

The study, published Monday in the journal of Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, found those in Stage 0 and 1 of the EOSS had a similar risk of dying as normal weight individuals. And in some cases may even be healthier than those individuals.

“They actually had a lower risk of dying from cardiovascular causes such as stroke, heart attacks and heart failures than normal weight individuals,” Kuk said.

This could be attributed to the fact people in these groups had stable body weight and they less weight loss over their lifetime. They also tended to lose weight less frequently than those in other categories of EOSS.

Frequent yo-yo dieting and weight loss can put someone’s health under stress, Kuk said. “The process of going up and down is stressful for your body. It can be mentally stressful and these individuals have a higher risk of dying from heart disease and cancer.”

Also, when the body gains weight back after dieting it tends to put on fat rather than muscle, she said.

The individuals who were in Stage 0 and Stage 1 of EOSS “tend to have a high fitness level and they consume a lot of fruits and….”

“This just reinforces some of the evidence out there that shows weight loss that has failed repeatedly can actually be worse off for you than an elevated body weight.”

Not every individual who is obese needs to lose weight, Kuk said.

“Individuals should focus on improving their health by engaging in physical activity and having a healthy diet.”

As far as Kuk is concerned, those who are obese but fall within the Stage 0 and Stage 1 category of EOSS might not benefit at all from losing weight.

“You can’t just look at the scale and make a diagnosis based on that alone. You need to look at the whole patient.”

The National Institutes of Health in the United States recommends that anyone with a BMI (body mass index) of above 30 lose weight. Canada has similar guidelines, said Kuk.

But this study suggests that might not actually be the best practice.

I like this article, and I know it's true. Unfortunately, I am a stage 2. All my adult life I was aware of the obesity and medical problems that run in my family, and until my 40's I was thin, fit and healthy. I could give you a list of factors that caused me to come undone, but it all boils down to "I let it happen." I knew I was gaining weight. My eating changed and I quit exercising. I didn't like it but I didn't do anything about it. Around age 50, the medical problems started and have escalated over the past 15 years. I was not surprised as I am a replica of my Mother. At this point, I know I cannot undo the problems I have with my heart, but my heart would have an easier job if I lost this weight for good and got back to exercising. I know how to do this, but I guess I need someone to give me a good smack on the behind! LOL

Thank you for posting this. Maybe these facts will get me into action instead of just talking about it.

Carol

Riemontana
08-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Hello All

fbs at 83 this morning. I just finished my apple breakfast. I still can't work out although I would like to. My back is twinging a little but I think it is getting better.

Ruth, I am really concerned about all those lows. Have you talked to your dr yet?

Carol, I think the important thing is that you are doing it now!

Rie

Floriduh
08-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Rie--glad to learn your back spasms are getting better. Those meds are designed to make you loopy so you won't do silly things like sit, bend, stoop over, etc.

fatmad--Thanks much for posting the study. Nice sample size over an extended period of time gives more reliability to the results.

Ruth--I'm going to hate when the blueberries are out of season. They have been fabulous this year.

Fitchy--Welcome! It's always great to have a new voice in the discussion. Lots of us have lots to learn.

FBS 107, then bs 72 after big bowl of peach slices & blueberries w/light whipped cream and plain greek yogurt followed by a good workout in the pool. Have been getting in the pool 2x/day lately, and it is doing good things for my body! Best wishes to all for good health and excellent blood sugars today.

Ruthxxx
08-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Yes, Rie, I have talked to him about the lows and he thinks I should be eating more carbs. :shrug: He also told me I could cut the gliburide (glipizde?) if I wanted. Doctor Bob thinks I should do that but keeps reminding me that he's not my primary physician.

Carol, I think you and I have a lot in common. Keep posting and I'll smack your butt for you if you reciprocate!

TamTam
08-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Hello all. FBS was 119 this morning so not too bad, wish that were my weight instead!!!! Anyway looking forward to my FBS getting under 100, not my weight though! Hope you all have a blessed day.

pattygirl63
08-17-2011, 09:55 PM
I tried several times yesterday to do indies and then hit reply and it never took. I'm hoping it will go through tonight although I don't have time to do indies. Will do them as soon as I can. DH goes to see a surgeon tomorrow to see about having a place removed from his ear. Doc says it is benign but it can grow bigger. DH wants to deal with it ASAP. I will try to get back and do indies tomorrow night or Friday.

My FBG was 111 this morning. Sure hope I can keep it there.

Y'all have a good evening and a great Thursday tomorrow.

Ruthxxx
08-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Pattie, don't fret about no time for indies. I initially read that as "undies"! :rofl: It's just good to have you checking in.

This has not been a good week for food control with yet another meal down at the cottage with the Pypers last night. Steak, salad, tomatoes and then a piece of cheesecake! However, BGL was 3.7 this morning so no damage done.

I have not been exercising for the past two months and I really miss it. (I never thought I'd say that!) I'm hoping my doc will give me some hints about reducing the pain and swelling in my screwed up leg - 2½ weeks is long enough - and that I'll be able to use the treadmill a bit soon.

Happy "Thirst-day" - Drink your water!

JingerBird
08-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Hi everyone, I am new also. My diabetes has gone pretty much unchecked since I first found out I had it 5 years ago but I am finally ready to accept my "illness". Diabetes is a disease of compliance and I am here and compliant! You all give wonderful advice. I'm feeling a bit ill right now - headache etc. I have cut my carbs right back so I am suffering a bit but I should be fine in a few days. I have already begun to see my glucose levels falling even only after a few days, just hope the weight heads in the same directions.

Ruthxxx
08-18-2011, 08:38 AM
:welcome: Jinger! Yes, I took a long time to accept my diagnosis too but we do what we have to do. Carb cutting is difficult at first. Just be sure that the carbs you DO eat are good ones, but I'm sure you already know that.

Floriduh
08-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Hi Jingerbird! Welcome aboard! :welcome3:

It was only 3 months ago when I went through carb detox. Same as you, I had headaches. Those days were fuzzy during withdrawal, but the withdrawal ended quickly enough. Hang in there! Indeed, you will be feeling better very soon.

WOW! I just noticed you have already lost 100 lbs! You have come a long way already! Congratulations to you for your fantastic progress in this journey.

Riemontana
08-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Good Morning!

fbs at 82 this morning. I had a low cal/carb supper last night but I realized that the bottle of metformin that I keep in my purse was empty.:( I took it at bedtime with a carton of greek yogurt and I was ok. Interesting, because without taking the 6pm dose, my fbs was at 81 at 10pm.:dizzy:

Hi Jinger! Welcome :hug: Congrats on losing 100 pounds. Wow. That is terrific. When you have time, tell us a little more about you.

Ruth, the supper doesn't sound too terribly bad, even with the cheesecake treat. I hope the dr has answers for you.

Trish, don't worry about not getting personals done. Just glad to know that you are hanging out with us.

Cajun, you are doing really well. Good for you!

Floriduh, I still envy you the fruit. I can almost taste those peaches... Yum

To all others. Have a great thursday!

Rie

Wannabehealthy
08-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Yes, Rie, I have talked to him about the lows and he thinks I should be eating more carbs. :shrug: He also told me I could cut the gliburide (glipizde?) if I wanted. Doctor Bob thinks I should do that but keeps reminding me that he's not my primary physician.

Carol, I think you and I have a lot in common. Keep posting and I'll smack your butt for you if you reciprocate!

:club:

Ruth, consider yourself smacked! LOL

Carol

JingerBird
08-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Its 6 years ago when I lost most of the weight and I have managed to keep it off. The Dr's think that is why I now have diabetes, I only got it after I lost the weight.
Its far more difficult to lose now though. Everytime I go to the Dr's, they stick another pill on top of what I am taking. I decided 2 weeks ago enough was enough. The pills make me put on weight and they didn't have significant impact on glucose levels. I have stopped taking them all now except for Metformin. Like I said earlier, b.s have started to drop already.
Thanx for all your kind welcomes. I hope to achieve along with you. Together we are stronger and more informed!

Ruthxxx
08-18-2011, 02:28 PM
We get too soon old and too late smart! Despite all my arguments, I did really hurt my leg.

The doc suspected an undislocated break and sent me to the hospital for an X-ray. The technician looked at the results and said "No wonder it hurts!" The doc gets the official word this afternoon from the lab but probably will recommend rest, elevation and massage, I'm sure. I had a broken arm (same type of break but the results got buggered up somehow) and survived moving into a new condo without dying so I'm sure I can handle this for the next four weeks.

pattygirl63
08-19-2011, 01:23 AM
Jinger :welcome3: Glad to have you with us and glad your numbers are coming down. Great job losing 100 lbs.

Ruthie You are so cute. You gave me a real laugh with the undies:dizzy: Glad you finally get help for your leg and hope it heals nicely.

Rie Thanks. Hope you are feeling a lot better.

DH has surgery to remove the place on his ear on the 29th. Doc said that he wanted to have it tested. Since Tony doesn't have any other places he doesn't expect it to be a recurring thing but wants to be sure.

It has been a long and busy day and my eating has probably been too carby so not sure about tomorrows reading. Will have to see.

Just noticed it is after midnight so I'm going to bed. Catch y'all later.

Ruthxxx
08-19-2011, 07:25 AM
I know it's mental but my leg hurts more now that I know it's broken! Silly brain!

BGL 4.7 this morning. I had sausage and peppers in a a bun followed by too many cherries for dinner and expected it higher. I do have several healthier meal options in the freezer now and am going to focus on eating for healing rather than weightloss because I really want to get back to the gym in September.

(I'm not sure how the weekend food will go - I have dinner down at the Lake with the Pypers tonight and a gourmet dinner at the Mill tomorrow but will do my best. Breakfast and lunch are still fully under my control.)

No "undies" this morning! :rofl:

Wannabehealthy
08-19-2011, 09:41 AM
I can't believe August is half over already. This summer really flew by!

DH and I eat out a lot because we don't like the same foods. I used to just make and eat what he liked but I got tired of that, so it makes it easier for us to pick what we want off a menu. He is a meat and potatoes guy, preferring steak, roast beef, fried potatoes etc. I rarely eat beef. For some reason, after a recent surgery I can hardly stand the taste of it. I prefer fish and chicken, baked or grilled. Or I get a grilled chicken salad. I am also learning to eyeball the portions and get a take-out box for leftovers. It's nice to have them for lunch the next day. My biggest downfall is bread/rolls. I know I should leave them, but it's a battle every time.

Carol

fatmad
08-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Ruth, I am so glad you finally went to the doc about your leg. hope you feel better soon.
I am hoping to get into the chiropractor today, having lots of headaches, so I hope an adjustment will help. DOn't want to take too much tylenol. (allergic to aspirin and advil and the like) .
Happy Friday everyone

Riemontana
08-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Happy Friday!

fbs at 83 this morning. It seems to be my consistent morning reading. In fact, I have been in the mid 80's for days. I still can't work out because of my back. Yesterday I went to a chiropracter for the first time. I didn't feel better last night but I hope that it helps me to feel better.

Fatmad, I hope that the adjustment causes you to feel better

Ruth, :(:hug: So sorry about your leg and hoping for a fast recovery. I am glad that you are planning to eat well for your recovery. Did they put you in a boot or walking cast?

Carol, I hear you on the bread and rolls trouble. They make their own dinner rolls where I work and the smell just makes me crazy. I want them so bad. Actually, I could have a single roll but it makes me so hungry to eat them.

Trish, hoping for good news for you dh. It sounds like you are managing the food choices really well.

Jinger, glad to hear a little more about your story. I must admit that I have never heard of anyone getting diabetes from losing a lot of weight.

Yesterday a friend told me that her husband's diabetes educator set up an eating plan for him that recommended 65 carbs per meal and 25 carbs for snacks. I couldn't believe it. Granted, he is about 6'4" and about 300 pounds. But wow, that is a lot of carbs. The guy is on insulin and januvia. I didn't say much but I was pretty amazed.

Have a great Friday. TTL

Rie

Wannabehealthy
08-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Happy Friday!
Yesterday a friend told me that her husband's diabetes educator set up an eating plan for him that recommended 65 carbs per meal and 25 carbs for snacks. I couldn't believe it. Granted, he is about 6'4" and about 300 pounds. But wow, that is a lot of carbs. The guy is on insulin and januvia. I didn't say much but I was pretty amazed.

Have a great Friday. TTL

Rie

Yes, that is a lot of carbs! Too many for me! I can barely eat any carbs without spiking my glucose, except for vegetables. Sometimes I think that when you are on insulin you just adjust your insulin to accomodate, but I really don't know anything about insulin, so please don't anyone jump me for saying that if I'm wrong!

Carol

pattygirl63
08-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Just a quick flyby. Those of you who are feeling bad, I sure hope you get to feeling better soon. Busy weekend ahead. Church ladies monthly meeting and brunch is tomorrow. It is a tea party. Hope to get back to small groups Sunday night.

Just wanted to drop by and say I hope everyone has a great weekend.

JingerBird
08-19-2011, 06:46 PM
I have also never heard of anyone getting diabetes from losing weight. Not sure the English medical profession are as clued up as American dr's. I was also told to stop eating fruit because it would make me put on weight. What and a Mars bar will make me skinny. I don't pay too much attention to them but plan my own route through life instead. Thanx for all your welcomes. At last people I can be honest with!
Hope you all have a great weekend, the weather here is terrible. Looks like I will need to find something in doors to occupy me X

Riemontana
08-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Just a quick post:

Today I met up with a friend who has moved away. He was in town for a couple days. We went to our favorite asian restaurant. I had fresh shrimp and vegetable rolls in rice paper, and bulgogi (Korean barbque) beef. I only ate a tiny portion of the rice. My blood sugar hardly raised at all.

Sometimes it is really nice to realize that I can handle my "responsiblities" in a restaurant setting. A year ago, I would have been in a panic. Just wanted to share that it gets easier.

Have a really good evening

Rie

Ruthxxx
08-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Sometimes it is really nice to realize that I can handle my "responsiblities" Good stuff, Rie. This is not an illness but a fact of life. It took me a long time to come to that conclusion and accept it.

The leg is still pretty sore - the doctor and x-ray techie poking and prodding probably added to that. I have a compression stocking on it (leftover from my knee operation) and am spending as much time as possible with it elevated. No splint or cast needed as the bone has already begun to heal.

BGL has been fine despite the stress of an injury. I have even had dessert twice this week! I've had dinner down at the Lake with the Pypers four times and have kept the BGL fairly stable. The weight has been stuck but I expect the ticker to change next week. I have a film festival dinner and my nephew's wedding next weekend and want to feel a little slimmer even if it's only a pound or two. The scale is a tyrant and should not govern how we feel! I guess it's time for a revolution. :lol:

On we go into a healthy and active weekend, the second last one in August. Where the heck did summer go? :shrug: .

Butterfly50
08-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Hey ladies I am able to check in cause we took the kids to mickey D's for the internet. Been doing good My number's are usually under 120 I had a 130 one morning but I know it was because I had a late start . I hope everyone is doing good I have been walking every night two miles. It was hard but I feel so much better when I am done.
I reg my contour and they sent me 50 free test strips. But over all I jest wanted to let you all know I am doing good. My scale told me I lost 10 pounds so I am doing good.
I can read all the post on my phone but it wont let me sign in and post anything. Till next time I get to a internet connection.

fatmad
08-20-2011, 08:26 PM
butterfly, glad to hear from you!
Have older DD here for the night, she is at a friend's wedding today, and tomorrow we will travel to Niagara for a family picnic. I will have my annual treats, Uncle John's fresh picked corn on the cob (he's a farmer and grows it) and auntie's butter tarts and cherry pie. I will have one of each and just enjoy. Otherwise I will eat carefully and healthfully. Taking lots of good stuff, like devilled eggs, Cauliflower "potato" salad, and a quinoa tabouli.
I am staying overnight at Dad's place, he wants me to be a co-signer on his bank account so that if he has health problems again, or passes away, we won't have problems accessing his money. He is so thoughtful. He had some problems about it when my mother died. My sister was very responsible and honest when he was so sick 2 years ago. (she did the finances and I did the medical decisions). So we will both be cosigners, and will do our best to be responsible and honest for as long as he lives. It is very trusting of him, and we want to honour him for it.
Ruth, hope your leg keeps getting better, and Rie, I am so glad things are going well for you.
a big hello to everyone else. I am enjoying reading all the posts.
have a great weekend

Ruthxxx
08-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Good morning. It's been a week of too many meals away from home but the flurry is over until next weekend when I have a dinner and film festival Friday and my nephew's wedding on Saturday! FBGL has been on the low side and I think that's because of drinking wine. My ticker is lying again but I'm expecting it to smarten up as my eating gets back to normal.

Despite the convenience, I have now sworn off frozen commercial dinners. They are way too high in salt and also too low in protein and veggies. I managed to replenish my own freezer stash last week and will continue to cook double and freeze half.

Have a great Sunday, Chickies! Be nice to your body. I am planning a good leg massage with body cream. That will make my poor leg feel better.

fatmad
08-21-2011, 08:20 AM
good morning. My weight is according to signature, and all is well here. Just finishing my salad and packing the car for the trip to Niagara. Struggling with breakfast, so will have an atkins bar, I think, just can't manage cooking on top of other stuff. Happy Sunday everyone.
Ruth: give you leg a good rub. I like traumheel or arnica to rub on sore stuff, and the voltaren emulgel is also good for reducing pain. The first two are homeopathics, and I know not everyone believes in it, but I do find they reduce swelling and inflammation and reduce pain, so use them, even if its all in my head. Feel better soon.

Wannabehealthy
08-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Just a quick post:

Today I met up with a friend who has moved away. He was in town for a couple days. We went to our favorite asian restaurant. I had fresh shrimp and vegetable rolls in rice paper, and bulgogi (Korean barbque) beef. I only ate a tiny portion of the rice. My blood sugar hardly raised at all.

Sometimes it is really nice to realize that I can handle my "responsiblities" in a restaurant setting. A year ago, I would have been in a panic. Just wanted to share that it gets easier.

Have a really good evening

Rie

Rie, you do very well with both your BS and your weight. I commend you. I KNOW what I should be doing, but I give in to temptation so easily. My BS is so out of control and I know what to do about it but I just don't. The carbs are always calling me. They are also keeping me from losing, but I'm always going to do it tomorrow.

Carol

Ruthxxx
08-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Thanks, MAD. I do have Emugel and am about to try it. I had forgotten how good that stuff was but used on my knee. Happy Niagara!

Carol, is it time for butt kick? :kickbutt:

Riemontana
08-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Hello All!

I didn't post yesterday as I was busy with family stuff. My youngest ds, dil, and gs are here for a quick trip. My back is controlled with the meds but they do make me tired :( fbs at 91 this morning. I fell asleep last night and forgot to test or eat my snack.

I had a difficult moment with my folks last night. We had a barbque. I made the chicken, some new potatoes, and marinated veggie salad. We also had fresh cucumbers. Mom maid two loaves of fresh bread. I loaded up my plate with veggies, a small portion of potatoes, and a piece of chicken. My mom offered me bread, twice. I politely refused. She offered it again, and I explained that I couldn't have bread because I wanted to enjoy a small piece of her rubarb pie. She was offended and told me that I was being too rigid. It was tough. My dad (who is diabetic) was sitting across the table eating multiple pieces of bread and finished with large desert portions. It hurt my feelings. Oh well, I don't think she understands it. I also think that sometimes they feel like I am judging or rejecting them. It still hurts, though.

I am off for morning activities. I will be back for personals. Thanks for letting me vent.

Rie

Ruthxxx
08-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Venting is good. It would be very hard for me to argue about food with my mother. I'm still afraid of her and she's been dead for ten years! Coming here is a good way to handle it. :yay: Rie!

Ruthxxx
08-22-2011, 06:04 AM
Woke at three this morning and felt like my BGL was low. Tested and it was 5.3 - a high reading for me. :shrug: Maybe it was the sound of a pound leaving that woke me. ;) Good riddance.

Here we go with another week of taking control of our health.

Floriduh
08-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Ruth--congrats for losing another pound! How is your fracture doing today?

Rie--I really understand what you are going through with the family dynamics. It can be impossibly frustrating! My mother called yesterday and asked how my weight loss was coming along. When I told her 23 lbs lost, she said I still have a long way to go. What can you say? I said, "Thanks, Mom."

Carol-- :dust: Getting off the bad carbs was perhaps the most difficult challenge of my life. You can do it!

Bonnie--Fantastic news about your 10lb weight loss! :bravo:

Blood sugars doing very well over the past several days. fbs 91 this morning, 97 yesterday. Staying with the program. Had the usual plain greek yogurt and big bowl of sliced peach and blueberries w/whipped cream this morning. Off to the pool for morning workout.

Best wishes to all for a great week and excellent blood sugars!

Wannabehealthy
08-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Hello All!

I had a difficult moment with my folks last night. We had a barbque. I made the chicken, some new potatoes, and marinated veggie salad. We also had fresh cucumbers. Mom maid two loaves of fresh bread. I loaded up my plate with veggies, a small portion of potatoes, and a piece of chicken. My mom offered me bread, twice. I politely refused. She offered it again, and I explained that I couldn't have bread because I wanted to enjoy a small piece of her rubarb pie. She was offended and told me that I was being too rigid. It was tough. My dad (who is diabetic) was sitting across the table eating multiple pieces of bread and finished with large desert portions. It hurt my feelings. Oh well, I don't think she understands it. I also think that sometimes they feel like I am judging or rejecting them. It still hurts, though.

I am off for morning activities. I will be back for personals. Thanks for letting me vent.

Rie

Rie, I so admire you for being "too rigid." I need to be that way, but I find I am more like your Dad, which is not good for either of us. You are doing the right thing, so don't let them get you down. Your mother probably feels that her diabetic husband eats that stuff and he's fine, but someday he might not be as a result of it.

For the past week or 2 I have been getting FBS readings in the 140's. I know I don't eat right all the time, but I didn't think I was doing bad enough to have readings that high. This morning I opened a new cannister of strips and did a control test. After that I tested and my FBS was 126. Still not good, but so much better than I had been getting. I'm wondering if it was the strips. They weren't expired, but it could have been that I just needed fresh ones.

Carol

Venting is good. It would be very hard for me to argue about food with my mother. I'm still afraid of her and she's been dead for ten years! Coming here is a good way to handle it. :yay: Rie!

Ruth, I was always afraid of my mother, too. What's that about? She is the closest relative we have, we shouldn't be afraid of her. I think it's a woman thing, because DH said he and his brothers were never afraid of their mother. She used to chase them around the house hitting them over the head with things, and they just laughed at her. LOL

Floriduh, thank you for the Willpower Dust. I really need it!

Carol

Riemontana
08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Happy Monday!

fbs at 80 this morning after a restful nights sleep. I did 40 minutes of aerobics this morning and now I am eating my breakfast with that post-workout glow. It feels good to get back into working out. I plan to keep it at about 40 minutes per day for a few days to avoid a return of my back pain.

Thanks for the support with my family situation yesterday. It is nice to have a safe place to vent feelings....

The weekend brought a last minute visit with my youngest ds, dil and gs. It was really nice. My dil, who is prediabetic has lost 37 pounds on my eating plan. Ds has lost also. It made me feel good. I watched with some satisfaction as both my gs's chose to eat fresh broccoli and cucumbers for snacks. They are learning more healthy ways that I did as a kid.

Ruth, congrats on the pound leaving! If your 3am test was a little high, do you think that is happening all the time - thus your low morning readings? Is your fracture healing?

Carol, I don't know if test strips get old. I know that sometimes I will get a high reading if I don't lance well. Last week I almost freaked out over a reading of 214! It turns out that I just didn't lance deep enough and I think it was testing the lotion on my skin. The repeat test was 85. I go through strips so fast that I don't think they could get old. Hopefully your readings will come back into line.

Floriduh, good results! I wish I could use a pool for my morning workouts. I guess I will just have to stick with my aerobics. LOL. Sounds like your mom can join mine as the queens of the backhanded compliments. I know they mean well:?: I work really hard at being a supportive mom to my kids but I am sure that I say the wrong thing sometimes.

Bonnie, hope that you are hanging in there. That weight is gonna continue to come off. I'm so glad that you can read posts from your phone.

Fatmad, hoping that you are enjoying the beginning of the week. How lovely that you and your sis can work together to give your dad some peace of mind. I'll bet the picnic was wonderful!

Good luck and good bs control to everyone! I am off to begin the week.

Rie

TamTam
08-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Morning all. FBS down from 131 to 127. Went eat out yesterday today being my birthday ate at Texas de Brazil, they serve mostly meats and have a nice salad bar, I did have dessert, it was heavenly, had not had anything like that in a looooong time so it was thoroughly enjoyed. Had breakfast this morning at Huddle House with one of my managers and BFF Cheryl and will not eat again until late this afternoon. Hope you all have a blessed day.

Wannabehealthy
08-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Happy Monday!

Carol, I don't know if test strips get old. I know that sometimes I will get a high reading if I don't lance well. Last week I almost freaked out over a reading of 214! It turns out that I just didn't lance deep enough and I think it was testing the lotion on my skin. The repeat test was 85. I go through strips so fast that I don't think they could get old. Hopefully your readings will come back into line.
Rie

Rie, a while back before I retired, I was using One Touch and I had 2 meters..one I used at home and one I carried with me to work. I suspected something was off, so one day I tested with both meters at the same time. The readings were 20 points different. I did a control test on both meters with no change. So I got out a new canister of strips and tested both with the new strips and the readings were only a few points different. I don't usually test more than twice a day, so it takes me a while to use the strips. The strips weren't expired, but were close to it.

Carol

pattygirl63
08-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Hi Everyone, Another quick one today. It seems like my life is not my own lately.

Ruthie Hooray for the lb gone. It does seem to take longer these days.

CC HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Today is my birthday too. I hope you've had a really great birthday and have many, many more.

Rie Sorry about your Mom. My Mama had weight problems too so she was more supportive. We were always looking for something that would help us lose weight. My late hubbies Grandmother was always sending me ads from Sunday's Parade magazine for some new diet. She and one of my aunts were always looking for new diets for me that they "just knew" would be the one. My aunt just knew that if I would take some pill that would cause you to lose weight while you sleep would work for me. I laughed and thought how nice that would be but of course I knew it wouldn't. Had a doc one time who told me that if they ever came up with a magic pill that I would be one of the 1st people he would call. It sure didn't help my feelings. I know they were trying to help, but it always made me feel like I didn't quite measure up. I just loved them and went on.

Fatmad Enjoy you Niagra Falls trip. DH took me there a few years ago and I loved it. Canada, especially Niagara, was a place that I never dreamed I would ever see. It was awesome to me.

Well, I've managed to make today my turn to use the washer and dryer and I've got to go hand some clothes and put the others in to dray.

Sorry about those I missed, but I am thinking of y'all. I hope everybody is having a great day.

Ruthxxx
08-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Good morning. BGL 5.3 again after a good night of sleep. Yesterday I felt really tired but an hour's nap in the afternoon really helped. (The dogs liked it too because the only time they are allowed on my bed is nap time.) I planned my three meals and ate exactly what I planned. Since it's in season, I've been eating a bit more fruit (peaches and plums) which may account for the higher than normal (for me) FBGLs.

Today will be a bit of a challenge as I have two morning appointments in town - the last one in an office above the dreaded Chinese Buffet at 11:30. :yikes: I will take along some cheese, crackers and fruit but really will need lots of :dust:

The leg is feeling better - it did not wake me up with pain for a change. Healing certainly takes much longer as we get older. I'm pushing the Vit C and also using that Emugel to get the blood away from the bruising and back where it belongs!

Wannabehealthy
08-23-2011, 08:39 AM
CC HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Today is my birthday too. I hope you've had a really great birthday and have many, many more.

Happy Birthday to you, too, Trish! It's always neat when you find someone who has the same birthday as you!

Carol

Wannabehealthy
08-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Good morning. BGL 5.3 again after a good night of sleep. Yesterday I felt really tired but an hour's nap in the afternoon really helped. (The dogs liked it too because the only time they are allowed on my bed is nap time.) I planned my three meals and ate exactly what I planned. Since it's in season, I've been eating a bit more fruit (peaches and plums) which may account for the higher than normal (for me) FBGLs.

Today will be a bit of a challenge as I have two morning appointments in town - the last one in an office above the dreaded Chinese Buffet at 11:30. :yikes: I will take along some cheese, crackers and fruit but really will need lots of :dust:

The leg is feeling better - it did not wake me up with pain for a change. Healing certainly takes much longer as we get older. I'm pushing the Vit C and also using that Emugel to get the blood away from the bruising and back where it belongs!

Hi Ruth,
I'm glad to hear the leg is feeling better. I have arthritis in one knee and really have to baby it or I get crippled up for a few days.

My dog is also only allowed on the bed at naptime. But if it storms during the night he gets scared and DH lets him come into bed with us. LOL Like a little kid.

Carol

fatmad
08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi everyone. We had a lovely family picnic on Sunday, and I had a good visit with Dad. I just had a late supper of soup as the 5 hours of picnicking was grazing. I did eat the treats I had planned to eat, and no guilt about it. But spoke with my uncle who lost 100 lbs on south beach a few years ago, and has kept it off. He had a heart surgery and had to lose the weight, after a lifetime of being obese. He is doing well. He doesn't eat at all at the picnic. He says he overdoes it and has trouble getting back on track. So he eats a late brunch, and eats a planned meal at home. Of course I can't do that, couldn't go 6 hours without food, but I could bring my own food. I am not sure about that approach, but it may be one strategy if I want to lose a few more pounds.
The weather was pretty good, until about 5 pm, when we had a downpour, and packed up to go. We were fortunate to just have a big rain, Goderich, a town on Lake Huron, had a tornado that caused a lot of damage to the town.
I know we don't talk politics here, but most of our country is in mourning, having lost a respected public servant, the leader of our opposition, to cancer yesterday. Even those who didn't agree with his politics admired him. So we went to a vigil last night, and had big sadness. Interestingly, although it dominates the news here in Canada, the US and international news has nothing about it. But his final words about love being better than anger, hope is better than fear, and optimism is better than despair, is such a beautiful epithet, that I wanted to share it. If you want to google Jack Layton to read about it, you will be inspired. Those words work for so much more than politics, but for anyone having a struggle and working toward a better or healthier future.
Ruth, tell me if I am being out of line with sharing this. I just found those words so helpful as I try to plan my next steps for my own health.
have a lovely day everyone.

Riemontana
08-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Hello all.

fbs at 90 this morning. I was in the low 90's all day yesterday. I was feeling a little stressed out. It is amazing how that effects my sugar.

I lifted weights this morning. Except for the occasional twinge, I think my back is recovered.

Ruth, I am glad that you leg is starting to feel better. Good luck at battling the chinese buffet.

Carol and Trish :bday2you::bday2:

I hope everyone else is having a good day.

Rie

Wannabehealthy
08-23-2011, 11:36 AM
If you want to google Jack Layton to read about it, you will be inspired. Those words work for so much more than politics, but for anyone having a struggle and working toward a better or healthier future.

Being from the US I knew nothing about this, but I read his letter and agree that it was very touching, that someone who knew he was near death could write such a positive caring letter to his fellow countrymen.

And I admire your uncle for success with the South Beach diet and for knowing himself and his habits well enough to refrain from eating at a family gathering where there was probably so much good food! I hope I can get to that point at some time.

Carol

Floriduh
08-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Happy Tuesday!

CatholicCajun--Good going with your bs progress yesterday. Hope you have continued success this week.
Belated :bday2you:

Trish--Belated :bday2you: too!

fatmad--Glad you had such a nice time at your family picnic :) Great story about your uncle and his determination to keep his weight in check.

Rie--very good news that you are able to work out again, and your back is behaving again. :)

Carol--my dog rules the roost around here, and sleeps most anywhere he wants. Spoiled rotten, but he guards the yard all day and keeps all the lizards and squirrels on alert.

fbs 91 yesterday, 96 today. bs 71 after swim workout. Feeling good! Best wishes to all for a good day and excellent blood sugars!

Riemontana
08-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Just a quick note:

Fatmad, I missed your post this morning. You are right, we should be talking about him on this side of the boarder. An inspirational figure. A pity that we can't always view people of different opinions with an eye toward their humanity. Thanks for sharing
Rie

Ruthxxx
08-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks to Fatmad for posting Jack Layton's words of wisdom. He really was a great man. I spent six hours with him on a plane from Vancouver to Ottawa - not in First Class, by the way. We didn't talk politics but Life! He really was a great man and I'm so happy there will be a state funeral to honour him.

Avoided the Buffet yesterday :yay: and had a grilled cheese at home instead. Dinner was also under my control - veggie lasagna from the freezer stash plus salad. Protein was a tad low but I'll fix that today. BGL was 4.6 this morning - decent!

Food is planned for today and I am once again going to try fish. Yesterday I bought some Marina Del Ray Tilapia in orange mango sauce (http://www.marinadelreyfoods.com/orangemango.html) that's boil in the bag. Maybe that will help me get interested. I know I can take fish oil but I do want to overcome my aversion to fish which I think was instilled from my mother. Note that I did not buy salmon! It'll be a long time before I eat it again after last weeks barfing episode.

On we go to a Healthy Hump Day!

Wannabehealthy
08-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Food is planned for today and I am once again going to try fish. Yesterday I bought some Marina Del Ray Tilapia in orange mango sauce (http://www.marinadelreyfoods.com/orangemango.html) that's boil in the bag. Maybe that will help me get interested. I know I can take fish oil but I do want to overcome my aversion to fish which I think was instilled from my mother. Note that I did not buy salmon! It'll be a long time before I eat it again after last weeks barfing episode.

On we go to a Healthy Hump Day!

Ruth, I hated fish growing up, but now I realize it was because back then, fish had bones in it. I hated having to spit out a bone with every bite. Now I love fish since you rarely run into a bone. It also doesn't seem to have as strong a fishy taste as it used to. I love Talapia and salmon is a favorite also. But I still take the fish oil. It lowered my cholesterol and triglycerides so drastically it was unbelievable.

Carol

Riemontana
08-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Good Morning All!

fbs at 91 this morning. I seem to be hovering in the low 90's. Not sure why but it is a reasonable number so I won't worry. I had a back pain episode last night - pretty bad. Bummer, I thought I was over it.

Ruth, I hope you like the flavored fish. I have developed a taste for it. Prior to my diagosis, the only way that I ate fish was fried with a large side of potatoes.I have learned to like it with spices. I still am not fond of salmon. BTW, I take fish oil capsules even though I eat fish 2-3 times a week. I also take flax seed oil caps.

Fatmad, thanks again for sharing yesterday. I watched the news last night and didn't see one word. Everyone is all agog about the earthquake and Khaddafy.:(

Floriduh, nice bs control! I sure wish I could watch mine go down after a workout.

Carol, did you have a good birthday? It seems like you have made some drastic changes in your lifestyle. Everything seems to be working.

Well, sorry for anyone that I missed. Have a happy and healthy hump day.

Rie

gothik butterfly
08-24-2011, 01:48 PM
just a quick fly by. I'm still around. I log in nearly every day but don't have time for personals and nothing interesting goin on for me. Status quo. Which I guess is good, for the most part!

2 weeks yet until my next diabetes class and weigh in. I'm on track so I'm hoping to hit that 20 lb mark!

Finances have been insanely tight ... I haven't started Zumba classes yet and I know I should just get out and walk but blah. So no standard exercise yet. Hopefully with the weather cooling down and the leaves soon starting to turn it will motivate me to get out and walk. I love the fall.

Have a great rest of the week!
Kari

Ruthxxx
08-25-2011, 08:40 AM
I love the fall too, Kari. It's what follows that gripes me. As soon as this darned leg heals more, I'll be walking.

Well, I did have fish last night and really enjoyed it. I did it boil in the bag and think that really helped. It was quite tasty and I'll have the other portion next week probably over rice or quinoa. FBGL was 3.6 this morning and my ticker is truthful - for now!

Let's rename Thursday to Thirstday and drink extra water today. Drinking enough water is my downfall, especially now that the weather is a bit cooler. I need more than a glug to take pills twice a day!

fatmad
08-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Hi everyone: I am "batching it" with DH and DD and dog all gone to the cottage and me still home to work for a week. Oddly, its quite easy to stay on plan. I was worried I would be "free" to eat anything in the house, and would. But so far so good.
Had a night full of thunderstorms, but slept well anyhow, and getting ready for my work day. Planning yoga this afternoon, and maybe seeing baby Lilia if work doesn't interfere. The storm has brought on a few babies for my partners and they may need my help. I have no one due for a month, so hope to be active and eat regularly and otherwise stay on plan.
There is a new gym that has opened in the village where my office is. It also has one in the town near me, (where DD went to school). If they would consider a plan where I could go to either, that might be a good way for me to get some weight training in. I could also get a routine going at home. The yoga is good, I do a fair amount of mat work where I support my weight on my hands and arms, and do abs work, but maybe more weight training would help to sculpt things a bit more. Its not just the weight, but the tone, right?
And muscle will help burn the fat.
Have a lovely Thursday, the day has dawned sunny and not too hot, so will be great here.

Butterfly50
08-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Hey Ladies I am back on line. Thanks to cash for gold we took in all of our broken and unwanted jewerly and got enough to pay for the net and some other stuff too. I guess they said it was a great time to do it cause gold is at a high right now.
Been doing pretty good here have been busy for the last several days. My DD has been having trouble at school so they now have her set up where she can do her work on line at home and still be counted as being in school. I will be back to catch up later.

pattygirl63
08-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Good afternoon Everyone,

I have been so busy lately especially with our sweet little grandson. He definitely keeps me and his Mommy busy. He kept her up all night last night. I hope we can get him on a better schedule before she goes to school in October.

Things are going really good now that we are all adjusting to being together. The children are learning that they have to obey all of the adults and learning to clean up after themselves. They almost remember to turn lights off when they leave a room. LOL That is a major one for dear hubby and me since we don't know how much more utilities will be now that they are here and we are all on limited income especially since DD will be going to school instead of working. We enjoy the time we have together.

Ruthie I vote "yes" on Thirstday in place of Thursday. Hope that leg is better soon. Thanks for sharing about the boil in bag fish as I like fish but never can find a good way to fix it and DH only like Long John Silvers which we have to drive to far to get very often. I could definitely have the boil in bag fish which would be light... could have it when I have my last Metformin in the evening.

Fatmad Eating when I was alone was hard for me to break, but I finally did. When my husband was living who worked evenings and the kids were all gone, I realized that most of the time I didn't eat because I was hungry but because I was lonely. I also realized that when my sister and I were young that we had fun eating goodies our Mama made for all of us to eat only when Daddy was gone. I think that also reinforced psychologically with me that when the hubby leaves, you eat the things you really really like. I'm glad you are doing good with the eating while alone. Remember you've done so far which means that you can do it. Sounds like you have made an accomplishment that you can build on.

Butterfly50 BTW I like the name Butterfly. I love butterflies because the represent new beginnings to me. Glad you were able to get back on line. Hadn't thought about selling old broken jewelry. Don't know if I have much, but might check into doing that myself.

Well, I don't think I'm eating a lot, but it doesn't seem to be showing on the scale although my clothes seem to be getting loose. My FBS is in a good range for me according to the doc so maybe the scales will catch up sometime soon. Got a Bible study class tonight so I need to get ready to go. I will try to get better about checking in.

Y'all have a great evening.

gothic butterfly, Rie, and others reading :wave:

Butterfly50
08-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Trish yeah it was a susprise I have been collecting gold for 25 years now. we almost had a full ounce. well my dinners have been all out of wack the last couple of nights I will be getting back into my routine. plus I want to get into working out in the morning and then me and the girls walk two miles in the evening. But all else is well here.

Riemontana
08-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Good Evening!

My fbs has been in the low 90's today, I think as a result of considerable stress the last couple of days. I know that my eating has been on track.

I am looking forward to the next three days of being at home. I want to get in a 3 mile training walk and I also plan to do aerobics each day of the weekend. My back is still troubling me so I am going to stay away from the weights but concentrate on walking. I am doing a 5k walk at the end of the month.

Bonnie, that is too cool about your windfall. I never really knew that was actually real. I am glad that it brought you back to us.

Trish, it sound like the extended family thing is really comming together. I understand what you mean about eating alone. I feel like I have finally conquered that demon. I hope so, anyway. I do like the menu control that I have when eating alone.

Fatmad, I like your plans for the gym. When you say "cottage", is it what we would call a "cabin"? Like in the woods?

Ruth, I tried to make it thirstday today. I am really struggling to find a way to be better about getting the water in. I tend to sip on coffee all day and neglect hydration.

Kari, don't foget that this is about baby steps. Hang in there.

I hope that Irene will not be troubling any of you friends.

I hope that you all have a lovely evening and a pleasant morning.

Rie

Ruthxxx
08-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Quick check-in just to day my FBGL was 4.1 and weight is going down again. My leg is much less swollen, almost back to normal although still at the green stage of bruising. Yellow is next.

Challenge for today is a BBQ before the film festival tonight. I should be OK if I have just the chicken and avoid the potato and macaroni salads which always appear at these events. The so-called "cheesecake" will not be a problem either as I will save myself for some real cheesecake one of these days. The Dream Whip and canned pie filling version is not worth the calories or the guilt!

Happy TGIF to us all. Let's enjoy this last weekend of August!

Riemontana
08-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Good Morning!

fbs at 84 this morning. I did an hour of aerobics. My back is still bothering me but I really feel better over all if I work out.

Ruth I am glad that your leg is showing signs of healing. I totally agree with you about the fake cheesecake. I love the real stuff. Incidentally, true cheesecake is often less carbs than the puffy, no bake kind. I sometimes make myself some greek yogurt with 1/4 package sf chocolate pudding. If it chills, it tastes a lot like chocolate cheesecake.

Be back later for personals.
Rie

TamTam
08-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Trish-Happy Birthday-belated-sorry, this is my first chance to get on the computer since Monday.

Went for blood work this morning, just a check up on the A1C and other standard items, will go to my doctor Wednesday to go over the results, I sure hope it's not to increase the meds.

For all those who are going to be affected by Irene, your Louisiana neighbors are praying for you, we know, we've been there.

pattygirl63
08-26-2011, 08:33 PM
We're not supposed to even get rain from Irene. Hope she won't do a lot of damage north of us.

FBS was good and my weight was down some as well. It is only 7ish here and I am totally wiped out. Not really sure why. SIL and GS has gone to the 1st football game for GS school. DD and 2 GDs and baby stayed home. Hubby watching tv and I'm here.

CatholicCajun Thanks for the HBD wishes. Hope your blood work comes out great.

Rie I wouldn't want to be alone again, but I could stay on plan better if I was. That is a big change for me.

Ruthie Glad the swelling leg is going down and hope the bruising goes away soon. I agree about the cheesecake. I want the real thing when I eat it too.

Fatmad Hope you got to see bab Lilia. And hope you are enjoying "batching it".

Hope everyone has a great week end.

Riemontana
08-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Just a quick post. Fbs at 84 this morning. I did more than an hour of Walk it Out for over 10,000 steps. I drank a 100 cal protein shake before I started. My fbs was only 105 after I finished. Maybe my body is adjusting to the excercise. Hope so.

Have a great day!
Rie

Ruthxxx
08-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Can't say good morning as I'm late. Weight still holding and FBGL 4.1 again. I'm off to my nephew's wedding in a few minutes and will be strong! Driving home for a half hour on dark country roads will certainly keep me away from the wine!

Butterfly50
08-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Dont know what is really going on but I am not hungry but I feel like I need to eat something. trying to keep myself busy by learning some of the programs on my new computer. Plus I have been trying to add more names into my family tree program. I hope tomorrow will be better. I am wanting to get back into walking and working out. Been so busy this week and with all the rain I have not been able too.

Ruthxxx
08-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Good morning! Weight OK and BGL 3.7 so I survived the wedding feast! My dinner companion kept refilling my wine glass but I got him to stop by just not drinking it. This was an outside wedding on very hilly land so my legs are pretty sore this morning. I need to get back on the treadmill or walking soon!

fatmad
08-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Friday night I was able to talk myself into a walk, really had to push myself, but it felt good. I was still stiff from the challenging yoga class the day before. I didn't get any real exercise yesterday tho. Got a page in the middle of breakfast, and ate on the way to the hospital, and had a longer day than I thought I would, but all well and a lovely baby girl eventually born.
When I got home, I had a very good supper. The good thing has been I have been planning my meals. I was very tired and hungry when I got home, but knowing my plan helped me stick to plan. I didn't do that on Thursday evening after yoga, didn't have a good plan, and was really hungry after yoga, and needed to buy food, so I didn't quite stick to plan, but didn't go off too badly.
Weight seems to be going down an ounce at a time.
SPent the rest of last evening watching the state funeral for Layton, so beautiful and inspiring, but I cried through it all too. So emotionally and physically exhausted, had a good sleep afterward.
Started the day well, and will plan lunch and supper and for the next few days too. I plan to spend a few days at the cottage later this week, and looking forward to that.
I am really glad that Butterfly is back, and am so happy we are doing pretty well this summer. I haven't tested for a while, and will do a few this week.
Happy Sunday friends!

Riemontana
08-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Happy Sunday!

I was up late last night because I drank too much iced tea yesterday. Strangely, coffee doesn't keep me awake but tea sure does. Weird. I used fresh mint and stevia from my garden and the tea was really good.

fbs at 92 this morning but it stayed stable again as I worked out. I did WalkitoOut for one hour and 20 minutes - a new record for me. I got involved in the "game" aspects of it and I felt like I could have gone on forever but my calves were getting a little crampy. It was fun. I managed more than 12,500 steps.

Today I have a few minor chores and then I plan to spend some good time with a book and playing with gs.

Fatmad, I can't imagine how joyful it must be to bring new life into the world. It sounds like you are on to something with your planning. I made a list of quick dinner combos so I have ideas without deciding when I am hungry. I agree with you - this is certainly about having a plan.

Ruth, congrats about managing the wedding. I'm sure that walking the hills was hard on your leg.

Butterfly, I think that sometimes our bodies are adjusting to the "food is fuel" process and our hunger signals get mixed up and they need time to regulate when we start eating well. I know that I certainly felt "hungry" when I couldn't have actually been hungry. Sometimes now, I actually find myself getting into the "my body needs fuel" mode. Hopefully it will catch.

Trish, Carol, and others - I hope that you have a great and relaxing Sunday.

Rie

fatmad
08-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Rie: one problem I have with planning, is my dear husband. I love many things about him, and dislike a few. He is not a planner. This leads to conflict at times, and oddly, food is an issue. back when I lots of problems with low blood sugars, real hypoglycemia, he just didn't get that I had to eat at a certain time. It was years to get that through his head. And with DD in the last few years, we often didn't know what her plans were and if she would be home. I hope that with her gone, we will find some common ground with meal planning. Its easy for him to add a couple of potatoes or rice so he has carbs, and I hope we will do better this fall.
I am also envious that you others really do well with exercise on a regular basis. I am inspired to take a little walk now. ttfn

Ruthxxx
08-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Monday again and weight is still on hold but BGL is fine. My legs are very sore but I am going to force myself to walk down for the mail this morning. I feel that I am getting weaker and weaker lately and need the exercise.

Food has been good with lots of veggies and perhaps too much fruit. Today I have to do something with yet more tomatoes, an eggplant from my garden (seven more on the way!) and a spaghetti squash. If I keep on like this, there will be no room in the freezer for commercial salty frozen dinners! ... and that's a good thing!

Butterfly50
08-29-2011, 08:58 AM
I weiged in yesturday and down another pound and a half that makes 11 1/2. Last night our air conditioner went out. Thank god we have a little 110 to put in the living room and we jest blocked the rest of the house off. Now we are jest waiting on the landlord to call me back. Got to run have to get these girls to thier dr appoitment. Will be back later.

Wannabehealthy
08-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Rie, I have a question about protein shakes. Do you make your own or use the premixed? I bought some protein powder and was adding it to my morning glass of milk for some added protein. I think it helped to keep my hunger in check. But my son-in-law who lifts weights said that protein shakes make you gain weight. He was always thin, and I think the combination of the weight lifting and protein shakes increased his muscle and he considered that a "weight gain." What do you think? I want to go back to using the protein powder.

Carol

Riemontana
08-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Hi all!

Carol, I use either extreme low carb vanilla whey powder or unflavored powder when I make a mocha smoothie on the weekends. I add coffee, stevia, a little almond milk and ice in the blender. For just shakes (like before or after workouts) I really like the wonderslim shakes. 100cals, 6 - 8 carbs. Really good. I don't think they necessarily add weight unless you are consuming more calories. I think body builders use them in a different way and for a different purpose.

Bonnie, Good Job on the wieght loss!

Ruth, I hope your leg continues to improve. Glad that your bs is stable. Have you been avoiding those lows lately?

Fatmad, I hear you on the planning in the family. My ds and gs eat on my plan and schedule - ds prepares most of the meals when he is home. He has always lived a low carb lifestyle so it is fairly easy for him. As for the excercise, I can only do it if it is an absolute part of my routine. It is kind of all or nothing. If I skip a day, soon I am skipping weeks.

I am doing a 5k walk later this month with some of my employees as part of a Women's Expo weekend. I am really concerned that I don't hold anyone back - most are much younger than me. I have been getting ready and walking the distance. I think I will be ok. I have almost 3 more weeks to get ready.

Trish and others.... Hope you had a great day!
Rie

fatmad
08-29-2011, 09:54 PM
so several days on my own, pretty good with exercise (4 days of 5), really on plan, and I am down a pound! I am very pleased. BUT, I had few temptations. Only problems was hunger after yoga. Not as good on Thursday, but managed well today.
So, this teaches me more about preparing stuff, so that I don't get tempted when hunger. Still will have to work out about other temptations, like pies, cakes, cookies etc. and potlucks. Clearly, my diet works, as long as I stick to it. :D

I am really happy to hear about planning for a 5 k walk as an exercise goal. That is a great goal, doable and yet, not so overly athletic as to scare a newby away. I did one in June, but hadn't really trained at all, so was pretty pooped the next day.

I leave tomorrow evening for a few days at the cottage, (we call it a "camp" as we are in northern Ontario) and then home on Saturday and moving DD on Sunday. I am taking the laptop and internet with me, so won't be out of touch tho. Have a good night friends.

fatmad
08-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Monday again and weight is still on hold but BGL is fine. My legs are very sore but I am going to force myself to walk down for the mail this morning. I feel that I am getting weaker and weaker lately and need the exercise.

Food has been good with lots of veggies and perhaps too much fruit. Today I have to do something with yet more tomatoes, an eggplant from my garden (seven more on the way!) and a spaghetti squash. If I keep on like this, there will be no room in the freezer for commercial salty frozen dinners! ... and that's a good thing!

yes, Ruth, gentle exercise that won't harm the leg is important. GO for it.
How bout making some low carb lasagna, using the eggplant as noodles. A friend made this for me a while back, and I really enjoyed it. Everything yummy about lasagna, without the high carb. And I am not a big fan of eggplant. I found it delicious.

pattygirl63
08-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Quick flyby just to check in and say hi. Had a busy day as DH had the place removed from his ear today. Will find out Friday if it was okay. I'm too tired to read and do indies tonight so will try to do that tomorrow. FBS has been really good lately and I have lost a little weight but still can't get below the 220 mark. I'm close but not there yet. Just have to keep working at it. Till tomorrow. Good night.

Butterfly50
08-30-2011, 12:57 PM
So I must confess I made a Cheese cake last night .... But it was one on the Diabetic board somewhere. I used reg Cream cheese cause that all my local store had and sugar free Jello and Sugar free Cool Whip. Put it in a graham cracker shell. I had a very small piece I took a 1/4 of the pie and cut it into 3 small pieces. The whole family ate it and enjoyed it all said will give 5 stars to make again. I used orange jello so it was like a orange push up ice cream. It did the job from wanting to go in their and eat ice cream or cookies.

Numbers we ok this morning was 118. I have been doing good I think . People are noticing my weight loss already seems like I drop my face first. Its only 11 and 1/2 pounds but on the road to much better life style. I hope all is having a good day and will check back in later.

Butterfly50
08-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Jest noticed I updated my ticker and I have lost 13 pounds not 11 1/2:carrot::carrot:

Riemontana
08-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Hello All.

I couldn't get on the internet this morning so here I am - checking in over lunch. fbs has been in the low 90's all yesterday and today. I think it is stress. Tuesday is my early day so I didn't get a workout in this morning. It will probably be too hot for later today. Oh well, my goal is 5 days out of 7.

Bonnie, the cheesecake sounds great. I make that same recipe without the crust. It is good. 13 pounds is a really good amount of weight lost in a short time. I think you should be proud because you are leading your family into health.

Trish, I hope dh's ear recovers quickly. Hang in there. The weight will come down in time.

Fatmad, Great job on the excercise! I know that it is not your favorite way to spend your time. Have a great time at the "cottage".

I hope everyone else is having a good day. I will check in later.

Rie

Ruthxxx
08-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Good morning on the final day of August! It's been a roller-coaster month for me but my ticker is finally honest. I seem to have gained and lost the same four pounds all month and even saw 183 one morning. :(

BGL has been running fine this week with no major lows. Now to get back to exercising. The treadmill misses me!

Fatmad, I'd forgotten about eggplant lasagna and will make some for the freezer. One of my plants has seven fruits developing! I also am planting some kale for a fall crop if I can find the seeds. I am still loaded with chard and getting tired of it. And then there is the row of savoy cabbages. Cabbage rolls, anyone?

The last day of August! Let's make it a good one.

Butterfly50
08-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Good Morning this morning I was 108 . Last night I made some chicken legs with lite sodium soy sauce and molasses for dinner the family loved it. I need to find me a couple of good cook books. So far they are liking what they are eating.

Ruth I love egg plant and cabbage My garden didn't do squat this year it got hot to fast and stayed hot. Miss all them cucumbers, and Squash. Hubby said something about plating a winter crop. Well I better be getting off here my daughter is doing school at home four days a week and then going to school to get assigments for the next week on fridays so I have so much to get done before she has to sit down and do her English1 and Algebra 1. Check back later...

TamTam
08-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Ok, I have a question for the veteran diabetics. I know if you eat too much your glucose goes up, does this also happen when you don't eat enough? Going to the doctor at 11 to go over blood work and for a check up. Hope my numbers are good. Have a blessed day.

Wannabehealthy
08-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Jest noticed I updated my ticker and I have lost 13 pounds not 11 1/2:carrot::carrot:

You are doing great, Bonnie. Keep up the good work!

I had a bad day yesterday. DH made some macaroni and cheese for lunch and I ate some. Then I ended up having chicken parm for dinner and ate the pasta with it. During the evening I snacked on some M&M's. Not a lot, just a small handful. When I got up this morning my FBS was lower than it's been in months! What gives? Stuff like this is why I don't understand diabetes. I did not check my glucose last night. I wish I had checked it to see just how high it went after the poor eating I did.

Carol

Riemontana
08-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Good Morning

Today I woke to a fbs of 90. I did one hour and 15 minutes of aerobic walking and breakfasted on an apple with a little peanut butter. Lovely.

Today is an anniversary of sorts. One year ago today, I went to the lab to give a fasting blood draw for urgent labs to test for diabetes. I was terrified but I secretly knew the truth. On my way home, I went through a fast food drive-in for a bacon,egg, and cheese bisquit, cinnamon rolls, and a giant dr pepper. A few hours later the dr called and told me that I had diabetes. My A1c was 13.6, my cholesteral was 256 and I had borderline high blood pressure. At 50, I was racing to serious health complications or a heart attack. I had always considered myself a healthy fat girl. Annual blood work the year before had not shown diabetes, even though it runs in my family.

The dr (a dermatologist) was rather rude, saying about my diabetes, "it's not surprising - you are morbidly obese". She wanted to admit me to the hospital and when I resisted, she simply told me to find a dr to treat my diabetes. A couple days later (this was a holiday weekend) I went to the walk-in clinic and was blessed to be referred to my endocrinologist that afternoon. He and his staff have truly been a blessing.

I had a late afternoon appointment and I was such a puddle that I sat in his office for almost 2 hours and cried while he explained things to me and gave me prescriptions. He explained, in depth that diabetes was not a punishment for obesity and that I might have delayed the diagnosis but probably would not have prevented it. I was there so late that he had to escort me out of the office - the doors were locked because everyone else had left. I am not sure that most dr's would do that - stay until 630 pm with a new patient.

He explained a little about carbs and told me to "take baby steps" and start making changes that I could live with. I was horrified when he kindly told me that I was a candidate for gastric bypass. (no offense to anyone) I just had never considered myself to be that overweight. :?: I told him that I would lose weight and he encouraged me saying that 10% would make a difference.

I was on my way. At my one month appointment, he needed to switch my medication because my bs had dropped and I was having lows. At my 3 month, my A1C was 6.7 and he litterally did a happy dance.

One year later my weight is down 75 pounds and my last two A1C results were 5.5 and 5.0. My cholesteral is 168. My blood pressure is normal although I have stayed on a low dose to protect my kidneys.

I can't say that diabetes has been a gift. However, the new lifestyle that I have is certainly a gift. I look better, I feel better and I am more powerful and stronger than I have been in a long time. I don't know where my weight will stabilize but I can say that I am perfectly content with my eating plan and I feel a sense of accomplishment at my workout regime.

Sorry for this long and rambling post. I sincerely appreciate the companionship of those on this journey. I hope that my story helps someone.

Rie

pattygirl63
08-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Rie Great story. Thanks for sharing.

PollifaxFive
08-31-2011, 09:34 PM
@Rie, Thank you for sharing your story, and congratulations on your great success! You should very proud indeed. :)

fatmad
08-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Rie: that year anniversary is a biggie, and looking back you can feel so good about everything you have done. I was also pleased after a year to be improved, and now I am pretty happy with maintaining and not regaining, and hoping to lose some more, although my doc is pretty happy with where I am.
I think you have been doing great, and will continue to do it. Its worth it.

TamTam
09-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Rie I cannot thank you enough for telling us your story, it is truly an inspiration!:hug: I had a customer walk into one of my shops and she had lost a lot of weight, I asked her what was she doing and she said, I prayed and asked God to help me lose weight and He gave me Diabetes. I thought that an odd way of looking at it, but, I prayed also and my Diabetes may or may not be from Him, but like her, it has made me look at my life a little differently and has made me eat healthier and lose weight and just get more serious. My husband now has it, we are both Type II and I KNOW it's from our obesity, so now when people ask me how I am losing weight I will say I prayed to God to lose weight and He gave me Diabetes!

We are off today. We closed all three shops due to Tropical Storm Lee, we have been having horrible weather and we did not want to put our employees in danger by having them on the road on terrible weather condition.

Ruthxxx
09-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Cajun, join us in the September thread. I hope you don't sustain damage from Lee.