South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: kgs - 104/104/90 (initally)

Height: 164

Default No loss?

Hi, I've been on SB for 2 weeks now & I haven't lost anything. I cheated once last week (had a slice of cake instead of dinner), but I suppose that can't be it.

I was so excited to finally stick with a program, but I went off track yesterday after I weighed in. I've become so upset that I resorted to chocolate.

Is it normal? What else can I be doing?
Alicia84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #2  

Too much emphasis on the scale, too little on the lifestyle changes that are necessary for permanent weight loss. You weren't OP if you had cake and chocolate. Your portions could have been too large, did you weigh and measure a few to get an idea of what a normal portion looks like? Did you exercise? How much water did you drink? When we do the program as written, it works.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/125/123

Height: 5'4"

Default No weight loss either

I was just thinking about my lack of weight loss when I read your post. The scale hasn't really budged for me in the last month of doing P1.5, BUT I have lost 2 inches in my waist and an inch in my hips.

I get a lot of exercise at work so I think I've put on a lot of muscle, offsetting any weight loss.

So, what about you? are your pants looser? Is your belly flatter? Are you fitter/stronger?

It is very discouraging when the scale doesn't budge, but if you can find other metrics it really helps.

Don't be discouraged, it will pay off eventually.

Janet
Just Dance Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #4  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Why don't you post a typical menu or two - perhaps there is some hidden stuff that is tripping you up or that you aren't getting enough of X? Are you drinking lots of water? Little salt?

Hang in there...
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Too much emphasis on the scale, too little on the lifestyle changes that are necessary for permanent weight loss. You weren't OP if you had cake and chocolate. Your portions could have been too large, did you weigh and measure a few to get an idea of what a normal portion looks like? Did you exercise? How much water did you drink? When we do the program as written, it works.

I didn't exercise, just wanted to try changing my diet first.

I didn't count the calories, but I had it written. Here's a sample of the food I had most of the days. Please tell me if this is ok :

Breakfast - 2 eggs (either scrambled or boiled) with low fat cheese
Lunch - 2 chicken drumsticks (skinless) & salad
Dinner - salad with cheese

I allowed myself 2 granola bars a day for snack if I got hungry (but they're only 100calories a piece)

I had no fruits & bread, but I drank lots of water. I had a slice of cake last week & a bar of chocolate yesterday after the weigh in.

To be honest, I didn't measure myself, but clothes fit better. But I didn't exercise, so I thought that can't be muscle.

Last edited by Alicia84; 08-05-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Granola bars are not OP. Full of sugar and starch.
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

chicken drumsticks are not allowed. While skinless is good, I believe only white meat, or breast, is considered OP. It is written to specifically avoid chicken legs and wings.
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #8  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia84 View Post

I didn't count the calories, but I had it written. Here's a sample of the food I had most of the days. Please tell me if this is ok :

Breakfast - 2 eggs (either scrambled or boiled) with low fat cheese
Lunch - 2 chicken drumsticks (skinless) & salad
Dinner - salad with cheese

I allowed myself 2 granola bars a day for snack if I got hungry (but they're only 100calories a piece)

I had no fruits & bread, but I drank lots of water. I had a slice of cake last week & a bar of chocolate yesterday after the weigh in.
There aren't many veggies in that menu! (Unless your salads are HUGE and chock-full of vegetables, NOT including iceberg lettuce). If you eliminate the granola bars and start incorporating more veggies, that is a great place to start. The recommendation is 4.5 cups each day.

Also, SBD includes snacks and you didn't list any (except the occasional granola bar). It's a good idea to get protein in your snacks and a good way to sneak in more veggies - a trick I picked up after reading lots of people's menus here is cut up vegetables with hummus.

Good luck to you!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #9  

Also, where's the dairy?! Lowfat milk and yogurt can actually help aid in weight loss. And good fats? What do you put in your salad? Olive oil, avocado, and nuts are excellent sources of good fats that also help weight loss.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #10  

Thanks all for the input. Here's a reply to a few of you :

I'm not the world's biggest fan of vegetables, but I cooked some cabbage for dinner a few days ago (cabbage is the only cooked vegetable I can stomach).

I didn't know drumsticks were banned. Thanks for the info.

My dietitian asked me to not have dairy for the first 2 weeks, so I couldn't have milk or yogurt, which I love. I guess now the program I'm on isn't exactly South Beach. Any idea what type of diet this is?

Also, what does OP mean? I thought you guys meant original poster, but then realised that wasn't the meaning here

I just went through some of the recipes here, lots of ideas.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #11  

whoops, OP can mean either On Plan or original poster, i guess it depends on the context. Not sure what that would be without any dairy... maybe atkins? I'm not too familiar with that diet, but i don't see why a dietitian would recommend it. Unless you have a lactose intolerance or another health reason.
Definitely check out the weekly on-plan thread for menu ideas and try to get your veggies in. you don't have to eat them cooked. salads every day are perfectly acceptable if you eat a good variety of nutrient-packed vegetables. romaine, endive, kale, baby spinach, etc are a good base. then add tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, artichoke hearts, olives, beans, lowfat cheese... i love salad and can easily get in my 4.5 cups of vegetables if i make one for a meal.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #12  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

In addition to what my friends above said, I can only recommend that you read the book - get a good grasp on what it entails and then figure out if it's right for you (and maybe check in with your dietician?). Good luck!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote