Carb Counters - HELP! Lunch @ Mexican today, what to eat?!

Peaches5577
08-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Hey all. I need your advice! I am going out to lunch with a freind today (scary because I have been SO good at staying OP planning my own lunches) and she has chosen Mexican food. We have a great restaurant near my work, but I am really freaking out about what to have for lunch.

Ideas?

em30001
08-05-2011, 11:44 AM
The chicken tortilla soup is always a good option. Usually mexican restaurants offer a soup/salad type deal for lunch. If they start with a chips basket, keep it to around 10-12 chips. Look around for a grilled chicken salad on the menu, usually they offer some good low fat vinagrettes to dress the salad with. Just some tips. Have a nice lunch!

jessilynn95
08-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Get the fajitas, but skip the tortillas. Just eat the meat/veggies with maybe some sour cream.

bargoo
08-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Skip the chips ! Avoid the guacamole ! Skip the Flan ! Skip the Corona ! I'd go for the tortilla soup.

SouthLake
08-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Are you going off carb count alone, or do you account for fiber as well? Beans are carby, but full of fiber. I usually get an entree with something like fajitas, skip the tortillas, no rice, double beans (though I usually only eat half) and enjoy a little sour cream and cheese. Skipping the chips is hard, but it's always eaiser for me to have none at all than to have just a few. You can also get enchiladas and eat just the filling, or ask for a burrito without the tortilla.

I actually like Mexican food when I'm watching my carbs (though I'm not a carb counter per say, just avoid the unhealthy ones) I like the fullness of some beans with my meal, and the flavors are always fun.

nikkinouille
08-05-2011, 01:06 PM
I used to get a combo w/ a chicken quesadilla, hard shell taco w/ beef, and a chalupa. Most the time I ate all of it minus a few bites. I don't know how! Lol. Now I get a taco salad. It comes in a tortilla type shell thing, which I don't eat of course. I get it with lettuce, chicken, pico de gallo, and a little bit of sour cream and guac. Much healthier choice, but I guess it'd depend on your personal goals.

Jen516
08-05-2011, 01:37 PM
I find it easier to avoid the chips altogether... 5 chips isn't gonna cut it for me! If I have a few, it's harder to stop. If I have none, I don't have a problem.
As for what to order:
Fajitas with just one tortilla, avoid the cheese and sourcream, I do eat a bit of avocado.
I almost always order one taco, NOT deep fried (they'll prepare it soft) with no cheese. And I eat like half the rice and beans.
If you can get a taco salad that's reasonable -- lettuce, tomato, veggies, chicken -- that's a great choice, but only if you can do it without dressing, cheese and sour cream!
Let us know how it went!!

Peaches5577
08-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Thank you guys so much for all of the advice. I simply cannot do the soup today. I have never been a soup fan and its over 100 degrees outside :-) I will either go for the taco salad, or the fajitas. I have to ask though, why no guacamole?

nikkinouille
08-05-2011, 03:08 PM
It is higher in calories & fatty (although some people consider it "good" fat). I personally don't see a problem with it in moderation. Don't go overboard with it. But also depending on what diet you are following, you may just want to skip it.

xxkaleidoscopic
08-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Honestly, I think guac is a pretty good fat, as long as you're not shoving down a ton. One spoonful of guac is a good amount.

Peaches5577
08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
OK I am very proud of myself. I had three tortilla chips with salsa. Didnt have any more because I honestly didnt think they were as good as I had remembered. :-) Then I ordered the lunch sizes chicken taco salad. It was very simple. lettuce, good amount of chicken, very small amount of cheese and i had one spoonful of guac for dressing. Perfect! And no, I was not even tempted to eat any of the shell.
YEAH FOR ME! hehehe

nikkinouille
08-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Yay! Good job. Or should I say, "buenoooo". Haha. I love taco salads! Hope you enjoyed :)

bargoo
08-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Good choices !