Old 08-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #1  

Height: 5"10

Default Help (newbie!)

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie-to this forum AND weight watchers! I've done weight watchers many years ago and just re-joined so with the new points+ I feel like I'm learning all over again!
I'm on day 2...and already worrying haha! I just find I'm eating SO much more then I ever did before...which makes me worry that I'm going to gain weight my first week! The last 2 days I've had breakfast (bowl of cereal with milk and a yogurt) for the first time in years...based on my points (which is 51 a day right now) I just find I'm having to eat a LOT of food to get all my points eaten...more food then I've ever eaten before and I'm finding it hard because fruits/veggies are 0 points...Yesterday for lunch I had a turkey sandwich on grain/wheat bread with mustard and low fat cheese (9.5 pts) a small craisons pack (2 points) cucumbers (0) and an apple (0) and that was only 11.5 and I was STUFFED...by the end of the night I still had 7 points left over that I didn't use (not counting the 7 exercise points I earned) but I was SO full I couldn't possible eat anymore yesterday to hit all 7 points!
This morning after breakfast (which I eat a bit later because I'm not hungry first thing in the morning) I'm supposed to have a snack and then lunch then a small snack and dinner....its 11am right now and I can't even IMAGINE/fathom having my snack (20 crackers with a cheese string) but if I don't eat it then I won't reach my points! I'm not sure if it's from the water I've been drinking thats keeping me full...but I just dont know what to do!

I hope all of this is making sense...the short version-I feel like I'm going to gain weight because I'm eating SO much more then normal & I can't eat all my points because it's just SO much food!

HELP lol
The End :P
Mamalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248/167/150

Height: 5'6

Hi Mamalk and welcome to our humble abode! I think many people think that their points are higher and that they are not sure how they will ever eat all their points. Believe me... the points will be going down, and then you will be thinking that you dont have enough points!! You have been given 51 based on your current weight and other statistics and they have calculated that your body needs the calories and nutrients of 51 points to lose weight at your current range. As you lose weight your points will go down because your requirements will go down. All i can say... is trust the system and try it out to the best of your ability. Its okay to not eat a few of your points, but strive to get close to them. You can do it!
mercuryblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 248/167/150

Height: 5'6

Also, a lot of us never eat those activity points or their weekly 49 points, you will tend to find out what will work best for you to lose the weight. Keep posting and letting us know how you doing!
mercuryblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #4  

Height: 5"10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryblue View Post
Hi Mamalk and welcome to our humble abode! I think many people think that their points are higher and that they are not sure how they will ever eat all their points. Believe me... the points will be going down, and then you will be thinking that you dont have enough points!! You have been given 51 based on your current weight and other statistics and they have calculated that your body needs the calories and nutrients of 51 points to lose weight at your current range. As you lose weight your points will go down because your requirements will go down. All i can say... is trust the system and try it out to the best of your ability. Its okay to not eat a few of your points, but strive to get close to them. You can do it!
Its funny because before I'd eat basically just lunch and dinner and eat junk at night-and I'd still be hungry! Now I'm full ALL day! I just wish I could force myself to be hungry and eat all my points! Maybe as time goes on my body will be used to this much food and by lunch I'll be starving rather then gagging when eating because I'm so full haha
Mamalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: (HW 330) this time 260/230/175

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Mercury; trust in the system and eat as best you can to get as close as you can to the points.
I lost so much better when I eat all my ponits than when I am under. Your milage may vary of course, but just take a couple of weeks to get into the flow of things and see how it goes Welcome by the way!
Jerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/254/130

Height: 05'3

ok well i started weightwatchers plus and never go over my points for the day and have been following it but ive lost nothing whatsoever. whats going on??? ive posted before asking for asome advice but have gotten no response.... ive done points plus before and was losing 5-8 pounds a week but stopped because i had some medical issues that i had to address... any advice or input please
parbtani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:59 AM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome to both the forums & to WW =)

Quick notes - No half points. PointsPlus doesn't work that way. There are no .5's on the plan. So you may want to go back and check. It's WW math (as my leader used to say). Double the serving might be triple the points, and half the serving might be the same number of points. It's based on the Macronutrients. Always go back to the fat/carbs/fiber/protein to recheck.

In the beginning it can often seem like a lot of food. I began at 51 Points, and I still sometimes struggle with 48.

Don't force yourself, but do consider your food choices carefully. It's okay to pick things like full fat dairy, nuts, avocado, peanut butter, whole grain foods to keep your points higher, but stay satisfied with the volume of the food. It sounds counter-intuitive, but you're able to eat a few more Points without feeling super stuffed.

The Points will go down over time, so do the best you can to get as close to that daily target number as possible.

I promise you that you are not eating more calories now than you were before when you gained the weight. It might feel like more food due to the volume, but it's not more calories.

The first couple weeks especially it's important to allow yourself time to learn and fit things in. You can do it =) Be patient.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:02 AM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by parbtani View Post
ok well i started weightwatchers plus and never go over my points for the day and have been following it but ive lost nothing whatsoever. whats going on??? ive posted before asking for asome advice but have gotten no response.... ive done points plus before and was losing 5-8 pounds a week but stopped because i had some medical issues that i had to address... any advice or input please
1) 5-8 lbs a week for long term weight loss is likely VERY unhealthy depending on your starting weight. In fact, that might have been a lot of muscle loss if you were at it for months. (Not a healthy thing.)

2) How long have you been following the plan? Are you tracking every single bite? Did you bring your weekly tracker to your meeting leader and show them so that they can take a look?

Write down your detailed list of food and points for the last week, and let 3FC members look over it to see where improvements can be made.

3) If you replied to other threads it's very easy for a single post to get lost. If you have a question, you can easily create a new thread so that people will actually see you have a separate question you need answered.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #9  

thankyou very much and yes i do keep track of everything i eat. i eat alot of low point foods.and am always on the go so its alot of microwaveable food i dont make my food at home.but yes i did find it very wierd that i am not losing weight at all.at my weight and height of 5'3 im supposed to eat 39 points and i barely make it to 28 points a day its alot of food!!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #10  

does it matter how healthy the food is i mean im sure its better ifyou eat healthier but i would think as long as your within your points you would lose weight regardless.

B- 2 BOTTLE OF WATERS
1 CUP OF WATERMELON
1 BAGEL (5 POINTS)
1 WW STRING CHEESE (1 POINT)

SNACK- BROCOLLI AND CHEESE (3 POINTS)
1 DIET COKE

L- 1 ROMAN SOUP (8 POINTS)
1 APPLE
1 CHICKEN EGGROLL (3 POINTS)
2 BOTTLES OF WATER

SNACK- CHICKEN EGGROLL (3 POINTS)
1 BOTTLE WATER

D- 1 PREPACKEGED MEAL MAC AND CHEESE (5 POINTS)
1 CHICKEN PATTY (5 POINTS)
2 BOTTLED WATERS
Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 295.6/ticker/140-130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
at my weight and height of 5'3 im supposed to eat 39 points and i barely make it to 28 points a day its alot of food!!
That right there might be your problem. Going under your points daily may be putting your body into starvation mode which causes it to hold on to calories and store them as fat, making you either stay the same or gain weight. I would experiment with eating all your daily points for a week and see what happens. You could do that by adding full fat dairy in, nuts, oils, etc.

The first few weeks of a diet people sometimes have to experiment with the diet to see what works for them ie: eating all dailies but no weeklies, eating weeklies too, eating all/none/some of activity points etc etc. Its a little trial and error, but it will work.

In theory, as long as you stay within your points you should lose weight, but eyeballing your tracker, you seem to have a lot of salt, which may be causing water retention. It shouldn't affect your weight loss, but its not necessarily healthy for people with high blood pressure etc.

Finally, in my experimenting since the beginning of March when I started PP, I find that I have to eat a good amount of fruits and veggies to lose weight. I hit a little greater than a month plateau where I had gotten away from the fruits and veggies (still eating my daily points though). Once I reincorporated fruits and veggies (but still eating my daily points, so actually eating MORE), I started to lose again--2 lbs the first week, 4 the next. I don't expect that rate to continue, but it goes to show that WW's emphasis on fruits and veggies was done for a reason.

Good luck!
Erin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #12  

thnx for the advice and i will try it out asap. and thank you for answering my post lol! looking foward to getting new people and seeing a new me
Old 08-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #13  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
thankyou very much and yes i do keep track of everything i eat. i eat alot of low point foods.and am always on the go so its alot of microwaveable food i dont make my food at home.but yes i did find it very wierd that i am not losing weight at all.at my weight and height of 5'3 im supposed to eat 39 points and i barely make it to 28 points a day its alot of food!!
Quote:
does it matter how healthy the food is i mean im sure its better ifyou eat healthier but i would think as long as your within your points you would lose weight regardless.

B- 2 BOTTLE OF WATERS
1 CUP OF WATERMELON
1 BAGEL (5 POINTS)
1 WW STRING CHEESE (1 POINT)

SNACK- BROCOLLI AND CHEESE (3 POINTS)
1 DIET COKE

L- 1 ROMAN SOUP (8 POINTS)
1 APPLE
1 CHICKEN EGGROLL (3 POINTS)
2 BOTTLES OF WATER

SNACK- CHICKEN EGGROLL (3 POINTS)
1 BOTTLE WATER

D- 1 PREPACKEGED MEAL MAC AND CHEESE (5 POINTS)
1 CHICKEN PATTY (5 POINTS)
2 BOTTLED WATERS
I'm noticing a lot of salty/packaged foods.

WW does emphasize staying within your points, but it could be possible that you're having a lot of water retention OR... some people also have to change what they're eating in order to see weight loss.

It might mean you have to take a day and plan out/cook foods that will keep in your fridge or freezer for a week so that you can grab them easily.

Looking at your menu, I'm thinking... more greens/veggies. You have a couple choices of fruit, and that's good where it's at, but definitely more veggies.

If you're having a lot of trouble getting in points, remember things like Nuts, Daily Oils, Whole Wheat Grains, Peanut Butter, Full Fat Dairy Products.

It sounds a little strange, but if you have a good 10 points left for the day, an ounce of nuts will take most of those away in a healthy manner
Old 08-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #14  

will def try it out ladys will be doing some grocery shopping today and starting to go to the gym again should help out some